IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 8: Jr. Pac-Man

Ze_ro

Well, a minor improvement. I really hate this game. its just too hard. I am amazed at those of you who make it past 30K and the fourth maze. I usually fail to make it past the first maze.

Ah well, I'll be at the bottom of the barrel if you need me.

post-409-1110526693_thumb.jpg

That first board is the hardest of the first three, IMO.

Hmm, interesting thought, you're probably right.

ALMOST got to the fourth (*#ing maze...damn!

Stan, love the pics, they remind me of a photographer U2 had, where he'd smack his camera as he took pictures of them live, and he got a similar, cool blurred effect ;)

post-3650-1110528927.jpg

Stan, love the pics, they remind me of a photographer U2 had, where he'd smack his camera as he took pictures of them live, and he got a similar, cool blurred effect ;)

:D :D :D

Thanks, for some reason the stupid shutter stays open WAY longer than it should when I take the pics and it captures several images of the ghosts. They do look pretty cool.

I only wish my score looked that cool. :|

:)

Finally, something of a breakthrough. Its about time. Sheesh. 36,700

my previous personal best was 31K, so things are looking up, perhaps!

Still no clue on a pattern for this bugger. I have adopted a new strategy though, I call it, run like hell. Screw eating ghosts, dots, tricycles, or anything else, just run from the ghosts as long as you can. If you pick up some dots, fine. Accidentally hit a kite on your mad dash, ok, but first and foremost, just stay alive. Of course, I have met with about the same amount of success as I have with all my other strategies, so take this as you may... :ponder: :D

post-409-1110563306_thumb.jpg

Still no clue on a pattern for this bugger.  I have adopted a new strategy though, I call it, run like hell.  Screw eating ghosts, dots, tricycles, or anything else, just run from the ghosts as long as you can.  If you pick up some dots, fine.  Accidentally hit a kite on your mad dash, ok, but first and foremost, just stay alive.  Of course, I have met with about the same amount of success as I have with all my other strategies, so take this as you may... :ponder:  :D

Heh. That's pretty much been my strategy so far! I'm getting increasing annoyed with the little brown ghost - he seems to be the one who lies in wait for you while the other three chase you around. I've lost count of the number of times I've run into him while running away from the speedier ghosts. Anyway, after a solid hour of playing this morning I managed to finally get onto the third level and improve my score to 28790.

I just don't get the same feeling of fun with this one as I do from Ms Pacman. Whether you do well or not seems to be way too much down to luck rather that skillful play. A very frustrating experience, methinks.

post-4591-1110566423_thumb.png

I don't think any game in the HSC has been as hard on my sticks as Jr. Pac-Man has been. I won't be at all surprised if I end up breaking one before the week is over.

The extremely difficult of this game kept me from really playing it before the HSC, but now I am totally into it. The breakneck scramble to stay in front of those ghosts is a rush. They hunt you like a wolf pack. This game is awesome and it's quickly moving up my favorites list... fun!, fun!, fun! :D

I find it's critical to score as many points as possible on the first board. If I can get 15k and the extra life on the first board, I can usually make it to the 4th board and score 30k. I need to get better at eating ghosts on the 2nd and 3rd boards. I don't make much effort to eat the ghosts on those levels. I just try to clear those levels without dying.

I don't think any game in the HSC has been as hard on my sticks as Jr. Pac-Man has been. I won't be at all surprised if I end up breaking one before the week is over.

Same dude... the only stick that I can even remotely use right is my power stick, which is weird because I use my thumb instead of actually gripping it like a stick. It works great, but I still have those random turnarounds that ends up killing you. That sucks, that's the only stick that'll work right with that game... *sighs* I'll be lucky to break my old score again.

Still no clue on a pattern for this bugger.

I'm not sure patterns are a possiblity here, although there has been one situation that occurs to me fairly often on the first maze, but it doesn't help me for very long. Dunno...

Well, I broke 40...that fourth maze is pretty interesting, the corridors run long vertically...and I was a couple of centimeters away from an energizer when the red bastard got me, damn him :x (I would've killed him if he wasn't already dead...you know, being a ghost and all :twisted:)

post-3650-1110613314.jpg

Same dude... the only stick that I can even remotely use right is my power stick' date=' which is weird because I use my thumb instead of actually gripping it like a stick. It works great, but I still have those random turnarounds that ends up killing you. That sucks, that's the only stick that'll work right with that game... *sighs* I'll be lucky to break my old score again.[/quote']

Well... I have NO controllers that want to work right with Jr. Pac-Man, looks like I hafta turn to emulation, either by xbox or pc, i'm not sure yet...

I am working on 3 patterns for the first maze and another couple for the next two mazes, as those are the ones I manage to get to the most. Beyond that, its back to "run like hell."

I broke 30K again several times today, but no high scores to report. :( Maybe tomorrow.... :)

32' date='810[/b']

The extremely difficult of this game kept me from really playing it before the HSC, but now I am totally into it. The breakneck scramble to stay in front of those ghosts is a rush. They hunt you like a wolf pack. This game is awesome and it's quickly moving up my favorites list... fun!, fun!, fun! :D

I find it's critical to score as many points as possible on the first board. If I can get 15k and the extra life on the first board, I can usually make it to the 4th board and score 30k. I need to get better at eating ghosts on the 2nd and 3rd boards. I don't make much effort to eat the ghosts on those levels. I just try to clear those levels without dying.

Dragonfire was worse on the sticks - who was the dumba....oh me :D

I broke 30K again several times today' date=' but no high scores to report. :( [/quote']

Yeah, I played it for a couple of hours last night, making it to the fourth maze once or twice, missing beating my high score by only a thousand freakin' points.

BTW, what dumbass' idea at Atari was it to have the game run so blasted fast anyway? It's not like the arcade version ran fast! :x