IGNORED

Why is the Gamecube crap?

Why is the GameCube seen as a kid system?

I think one big reason is that it is the cheapest of the big3 consoles. 

Younger kids often don't have as much disposable income as late teens

or adults.  The GameCube is also very robust, in that if you have small

children, they probably won't be able to destroy it too easily.  I think that

of the 3 current conseole, the GameCube is most suitable for small

children, which makes some people conclude that it is only suitable for

small children.  Their loss.

--The Eidolon

886180[/snapback]

That's probably the same reason Nintendo opted with Cartridges instead of the much-preferred by developers CD's for the N64, so lil' kiddies wouldn't scratch up CD's.

Edited by Tele-Machus

LOL you guys take this too personally. :roll:

886306[/snapback]

Oops, I guess the reason I got a little too personal with this is: I'm a Nintendo Nerd deep down inside! THERE! I SAID IT!!!

lol

Steve :roll:

886925[/snapback]

Nothing wrong with that man. Game on! :cool:

Dude your multipost got the 100th post :x :x :P

Edited by Dones

Aswe mentioned earlier we've tossed around picking up a game cube. One of the other stopping points is I don't like RPG's, really really don't like them. I've tried most of them all from the later Castlevanias, Zelda to even Hamtaro and no thanks, not my "cup of tea".

We wouldn't have a lot of people for multi-player games since it's just the two of us and when working at full tilt, only one of us is usually home at a time. I'm also not overly big on Mario stuff since we have the older systems for that. I might get a game or two but they usually are also more expensive.

So, what else is there, as I am not very familiar with that system's library :?: 

We do have a PS2, and got rid of an XBox cause it kept freezing and erroring.

885608[/snapback]

Maybe because of the fact that you haven't played any good RPGs...BTW, those aren't even RPGs...they're sidescrolling and adventure at the most! :roll: If you own a PS2, then try Kingdom Hearts, XenoSaga, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 7-XI, etc. I'm sure those games will have you converted into an RPG lover in a heart-beat.

The later Castlevanias ARE RPGs.

Symphony of the Night and the GBA trio, anyways.

SotN is a damn nice one at that.

And gods... could you MAKE a worse list of good RPGs? ... Well, you could've included Legend of Dragoon...

Only one on that list I'd even consider for inclusion is FF9.

And that's over-ridden by other, better games that aren't tied down by a 20-year old paradigm.

Let's see... keeping it to PSx games... Tales of Destiny, Valkyrie Profile, the Lunar remakes*, Star Ocean 2, Parasite Eve**, and Grandia 2 would be my short list.

I'd add Symphony of the Night, but it's already been filed as no fun(sure it's easy as hell, but how can you NOT have fun with SotN?).

Trying to avoid strategy RPGs here, as they can eat time like a... really big time-eating... thing...

The list is weighted towards PS1 because I only got a PS2 recently and haven't had a chance to grab any of the RPGs I'm interested in(Grandia 2 makes the list due to my Dreamcast playthrough).

If I were to recommend a developer for loyalty, it'd be tri-Ace or Game Arts.

Footnotes:

*Actually I'd only include Eternal Blue, but that's due to things other than Silver Star Story's actual production quality. SSS is a fine RPG, it just sorta sucks as a remake of The Silver Star and prequel to Eternal Blue.

**Square DOES make my list, amazingly enough. When Square/SquareEnix grows a pair and tries something new, they can turn out some damn nice games. It just happens far too rarely.

I've had the Gamecube since it came out and is still one of my favorite's to play. I think it comes down to what games a person likes to play. I remember before the crash of 1984 back then there was the same thing meaning certain games only came out for certain systems. Some things never change. And remember, money changes everything.

The Gamecube might not have the best graphic's or the largest library but Nintendo sure does make FUN games! I agree that at times their games seem awfully kid oriented (would Animal Crossing be as addictively fun if it used humans instead of cute, cuddly animals???) but I still get lost in the just plain fun factor of Gamecube games. While I wish that there was a Doom 3 or Destroy All Humans or Halo on the Cube, I can still enjoy Mario Kart, Donkey Konga, Harvest Moon, Tales of Symphonia, Windwaker, Sunshine, Resident Evil's, and many other Cube games that I can't get on the other systems.

I don't regret for a moment buying a Gamecube.

Mendon

That's probably the same reason Nintendo opted with Cartridges instead of the much-preferred by developers CD's for the N64, so lil' kiddies wouldn't scratch up CD's.

No. Nintendo went with cartridges because CD technology was not capable of doing what they wanted their games to do. I can't imagine Super Mario 64 or (even worse) The Legend of Zelda with load times.

The cartridge-based nature of the N64 was one of the reasons I always recommended it to parents with kids, but that was not a factor in Nintendo's decision.

