IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

Another thing, why was no one diligently trying to contact the reporter?  Hell, give me his/her phone number.  I'll gladly try to call.

-Rob

959401[/snapback]

Oh we've tried, we had a phone number and address of the reproter but no reply. Someone just needs to go there and ask her, all of us calling is probably freaking her out.

...ha, this topic makes me laugh all the time!...I don't care if it's true or not, it's just funny how over the years I even remember this tale of landfill woes for Atari...

....has anybody done a simple poll yet? ...like, two options ONLY so there's no fence sitters..."Do you believe in the Atari Landfill Story?"...not, "YES, but.."...or "NO, but..."...then we can make ample fun of those in the minority, GOOD OL' DEMOCRACY!

...then we can see how many people really still give enough about this topic...although I still think it's neat...true or not!

I doubt Mythbusters would be interested. The Atari 2600 is now largely forgotten by the mainstream; nobody cares.

Also, this story isn't really the style of legend that Mythbusters typically investigates (except perhaps for the segment where they searched for Jimmy Hoffa's body - a similar event but far more universally recognized subject, which a lot of people would still be interested to know about.)

Most recent myths explored seem to follow the form of "could technology available at time and place X, produce astonishing result Y?" type stories. Then they go on to try to replicate Y using: typical technology available at X, "best case scenario" of what could theoretically have been possible at X, then finally "Mythbusters style" they go way overboard and try to do Y using whatever modern means they can hack together in their shop. Examples: ancient Chinese astronaut, 360 degree loop on playground swing, body piercing ornaments as lightning rods, construction worker uses plywood as glider, etc.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

• 2 months later...

Guys...

I'm risking everything by posting on here, but I have some information that I feel I MUST share with all of you. I have contacts in the CIA, FBI, and NSA... and, it's quite possible that I may not live after sharing this information... but I feel that the truth MUST be known.

The truth is... all of those cartridges that were destroyed (The E.T., PacMans, etc) were destroyed because after getting to a certain score... it would reveal the entire schematics and blueprints to the SR-71 Blackbird Stealth plane. This was secretly done by the Communist Coalition (now currently run by Nanci Peloci) in California. It was the ONLY way that they could export the plans to their mother land (Russia). Ronald Reagan became aware of this plot and forced Atari to perform a mass burial.

The Myth Busters have desperately wanted to cover this story now that the SR-71 is a thing of the past. Unfortunately, Senator Ted Kennedy with his mafia contacts, has been able to "prevent" the Myth Buster gang from researching it. They're now destined to bust worthless myths like crushing Fiat-X-1/9 Bertones and testing gas station Cell phone explosions. If you're wondering why half of the links in this thread also are no longer valid... it's also Ted Kennedy's fault.

Uh oh!! They're outside my door! I better submit this before I'm taken out...

There was also a Combat 3 for the Atari 2600 that never got released!!!! IT HOLDS THE SCHEMATICS TO THE SPLITWING AND STEALTH BOMBER....

Oh no! He's got a gun!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys...

I'm risking everything by posting on here, but I have some information that I feel I MUST share with all of you. I have contacts in the CIA, FBI, and NSA... and, it's quite possible that I may not live after sharing this information... but I feel that the truth MUST be known.

The truth is... all of those cartridges that were destroyed (The E.T., PacMans, etc) were destroyed because after getting to a certain score... it would reveal the entire schematics and blueprints to the SR-71 Blackbird Stealth plane. This was secretly done by the Communist Coalition (now currently run by Nanci Peloci) in California. It was the ONLY way that they could export the plans to their mother land (Russia). Ronald Reagan became aware of this plot and forced Atari to perform a mass burial.

The Myth Busters have desperately wanted to cover this story now that the SR-71 is a thing of the past. Unfortunately, Senator Ted Kennedy with his mafia contacts, has been able to "prevent" the Myth Buster gang from researching it. They're now destined to bust worthless myths like crushing Fiat-X-1/9 Bertones and testing gas station Cell phone explosions. If you're wondering why half of the links in this thread also are no longer valid... it's also Ted Kennedy's fault.

Uh oh!! They're outside my door! I better submit this before I'm taken out...

There was also a Combat 3 for the Atari 2600 that never got released!!!! IT HOLDS THE SCHEMATICS TO THE SPLITWING AND STEALTH BOMBER....

Oh no! He's got a gun!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

1009537[/snapback]

Beware of agents of disinformation.

