IGNORED

MEGA-CONTEST! The Room 34 Adventure Challenge

Room 34

Am I right in thinking no one solved the box art question?

I got slightly thrown by the alternate bat puzzle, partly because the CX list I had wasn't fully up to date, and partly because I was expecting the name of a certain game to be "The Last Starfighter", and hence didn't consider it to begin with :roll:

Am I right in thinking no one solved the box art question?

That is correct.

I realize in retrospect I really should've swapped the positions of the word search and the "crossed-words" in the sequence of challenges. Oh well... I will just apply this knowledge to my NEXT contest! :twisted:

Two Yar's Revenge boxes! I never thought of two variations of the same game from the same company.

:twisted:

I really should've directed all of you to my earlier game art contest. I did that trick then too... two different versions of the Infiltrate box!

Here's the old thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27110

Huh? Then how did anyone win? :?

It's all explained in the answers. :D

If you get the Box Art Mystery wrong, the bat steals the gold key. Then when you go back to the Gold Castle later, the bat is there with the key and a DIFFERENT challenge for you to get the key back!

You've returned the chalice, but there is more to this contest than meets the eye! You're not through yet. Can you unlock the secret and win?

:?

Oops!

I neglected to explain how to get to the final challenge!

HOW TO GET TO THE FINAL CHALLENGE:

Once you have returned the chalice to the Gold Castle, you're not yet finished! You have to go back to the chalice room in the Black Castle, where you may notice there is a DOT ( :twisted: ) next to the corpse of Rhindle!

Click on the dot to add it to your inventory. Once you've done that, you get access to the "Easter egg" room, which is in the same place as in the actual Adventure game. That is where you find the final challenge question.

Room34, this was one messed up contest. I guess my unwillingness to print the word search out didn't help. :) I still don't know how anyone realized where to cut the puzzle and how and why those letters in Phoenix are highlighted. I'm still stumped, I will just go through now and enter all the answers :)

Room34, this was one messed up contest. I guess my unwillingness to print the word search out didn't help. :) I still don't know how anyone realized where to cut the puzzle and how and why those letters in Phoenix are highlighted. I'm still stumped, I will just go through now and enter all the answers :)

The placement of the broken up RUBIKS and CUBE gave a hint where to cut it up, and also how to put it together! (You had to line them up to say CUBERUBIKS... because I'm cruel!)

As for the highlighted letters... those were just to indicate that those letters were already "used." The goal here was to eliminate all of the letters that were NOT part of the hidden question.

First you eliminate all of the letters in the game titles that were visible in the regular search. Next you eliminate every other horizontal row and every other vertical column. Those letters were yellow because they had already been eliminated, but they were the only ones among the eliminated letters that weren't completely erased by being on the alternating lines! (So, basically... finding the first 16 games was mostly just a big waste of time. :P )

Maybe I can explain it better by going back to this image:

3_1.gif

You see... if you look at this image... ALL of the highlighted titles occur on the alternating lines that get erased... EXCEPT Obelix and Phoenix. So when you eliminate the alternating lines, all of the yellow letters get deleted except every other letter in Phoenix and Obelix.

I have no clue what the significance of the  

"X N O P O E I" is.. and also the highlighted "T N U R D A U Q T N" in the 3rd and 4th step.

C'mon now... :ponder:

Still no clue about the XNOPOEI , and with the Quadrun, what's with the framing T's? :?

As noted above, the XNOPOEI are the alternating letters from Phoenix and Obelix. As for TNURDAUQTN... The first T is the T in Taz (diagonal) and the last T is the T in Joust (diagonal)... and the N is at the end of Ms. Pac-Man (horizontal at the bottom).

K i see it now. But I still think the whole deal of 1) dividing up the puzzle into 4 pieces; and then 2) removing alternating lines.. :dunce: Is it me or is that just really an OBSCURE solution. Did the people who got it initially really figure that out and do that? :?

Put it this way, Yeah I saw the rubiks cube inference. I had each letter in it's own cell in a spreadsheet. However my method of shifting was entirely off.

the way I'd shift would be...

i.e.

a b c d

e f g h

i j k l

after moving the right 2 columns down one row, would turn into

a b k l

e f c d

i j g h

..since the letters would wrap around. Similar to a Rubiks Cube :P I must Course it was far more simpler it turns out.. yet just as obscure.

Ahh well.. those are some pretty craaaazy puzzles there dude ;)

Did the people who got it initially really figure that out and do that? :?

Yes, they did! :P

I agree it is obscure. I figured more people had worked with Ben's word search, and would've been able to figure it out. Had I realized how hard it would be, I would've put it near the end instead of so early in the contest.

I agree it is obscure.

I agree here too. :)

I almost immediately (Th) got the idea of shifting the rows and columns and also realized that I had to fit the two Rubiks Cubes together again. But there where many possible solutions to that problem and even if I once would have gotten the right one (IIRC I hadn't) I most likely would not have realized that it was right. And then I found some fragments of other games (hunt, haun, ystal), which didn't fit into any pattern and confused me even more.

Maybe some hidden clue that somehow hints to the 2nd group of the games would have been a good idea? Something like "Every second counts!" (as we say in Germany).

Anyway, I suppose I am somehow "spoiled" by the different logic of Ben's puzzles. :D

Anyway, I suppose I am somehow "spoiled" by the different logic of Ben's puzzles. :D

I think the main difference is that Ben actually did put some logic into his puzzles in the first place!

I provided a couple of clues, but in retrospect they were not really enough.

My next contest (which I am guessing will come when I have around 6000 posts, based on my previous track record) should be better....

I provided a couple of clues, but in retrospect they were not really enough.

Well, at least two people where able to solve the word puzzle.

Though I still wonder how exactly they did... :ponder:

My next contest (which I am guessing will come when I have around 6000 posts, based on my previous track record) should be better....

PLEASE don't wait that long :!: :!: :!:

Well I got the wordsearch done too remember without any help ;)

I spotted the trick very early on... I just didn't fully grasp the full nature of how it worked to produce the master question until later on, after Keir and Chuck had beaten it.

You mean that the Robsterman forgot to click the Up arrow on the final Easter Egg puzzle? Unbelievable!

Truth be told, the Robsterman could not get past the second question. A Filmography would have been apparent, looking back at it now.

Kudos for an unbelievable puzzle. That one had the Robsterman stumped. Big time.

Congratulations for solving that Rubic's Cube type puzzle.

Also, sometimes people take many hours out of their lives to create a challenge-type game of this magnitude. It is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, puzzle man.

And now, this is the Robsterman, signing off, in 14th place, but looking forward to the next challenge.

Hmm...at your current posting rate, you'll hit 6000 in just about 201 days! :)

As for the Word Search Puzzle, had I not got carried away, I may have solved it much quicker.

When I first looked at it, I saw the Rubiks, the three different versions of Cube, a Yar by itself, so I figured that had to have something to do with the solution.

So I start finding the words and get to about 12 when all of a sudden, I see "What Movie" staring at me from the right-hand side.

So rather then continue, I just tried to guess the name of the movie, being sure to leave out Star Wars as it was just too obvious. :)

For your next contest....any ideas as for a theme yet? Perhps it doesn't have to do with Atari (exactly) and you could use a Zork theme. :)

Cap