IGNORED

Atari Flashback Unit

Trip_Cannon

Heh. I've been waiting for a new console from Atari for a long time. Even though it isn't exactly what I expected, I'm going to buy it anyway. Besides -- it's an interesting item. And unlike the other X-in-one game systems, this one is officially by Atari, so that's a plus IMO.

You don't suppose there will be lines outside of stores everywhere on the release day for this, do you? :D

Certainly an interesting product...

It's a shame that the controllers are not backward compatible, as a source for new 7800 controllers would be great.

As for a cartridge slot, while it would be nice for us Atari enthusiasts, really, how many seven year olds are going to go pawn-shop hopping to get some crappy used game that smells like a mildew-filled basement? It doesn't make sense.

Imagine the start-up costs to start pumping out "new" re-issued cartridges for this unit. Even with 20 game multi-carts, who would pay more than 10 or 15 bucks for one? Make the carts any bigger and how many could be sold to each unit owner? Two... three? Doesn't leave much room to turn a profit. And I don't suspect a huge shelf life for a retro-gaming machine. As is, it'll be in "blowout sale" status by next spring.

Even with a cart slot and full expandability, I would give that type of product til next Christmas max... as somebody pointed out, a PS1 is fifty bucks, and an Atari classic game pack can be found dirt cheap.

Still, looking forward to this - I may have to pick one up for the hell of it!

Best

Joey

And I don't suspect a huge shelf life for a retro-gaming machine.  As is, it'll be in "blowout sale" status by next spring.

Bingo! As far as we know, its a self contained unit with no expandability. People like to control what games they buy instead of being force fed the 20 games they must play. Thats why we went from stand along pong units to the VCS in the first place. Its a nice idea, but it will most likely be bargain-bin fare by next year.

Huge pricing error. For $44.95, there should be way more than 20 games on there. Either that or the unit should be sold at a price comparable to the other Plug N Play TV games that are out there now. It's far too expensive at that price, and I can only see it being a massive flop, unfortunately.

Huge pricing error.  For $44.95, there should be way more than 20 games on there.  Either that or the unit should be sold at a price comparable to the other Plug N Play TV games that are out there now.  It's far too expensive at that price, and I can only see it being a massive flop, unfortunately.

okay, but who is it being sod to? not us collectors!, and not the kids who are playing EverCrack!

That system is getting sold to the nestalgic 30 somethings! dudes, who've "mad it big in life" but want to remeber their youth!

If I was a 30 something, who only had an XBOX, but I grew up on Atari, and then saw this ad, I might consider getting one!

I'll buy one if for no other reason than to set it on the shelf next to my other Atari consoles. I think it's neat that there's going to be a new Atari branded console on the market despite the fact that it's not everything I would have hoped for.

It's a shame that the controllers are not backward compatible, as a source for new 7800 controllers would be great.

They won't plug right in, but I'll betcha they could be hacked to a genny extension cable without a huge amount of effort. I'll be very likely be buying two, one to add to the collection and the other to take apart and experiment.

8)

-S

And I don't suspect a huge shelf life for a retro-gaming machine.  As is, it'll be in "blowout sale" status by next spring.

Bingo! As far as we know, its a self contained unit with no expandability. People like to control what games they buy instead of being force fed the 20 games they must play. Thats why we went from stand along pong units to the VCS in the first place. Its a nice idea, but it will most likely be bargain-bin fare by next year.

Oh, c'mon. This is a Christmas last-run-through-the-checkout-line impulse gift, and is not being marketed as any type of lasting testament to retro gaming. $40-$50 may seem pricey, but that's far cheaper than the cost of most console games today. I'm going to treat it as a unique 2600/7800 multicart (which would be almost as costly) and have some fun with it later this year. I'm sure I'd end up spending twice as much if I had to buy "Planet Smashers", "Saboteur", and some of the other games that I don't already have separately.

Besides, how often can you ask friends and loved ones to buy your holiday gift (e.g. an Atari console) at the local store?

This will probably sell in the millions, and might even exceed total sales for the original 7800 sales run. Nothing wrong with that. :)

I might have one for Saboteur. Although I've already got the cartridge (for doing the artwork etc..), it doesn't look too hot on a PAL 2600. What I'd be getting here is a fully composite modded piece of hardware with the game in it. Yeah, I'll go for that!:)

What I'd be getting here is a fully composite modded piece of hardware with the game in it.

I haven't seen my 7800's in a while (9000Kms away in Paris) but, from what I remember, my PAL 7800 used a SCART output (no RF) - would that count as a composite output ?

I remember for sure that my 7800 NTSC required an extra NTSC tuner as it only used a RF output (Most European TV's have NTSC video but no NTSC tuner).

If the Flashback indeed does come with an updated 2600/7800 chipset, let's hack it !

AB.

I wonder if the pause function will work in the 2600 games. :ponder:

Anyway, isn't it funny how history repeats itself? Almost 30 years ago these single system Pong and Pinball units were the thing. Paddle and buttons built right into the system itself. And now what's happening? I keep seeing more and more of these things pop up. I don't see it slowing down anytime either... Nevertheless it's pretty cool that the 7800 is finally getting some sort of recognition.

Saw this article on Fark today, seemed applicable to this discussion-- A digital generation's analog chic

Here's the relevant portion:

For some, retro joy comes in bulkier, less technologically advanced packages. At eBay last year, John Henry Flood, a 21-year-old Harvard sophomore, bought the 1985 Nintendo Entertainment System along with the Atari 2600, a console that makes the Nintendo system appear positively cutting edge. Covered in wood-grain paneling and plastic molding, the first Atari 2600 made its debut in 1977 and was the first widely popular gaming system, used to play video games like "Space Invaders" and "Asteroids."  

Another reminder of its age is a switch that gives gamers the option to optimize color resolution for black-and-white televisions.  

But the vintage nature of the machines means that games are cheap and easily grasped by a wide audience. Flood bought the first-generation consoles mainly so he could play video games with his college friends, who he said were more inclined to play low-tech games like Super Mario Brothers than to invest the time needed to play today's more complex games.  

Then there is the "wow" factor.  

"Everyone's like, oh my gosh, where'd you get these?" Flood said. While he also owns a Microsoft Xbox and a Sony PlayStation 2, the retro consoles see far more playing time in his dorm room, he said.

Oh boy, I wonder now that they are bringing both the 2600/7800 are they going to make a 800/5200 unit?

One can dream! What an awesome site that would be, especially if the controllers were done right. Now that would sell millions!! I suspect everything depends on how well this first console does. I suppose I'll have to pick one up if only to encourage future projects like this.

An improved version of the Intellivision 25-in-1, perhaps?

Amen to that. I was so excited to get that thing only to find out that it totally blows. They should have been embarassed to package it and sell it for real money.

Now, an Atari 8-bit X-in-one would be pure heaven! But I'm thinking more of a 50-in-one rather than 20. ;)

me wonders what the power supply looks like, you dont think they went with...nah couldnt be the blue tip again.

maybe it just operates off batteries and uses A/V cables :?

Uses a 9VDC 350ma power supply with a standard (not the custom blue Atari connector) connector

Composite A/V output.

CUrt

me wonders what the power supply looks like, you dont think they went with...nah couldnt be the blue tip again.

maybe it just operates off batteries and uses A/V cables :?

Uses a 9VDC 350ma power supply with a standard (not the custom blue Atari connector) connector

Composite A/V output.

CUrt

Cool! Thats mean now we can replace that plug with any other in Radio Shack :D