I wonder if anti-piracy was one of the reasons why Nintendo stuck with a

cart-based system for the N64. Sure, it's possible to pirate carts, but it's

a lot harder. The original CD-based systems seemed to have much more

piracy. Even when Nintendo took the plunge and went to the disc-based

Cube, they went to a non-standard format which seems to have greatly

reduced piracy on the Cube compared to the PS2 and XBox. (Of course,

the Cube is also less popular, which might make it less of a target for

pirates, so we can't make a perfect comparison.)

Nintendo has been pretty good about controlling load times on their systems.

The GC games seem to all load very quickly, and carts are worlds better than

early CD-based games in terms of load times. Nintendo has always seemed

to have a lot of polish in the play experience for their systems (well, except

for the NES cart slot) and I admire them for that.

I'm not a Nintendo fanatic, but they do different things and in a different way

than the other big console makers. I hope they make enough money on the

next-generation console to stay in the game and don't go the way of SEGA as

a software-only company. (Or more likely, GameBoy only for hardware if they

got out of the fixed console business.)

--The Eidolon

cart-based system for the N64.  Sure, it's possible to pirate carts, but it's

a lot harder. 

That's actually VERY likely.

Especially given the size of the ROMs in N64 carts, it made pirate carts very expensive.

Even when Nintendo took the plunge and went to the disc-based

Cube, they went to a non-standard format which seems to have greatly

reduced piracy on the Cube compared to the PS2 and XBox.  (Of course,

the Cube is also less popular, which might make it less of a target for

pirates, so we can't make a perfect comparison.)

On the other hand, the PC can READ PS2 and XBox disks.

'Cube disks lock it up(you'd think they'd have some error-handling routines in there so it could just go "WTF man? I can't read this shit!" instead of locking).

That tends to discourage piracy, since you can't just slap it in the drive, hit the burner software of your choice, and clone it.

I had a Gamecube but actually got rid of it about a year ago. The reason that I don't have one isn't because it was kiddy, but because of the lack of games.

I have a PS2, therefore the only reason I really had a Cube was Nintendo's games. I played Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Pikmin, SSBM to death, and then realized that the only other Cube exclusive titles I was keeping the system for was the next Zelda and the next Metroid. I didn't really like the first Metroid because I felt like having to scan everything for the best ending was ridiculous...so really I only had Zelda to look forward too.

I couldn't see holding on to the system for one game, so I sold it. I don't really regret it either. The only game I miss is Pikmin. I love Nintendo - but they really needed to give us one more biggie, like another Mario game, for me to hold onto the Cube. I still love my GBA SP and DS though.

Sigh...you guys ALL missed it. The real reason why the Gamecube isn't looked upon as highly as XBox and PS2 is that it DOES NOT PLAY DVDS!!! That's right, the PS2 and XBox play full sized DVDs, Nintendo uses though mini-DVDs and even then it some oddball format that a computer can't read. Which is probably why there isn't hardly any homebrews for GC around.

I had a Gamecube but actually got rid of it about a year ago.  The reason that I don't have one isn't because it was kiddy, but because of the lack of games.

I have a PS2, therefore the only reason I really had a Cube was Nintendo's games. 

Oddly, my favorite 'Cube game right now is Capcom's PN03.

Sigh...you guys ALL missed it.  The real reason why the Gamecube isn't looked upon as highly as XBox and PS2 is that it DOES NOT PLAY DVDS!!!  That's right, the PS2 and XBox play full sized DVDs, Nintendo uses though mini-DVDs and even then it some oddball format that a computer can't read. 

No, that's an excuse, not a reason. It was one of teh many nonsensical ways the 'Cube was bashed when it came out.

Conversation template:

"Man, the cube can't play DVDs, the PS2 can. If you buy a 'Cube you have to spend more money to watch movies. That's a ripoff. Nintendo sux."

"But I can buy a Gamecube, a set-top DVD player, and A GAME for the price of a PS2 by itself. And my bargin-bin set-top player that I've owned for over a year does a better job at movies than your shiny new PS2 anyways."

"STFU NOOB"

Which is probably why there isn't hardly any homebrews for GC around.

Quite likely.

a lot harder. 

Especially given the size of the ROMs in N64 carts, it made pirate carts very expensive.

From what I remember, Nintendo had backed out of a deal with Sony and had to put out carts as opposed to CDs to avoid a potential legal dispute.

To back up the DVD claim, when PS2 was launched, me and all my friends bought it because you were getting a game system that could play DVDs for about the same price as a regular DVD player. That was definitely the case when these systems launched. Nowadays, you can get a DVD player for $40.00 so it isn't as important now as it was back then.

From what I remember, Nintendo had backed out of a deal with Sony and had to put out carts as opposed to CDs to avoid a potential legal dispute.

887758[/snapback]

Wasn't the CD deal with Sony for an add-on to the SNES?

887761[/snapback]

I believe so. Nintendo and Sony were still in some sort of licensing agreement when N64 was launched that prevented them from being able to launch a system that used CD technology.

Well you can NOW...not when it came out however.

887734[/snapback]

You're right.

When it came out it was just 'Cube and DVD player(200$ 'Cube + 100$ DVD player = 300$ PS2).

