IGNORED

Philly 6

Osmeroid

Definitely.  Fall's a bad time for a con.  Especially October.  People have other things to do that time of the year.  Outdoor things.  A gaming con isn't on their monds at that point, though saving their money for Christmas might be. :ponder:

I'm indifferent as to whether a con should be held in the spring, fall, or summer. I think October is as late as a con should be held, though, as after that people definitely start to get busy with the holidays coming up. I have gotten used to PhillyClassic being in the spring. I tend to think of spring (and especially summer) as the the time to enjoy outdoor activities, but that doesn't seem to affect attendance of shows held during that time.

..Al

At that time of the year around me, there are tons of fall festivals and Halloween related activities. Shortly after that, the outdoor activities end and don't resume until late April. Hanging out at an indoor event isn't such a big deal in the spring or summer as there are still many days and weeks to enjoy the outdoors. Hanging out at an indoor event in October is a whole different beast. I like to enjoy the last few decent weeks left and do some of the seasonal things. Not blow an entire weekend on an indoor convention.

At that time of the year around me, there are tons of fall festivals and Halloween related activities.  Shortly after that, the outdoor activities end and don't resume until late April.  Hanging out at an indoor event isn't such a big deal in the spring or summer as there are still many days and weeks to enjoy the outdoors.  Hanging out at an indoor event in October is a whole different beast.  I like to enjoy the last few decent weeks left and do some of the seasonal things.  Not blow an entire weekend on an indoor convention.

I guess it depends where you live--it's been in the 70s here in Austin the past week, so you can still go outside and do things. It's probably more comfortable outside right now that it usually is in the middle of the summer. ;) I don't typically go to festivals in October, so it's not a big deal for me to go to a show taking place that month, as long as it's not the same weekend as Halloween.

EDIT: Also having three big game conventions within a few weeks of each other is a huge mistake.  That forces most people to choose and it leaves nothing at all for remaining 8 months of the year. :roll:

I assume you are taking about PhillyClassic and CGE--what is the third show? Has another been announced for that timeframe already? And if PC6 is in October, that still puts two months between PC6 and CGE, which isn't bad, and the shows are on opposite sides of the country, so I don't think either show will be adversely affected by their proximity in dates.

Indeed, and that WILL have a negative effect on attendance for ALL of them.

While this may be true for some people, most of the shows are fairly regional and most of the attendees are local. People are usually going to go to the show that is closest to them, whether that is CGE, PhillyClassic, Midwest Classic, etc. And I don't think most people attend more than one show--those who do may have to make a choice as to which show to attend, yes. I attended three shows in 2004 (PC5, MGC, and OKGE), but I was also exhibiting at those shows. I know that nearly everyone who attended AGE in 2003 (2,300 people) came from within Texas, and I am willing to bet the same was true of PhillyClassic 5's 2,600 attendance.

..Al

I know that nearly everyone who attended AGE in 2003 (2,300 people) came from within Texas, and I am willing to bet the same was true of PhillyClassic 5's 2,600 attendance.

You are definitley right - there was a high attendance from TX at PC 5. :P Can't forget Mr. & Mrs. MMF, Tempest, and of course Osmeroid. He's the closest of all. :D

I think for us anyway if we are going to make 'one big trip' having a few events within a few months definitely cuts into the budget a lot though. I liked having PC in the spring as well, for those of us that actually have a winter (not like some buttheads here :wink: ) it gives something to look foreward too after we hopefully finish shoveling out. And if by chance it snows that weekend, someone that's not used to getting any snow is quite welcome to try their hand at shoveling our driveway. It's an open invitation! Just feeling generous and would love for those that normally don't or haven't in a long time *coughalbertcough* to have the pleasure of digging out a foot of nice wet snow. :wink: I Wouldn't want to be to blame for anyone missing out on such a rare opportunity.

October and Fall time makes me think of leaves changing color, hayrides, pumpkins, apple orchards, the smell of cinnamon and pies baking *drool* and like Sku_u said - spending that last bit of time outdoors while we still can. Although their winter is much worse then ours even, it did get to single digit temps on quite a few days so far. *shiver* We also start saving up for Christmas quite early as well.

