IGNORED

Why is the Gamecube crap?

Perhaps the GC gets its reputation as a "kids" system because of misconceptions and the premise that only the Xbox and PS2 are cool because of online play and cussing/killing "adult" titles (GTA).

While I believe that Little Nemo and Sesame Street and Spongebob are kids titles that are geared to kids, I'm not so sure that other titles that have a reputation as "kids" titles are really that. For examples:

Animal Crossing - addictive fun, especially with the NES games built in. Is it a kids title?

Pokemon - a pretty good RPG game that is quite involved when you get into it. Kids title?

Harvest Moon - no bloodshed or cussing but a lot of fun. A kids title?

Mario Kart - no Twisted Metal or Burn Out here but damn fun. Kids game?

Isn't it possible that there are just some misconceptions by people that the majority of games on the GC are "kids" games when in reality they could be just FUN games?

Mendon

Pokemon - Kids title?

898116[/snapback]

Hell yes. I fail to see how a Pokemon game is less of a kids game than Spongebob simply because it's good.

Isn't it possible that there are just some misconceptions by people that the majority of games on the GC are "kids" games when in reality they could be just FUN games?

898116[/snapback]

Yes, they are fun, but they are aimed at kids. You don't see adults flocking to G-rated movies, do you? No, because G-rated movies are primarily for kids. Just like Nintendo's E-rated games are primarily for kids. They are damn fun, but meant for kids nonetheless. :ponder:

I think you are confusing fun-ness with image.

MK:DD is a fun game. Kids love it, and flock to it like bees to honey. That however has nothing to do with the fact the game presentation and design is obviously geared at children. Fun has nothing to do with image.

I grew up playing nintendo, and respect that they were able to resurrect the dying videogame industry with the nes. That being said, I don't care whether or not a game is geared for kids, or if my friends call me names for playing a childish games,as long as its fun and I enjoy playing, I love it.

The cube has lots of great games, btw.

Here are some of mine:

both Viewtiful joes

Pikmin 1.2

and I'm sure there are more. woot!!

I think you are confusing fun-ness with image.

MK:DD is a fun game. Kids love it, and flock to it like bees to honey. That however has nothing to do with the fact the game presentation and design is obviously geared at children. Fun has nothing to do with image.

898175[/snapback]

Don't disagree with you or Needles at all.

The point of my post (and I sometimes don't explain myself well and I apologize if I'm confusing) is that sometimes we get so hung up on lables or image that we don't see what is really there.

I feel that the GC is labled as a kiddie system based simply on an image: Pokemon. Pokemon was/is marketed towards kids and because Nintendo put so much value on the game and made it a flagship for several of its systems, now Nintendo itself is labled as kiddie. Despite the fact that there are "adult" type games available for the system (RE, EA Sports, Rainbow Six, Goldeneye, etc), many view the GC as kid oriented simply because of Pokemon. Thus, many will overlook the GC and some of the excellent games for it based simply on an image of Pokemon.

I'm not coming down on anyone or anything.. just commenting that often we dismiss things without really trying them based solely on an image. There are many things I enjoy that might be labled as kiddie and it doesn't really matter to me. The Harry Potter books are labled as kiddie but I find the series a very good read and enjoy them. The Incredibles is labled as a kiddie movie but I enjoyed it alot and own it. Many may view Disney World as nothing more than a kiddie land but I find it entertaining, enjoy several rides (Space Mountain amoung them) and call it an amusement park.

The Gamecube is viewed by many as a kiddie system and maybe Nintendo wants it and likes it that way. For myself, the Gamecube is a video game system with something for everyone and I kind of like it like that.

Mendon

And I got the 4.5 From the Official X-Box magazine, issue one (that, and the fact you can actually buy full sized burnable DVD's and their all rated at least 4.5)

Mine say 4.7GB.

Either way, that's the MAX size for the industry-standard single layer DVD. Not a SMALL game.

Eh, either way, that's cool, and your right about small games, most are still on CD's.

This question goes out to anyone who knows, how do you tell the difference between DVD and CD games on X-Box? On PS2 it's easy, the CD's are the dark blue purplish color, while DVD's are Silver or Gold. But All the X-Box games (or the ones I have) are silver and gold. (talking about the read side) The games don't appear to have CD or DVD listed on them. Just curious.

And not including Dual layering, simply cause I'm talking without any need of anything special.  Besides, I'm not sure really if any of the current systems can even read dual layered DVD's for game pruposes, anybody know?

As far as I know, all 3 can.

Cool!!!, I've just never read it anywhere, that'd be a damn big game though, either way (though they'd probably waist it all on graphics rather than the game itself)

As far as making a DVD player that can't read CD's, Yeah, I'm sure that is possible.  But I have personally never seen one, other than the cube.  I'd really like to see you list others, that are full size (ie plays 5" discs) that won't play CD's (and I'm talking real CD's, since many of the consoles that I know of either wouldn't play CDR, CDRW, or both)

I didn't say they DID. Just that it can be done.

