IGNORED

S-video for the 7800?

johnnywc

My brother, Jeff Kurtz, which does a ton of Neo-Geo mods, has co-developed an RGB to Componet/S-Video/Composite board.

There's some basic information at www.neobitz.com (look in the header for link).

The picture quality coming out of this thing is nothing short of fantastic! The way they've designed it, it can be wired to quite a few different devices other than the NEO -- pretty much anything with RGB signals (Jaguar for example).

Personally, I don't know the techincal details of whether a 2600 / 7800 / 5200 has these signals, but if they do, then this should work.

You can send him some emails if you need more details.

Jerry

The picture quality coming out of this thing is nothing short of fantastic!  The way they've designed it, it can be wired to quite a few different devices other than the NEO -- pretty much anything with RGB signals (Jaguar for example).

Personally, I don't know the techincal details of whether a 2600 / 7800 / 5200 has these signals, but if they do, then this should work.

That's nice, but the 2600 and 7800 don't use RGB. They use chroma/luma, which is more commonly known as S-video. And to make things really annoying, they mix 'em together by tying together everything after the luma D/A resistor ladder, so you have to add your own resistor ladder and luma amp.

The Colecovision uses composite (Y, R-Y, B-Y) internally, and has a tap point where the R-Y and B-Y have been mixed to chroma. All of these signals need to be amplified.

Dangit!  I need an S-video for my 7800 now!  Any idea when this new custom 7800 video interface will be availaible?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Double Dangit!!! :D

I have my 7800 set up with the CC2, but the video is terrible... I have my 2600 with the Cybertech S-Video set up but I have to swap carts....

Tempest - any news on that prototype that was installed in your 7800? Any details? This RF is killing me!!!!

HELP!!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am posting the final layout of the Atari 7800 mod board by 8bitdomain.com

Boards are in pre-production, first 3 will be available on Jan 10 additional 50 boards will follow on Jan 31. This is the Final artwork (pcb layout) as you can see it is very small 2.3" X 1.2" and uses all SMT parts. I will post install photos and install docs when available. Estimated price is approx. $35.

post-4311-1104216193_thumb.jpg

So this will be a simple to install mod, right? (I hope)

I'm guessing you will need to socket your TIA and MARIA chips if they are soldered in (not for the soldering novice). Unfortunately about 75% of the 7800s have them soldered in.

Though, I don't see any place for pass-through sockets on that PCB. Maybe it will use the "solder to the resistors" method. I guess we'll just have to wait and find out. :)

Mitch

Actually no, you don't need the Maria & TIA to be socketed. All that is needed is to remove U3 (14pin dip) and replace with a socket, after that

you solder 4 wires to individual resistors on the 7800 pcb. All other cables

and connectors come pre-soldered and ready to install. I tried to keep the

soldering to an absolute mininum, but because of the way that the Maria &

TIA are interconnected this was the easiest way I found to do it.

Actually no, you don't need the Maria & TIA to be socketed. All that is needed is to remove U3 (14pin dip) and replace with a socket, after that

you solder 4 wires to individual resistors on the 7800 pcb.  All other cables

and connectors come pre-soldered and ready to install.  I tried to keep the

soldering to an absolute mininum, but because of the way that the Maria &

TIA are interconnected this was the easiest way I found to do it.

Desoldering a 14 pin dip isn't that bad. I can do simple soldering, but for some reason I can't read schematics or do complex stuff like breadboard prototyping. I just leave all of that to the experts.

I am sure most people that want to install this mod is comfortable doing a little bit of soldering, as long as there are clear readable instructions. :)

What does the BIOS mod get you?  I've never heard of that mod on a 7800.  I've seen something like that in action on a Colecovision to circumvent the long log screen time.  What does te 7800 one do?

Turns the 7800 into a cartridge dumper.

Mitch