IGNORED

S-video for the 7800?

johnnywc

Hello all,

Now that I'm waiting for the CC2 for my 7800, I was wondering if there are any composite/svideo solutions for the 7800 out there? I have the Cybertech s-video upgrade for the 2600 (and the 8bitdomain s-video upgrade for the 5200), but haven't heard of anything similar for the 7800. I heard somewhere that you can upgrade the video for the 2600 mode of the 7800 using a 2600 mod - is this true?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Is this another Chris Wilkson design?

Inquiring minds need to know  :D  

-Lee

I know Chris said he was planning on doing a 7800 one and was trying to have it available for this years CGE.

I don't know if this is the one Tempest is refering to or something different.

Mitch

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I modified my 7800 with the S-video and RCA audio output method described here: http://www.geocities.com/atari7800mod/7800...nstruction.html

It works very well, except that the color and brightness for each pixel is offset a bit horizontally for 7800 games. No such problem for 2600 games, and it still looks better than RF out even with the problem.

If you don't want to wait, there's already a how-to in 7800 FAQ but it's a PITA to get it right as you'd have to wire up 4 Luma, 2 different Chroma, and audio to get output. Then you'd need to use a couple 7800 and couple 2600 carts to play with the chroma setting until the color looked right.

• 2 weeks later...

Im working on one atm.. like my 2600 mod im trying to find a nice balance of price/quality. I should be able to have a nice, very tweakable mod out within a month or two, interested parties please pm:) My units will be fitted to the 7800 (you have to buy a console but I may take trade ins) The consoles will be recon'd as well (not really much to reconing a 7800, much more advanced than a 2600) Im thinking rought $75 a unit

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got the Saundby "atari7800mod" working tonight. I'd been spending a few evenings getting the board assembled. I made a board literally as small as possible. There's only two columns that don't have resistors on them. I'll have to post a picture on Monday just to show it off.

One bit of advice... don't forget to hook up the ground! The first thing I hooked up and tried to test was the audio. It was real quiet. I was worried that I'd have to add an amplifier transistor or something. Then I realized I hadn't hooked up the ground wire yet. DOH! I was surprised that I had gotten that much audio without a proper ground.

The really wierd part was hooking it up to an HD-ready TV set with line doubling turned on. The TV had twice the resolution in both directions, so the 7800 pixels were four TV pixels. It was like I was playing an Intellivision game. I didn't see too much of the venetian blinds effect with flickervision 2600 games, though. Certainly not as much as I was expecting. Maybe they were flickering over three frames rather than two.

Another mod I tried was a reset switch. Unfortunately, it only resets the 6502, and not the CC2. Since the reset line isn't brought out to the cart port, I'm sure it has its own reset circuit. I'll just have to tuck the switch back inside the case tomorrow and forget about it.

Did Saundby ever fix the incorrect resistor value in the audio circuit? I forget which one it is at the moment. I emailed him about it around a year ago and he said he'd look into it but the last time I checked he hadn't fixed it. Actually, check the resistor values on Lee's site, he has the correct values.

Mitch

If you don't want to wait, there's already a how-to in 7800 FAQ

That assumes that we're all technically inclined. :P I couldn't even get the POKEY chip off my Ballblazer cart without wrecking everything.

It's easier if you pull one from a spare 800XL. That wasn't even screwed together when I found it. :-)

As for the audio resistors, I don't know, but it worked fine for me. 18K and 6.8k. I didn't feel any need to change volume when I started up Ballblazer.

As for the audio resistors, I don't know, but it worked fine for me.  18K and 6.8k.  I didn't feel any need to change volume when I started up Ballblazer.

I'm not at home right now so I can't double check but I think those are the correct values.

Mitch

• 1 month later...

It works just fine. It makes a beautiful picture on both my big Sony TV and on a Commodore monitor. (I got an S-video male to dual RCA male cable for five bucks at Fry's.) The only problem I have is with a portable multi-game clamp display from Mad Catz (I think), where the colors are easily overmodulated on it (the main CC2 screen shows as all rainbow colored), but I've hooked it up to other game systems and it shows the same problem. Maybe there's a trimpot inside the display that I can adjust, or maybe I can make some kind of attenuator cable.

I did make one mistake, which was that I forgot to trim down the ribbon cable on the "left" side (the right side goes to a farther row of resistors) by a half an inch before soldering to the resistors. But it was already in and working, and I didn't want to mess with it any more.

And just to clarify things here, I am ***NOT*** making more of these things! This is just the regular S-video mod you can find with a Google search! It was someone else who hinted at making an easily installed mod! I just took the time to make mine look nice and fit on a tiny board that I happened to have lying around.