CD and DVD use diffrent wavelengths of laser.

You have to have the hardware to generate both wavelengths to read both disks.

While it's not really hard to add the second wavelength, it's not used for DVD at all.

I wasn't aware of that, I knew the CD couldn't reed DVD's for some reason like that, but I always figured the DVD read CD's with the same lense.

And if you could please do me the favor of quoting the post you're replying to next time, it would help greatly.

897984[/snapback]

Sorry about that, I got this problem called "I'm a lazy arse" LOL :P

Eh, either way, that's cool, and your right about small games, most are still on CD's.

This question goes out to anyone who knows, how do you tell the difference between DVD and CD games on X-Box?  On PS2 it's easy, the CD's are the dark blue purplish color, while DVD's are Silver or Gold.  But All the X-Box games (or the ones I have) are silver and gold. (talking about the read side) The games don't appear to have CD or DVD listed on them.  Just curious.

I think all XBox games are on DVD.

Cool!!!, I've just never read it anywhere, that'd be a damn big game though, either way (though they'd probably waist it all on graphics rather than the game itself)

Well... Star Ocean 3 is 2-disk.

I wasn't aware of that, I knew the CD couldn't reed DVD's for some reason like that, but I always figured the DVD read CD's with the same lense.

They do. I'm not up enough on electronics to know if they use the same laser diode or twins, though. I THINK it's the same one, but I'm not sure.

Sorry about that, I got this problem called "I'm a lazy arse"  LOL :P

898515[/snapback]

Hah.

Edit: Fscking quote parser.

Edited by JB

I've been thinking about this, what Nintendo needs to do with their next system is go all out to nip the "kiddie console" image in the butt once and for all. When the new system launches the most heavily promoted game should be...Evil Satanic Wrath Of The Death God. This will be the game to kill the kid image. When you boot up your Revolution, You are greeted with the following speech (read by that dude who does the radio commercials for horror flicks.)

The Evil Satanic Wrath Of The Death God shall be known to all who enter his forbidden abode.

Then it begins, the most gruesome, non-PC carnage on a home console EVA!

Demonic pre-teens with Down-syndrome

Evil Satanic Mexican Monks

Topless Jewish Stripper Banshee's

Innocent babies harboring demon eggs within there stomachs

THEY ALL MUST BE DESTOYED IN A SPARY OF CRIMSON AND BONE!!

Here's the catch (And Nintendos way out of trouble). The main character is a priest.

The weapons are things like. Holy water Launcher..... Cross To Bear.... Fish and Wine Multiplier. Like all good video games, You have a side kick.

Sister Many Francis

She a nun...But not a hot nun with garters and a DDD boobs. Nope, Mary F is like 75 years old and uses her aura of the lord to protect you as you make your way through the game.

To me this is perfect, the most controversal game ever, but it's ok because you are saving these poor souls from damnation. Nintendo can't lose.

How about a Nintendo taking advantage of its special relationship with Capcom to develop "Mario Can Cry Too"? For the first time in videogame history Peach gets abducted by Bowser and Mario doesn't give a frack! We'll have mario jumping (woohoo!) and stomping in acrobatic grace and style while taking down Bowser and it's goons with dual handed guns and allucination-inducing mushroom powerups. Taking a cue from PS2 games we will also get 10 minutes of un-skippable cutscenes in between every 3 minutes of play and savespots placed just once every level at the very beginning. :lol:

How about a Nintendo taking advantage of its special relationship with Capcom to develop  "Mario Can Cry Too"? For the first time in videogame history Peach gets abducted by Bowser and Mario doesn't give a frack! We'll have mario jumping (woohoo!) and stomping in acrobatic grace and style while taking down Bowser and it's goons with dual handed guns and allucination-inducing mushroom powerups. Taking a cue from PS2 games we will also get 10 minutes of un-skippable cutscenes in between every 3 minutes of play and savespots placed just once every level at the very beginning.  :lol:

898732[/snapback]

Scrap the cutscenes and I'd pay good money for it. :P

Moreso if we floow it with "Peach No. 03" where Peach kicks Bowser's ass in a jumpsuit.

Yes, I really AM that desperate for a PN3 sequel.

I found this funny article at 1up.com. It's called "Tough Customer: We play dumb with store clerks to see who helps us shop smart". They sent a "spy" to some major game stores and asked clerks dumb questions about videogames to see how they reacted. Read it for a chuckle, but also notice how the "kiddie" stigma is evidently portrayed throughout the article.

Spy: Is the GameCube just for kids?

Clerk: It's more for toddlers and a little bit above that. For an adult, I would recommend the others. The graphics [on the GameCube] aren't as good as an adult would be into. And they have more kids' games than they do adult games.

Edited by Dones

The EB Games employee sounds like me. I hate stupid customers.

I don't know shit about cars, vacuum cleaners, or furniture.

