IGNORED

Star Fire Elite Squadron!

Albert

I got my Star Fire cartrige today (thanks Al) and I got the 3500 within 20 minutes of playing. I plan on getting a better score but don't have the time right now.

Cool, I am sure you will challenge (and probably beat) my highscore. :)

Looks like I do have time, I was going to go hang some drywall with a friend, but he said he doesn't need me, so I will put some more time into it today.

What was your high score again? I just don't want to go diggnig thru this thread to find it and it doesn't seem to be a submitted score on the starfire page.

The difficulty ramps up quite a bit right at 3000, making it hard for me to get past that wave at all, let alone get more than 3500.

• 3 weeks later...

Nine left. I just e-mailed my score in.

This took about a dozen attempts, including a couple that just barely missed:

nssf3714.jpg

I just got Star Fire today (along with a couple of other homebrews), and this is up there with the best 2600 games! Great action, great graphics and sound, an unbelievable number of enemies onscreen at the same time, and a first-rate tribute to the arcade original. Extremely challenging, but without being frustrating. Very fun!

It would be interesting to see what would have happened if this had come out in the early 80's. I think it would have been a big hit! Certainly it beats the pants off of the 2600's other first-person shooters.

I'd gladly recommend this to anyone with a 2600. In fact, I think I'll go write up a review...

Hi there!

Nine left. I just e-mailed my score in.

Congrats! So it's the "final countdown" now ;)

This took about a dozen attempts, including a couple that just barely missed:

nssf3714.jpg

I'd gladly recommend this to anyone with a 2600. In fact, I think I'll go write up a review...

Wow, thanks! The third custoner review it got and the third 5/5 rating! :o

Greetings,

Manuel

What was your high score again? I just don't want to go diggnig thru this thread to find it and it doesn't seem to be a submitted score on the starfire page.

It's not on the page, because I already got my patch directly from Manuel.

I still think that there should be a highest score mention on the Elite Squadron page. I think 6671 would take that honor right now.

Me? I have yet to get past 3800. *sigh*

Buck

I got my cartridge in the mail yesterday, but didn't get to play it until tonight. It took me about 1.5 hours to break 3500, though I had 3100 or so on my 4th game. 4027 is my best so far.

Manuel - great game, I think the difficulty curve is spot on.

post-4778-1088659870_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the recognition guys!

I actually owe thanks to StanJr. I couldn't score above 2600 in about 100 tries. I read through this very thread for hints and tips, and saw where Stan suggested the advanced setting. I thought to myself "no way! that's gotta make it impossible!" the first try I broke 3200 and got my 3554 on the second try. This is really a fun and challenging game.

What was really exciting was when I ended the 6th wave (I think it was 6th) and my score was 3484 with 3 shields left. I knew all I had to hit was 2 ships to break 3500. I sat staring at the screen for like 5 minutes taking deep breaths. All I was able to hit was like 2 tie fighters and a couple of the shield diamonds. It brought back memories of hitting the goal with the Activision games and snapping the old polaroid!

Are there any other homebrews still available with patches left to win?

I don't know of any other homebrews that even offered patches.

I don't see any way to make the squadron without playing with the difficulty switch on A.

Other tips:

Don't waste your shots on enemy fire unless you have to. I try to steer almost every shot off the screen and then steer back after the shot has passed and shoot the tie fighter. This way you keep the lasers cool so you have them for when you need them.

I always go for the diamond, death star, etc. I seem to get my highest scores when I concentrate on them.

I don't know of any other homebrews that even offered patches.

X3V0LuX offered a patch but I don't know if any were given out. I could never get the email I sent to not bounce. I posted my score in the Contest section of AtariAge but no one replied. I love the patch concept and am hoping that they'll still give them out.