You still got a better DVD player out of the deal.

Edited by JB

887734[/snapback]

You're right.

When it came out it was just 'Cube and DVD player(200$ 'Cube + 100$ DVD player = 300$ PS2).

887766[/snapback]

Except that back then a good DVD player ran about $250 by itself. ;-)

Yes some posts are basing their DVD opinions on the current availabilty. It was much of a novelty and more expensive back then.

a lot harder. 

887758[/snapback]

They weren't afraid of legal disputes. Nintendo just didn't want to get in bed with Sony.

I think pirating must have been an issue with going cart only on N64 just as today with the somewhat crippled mini-dvd. In my opinion going cart only wasn't as effective as it was with the mini dvd to deter piracy. Bung's Doctor V64 and many other copiers were quite available back then (years before n64 emulation broke out).

Edited by Dones

887734[/snapback]

You're right.

887766[/snapback]

Except that back then a good DVD player ran about $250 by itself. ;-)

887770[/snapback]

Yes some posts are basing their DVD opinions on the current availabilty. It was much of a novelty and more expensive back then.

Bullshit. I had a 100$ DVD player a year before the PS2's JAPANESE launch.

A 100$ DVD player that worked far better than the PS2 in said task.

DVD had ALREADY gone mainstream in America. The PS2's DVD playback was ONLY relevant in the Japanese market, where it was the cheapest player available.

I think pirating must have been an issue with going cart only on N64 just as today with the somewhat crippled mini-dvd. In my opinion going cart only wasn't as effective as it was with the mini dvd to deter piracy. Bung's Doctor V64 and many other copiers were quite available back then (years before n64 emulation broke out).

887788[/snapback]

But said copiers were far less prevalent than PS1 mod chips and PCs with CD-R drives.

I can't understand why some people have such a hard time seeing and/or accepting the fact that Gamecube was designed and intended for kids' use. The system and the controller (which is small for a reason) are colorful and odd-shaped, appealing to kids. The vast majority of Nintendo's first party games are geared for kids, easy-to-learn and containing mostly kid-friendly themes.

Does all this mean that it's impossible for adults to enjoy the Gamecube? Of course not. It means exactly what it says, that Gamecube was meant for children, plain and simple. No one goes to see Spy Kids at the movies and says, "Can comeone explain to me how this is a kids' movie?"

This issue is why a lot of people hate the Gamecube. Nintendo's games are (for the most part) innovative, addictive, and really fun to play. The only problem is that they have limited appeal, being meant for kids. If Miyamoto used some of his genius to make the next Grand Theft Auto, a lot of people would stop hating Nintendo.

Nintendo's ignorance to what sells is also a factor. They knew that online gaming was going to be big, but they chose not to take advantage of that with the Gamecube. Even after Xbox Live's success, they still insisted that "gamers do not want online games."

The discs used in the Gamecube angered a lot of people due to their size. The discs (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) are proprietary, allowing Nintendo to make more money off their production. Their size also prevents piracy, but there are different ways of doing that. So, in exchange for gamers not being able to play DVD's and CD's, Nintendo made some more money.

And, for the record, I do hate Nintendo, for all of the above reasons. :x

And a lot of what I said probably has already been said, so I aplogize in advance for that.

DVD had ALREADY gone mainstream in America. The PS2's DVD playback was ONLY relevant in the Japanese market, where it was the cheapest player available.

You couldn't be further from the truth. When the PS2 launched, DVDs were still a novelty in the US consumer market that many were reluctant to embrace at first out of fear that it would go the way of Laserdisc. I bought the PS2 AT LAUNCH because at the time there were NO DVD players that were selling for under the $200 mark and I wanted a game system. If you managed to find a $100 DVD player in October of 2000, I salute you. It must have been on clearance in a store going out of business. Even the video stores like Blockbuster were only STARTING to keep DVD sections at that time.

You couldn't be further from the truth. When the PS2 launched, DVDs were still a novelty in the US consumer market that many were reluctant to embrace at first out of fear that it would go the way of Laserdisc. I bought the PS2 AT LAUNCH because at the time there were NO DVD players that were selling for under the $200 mark and I wanted a game system. If you managed to find a $100 DVD player in October of 2000, I salute you. It must have been on clearance in a store going out of business. Even the video stores like Blockbuster were only STARTING to keep DVD sections at that time.

887828[/snapback]

I hate to differ, but I bought a cheap-o DVD player around the time of the launch of the PS2 as well. My Apex player was only about $100 - and I'm sure it was close to the PS2 launch, judging that two movies we first bought for it were the Rugrats Movie and Matrix which were both around 2000 releases on DVD.

I do think that the PS2 playing DVD's sold quite a few people on the system, especially parents, since the kids could say "but it plays DVDs too" and made it look like a great bargain.

DVD's weren't the dominant format that they are now, but they certainly weren't a novelty. I'm generally a late adaptor - so I'd say if I got a cheap player, others did as well...