IGNORED

Hack'em! / Hangly Man combined :)

Nukey Shay

Nope...that didn't work either :(

How about this? What I did here was check for illegal movements (either X or Y should be in the middle of a corridor...if neither are, the program bumps up both). It does so "unintelligently"...so there is still the possibility of a monster going through a wall. But it will eventually correct itself, I hope...finding it's way back into a corridor. So if you see a monster suddenly jump to a spot, it happened.

hack_em_hanglyman.zip

So if you see a monster suddenly jump to a spot, it happened.

I saw what I think you're describing a couple of times. It wasn't exactly a "jump", however. More of a "stutter". It looked as if the ghost was going to get of track and then the program immediately corrected the problem and placed the ghost to where it should have been. Weird but it works.

Saved another 30 cycles here...chances of screen flicker should be a bit lower

It did. Down to only seeing them once or twice a game a game now. They're generally minor too.

Haven't noticed any problems with them actually jumping -across- walls :)  Anyone have?

I haven't seen any occurrences of the ghosts moving through walls. I caught sight of a couple of the "stutters" but they now seem to be happening when the ghosts are exiting the center box. I don't know if I'd even notice that it was happening if I didn't know to be looking for it. I haven't seen them do it in any other portion of the maze. I'd call this problem fixed.

- - - - -

On a side note, I FINALLY broke 100,000 on the game! 'Bout friggin time too, considering how much I've been playing it.

4th key maze and 114,300 points. Wahoo! 8)

Corrected a bug that kept the Galaxian+higher mazes from flashing (it would just stay light).

OK, here's something new. I was on the 4th or 5th key level, the one where the energizers don't make the ghosts change but only make them reverse direction. When I ate the energizer, the maze suddenly switched to the green "+" color. It stayed green until the end of the round, flashed white and blue, and then started the next level blue. When I ate an energizer again, the same thing happened. I died this round, so I can't say for sure that the effect continued past this point. I also haven't gotten this far into the game before so I can't say if this is new to this build or if the bug fix is somehow related.

I expanded the number of levels to 20**...and added a seperate bluetime table for the green maze (so that it matches closer to the arcade time). I dunno for sure, but I think that the fruit bluetime is slightly different than energizer bluetime in arcade Pac Plus. Anyone confirm this? In either case, this current program doesn't allow it.

**The 20th level is the 8th key. Not really necessary to go up to the 9th key, because monster attributes don't change in this hack anyway...just bluetimes.

hack_em_hanglyman.zip

Trimmed out another 100 cycles...

The game used to adjust all 4 monster colors (to be blue or flashing) on every frame. Rather than do that, I cut it out of the main loop and just did one monster per frame. This won't affect gameplay at all (when energizers are hit, they will still all turn blue...and when it runs out, they will still all change back). You shouldn't even notice a difference unless you pause the game just when they are flashing white.

hack_em_hanglyman.zip

Dropped the collision detection down to 25% again :P

I also made some changes to the boot screen...does this fix the startup roll? At the point of jumping out of that screen, it was outputting 275 scanlines. By changing the jump destination, it now looks to be steady (261 on the boot screen, 262 for everything else).

hack_em_hanglyman.zip

I dunno anything about what PAL "forgives"...but the game itself appears to be running at a constant 262 scanlines...just the boot screen is at 261. If this causes a problem, I could reduce the boot screen to a lower number. If rolls are still present during the game, I suppose I could reduce the lower characters to 5 scanlines instead of 7 (the extra men + the board fruit indicator). The score font is as small as I'd care to make it already :P

Hey Nukey:

The 'Fruit' Blue time in Pac Man Plus is different than the power pellet times.After you get to the board that is the equivalent of the 4th key (the first level where they don't turn blue at all, which in Plus is the third pancake), the fruit still makes them turn blue. It's a number of boards later where nothing (fruit or energizers) make them turn blue. I have included an input file (for use with MAME .56) where I get pretty far on it. This (hopefully) should show you when you need to see)

Hope this helps! :)

pmp.zip

I thought it was. In any case, this program won't allow it (unless I added a seperate routine for the fruits only - and that would take more romspace than I have).

Tried something different here...I lowered the number of lines required by the fruits to be 6 instead of 7...this change allowed me to bump up the delay counter for the 2nd bank twice. Bumps should be virtually unseen, I hope. Number of scanlines shows a steady 262 including the boot screen.

hack_em_hanglyman.zip

post-222-1092618346_thumb.jpg

I found out that there was a real possibility of the game bankswitching in the middle of the program...or being stuck in 1 routine for 256 loops (that might explain why some frames used an inordinate amount of cycle time when others didn't). The rom posted above might crash out when monsters are having trouble "deciding" which way to move next. I corrected that problem here (I think):

and    #$03         ;2 use the accumulator...

tay                 ;2 ...to set a "random" value for Y

MoveAngle:

sty    PrintTemp+11 ;3 ...and store it temporarily

;Note: possible bankswitch if Y > $D4!

lda    Bit_chk_5,y  ;4 note: Y must be 0-5 only

clc                 ;2 

adc    MonsterDirs  ;3 add a bit of "randomness"

and    #$03         ;2 keep only the lowest bits

jsr    CheckDirA    ;6 check if valid move

bcs    NewDir       ;2 branch (keep the move)

ldy    PrintTemp+11 ;3 otherwise, try again

iny                 ;2 Y always 0-5?

;old branch:
;       bne    MoveAngle    ;2 possible to loop 255 times!
;bugfixed branch:

cpy    #$05         ;2 

bcc    MoveAngle    ;2 branch if 5 or less only

The table Bit_chk_5 is only 6 bytes long...and was located in the last page of rom. So if the Y counter got too high, it would attempt to read past $FFF7 (which the 2600 would interpret as a bankswitch instruction)...placing it in the middle of bank 1. In the bugfix, I just made sure that Y was never allowed to go higher than 5 in the loop.

I sure hope that this was the cause of those rolls! :)

hack_em_hanglyman.zip

Nothing I can do about the halos (because I needed 2 cycles to implement indirect jumping - essential to be able to fit in 3 mazes)...but I trimmed out a bunch of cycles from the score display...and swapped a bit of extra time in bank1 to bank2. Any rolls here?

hack_em_hanglyman.zip

Any rolls here?

Jeez, Nukey, you are hard to keep up with! :roll:

Give me a couple of minutes to eat my dinner and I'll give it a spin. I just finished testing the 8/16 version. The rolls are very minor on that one.

9th key and 124,420 pts, BTW. 8)