IGNORED

MEGA-CONTEST! The Room 34 Adventure Challenge

Room 34

Unfortunately, I already know what "group" of game titles I'm looking in, so this doesn't help me much. But I'll keep looking.

I feel like an idiot because I printed out the word search, have cut it into several smaller pieces and swapped them around, but still nothing conclusive.  :sad:

Looks like almost everybody (except a few lucky ones) are stuck at the very same point. And the clue didn't help me too. :(

Unfortunately, I already know what "group" of game titles I'm looking in, so this doesn't help me much. But I'll keep looking.

I feel like an idiot because I printed out the word search, have cut it into several smaller pieces and swapped them around, but still nothing conclusive.  :sad:

Looks like almost everybody (except a few lucky ones) are stuck at the very same point. And the clue didn't help me too. :(

uhhh.. doesn't look like you're having THAT much trouble since you're listed as one of the winners :roll:

uhhh.. doesn't look like you're having THAT much trouble since you're listed as one of the winners :roll:

No, I was bored and just have cheated! :D

Check again!

Thomas has entered a gray area of manipulation of the contest here. However, since what he did merely exposed my laziness in how I constructed the winners page, and did not get him ANY closer to solving any of the puzzles, I am going to allow the contest to continue. I am, however, attempting to shore up that little loophole so no one else abuses it.

:(

In fairness to all, I will tell you what Thomas did that got his name on the winners list.

He found that if he manually typed into the address bar the code that makes the arrows work, he could view rooms he was not authorized to access yet, like this:

javascript:roomLink(6)

Go ahead and try it now... I have fixed the problem. :P

It is only fair to give an additional piece of information. Like Spinal Tap's guitar amps, the number of rooms in this contest goes to 11.

I regret that I have had to fix minor bugs like this as the contest has been running. It's my own fault for not spending a few weeks (or even a few DAYS) QA testing before I launched it.

However, no "bugs" that have been uncovered so far have in any way affected the outcome of the contest, so I feel it is fair to keep it going. Keir DID complete all challenges and win fair and square, and everyone else who is competing now has the same chance of winning.

Congratulations to Chuck Gill for winning second place!

There's still one prize left (a thrilling $5 credit at the AtariAge Store!!!) but more importantly, everyone who completes the challenge gets the satisfaction of completing it and gets their name enshrined on the Winners page!

Once all three winners are selected, I will begin revealing answers to the challenges... but for those of you who are doing this "for fun," I will refrain from revealing everything right away. (I may just give you the word search though... there's too much more fun stuff beyond it to have everyone cash out so early!)

Awesome contest! Glad I did it.

My wife helped me with the puzzles, she can blorple a cube like nobody's business. All those years of Infocom games have proved their worth. I'll have to split the prize with her.

Don't drop out! After the insane word search puzzle, it is a lot more fun and less complex.

Chuck

OFFICIAL CLUE #2

"Enough with ye Olde English," said the Evil Magician. "I was never any goode at it anyway."

He pondered what to say next. "This word search I have created is far more difficult than I had imagined. All this effort, merely to slay Grundle! Even Rhindle's Riddles are not such a challenge!"

The Evil Magician rubbed his eyes. "I am weary. Perhaps I should simplify matters. But I still want to give these adventurers some challenge to overcome."

"OK," said the Macigian. "I will give these adventurers two simple visual clues to unlock the secret."

Visual Clue #1:

puzzle.jpg

Visual Clue #2:

stripes.gif

Sorry about that.

To 'Blorple the cube' was a reference to the Infocom Enchanter Trilogy. The sequel to the Zork Trilogy. It was sort of a difficult puzzle plus (sort of) a tesseract reference from the game Spellbreaker. We played all of these games together years ago. Yeah we were nerds even back then.

From the Encyclopedia Frobozzica -

Blorple, Explore an object's mystic connections. Often when cast on a cube it would transform you and the cube to another location.

For more info Google "blorple"

Chuck

A quick Q for you Chuck about the box art puzzle... do you need all 23 or did you get away with less? If so, how many did you identify in the end? I'm up to 10 so far but it's very slow going as I've gotten rid of all of the "easy" ones I think...

A quick Q for you Chuck about the box art puzzle... do you need all 23 or did you get away with less? If so, how many did you identify in the end? I'm up to 10 so far but it's very slow going as I've gotten rid of all of the "easy" ones I think...

I really wanted to find them all, but I guessed my answer to the challenge at 16 positive id's.

Chuck