It is no coincidence that New Mexico is well known for a high incidence of UFO sightings. The Atari 2600 (as well as the TI-99 4A, the Atari 8 bits, the Apple II, and the IBM PC 5150 8088) are all based on reverse engineered alien technology originally obtained in the wreckage at Roswell.

They "buried" tons of *E.T.* cartridges in NEW MEXICO... of all places...

The signs are all there....

*raising my eyebrow in an omnious manner*

Beware of agents of disinformation.

It is no coincidence that New Mexico is well known for a high incidence of UFO sightings. The Atari 2600 (as well as the TI-99 4A, the Atari 8 bits, the Apple II, and the IBM PC 5150 8088) are all based on reverse engineered alien technology originally obtained in the wreckage at Roswell.

They "buried" tons of *E.T.* cartridges in NEW MEXICO... of all places...

The signs are all there....

*raising my eyebrow in an omnious manner*

1010596[/snapback]

This has a lot of merit. On www.serpo.org, the contending theory is that the "Roswell" crash actually did not take place in Roswell, but rather in two seperate locations in other New Mexico towns. One of those towns just happens to be Alamogordo. The reason we can't find the missing carts? Totally because of the alien colony coverup (they've got good in the last 50 years at passing for human!).

-JD

This has a lot of merit.  On www.serpo.org, the contending theory is that the "Roswell" crash actually did not take place in Roswell, but rather in two seperate locations in other New Mexico towns.  One of those towns just happens to be Alamogordo.  The reason we can't find the missing carts?  Totally because of the alien colony coverup (they've got good in the last 50 years at passing for human!).

I've been a receptacle for alien communication for years, ever since the time I was hit on the head by a bowling ball and had to have a metal antenna implanted in my brain.

My wife says it's just Paranoia, but I know it's Alpha Centauri.

Anyway, last week I overheard an Alien news channel (I think it was called Fox or something) talking about the crash in Alamogordo. Apparently investigators in Nzu Yyrx (that's the capital city of Hamezrixa; the super power of Betelgeuse) have discovered that a scout ship was dispatched to Earth to get copies of ET because they thought it was a documentary about life on Betelgeuse.

Evidently the Aliens had a particularly sucessful raid and netted over 43 million carts. This overloaded the hyper-drive on their spangly new space ship and they ended up crashing in a rubbish dump. The government discovered the crashed ship while hiding the body of Jimmy Hoffer, and brought in the 'dozers to destroy all the evidence.

It's true

This has a lot of merit.  On www.serpo.org, the contending theory is that the "Roswell" crash actually did not take place in Roswell, but rather in two seperate locations in other New Mexico towns.  One of those towns just happens to be Alamogordo.  The reason we can't find the missing carts?  Totally because of the alien colony coverup (they've got good in the last 50 years at passing for human!).

I've been a receptacle for alien communication for years, ever since the time I was hit on the head by a bowling ball and had to have a metal antenna implanted in my brain.

My wife says it's just Paranoia, but I know it's Alpha Centauri.

Anyway, last week I overheard an Alien news channel (I think it was called Fox or something) talking about the crash in Alamogordo. Apparently investigators in Nzu Yyrx (that's the capital city of Hamezrixa; the super power of Betelgeuse) have discovered that a scout ship was dispatched to Earth to get copies of ET because they thought it was a documentary about life on Betelgeuse.

Evidently the Aliens had a particularly sucessful raid and netted over 43 million carts. This overloaded the hyper-drive on their spangly new space ship and they ended up crashing in a rubbish dump. The government discovered the crashed ship while hiding the body of Jimmy Hoffer, and brought in the 'dozers to destroy all the evidence.

It's true

1011441[/snapback]

Oh SWEET! I just looked on the Map. I own some land in Deming, New Mexico. It's less than 50 miles from Alamogordo!!!

Oh SWEET! I just looked on the Map. I own some land in Deming, New Mexico. It's less than 50 miles from Alamogordo!!!

1011445[/snapback]

Deming is 50 miles from Las Cruces...

Deming is about 100 from Alamogordo

(Having been to Deming, Las Cruces, Alomogordo and Roswell, as well as being a fervent map collector)

Edited by Inky

• 2 weeks later...

(Hopefully being on page two isn't THAT bad of a bump... :()

In all seriousness, I am still avidly interested in this topic, I just took an extended hiatus from AA to sort out my problems/work/school/college. I'm not try to beat a dead horse, nor purposely extend the life of a year old thread with BS posting and off topic humor.

I was not around in 1983, hell I am not even out of high school but I do care enough to see this put to rest once and for all by means of actually trying to acquire the said property and looking there.

