IGNORED

Anyone thirsty for some PoP?

salstadt

Slow but going. :)

BTW let me refresh the topic with the project tech demos (nothing new, just for newcomers know what we're talking).

Here's the level demo, programmed by Chris Walton (old engine, supercharger) :

popspikes.bin

Here's the latest prince animation demo (small changes, I don't remember), by me :

princeanim.bin

Chris is working on a new "game engine", updated for Harmony Cart.

I'm still working on sprites, fixing some frames, making them more accurate.

Sorry to not have better news.

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Sorry, no.

I think this project entered again in "development hell".

What bug me is all effort I put in the graphics and, at the end, all we have is the worst looking version of the game.

I know that well, courtesy of Death Derby, or one of my animation projects I've all but abandoned.

It's hard to let go of something you wanted to see happen but for whatever reason couldn't or wouldn't finish it.

Edited by mos6507

Sorry, no.

I think this project entered again in "development hell".

What bug me is all effort I put in the graphics and, at the end, all we have is the worst looking version of the game.

Hi LS_Dracon,

I am sorry to know that this project is in a stalemate, you have made an amazing job and yours sprites and animations are impressive. I really love them.

I would like to show you some suggestions for background graphics (I made a few mockups some time ago) in the case it can be a help for your inspiration.

Regardless, thanks again for having shared your efforts.

Sincerely

Marco

Du6QmN.png

fOPdyv.png

Jgy9Ic.png

40eJBs.png

ColEn3.png

4E0Z5H.png

aDApDN.png

hkWt3a.png

• Like 3

Thanks Marco.

I like your edits.

Actually I not did the old background art, this already was done when I joined to the project.

Only the yellow temple, but that was a quick mock up.

I would like to know if you have an idea for the princess room?

I'm really happy that you like. Thank you. :)

About the princess room, I'm assuming that you are referring to the introduction screen:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/prince-of-persia/screenshots/gameShotId,32362/

it seems difficult to get a good compromise but I will do a few attempts.

I take this occasion to thank everyone involved in this project.

Nice stuff! Using slightly(!) different graphics for PF0, PF1 and PF2 might make the bricks look a bit more realistic.

Nitpicking detail question: Why are the bricks highlighted? In the original they area darkened.

No nitpicking detail question :) because I have not updated the palette.

Here with colors faithful to the original version:

MXMFrh.png

vkTSnH.png

• Like 2

Better. But probably using gray instead of blue would look even better.

...or even better to have the option to select the color blue / gray through the difficulty switches.

I had proposed this option for 7800:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/219298-prince-of-persia-for-the-7800/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2883242

I did some animation using the real sprites of Prince of Persia with lowered resolution https://youtu.be/EbDcfHpdl6I

It's done with the playfield. If I ever do a game with this I would name it "The Mirror and the Shadow" or "The Sands in the Mirror" or something like that, to justify the use of mirrored background to save memory and work less ;)

If the video is confusing I tell you that it's the guy running to the next screen where he encounters a guard that turns to him to draw the sword but I didn't do that part,

Edited by gfvh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I know this project is in a holding position, but would someone be able to comment on how things were left?

It might be helpful to have that posted at the end of the thread.

I see a lot of mock-ups and tech demos, but I'm not quite sure how it all fits together.

Is this thread about a bunch of "what could be" screenshots, or was some of that implemented into a binary, and then abandoned for technical reasons?

Sorry to request a summary, but I'm a little bit confused on the thread.

-John

These tech demos are to display a specific part of the game, now we know it could work, I need to code the game itself, based on these experiments.

As the sole programmer of the project now, I'm trying to find the best bankswitch type for it.

After failed with F4SC (32 kb + 256 bytes of extra RAM) now I'm thinking to create a new ROM type based on Commavid's Video Life (1kb of extra RAM + 2 kb of ROM) but with possibility to bankswitch the 2kb of ROM.

1kb of RAM is overkill but if this makes the programming easier (and certainly will do), I don't care. I need about 400 bytes of extra RAM for the game, that's what I'm aiming.

I've lost too much time coding the F4SC structure, and the data compression, which worked (it saved 800 bytes, almost 1kb of the prince graphics data) but makes everything too much difficult to code.

• Like 1