IGNORED

Anyone thirsty for some PoP?

salstadt

I had a few thoughts about the sprites so I figured I would through my 2 cents in. It seems the biggest problem is fitting in the needed resolution for each frame of every sprite but when dealing with the constraits of the 2600, compromises have to be made.

Seems most would like to stay away from flicker. Also, many thought have been of adding the missle for 9 pixels wide sprites. And even using double width sprites but this gets rather chunky. Howabout a full compromise. I don't want to step on any toes but was wondering if anyone has thought of using all ideas for the same sprite when applicable.

If 9 pixels are needed then go ahead and use a missle but if even more width is needed for specific parts of a sprite, then why not switch over to double width on-the-fly for theoes scanllines of the sprite and HMOVE to reposition. This way ONLY when more than 9 pixels are needing to be used for any given sprite then and only then should the sprite be double width.

I noticed when the prince jumps. the legs need the most in terms of spance so as that for an example, I did a simple block illustration. Only thing to keep in mind is the single pixel shift when using double or quadrouple width changes.

post-10601-125587414854.png

If 9 pixels are needed then go ahead and use a missle but if even more width is needed for specific parts of a sprite, then why not switch over to double width on-the-fly for theoes scanllines of the sprite and HMOVE to reposition. This way ONLY when more than 9 pixels are needing to be used for any given sprite then and only then should the sprite be double width.

Theoretically this is possible.

But it requires ~7 additional CPU cycles. Nothing is for free. :)

We need the missile for the sword graphics anyway... So it's not waste of rom use them for the sprites.

Personally I don't care about double wide resolution, Chris and Thomas pointed that don't looks good so I'll not use 2x wide spites. :)

The problem is, the game uses 2 scanline resolution, pushing the sprites to 2x wide resolution, the pixels looks too much blocky.

What is possible to do, use a missile with fixed size - one nibble set the position, other nibble set player size.

Combine the missile with player...

But doesn't looks so good as using missile with size and position changes.

Edited by LS_Dracon

• 2 weeks later...

Had a question. How did you differentiate between the walls, floors, and the pillars when moving the character past them? Are you using some sort of mask to know what playfield object are diffrent from each other? Or perhaps some form of sub collision detection (checking the collision registers multiple times per frame)?

Had a question. How did you differentiate between the walls, floors, and the pillars when moving the character past them? Are you using some sort of mask to know what playfield object are diffrent from each other? Or perhaps some form of sub collision detection (checking the collision registers multiple times per frame)?

The collision detection registers are not used. There is a mask for each playfield position, which has the following values:

00 = Ignore (for spaces and pillars)
11 = Wall
10 = Door (need to check if open or closed)
01 = Final Door (for finishing the level)

Chris

• 1 month later...

I'm converting the guardian sprites to the 2600, including the missile information.

This rom is a sprite viewer, show some sprites and animations of the guardian, already using 12 fps (PoP timer)

Move up or down to change the sprite or animation and press controller button to restart the animation.

I need to finish others animations such attack and dead.

SpriteViewer.bin

I'm converting the guardian sprites to the 2600, including the missile information.

This rom is a sprite viewer, show some sprites and animations of the guardian, already using 12 fps (PoP timer)

Move up or down to change the sprite or animation and press controller button to restart the animation.

I need to finish others animations such attack and dead.

Hey, nice cloth physics! ;) :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Yes, I suppose 2D will look better (and RAM would be a problem anyway with 3D). Walking between the pillars isn't possible.

I have two more options for "2.5D", I could only display the horizontal or the vertical parts of the 3D effect.

This is one of those two options:

It could be done now using DPC+ to mask out what's hidden by the pillar. As an example, I mask Frosty's on/off screen movement in DPC+ demo #4

• 1 month later...

Ouch... Times flies!

My last demo is almost 1 year ago!

I have good news. ALL the enemy sprites is done, Guardian, Exqueleton and Jaffar. I did The prince fight sprites too.

I need to convert them to the binary, just finished now the prince sprites. You will notice some cosmetics changes (more colors such shadows and blond hair).

This demo display the attack animation, didn't like it at all, it's a brute sprite, I'll work again on it. They looks different on "real hardware" and I need to care about it.

The conversion to binary is very boring because the missile information, I need to write by hand line by line, each byte uses left nibble to the pixel shift and right nibble to enable and changes missile size. Each missile table uses 18 (prince) and 26 (enemy) bytes, and must to be coded in upside-down view, 2 times (one for each player facing). There are hundreds of missile table to be writen.

Obviously this project worth all of it. :)

svprince.bin

Edited by LS_Dracon

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've created a animation code for my personal projects but it's flexible enough to create animations PoP like.

Here's a new demo, now you can play as the Guardian.

The keys (left joystick) :

Left : Walk (1 step by time)

Up : Block (prince attacks)

Right : Your attack is blocked by the Prince

Down : Get Hit

Fire button : Attack.

Reset : Reset position.

If you walk too much to the left, the missile gfx have some problems, it's a timming problem I don't want to fix.

It's not the final looking, there are things to be fixed, sprites, positions changes etc... It just to test my animation code.

Looks better on real hardware, try it on your harmony cart :)

GuardianAnimTest.bin

• Like 1