IGNORED

Hardsynth

emkay

Hm.... the response to this Thread can only have one cause....

People are speechless, because they hear pieces of music , of what was thought, Pokey can not play. ;)

Here another variation of the base sound .... some deep arpeggio is added and the short drum is a small sound effect now.

Edited by emkay

Hm.... the response to this Thread can only have one cause....

People are speechless, because they hear pieces of music , of what was thought, Pokey can not play. ;)

Here another variation of the base sound .... some deep arpeggio is added and the short drum is a small sound effect now.

or another variation :)

What about this one?

very funny tune :thumbsup: ....though the 1.79MHz filtered main voice is still a bit hard to get in perfect pitch :ponder:

Well... 1.79MHz is the only way of having a sound at the start of a filter voice.

Still the combination of 1.79MHz filter and 15kHz bass tones proofs that pokey really can sound "soft".

BTW. My resources of convertable mods are almost off.

Expect really one last tune now.

I almost did Very (;-) ) much examples more than I expected .... :ponder:

Well... as long as I find some "Idea" for converting MODS, and for giving "ideas" to musicians, I'll try my best ;-)

The following tune is a MOD that uses Samples for playing different filter Settings of the C64's SID analogue filters...

Here a conversion, trying to have the needed (filter) colours of the main voice by different timings.

Well. It is not possible to code an analogue filter, but the timing gives slightly different sounds for some similar variations.

Well... as long as I find some "Idea" for converting MODS, and for giving "ideas" to musicians, I'll try my best ;-)

The following tune is a MOD that uses Samples for playing different filter Settings of the C64's SID analogue filters...

Here a conversion, trying to have the needed (filter) colours of the main voice by different timings.

Well. It is not possible to code an analogue filter, but the timing gives slightly different sounds for some similar variations.

still more impressive!

So it seems we don't need SOFTSYNTH after all :D (just joking, but softsynth alike sound seems now available for a 5% cpu time music kernel)

Holy shit Sandor! Hogy vagy? i am desparadly searching for esp. for Tamas? how are things? just in case you are THE Sandor... of Hard...

Hi!

I'm well, thank you. It was a very long time ago when I checked for Atari stuff last time. ..but now I've seen this impressive POKEY usage method by emkay and I wanted to say a greetings for that. I still have my Atari 800XL, but it wasn't started since years (work, family, other projects, etc...). I guess I'll find some place for it along with some C64s, because I really miss them. So, I can't tell any news since about 1996 ;) The last things we coded for Dress for Success (after Joyride, never released) in 1995/96 was the HIP graphic mode itself (I know that you remember the time when Tomi was telling me that I have to fix the logo under the 256-color Plasma and I was keep telling him that it is not my fault, really :) ) and a HIP intro screen; a Wolfenstein-like thing (by Tomi); a 256-color waterdrop thing @ 50Hz (by me, improved version of our original whirlpool effect), a huge spinnig torus @ 25Hz (by me) and maybe some other things I don't remember. I have the contact of Tamas, so I'll ask him to contact you via email.

Regards,

Téli Sándor, Hard Software

Hi!

Nice to see someone frome Hard/Software joining ATARIAGE just for writing some positive opinion about my "experiments".

How did you recognize it?

Can you explain, what in particular you like, within the tunes? Not for me, but for the other ATARIAN people.

Well.... I really try to bring ATARI Musicians into my techniques, but Music does better when inside a demo.... to give better impressions.

Any Ideas?

regards

Hi emkay!

I had to copy this into the public since you wanted others to read my personal opinion.

First of all, I hear a lot of possibilities when listening to your techniques. I like your experiments because the sounds are much more interesting and variable than the "traditionally known sound" of the POKEY. The main power of it is that it doesn't use timers like soft-synths which are rendering special sounds in real-time, so it doesn't really require extra CPU time. Like you've said before, it can be used in serious demos because of this fact.

As you know, I'm not into the Atari since 1995/1996, so I don't know the current trackers. The first thing this technique needs in my opinion is a tracker written especially for it. (if there isn't one yet) In your place, I'd start to code such a tracker from scratch by experimenting a lot with the most popular C64 trackers. When you're really familiar with them, you'll be able to decide which functions can you implement with this new technique and which are still impossible. I think that the key is that the implementation of the new functions must be as simple as possible. I guess you're a lot into math and physics, so maybe you can implement a filter with a cutoff value or something like that. You should also implement selectable waveforms, pulsewidht for the square waveform, ring modulation, etc... Whatever you think is possible. Eliminate the need of understanding the core of your techniques when someone composes music. So, this is I'd need if I wanted to compose anything on Atari using your techniques.

Like I said before, this is my personal opinion and I missed the last 10 years of Atari, so forgive me if all that stuff exists already ;)

Regards,

Nice to hear from Hard Software :)

BTW, what happened to the game Logo (or Logos, I can't remember)? It would be great if you could archive all your unreleased stuff before everything is lost.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

How do you know about it? :) It was a logical game and I think it was entertaining.

It wasn't 100% ready. I don't remember what was exactly missing, since it has a starting screen and some playable levels.

I don't know if I have all of my disks, so I don't know if this unfinished game still exists.

Anyway, if I find it once, I'll pass it on to you ;)

Regards,