IGNORED

Fonz

Wow I see, I thought this was really going to be great, but you mean this is like your first game?

And Batari Basic is too limited too?

I don't know, I thought it could do any game that was out there pretty well if you know how to program with it, but now I guess not.

Could Batari Basic do something like surround, and have a square bouncing around?

maybe like a Qix game?

Wade

Eh, I think it's too ambitious for me (and Batari BASIC) right now. The boxes can't look like jukeboxes, the ladies have to be naked (unless there's a bBasic version that supports multi-colored sprites), and I don't know where the Fonz should end up after touching a lady (go back to the top or stay where he is.)

It's not my first game, I've made many others. It's just I have a problem of where to go from here type thing. In order for me to have that brown square jumping around, that is using missile1. Problem is, missile0 and missile1 is limited to only being a rectangle or square. I can't make it have a round top edge to look like a jukebox. And missile1 has to be the same color as player1 (in this case, the women.) So if I were to say, make the jukebox purple, the girls would have to be purple as well. Batari Basic is a very nice tool, but it can't handle multi-colored sprites, or more than 2 custom-shaped ones. Hopefully someone with more Batari BASIC experience than me (like SeaStGruff, MausBoy, JBanes, or someone) will chime in and add their 2 cents to this.

Yes I hope you do get some more experienced help,the game seems it could be great! :thumbsup:

Well at least make Fonzie's knees move?

Sort of like this.

OOOXXOOO

OOXXXXOO

OXOXXOXO

OXOXXOXO

OOOXOXOO

OOXXXXOO

That is his right knee walking now his left

OOOXXOOO

OOXXXXOO

OXOXXOXO

OXOXXOXO

OOXOXOOO

OOXXXXOO

I think these two frames might look like walking, I don't know I haven't tried but at least it is a start and can improve from there?

Wade

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Since the screenshot doesn't show anything besides the player character (overlay?), such a homebrew or hack could be anything. Like hacking Enduro (tho really, it should be reverse-engineered to remove Enduro aspects like weather conditions/night transitions, and the counter changed to be a timer up to 100 seconds).

Nukey's hack and the "Walking Fonzie" game with the boxes and chicks are a GREAT start but when will the Fonz Hack or Homebrew see it's completion?

This might be a good project for Wickeycolumbus to have a look at. I leave you with my own words from 2005.

Wp

"You may ask yourself "Why all the sudden interest in a Fonz hack?" The answer isn't as simple as it may seem , first we have to look at the original coin op by Sega

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter...mp;game_id=7836

Have you ever seen anything cooler?? Of course not In 1976 nothing was cooler than big old video game machines except for Fonzie and Sega thru either marketing genius or perhaps the hand of The Lord himself decided to combine the two into what was to become the most legendary coin op of all time, however thru the years others became jealous of Fonz, they cried out in desperation "Fonz is outdated play Space Invaders" and other similar war cries, after almost three decades of assault and irrational prejudice against Fonz the game is almost forgotten not even available for MAME It is now time to end the madness and bring Fonz back to a population of gamers who have suffered missing out on its thrilling game play for far too long. Keep Hope Alive!! Fonzie will return If Sandmountainslim's talent were only in the field of hacking and computers instead of looking good and making a swell batch of baked beans the dream would already be reality but alas it is not so we await a saviour willing to risk all in order to rescue Fonz from obscurity and save the souls of a generation Who will this saviour be? Only time will tell. "

-Sandmountainslim, 2005

Edited by sandmountainslim

Nukey's hack and the "Walking Fonzie" game with the boxes and chicks are a GREAT start but when will the Fonz Hack or Homebrew see it's completion? This might be a good project for Wickeycolumbus to have a look at. I leave you with my own words from 2005.

Wp

I doubt this will happen unless more details of the game are made available - ideally a MAME emulation or even a video. One fuzzy screen shot really isn't enough.

Chris

I doubt this will happen unless more details of the game are made available - ideally a MAME emulation or even a video. One fuzzy screen shot really isn't enough.

MAME emulation is unlikely. It's a discrete circuit game, using ROM only for graphics. No dump has been made of the ROM yet. (It's identical to Sega's MotoCross, which has not been dumped either.)

Here's a link where you can find the manual for Fonz though.

It also made a fleeting appearance in the movie Midnight Madness.

Edited by Nathan Strum

No dump has been made of the ROM but I doubt that will hold Fonz back.

Fonz is one of the most legendary of the early pre-Space Invaders coin-ops in the same category as Seawolf and Gun Fight.

If it isn't dumped it will just be recreated from scratch.

Lack of ROM will not hold this baby back from the gaming world ;)

Wp

A cool concept would be a combo of the racing game and atari2600land's concept of dodging a box and getting chicks.

Race past so many motorcycles without crashing and then go to another screen where Fonzie has to dodge jukeboxes (dance?) in order to take chicks from Count Malachi and then back to motorcycle racing and so on.

Yeah, I know I am a "non-programmer idea peddler" but in the name of Fonz I ask for leniency.

Wp

• 4 weeks later...

The flyer for the Fonz game is great. If you read it and think about it, it tells you that the operator can configure the game to it is impossible to get extended play. You need 1000 points to get extended play, the timer can be set to 45 seconds, and the most points you can earn is 20 per second.

