IGNORED

Why is the Gamecube crap?

Don't worry i dont think i will ever be getting a ps3 or psp.

LOL Think????

If you DO decided to get it and dont like it, please keep it to yourself. After months and months posting to this forum.... bitching about Sony you will come off looking mighty retarded if you do. Just spare the rest of us, you'll have no-one to blame but yourself at that point. Agreed?

5 bucks says he gets one and bitches in spite of it all ; )

Amen, brother! :D

Look i buy systems that have games i like and if a system doesn't have any games i like i don't buy them. Same reason i don't like the psp or ps2. The only way i would buy a ps3 is if a flood of truly awesome and innovative games came out for it. And it cost under 300$ but we all know that at least 1 of those things is impossible so nope won't bet getting one. Bet that makes you happy.

I have a Game Cube, and rather like it. (Like, not love)

The thing is, I play the GameCube mostly for the GameBoy Player, and that's cause my eyeballs are too shot to stare at the small screen of an actual gameboy anymore.

But when it comes to Actual GameCube Games, the GameCube is pretty Poor IMO. The last game I bought, and liked enough to bother finishing, much less play again, was Warioland. I like that style of game, but they simply don't exist anymore in mainstreem.

The GameCube has it's problems, as I mentioned, not to many good games, Most the good ones, are Nintendo titles, and most of those could have been done on the 64 (although the graphics wouldn't have been quiet as pretty)

I mean, think about it, for real, GameCube has Mario Sunshin (sucked IMO, non traditional gameplay style) Luigi's mansion, which was OK, but not great, and could have been done on any previous system back to the 16 bit era, Rogue Leader, Ok, that one was decent, if a little to easy. Zelda Wind Waker, just a cheap port of the 64 versions of Zelda (which sucked IMO) Super Smash Brothers, good, but was already out on 64, and what? 4 Mario Party games?

I'd have to admit Metriod Prime was pretty cool, but it was, like so many of the other cube titles released by Nintendo, slated for release on the 64.

For the most part, the Cubes games were ports of 64 games, and they feel like it.

Then you have the controller, I can't use the cube Controller, cause I get Carpletunnel (sp?) so I use 3rd party instead. The sticks are cheap, and it's pretty messed up that the click is in the shoulder buttons rather than the sticks.

There's little to no support for the online thing. Honestly, besides Phantasy Star, was there any games made to actually use the modem?

Of course there's the Kiddie aspect, which didn't scare me away, I loved Nintendo's first party games, which for the most part, people would consider Kiddy. Sorry, people can argue this till their face turns blue, it won't change fact to fiction.

Then there's the lack of extra's. I mean, come on, the PS2 and X-Box have a DVD player built in (which automatically means they'll play CD's) Sure, you can get a real DVD player, but most that would argue this point are people like me that don't have the room for a bunch of crap, so combined systems are a must for them. Hey, if someone made a system that had PS2, GC, X-Box and a DVD player, I'd streight buy it. But what does Nintendo have? Not only does it not have any of these functions, it can't have them, because of the small disk.

And that's another thing, the small disc, I mean, it was a great anty piracy thing, but it's also a great space limiter. I mean, GameCube Games, are what? 1.5 Gigs?, the small games for PS2 and X-Box are 4.5 Gigs. Three times as big. Yeah, you could make a game span multiple discs, but you'd have to put it on 3 just to match PS2 or X-Box. That means higher cost.

Over all I like my GameCube, and love the fact that I can play my GameBoy on TV without the SNES now, but the Cube has over all been a mass dissappointment, even for a onetime fanboy like me.

I'd have to admit Metriod Prime was pretty cool, but it was, like so many of the other cube titles released by Nintendo, slated for release on the 64.
[

No it wasn't.

Then there's the lack of extra's.  I mean, come on, the PS2 and X-Box have a DVD player built in (which automatically means they'll play CD's)

Actually, it doesn't. You can easily make a DVD player that only plays DVDs.

Heck, you can easily make a DVD drive that can't even see CDs.

And that's another thing, the small disc, I mean, it was a great anty piracy thing, but it's also a great space limiter.  I mean, GameCube Games, are what? 1.5 Gigs?, the small games for PS2 and X-Box are 4.5 Gigs.