However, when it has been time to shop for them, I take the time to learn a little bit about them before hand. It doesn't take much to pick up a little basic knowledge, and as this article shows; it will help you much more than the know-nothings in most retail will.

I found this funny article at 1up.com. It's called "Tough Customer: We play dumb with store clerks to see who helps us shop smart". They sent a "spy" to some major game stores and asked clerks dumb questions about videogames to see how they reacted. Read it for a chuckle, but also notice how the "kiddie" stigma is evidently portrayed throughout the article.

Spy: Is the GameCube just for kids?

Clerk: It's more for toddlers and a little bit above that. For an adult, I would recommend the others. The graphics [on the GameCube] aren't as good as an adult would be into. And they have more kids' games than they do adult games.

902447[/snapback]

Article's good for a laugh, but IMO, it was created with a very visible bias towards GameStop.

Having been a new PS2 owner for a few weeks now, and having owned all the systems, I'm still having a hard time picking between any of them as the "best" system. Okay....perhaps my PS2 died before I could really form a *nice* opinion (the first-gen's of the PS2 leave a very BAD taste in my mouth), but from what I've played thus far, it's a blast.

Now now, that's not saying I don't love Nintendo (but not a rabid hardcore fan, just enjoy it), and the Gamecube DOES have a few great RPG's (like Tales of Symphonia), I just like the looks of the PS2 (sleek, black, nicely color lights..lol). I am acquiring an N64 shortly, and I'll play all those "kiddie" games to my hearts content. I'll even be playing a Pokemon game! Granted, I'll keep the shades down, but hell, as long as none of my adult friends see me, all will be good. lol

Steve :ponder:

Now now, that's not saying I don't love Nintendo (but not a rabid hardcore fan, just enjoy it), and the Gamecube DOES have a few great RPG's (like Tales of Symphonia), I just like the looks of the PS2 (sleek, black, nicely color lights..lol). I am acquiring an N64 shortly, and I'll play all those "kiddie" games to my hearts content. I'll even be playing a Pokemon game! Granted, I'll keep the shades down, but hell, as long as none of my adult friends see me, all will be good. lol

It's funny, I find the PS2 to be pretty ugly. Not Xbox ugly, but ugly enough.

Black electronics are such a cliche.

I think the GameCube is a marvelous compact design.

Hmm, well, I guess it's a "parent's perspective"..lol..on the way the PS2 looks. I like "black sexies" alot (being a former 5200 owner), so yeah, she's sleek, low profile (laying down), sexy light-up buttons, cool "PS2" logo...ahhh, I'm in love! :lust:

But yes, ahem............the Gamecube does have a wonderfully compact design. I did enjoy that it didn't take up too much space. I just prefer the black design over other designs..I guess I do enjoy the cliches..to me it says, "I'm a powerful sleek machine! PLAY ME!!" lol :ponder:

Steve

Hmm, well, I guess it's a "parent's perspective"..lol..on the way the PS2 looks. I like "black sexies" alot (being a former 5200 owner), so yeah, she's sleek, low profile (laying down), sexy light-up buttons, cool "PS2" logo...ahhh, I'm in love!  :lust:

But yes, ahem............the Gamecube does have a wonderfully compact design. I did enjoy that it didn't take up too much space. I just prefer the black design over other designs..I guess I do enjoy the cliches..to me it says, "I'm a powerful sleek machine! PLAY ME!!" lol  :ponder:

Cool...as a bit of a Nintendo-fan boy (though I have all 3 systems) I get defensive about people who don't "get" the GC's nice form factor. I'd LOVE to have a PC with that shape...(MacMini anyone?)

Xbox though...man, those fins are just crazy. I wanna like 'em w/ the 2600 tie-in I guess, but the thing is so big and heavy...

You know what they say: "Nintendo is the Apple of the videogame industry".

903185[/snapback]

Yeah, that's probably a pretty smart comparison.

I have to admit, I'm surprised but happy that the DS seems to be having a stronger impact than the PSP. (Though I wish they had put in a small analog stick...that Mario 64 vis touchpad is just crummy). Assuming the trend continues, and survives stuff like GTA being ported to PSP (hmm, wonder if that whole retardedness w/ Hot Coffee will have any impact) it really says something about handheld gaming, that it's not just console gaming made smaller.

(Come to think of it the PSP approach reminds me of early Microsoft WinCE, where they tried to scale down the desktop. Palm kicked their butt by keeping it friendly intuitive and simple.)

Very true. It's interesting how designs are going as far as consoles go. However, the more unique to me, the better, like the N64 and Gamecube. The Nintendo giants just don't follow the stream, as it were, and bless 'em for that. lol

I just like the color black.........and yeah, perhaps I'm just generalizing, but hell, if it looks good, it's more apt to get played, yes? You WANT to play a system that "sticks out" from the crowd.

And boy oh boy, does the Xbox STICK out! lol :ponder:

Steve :D

Edited by classicgamingguy