I can't believe the Fonz would associate himself with such an uncool underhanded trick. :P

MAME emulation is unlikely. It's a discrete circuit game, using ROM only for graphics. No dump has been made of the ROM yet.

Doesn't make emulation unlike tho.

Once the game logic is understood, that can be translated into a more conventional rom instruction set. The only question then becomes choosing a platform to make the rom for. It's a simple game, I'm sure there are many arcade boards that could handle it.

This was being discussed in another Fonz thread here. One of the sticking points some people have is that no two Fonz games played the same (even the same Fonz game didn't play the same depending on temp, humidity, how long it was on for, etc.). I still say this can and should be ignored as I seriously doubt it was intentional and only exists as a by-product of the use of old school discrete componenetes.

This was being discussed in another Fonz thread here. One of the sticking points some people have is that no two Fonz games played the same (even the same Fonz game didn't play the same depending on temp, humidity, how long it was on for, etc.). I still say this can and should be ignored as I seriously doubt it was intentional and only exists as a by-product of the use of old school discrete componenetes.

I agree.

This game is an arcade legend and is just begging to be built.

Already have one guaranteed buyer here between Macon and Muscle Shoals :)

As long as it has Fonzie racing a motorcycle it will sell hotcakes and bathtub gin!

Wp

Edited by sandmountainslim

One of the sticking points some people have is that no two Fonz games played the same (even the same Fonz game didn't play the same depending on temp, humidity, how long it was on for, etc.). I still say this can and should be ignored as I seriously doubt it was intentional and only exists as a by-product of the use of old school discrete componenetes.

I suppose you could have randomness introduced in the form of timing delays and logic branches and the like based on values of external data. Sources might include: temperature, humidity, light levels, clock for time of day/run time/date, GPS for location, compass for orientation, NVRAM storing total number of games played, camera to detect the color of the shirt being worn by the player, total current internet traffic volume, sunspot activity, New York State Lottery numbers for the big drawing of the week, number of "Happy Days" reruns appearing in a weekly online television programming guide, total count of hot dogs consumed by the winner of the most recent Nathan's International July Fourth Hot Dog Eating Contest, Atari Age store weekly 2600 homebrew sales figures, current U.S. national debt...

Or not.

What would really be interesting is to simply create a Multisim type engine plugin for MAME (and others EMUS) along with a tailored layout creator program for it.

Then one could just draw up the schematics of these games that could be loaded along with any gfx/snd roms.

I honestly don't think it would be as complicated as it sounds. It's mostly just a matter of defining a fixed set of end-points/components that tie into the emulator interpreter. IE: Have to use the "MAME Player Up" switch component for the player up switch in the schematic, and so on.

Someone, not me, should really work on this! :cool:

What would really be interesting is to simply create a Multisim type engine plugin for MAME (and others EMUS) along with a tailored layout creator program for it.

Then one could just draw up the schematics of these games that could be loaded along with any gfx/snd roms.

I honestly don't think it would be as complicated as it sounds. It's mostly just a matter of defining a fixed set of end-points/components that tie into the emulator interpreter. IE: Have to use the "MAME Player Up" switch component for the player up switch in the schematic, and so on.

Someone, not me, should really work on this! :cool:

I remember reading on a thread or in a blog where they were discussing the creation of a discrete component Pong replica. I think they mentioned that simulators weren't going to be fast enough to play the actual game from the circuit design. I found it interesting, the difficulty of simulating the circuit real-time in software even with the power of a modern computer.

[Edit]: Here's the discussion I remembered. It's on Dan Boris' blog:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...291#comment7048

Edited by BigO

Since the screenshot doesn't show anything besides the player character (overlay?), such a homebrew or hack could be anything. Like hacking Enduro (tho really, it should be reverse-engineered to remove Enduro aspects like weather conditions/night transitions, and the counter changed to be a timer up to 100 seconds).

Nukey's hack and the "Walking Fonzie" game with the boxes and chicks are a GREAT start but when will the Fonz Hack or Homebrew see it's completion?

This might be a good project for Wickeycolumbus to have a look at. I leave you with my own words from 2005.

Wp

"You may ask yourself "Why all the sudden interest in a Fonz hack?" The answer isn't as simple as it may seem , first we have to look at the original coin op by Sega

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter...mp;game_id=7836

Have you ever seen anything cooler?? Of course not In 1976 nothing was cooler than big old video game machines except for Fonzie and Sega thru either marketing genius or perhaps the hand of The Lord himself decided to combine the two into what was to become the most legendary coin op of all time, however thru the years others became jealous of Fonz, they cried out in desperation "Fonz is outdated play Space Invaders" and other similar war cries, after almost three decades of assault and irrational prejudice against Fonz the game is almost forgotten not even available for MAME It is now time to end the madness and bring Fonz back to a population of gamers who have suffered missing out on its thrilling game play for far too long. Keep Hope Alive!! Fonzie will return If Sandmountainslim's talent were only in the field of hacking and computers instead of looking good and making a swell batch of baked beans the dream would already be reality but alas it is not so we await a saviour willing to risk all in order to rescue Fonz from obscurity and save the souls of a generation Who will this saviour be? Only time will tell. "

-Sandmountainslim, 2005

I just saw this post for the first time now. I will look into it, but Manhole has priority (haven't been able to work on it for a while though...):

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...hl=manhole+2600

-Rick