Actually, 4.7 is the MAX size for a PS2 or XBox disk currently(but not the max size the systems can take).

The smallest don't even fill a 650 MB CD-ROM.

They COULD go to 8.5 GB if they were to go to a dual-layer DVD.

GameCube is ... 2.4 GB, if I recall.

4.5 or thereabouts is the max disk capacity. Quite competitive, really.

But no one wants to go dual-layer.

And the disk size isn't really an effective anti-piracy measure. It's a standard form factor and drops into a PC nicely.

What IS an effective anti-piracy mechansim is the proprietary disk format and data encryption.

Three times as big. 

Twice as big.

Yeah, you could make a game span multiple discs, but you'd have to put it on 3 just to match PS2 or X-Box.  That means higher cost.

And there's a few 2-disk GC games.

I know of... 1 2-disk PS2 game, and no XBox ones.

You COULD do a dual-layer GC disk, but the manufacturing costs are signifigantly more than to stamp out a second single-layer disk.

I believe that Nintendo was betting the game industry would embrace dual-layer as rapidly as the movie industry did. Instead, the game industry has shunned it.

NOT HAVING A DVD PLAYER ISN'T A PROBLEM!!! I BET YOU ALREADY HAVE A STAND ALONE ONE....OR USE ON OF YOUR OTHER CONSOLES FOR THAT...IT ISN'T A FREAKING ISSUE AND HELPS THE COST OF THE CONSOLE...YOUR ARGUMENT IS FLAWED...

im sorry for all caps, but I'm so sick of that crutch

NOT HAVING A DVD PLAYER ISN'T A PROBLEM!!! I BET YOU ALREADY HAVE A STAND ALONE ONE....OR USE ON OF YOUR OTHER CONSOLES FOR THAT...IT ISN'T A FREAKING ISSUE AND HELPS THE COST OF THE CONSOLE...YOUR ARGUMENT IS FLAWED...

im sorry for all caps, but I'm so sick of that crutch

892572[/snapback]

That is a silly crutch. Cost wise, cheap DVD players are somewhere up there with a hard cover book; wow, talk about big savings. (Anyone who thinks the PS2's DVD playing ability isn't the equivalent of a cheap DVD player obviously needs glasses.)

Honestly, that is like me trying to tell people that they should buy an N-Gage mainly because of the built in FM radio. I'd be all like, "think about it, you can pick up radio waves on a bunch of different frequencies. Not just that, but you can listen to it at multiple volume settings." I think it sounds just as silly hearing someone tell me that I can "whoopdie-do, pay extra to have a poor DVD player built into my PS2". There are currently 3 DVD players in this house and 2 computers with DVD drives. I'm buying a case of them for stocking stuffers this year.

I'm buying a case of them for stocking stuffers this year.

893131[/snapback]

:lol:

Yeah, I've never quite gotten the appeal of the DVD player capability of the PS2.

<rant>

Manufacturers of every type of electronic device seem to be obsessed these days with creating an "all-in-1" unit that can not only do what the device is intended to do, but 10 other things too... but the problem is, they NEVER do all (or even most) of those things VERY WELL... and usually (i.e. cell phones) it comes at the expense of reduced quality for the device's primary purpose! (I don't want to play video games on a 120x120 display on my phone... I don't want friggin' low-res blurry PHOTOS from my phone... just give me a damn phone that actually WORKS as a PHONE inside BUILDINGS!!!!

:mad:

</rant>

;)

And I have to add:

Yeah! Dammit all to hell, WHY are these "game systems" multitasking? I prefer to just play GAMES on a GAME console, not check my email, call my buddy, look up an address, etc. Silly things, these multi tasking monsters. And the NEXT generation of consoles will do EVEN MORE than the current gen's! :-o

I realize that some people enjoy the options of multitasking, but for simple gaming goodness, you can't beat a Gamecube.

Steve

Making a system multitask doesn't necessarily mean it can't do one task well. Having DVD capabilities on PS2 or Xbox doesn't make them any worse at running games.