( Just my overpriced cents whether they're welcome or not :P )

While this may be true for some people, most of the shows are fairly regional and most of the attendees are local.  People are usually going to go to the show that is closest to them, whether that is CGE, PhillyClassic, Midwest Classic, etc.  And I don't think most people attend more than one show--those who do may have to make a choice as to which show to attend, yes.  I attended three shows in 2004 (PC5, MGC, and OKGE), but I was also exhibiting at those shows.  I know that nearly everyone who attended AGE in 2003 (2,300 people) came from within Texas, and I am willing to bet the same was true of PhillyClassic 5's 2,600 attendance.  

..Al

The regional thing is exactly why PC in October is a bad idea. As Chickybaby mentioned, many people in this region are thinking about hayrides, apple picking, carving pumpkins and end of season garden work at that time of the year. PC probably attracts people from West Virginia up to Vermont and Massachusetts and across the Ohio Valley for the most part. With the exception of West Virginia, most of those areas start seeing their first snowfalls in November and their last in late March, early April and are trying to take advantage of the remaining few long days left in the year. With the exception of the few who can go and come back in the same day, its a major inconvenience at that time of the year, while having it in March gave all us who have to live with snow and cold six months of the year something to look forward to.

The first classic gaming convention I attended was in October and in the midwest. Cinciclassic 2002 had a good turnout given its location size with the attendence estimated at well over 500.

We have to remember that the majority of the people who attend these conventions are not like the die hard fanatics like us. I attended AGE but I knew it wasn't going to be something I was going to do every year. (Of course that was assuming it was going to occur every year. ;) ) There is only a handfull of us who make a big trip out of these cons. I considered it one of the two vacations a take a year. But I'm in the minority, even on this message board.

If you are not within a relatively short driving distance of a convention, most likely you won't atttend. Philly is an eight hour drive for me but I've always ridden along with Stan Jr. and Aimee. The trip flys by with those two. I'm not sure if I would have made the drive by myself. Now that I've attended the last two PC's, I know it is worth the drive.

Besides, if you all want to attend a classing gaming event in the spring, the Cinciclassic organizers have announced their target date as spring 2005. I hope the show will happen and I see a lot of you there.

See you at all PC6, whenever it falls. :D

I know that nearly everyone who attended AGE in 2003 (2,300 people) came from within Texas, and I am willing to bet the same was true of PhillyClassic 5's 2,600 attendance.

You are definitley right - there was a high attendance from TX at PC 5. :P Can't forget Mr. & Mrs. MMF, Tempest, and of course Osmeroid. He's the closest of all. :D

I think for us anyway if we are going to make 'one big trip' having a few events within a few months definitely cuts into the budget a lot though. I liked having PC in the spring as well, for those of us that actually have a winter (not like some buttheads here :wink: ) it gives something to look foreward too after we hopefully finish shoveling out. And if by chance it snows that weekend, someone that's not used to getting any snow is quite welcome to try their hand at shoveling our driveway. It's an open invitation! Just feeling generous and would love for those that normally don't or haven't in a long time *coughalbertcough* to have the pleasure of digging out a foot of nice wet snow. :wink: I Wouldn't want to be to blame for anyone missing out on such a rare opportunity.

October and Fall time makes me think of leaves changing color, hayrides, pumpkins, apple orchards, the smell of cinnamon and pies baking *drool* and like Sku_u said - spending that last bit of time outdoors while we still can. Although their winter is much worse then ours even, it did get to single digit temps on quite a few days so far. *shiver* We also start saving up for Christmas quite early as well.

( Just my overpriced cents whether they're welcome or not :P )

Come march I'll be at texas as well. I'll be sure to see you all there!

Now that I've attended the last two PC's, I know it is worth the drive.

Let me speak for in behalf of the AA members who go to the PhillyClassic each year and say that we're all darned glad that the three of y'all make the trek each and every year. It wouldn't be half as fun without ya!

I attended three shows in 2004 (PC5, MGC, and OKGE), but I was also exhibiting at those shows.  I know that nearly everyone who attended AGE in 2003 (2,300 people) came from within Texas, and I am willing to bet the same was true of PhillyClassic 5's 2,600 attendance.