Those radio signal boxes that can "see" through concrete are probably expensive, but are there any universities/colleges around the area that would be willing to take an "educational feild trip" to see if their technology would work in solving a REAL myth/legend?

If anything, Spud obviously knows the general location of the area. Does anyone own that land? If someone DOES would it be possible to get in contact with the owner and explain the situation and politely ask if someone/group of people could examine that land, even maybe dig around (use the telephone drill that was suggested) as long as we put everything back the way we found it?

This would of course be in no way a one day project, but if we could band a group of willing users and get some form of donation we could at least try to poke some holes in the ground. The companies that own those heavy machines really don't care what they are drilling holes for as long as you are paying them. I'm sure they'd gladly punch your name in the ground for Google Maps to see if you paid them enough.

With that said, if no one owns the property, find out who needs to be contacted to excavate there and agree that you will move the dirt/whatever back when you are done, as to not damage the property. By the looks of Google Maps, I highly doubt it's owned for the sole purpose of ATVs, where are the jumps and stuff? It's just flat land that people are likely trespassing on to use it for that purpose.

Im sure if someone DOES own it, and you DID find something, and the owner of the land understood the significance of the finding, that he probably wouldn't care if you searched the rest of the supposed "landfill" and got the proof out of it. I'm guessing the value of such "artifacts" would most definately bring in lots of money to help cover the costs of the whole ordeal. I mean, who WOULDN'T want an "Alamogordo Landfill ET Cartridge"? It would effectively put to rest a 23 year old legend.

On top of that, having a few holes popped in the ground with found evidence would most likely get more donations to be sent in just by curious people and companies. The hard part would of course be getting the required equipment to actually start performing the excavation, and having to deal with New Mexico heat, but if something was found it would be worth the work.

The problem with ME is that I'm 17 with no way of getting anywhere (my Ford would die before reaching Alamogordo) nor do I have any money to spare but a little bit from my website that I would have to "clear" with my working partner to donate away. I also lack the skills to do heavy research, since I am nowhere near the area. I'm still interested greatly in this matter though, but I understand if no one else really is all uppity about it anymore. I vowed to myself that one day I'd seriously put forth an effort to find this landfill -- by any means.

I think this topic is interesting because whether it's thinking the earth is only 6,000 years old, or OJ was innocent, we didn't go to the moon, the holocaust never happened, global warming isn't happening, people cling to whatever their bias makes them want to believe.

This debate is symbolic of this phenomenon. Applying a little scientific theory to this would be a good thing.

I think this topic is interesting because whether it's thinking the earth is only 6,000 years old, or OJ was innocent, we didn't go to the moon, the holocaust never happened, global warming isn't happening, people cling to whatever their bias makes them want to believe.

This debate is symbolic of this phenomenon.  Applying a little scientific theory to this would be a good thing.

1019075[/snapback]

The events you described have at least one common property: they are minority views supported by (at best) insufficient evidence, and the evidence on the other side is generally considered to be overwhelming.

In this case, I am not sure which side is generally considered to be overwhelming. So which side of this debate do you think has the preponderance of the evidence?

( I'm not try to beat a dead horse, nor purposely extend the life of a year old thread with BS posting and off topic humor.

I was not around in 1983, hell I am not even out of high school but

That was a bit snippy for a kid who is still wet behind the ears...

Who said our comments were off-topic HUMOR? Maybe we're serious.

Don't pick on the guy, peeps.

Hey, Radio F, as one of the posters to this topic, I can tell you that I take it somewhat seriously.

It's like this: we're interested in whether or not it's a case of Warner blowing smoke up our collective backsides. We'd like to see evidence of it if the fabled landfill exists (though, last info I checked, Atari paid to have cement poured on the crushed remains so as to prevent thefts from the landfill), but we're not holding our collective breaths.

And, like anything else, we'll offer up a few jokes about it. Doesn't mean we don't take it serious; just the opposite in fact. The ones that really don't take it seriously don't even bother posting here.

It's like the old joke:

One man says to another whom he heard shouting at a third, "What was that about?"

"Oh, just an argument. I seem to always be arguing with him."

"Well, why don't you just stay away from him?"

"What? He's one of my best friends!" :P

"Well, what about so-and-so?"

"I never talk to him."

"Why not?"

"Well, we're not friends." :roll:

Yeah, I just kinda went loopy like I do sometimes I guess... thanks for posting in my defense. I don't get many of those.

