IGNORED

S-video for the 7800?

johnnywc

I have my 7800 moded with the mod on the 7800 FAQ... and while the picuture quality is fantastic it does have a few issues that need to be fixed. But being that it is a DIY free project there is no support.

With that said... for $36 ( a bargain ) I think it fair to mention if this has any flaws in the picture worth mentioning... I am very interested but would like to see my $ give me the improvements I seek...

Where does one buy the cable to combine the chroma/luma signals to s-video? I've looked around a bit and haven't had much luck.

There is a shop near me that has S-Video to RCA cables pre-made or vice versa.

I believe thay are $9.95 ea. If there is enough interest, I could make a run down there and buy a few. They aren't anything fancy like Monster Cables and such... but they work.

I use these extensively to run S-Video enabled consoles on my Commodore monitors.

Regards,

-Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the install, the picture quality looks nice! :)

Someone else will have to compare it to the other 7800 A/V mod since I never got around to doing it.

The install wasn't too difficult, I haven't mounted it in the case yet so I can't comment on that part. I did run into two minor issues with the install; first, the Maria chip in my 7800 was socketed so the A/V board didn't go in all the way. Second, the tall red variable inductor that handles the audio frequency was slightly in the way of the A/V board. I had to partially unsolder it and bend it over to the side a bit.

Now that it's installed, I only have one problem, audio. There are two problems with it, one problem is that I occasionally get corrupt TIA audio. It's pretty random and I'm going to double check the solder connection to verify that it's OK. Allan, if you get yours done can you check to see if you have the same problem? The other problem is with the Pokey audio, it's not balanced correctly. Incidentally, the Atari engineer who did the PAL 7800 made the same mistake. I may see if I can figure out a quick fix but it's not a huge problem.

Over all, I'm pleased with the mod, now I should probably redo the screenshots section on my web site. :D

Mitch