893221[/snapback]

I can agree with that. However, it generally does lead to a bigger price tag for a slew of features that aren't at all essential to game playing. I mean, I probably like my N-Gage more than any other system, but if I could have had the option to get one without the phone built in with a $50 lower price tag, then I would have taken it. In fact, if I could have gotten an Xbox or a PS2 with $50 knocked off the price (and consequently no DVD player) then perhaps I would have bought one of those by now.

Yeah, a $25-$50 price drop for ps2 or xbox this year wouldn't hurt a bit. Maybe Sony will announce it near christmas to compete with 360.

I think the GC is a good console but it has had its problems. Image is a big problem for the Gamecube. Just from what I have read here I think this is the major problem the console has. People seem divided between liking/disliking the console, with some extremes in between. Is it kiddy or is it not? People can't seem to agree on this one.

Another problem is the strong trend of children oriented 3rd party support. The cube does get its Splinter Cells, Killer 7's and Medal of Honors, but this offering seems small in comparison to the amount of Little Nemos, Digimon, and many other children-branded franchises that are released (from the few releases the GC gets every month).

If you only play GC for Nintendo titles then you are probably starving. Waiting for Nintendo to release another franchise sequel can take years in between. Their games are usually worth waiting for, but when the options are slim any game you play will feel great no matter what. I think a good question to ask GC-only owners would be: do you feel you are missing out?

Let me repeat: GC is a good console in spite its problems. Not crap, but not the best either (excellent stuff for debate though).

On a side note: Have you guys noticed this thread is close to have been viewed 2,500 times? Not to mention it has stayed active for a couple of weeks now. This is definitely a hot topic.

Edited by Dones

And I just HAVE to add:

Since I recently acquired a PS2, and I've never owned one before (funny how I've owned everything else but skipped this system), I was curious about the DVD functionality. Since my stepson let me borrow his DVD player, I'm now using the PS2 to play DVD's..

Sometimes it can't read the disc....sometimes it stops....sometimes it just sounds like it's eating the DVD...

Bleh...game systems should be GAME systems. As stated earlier in this thread, you can buy a cheap DVD player for $30.00. And I do understand sometimes space is an issue. In that case, buy a system that can "do it all"..

But, after playing both the PS2 and Gamecube in the past, I prefer my PS2...

At least until next week. :roll: :D

Steve

And I do understand sometimes space is an issue. In that case, buy a system that can "do it all"..

Steve

893545[/snapback]

Well, space could never be an issue because of a DVD player. I mean, tape this to a GameCube and it's still only the size of an Xbox.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...%5Fid=16%2D3901

Or either of the $40 ones from here:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_lis...3A62055%3A95987

Hey nobody messes with the Disney Princess DVD Player! It's soooo cute! Granted the Princess TV only plays tv shows, but with this $70 dollar add-on you'll be able able to watch Princess Diaries movies to your heart's content! :P:lol:

0074972000329_215X215.jpg

Edited by Dones

I thought we were trying to show that the Cube wasn't a kiddie machine?  :twisted:

0074972000328_215X215.jpg

893801[/snapback]

Hey, I said the $40 ones, not the $70 ones. This is another good example of the name Disney costing a bunch of extra money. The best example of that I saw the other night. In a store there were normal rubber balls (I can't even say ruber balls without laughing) for $1.99 in the same bin as ones the same colour and size with a Mickey face on them. The Mickey ones were $7.99. That's $6 for a face.

If I were going to put a pink Princess DVD player on any console it'd be the Xbox. I just think that would be funny, the big monster Xbox with a cute little pink add on. then everytime I argued about if the GameCube was kiddie, I'd always argue that it was better than the Cinderellabox.

If I were going to put a pink Princess DVD player on any console it'd be the Xbox.  I just think that would be funny, the big monster Xbox with a cute little pink add on.  then everytime I argued about if the GameCube was kiddie, I'd always argue that it was better than the Cinderellabox.

893845[/snapback]

Better idea: gut the XBox and put the parts in the Disney DVD player. :P

(yes, I know it won't fit)

If I were going to put a pink Princess DVD player on any console it'd be the Xbox.  I just think that would be funny, the big monster Xbox with a cute little pink add on.  then everytime I argued about if the GameCube was kiddie, I'd always argue that it was better than the Cinderellabox.