I'm still new I guess... since I tend to post erratically all the time. I admit I am a bit ignorant of everything about the 2600, since I wasn't around in those joyous of times. :(

My friends kinda think I'm crazy, because like I said, I vowed to start putting money away whenever I could so I could seriously go and make an attempt at finding them, if an AtariAge search team doesn't beat me. I might end up tanking a lot of money, or, if I find them, I might end up beingable to payoff the expenses... but hey it would make a nice book in the end... wouldn't it? :P

I just figured you're probably a pretty bright guy who is maybe wound a little too tightly at times about things you are passionate about (something not uncommon for pretty bright guys your age or really, twice your age)...

I was just having some fun with you and feeling like an older, wiser and kind of cocky, Han Solo kind of guy, in return...

"Watch your mouth kid, or you'll find yourself floating home"...

*Woah*... is that my GEEK hanging out? Let me put that sucker away. Sorry. No one wants to see that... ;)

But yeah, I agree... If I didn't have a certain acedemic interest in this legend, I wouldn't be here. It *is* neat to think there are tons of buried carts somewhere out in the wastelands of New Mexico. But... the opportunity to joke about how ironic it is that there is a myth about ET carts being buried in New Mexico miles from Roswell, along with rumors that the whole tech industry is founded on reverse engineered technology from the same rumored crash in that same area... is just too obvious to pass up. Weird that New Mexico would be a kind of hub for all of this legend and myth, and that it would all be so closely related. You *could* easily craft an entertaining conspiracy theory around it.

• 3 weeks later...

If anything, Spud obviously knows the general location of the area. Does anyone own that land? If someone DOES would it be possible to get in contact with the owner and explain the situation and politely ask if someone/group of people could examine that land, even maybe dig around (use the telephone drill that was suggested) as long as we put everything back the way we found it?

1019037[/snapback]

The city owns it as far as I know, or county. It was the dump after all, the city employee I spoke with said that it may be turned into a park in the future.

About the only way I can see them letting us dig is if we had a clear idea where it was, and probably 10 or 20k to grease the wheels, or if we started Atarifest or something there as a yearly event and it grew enough attention over the years like the ufo day they have in Roswell, maybe they would go along with it for the tourism dollars. Just a thought. I would really like to see a yearly event there, I think it would be a blast.

and now this....

I have read a sad bit of news, our one source M.E. McQuiddy that has eluded us, was appearantly not that hard to find, she was a teacher in El Paso, but passed away Jan 15th 2006

Here is the story I found on Stingrays page. Scoll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.stingraysmadness.com/index.php?...page&PAGE_id=96

and now this....

I have read a sad bit of news, our one source M.E. McQuiddy that has eluded us, was appearantly not that hard to find, she was a teacher in El Paso, but passed away Jan 15th 2006

1029833[/snapback]

That's really too bad. I know we're a little late at this point, but we should get together a card and have digital signatures put in it or something and send to her family. It's pretty amazing the little things we do in life that can touch other people, and in this case it was 20+ years after the fact. I really doubt she thought much of it while she was writing the article back in the day.

It's not the answer any of us was looking for. But it does give us some insight into her life and tells us to try a different direction. BTW, I'm assuming since it's been put on the website, you have confirmed this Stingray? Do we have any idea who the anonymous poster was?

-Jason

and now this....

1029833[/snapback]

That's really too bad. I know we're a little late at this point, but we should get together a card and have digital signatures put in it or something and send to her family. It's pretty amazing the little things we do in life that can touch other people, and in this case it was 20+ years after the fact. I really doubt she thought much of it while she was writing the article back in the day.

1029853[/snapback]

Thats a good idea, maybe the family heard details about the story they may share, never know.

You fools!!

Isn't it obvious!!??

SHE WAS MUDERED!!

Face it, The millions of buried carts don't exist. I told you the news story she wrote was made up. Atari gave her $25,000 and some coke and they got to write off millions of dollars. I put it out there, we start trying to contact her and "they" hit her to keep her from verifying my hypothesis.

LETS JUST DROP THIS NOW!!!

HOW MANY MORE WILL HAVE TO DIE BEFORE YOU WILL ACCEPT THE TRUTH!!!???

*bows*

Seriously that really does suck.

• 2 weeks later...

Since they're apparently going to turn it into a park eventually, wouldn't it be cool if someone silently left a professional-looking historical marker thingy there after the park opened? (It might also be possible to just get the Alamogordo city council to go for this and pay for it, but it wouldn't be as fun.) Maybe there could be a mention of McQuiddy in there somewhere, too.