Of the approximately 1250 people that attended MGC 2K4, I doubt that more than 300 came from out of state, and our number is skewed because we are within an hour of Chicago, where probably 250-275 of those "out of state" guests came from.

The portion of people that come to an event that are willing to travel more than two hours to get there I think is pretty small, and other events happening in different parts of the country do nothing but help raise awareness of other events. From my standpoint, it is all a win-win situation.

Unfortunately, I've never been to a PhillyClassic and if it moves to October, I probably never will be (I run a haunted house, and there is Pinball Expo in Chicago at the same time), but I don't think that the move would hurt the event much if at all. It has always been a quality event, and I expect that to continue. My guess is that if the organizers moved it back, there is a really good reason behind it.

My guess is that if the organizers moved it back, there is a really good reason behind it.

There is an excellent reason for it that I stated earlier on in this thread several weeks ago.

We're not trying to screw anyone or reinvent the wheel. We simply can not get into the venue we want in the timeframe we want with the SIZE we NEED. Philly Classic has always at least doubled in size and scope since PC1 and PC6 will be no exception.

There will be some detailed announcements soon, I promise.

-mw

My guess is that if the organizers moved it back, there is a really good reason behind it.

There is an excellent reason for it that I stated earlier on in this thread several weeks ago.

We're not trying to screw anyone or reinvent the wheel. We simply can not get into the venue we want in the timeframe we want with the SIZE we NEED. Philly Classic has always at least doubled in size and scope since PC1 and PC6 will be no exception.

There will be some detailed announcements soon, I promise.

-mw

I really appriciate all that you are doing to bring us another Philly Classic. I know it is a lot of hard work that doesn't always gets recognized. The one thing I do hope though is that Philly Classic always stays 'classic' focused. To me the biggest mistake would be to add a lot of modern video game stuff just to make it bigger. I'd rather see it in a smaller venue and be just about 'classic' video games.

Again a big thanks for all that you and others are doing to bring us another great Philly Classic.

Allan

Thanks Allen, it IS hard to pull these things off, especially when it comes to timing and money.

I can assure you that Philly Classic will always be "Classic" focused, at least as long as I have anything to say about it but I do want to point out that "new" gaming culture of today will also be a part of Philly Classic. One of the things we are very much trying to avoid is the elitist position that some in this hobby tend to take in regards to gaming culture. It is my view and that of the other organizers, that we maintain the context of gaming and gaming history for EVERYONE from the first video-games on through future classics of tomorrow [i.e. "new" games and consoles].

There is absolutely no way classic gaming can survive if it is not opened up to a wider audience and shown in its proper context with due reverence and respect.

I want new comers to this hobby and our convention to realize that for about the same price they paid for that silly all in one "TV" plug and play device that seem to be all the rage, they can also get the original console and a handful of original games and have even more fun with it.

Also, keep in mind that there are indeed "new" classics being added to the list every year. It could be argued that the PS1, N64 and Dreamcast can now be considered "classic", certainly in the same vein as the Saturn, 3DO and Atari Jaguar. So by sheer aging of the market, the show HAS to get bigger even if it ONLY had "classics" just to keep up with the abandoned consoles and the growing interest in the "scene" due to the recent influx of so called "classic" gizmos and game compilations for newer systems.

Soon the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube will be "old"...

We'll be there, waiting but in the meantime, we'll still feature those consoles and the games on them that we feel are the classics of tomorrow.

Philly Classic, whenever it is, will still by my first convention.

I can't wait.

I also look forward to meeting and AtariAge people there that I have

shared these forums with during the past year.

I'll bet there... whenever it is.

David is not leaving, he's moving back into more of an executive producer/advisory position. He is still very much invloved with the direction of the show and he Ed and I will be having a lunch meeting next week to discuss PC6 and hopefully shortly after that we will be able to announce a date.

Interesting, I'm sorry to hear David will be leaving. :sad:

Not completely leaving, as I understand it, but stepping out of the leadership role. The last time that I spoke to him David said that he was looking forward to attending the event as more of a participant and, thus, be able to actually enjoy everything that's going on throughout the space.