893845[/snapback]

Better idea: gut the XBox and put the parts in the Disney DVD player. :P

(yes, I know it won't fit)

893889[/snapback]

Heck, it might not fit in a 747.

Hey JB?! Where have you been? lol J/K, it's just that I know a guy in real life who's name is actually JB.

Most of your arguement seems based on the Disc size. But The fact of the matter is, if you do the math, the 3" discs, simply have 1/3 the surface area of the 5" discs. As for the sizes I listed, the 1.5 came from Nintendo themselves

Nintendo

Media : 3 inch NINTENDO GAMECUBE Disc based on Matsushita's Optical Disc Technology, Approx. 1.5GB Capacity [/b]

Don't believe me? Go check it out yourself at Nintendo .com It's also listed in every relevant article Nintendo put out, such as Nintendo Power from the era of NGC's release, as well as the Cubes own owner's manual.

And I got the 4.5 From the Official X-Box magazine, issue one (that, and the fact you can actually buy full sized burnable DVD's and their all rated at least 4.5)

And naturally, I'm not including compression techniques, cause that depends soly on the technique used. And not including Dual layering, simply cause I'm talking without any need of anything special. Besides, I'm not sure really if any of the current systems can even read dual layered DVD's for game pruposes, anybody know?

Even if the current gen can read layered DVD's, that makes GameCube 3 gig, and X-box/PS2 9 gigs.

I'm sure some Techies here could varify these, or debunk them if I'm wrong, but according to the people that made the consoles I'm right.

As far as making a DVD player that can't read CD's, Yeah, I'm sure that is possible. But I have personally never seen one, other than the cube. I'd really like to see you list others, that are full size (ie plays 5" discs) that won't play CD's (and I'm talking real CD's, since many of the consoles that I know of either wouldn't play CDR, CDRW, or both)

Yeah, I'm aware that reading DVD's and CD's is a pretty weak arguement, but it seems most people that read my post zoned in on that and acted like it was the only one. Thanks to all who actually acknowledged that there was other reasons listed.

Most of your arguement seems based on the Disc size.  But The fact of the matter is, if you do the math, the 3" discs, simply have 1/3 the surface area of the 5" discs.  As for the sizes I listed, the 1.5 came from Nintendo themselves
Nintendo

Media : 3 inch NINTENDO GAMECUBE Disc based on Matsushita's Optical Disc Technology, Approx. 1.5GB Capacity [/b]

Don't believe me? Go check it out yourself at Nintendo .com It's also listed in every relevant article Nintendo put out, such as Nintendo Power from the era of NGC's release, as well as the Cubes own owner's manual.

My mistake. I should have caught that one, too.

*kicks self*

And I got the 4.5 From the Official X-Box magazine, issue one (that, and the fact you can actually buy full sized burnable DVD's and their all rated at least 4.5)

Mine say 4.7GB.

Either way, that's the MAX size for the industry-standard single layer DVD. Not a SMALL game.

And naturally, I'm not including compression techniques, cause that depends soly on the technique used.

And doesn't really have any bearing on disk space arguments.

And not including Dual layering, simply cause I'm talking without any need of anything special.  Besides, I'm not sure really if any of the current systems can even read dual layered DVD's for game pruposes, anybody know?

As far as I know, all 3 can.

Even if the current gen can read layered DVD's, that makes GameCube 3 gig, and X-box/PS2 9 gigs. 

Though like I said, very few developers are filling the current 4 and a half gigs.

As far as making a DVD player that can't read CD's, Yeah, I'm sure that is possible.  But I have personally never seen one, other than the cube.  I'd really like to see you list others, that are full size (ie plays 5" discs) that won't play CD's (and I'm talking real CD's, since many of the consoles that I know of either wouldn't play CDR, CDRW, or both)

I didn't say they DID. Just that it can be done.

CD and DVD use diffrent wavelengths of laser.

You have to have the hardware to generate both wavelengths to read both disks.

While it's not really hard to add the second wavelength, it's not used for DVD at all.

And if you could please do me the favor of quoting the post you're replying to next time, it would help greatly.