IGNORED

Why is the Gamecube crap?

I see an 18-34 year old playing Halo, it's no big deal.

I see an 18-34 year old playing Disney Hide and Sneak, I worry.

Love 'em or hate 'em, Nintendo has a vault full of cash, and much like uncle scrooge Satoru Iwata swims through the money every morning.

People love to bash them for being too kiddy, but as long as they are making money by releasing Mario Party 18 and Luigi Pets a Cat, they will continue to be that kid orientated.

Perhaps Miyamoto has no interest in creating Anal Raping Demon Horde and that's fine. As long as they aren't stopping any other company from doing so, what's the problem.

Edited by jesusc

How about Kirby's Dream Land?

Funny story... that was bought for my little sister many years ago(specifically, they were clearing NES stuff out, and Super Bomberman was the hot new title, so 1993). At the time I was strongly of the opinion it was "too kiddy" for me(not that I was the bastion of maturity myself, physically or mentally. Hell, I don't think I'd quite started puberty yet).

It rapidly proved massively too hard for her. I had to "help" her at several points in the first level(her version of help consisted of me playing the game for her). And to this day, I'm the only one to play more than 2 levels of the game, much less beat it.

I think I ASKED for the NES version later on the basis of that experience.

885494[/snapback]

That's right, because Disney Hide and Sneak is an example of the typical type of game you'll find on the cube. :roll:

Aswe mentioned earlier we've tossed around picking up a game cube. One of the other stopping points is I don't like RPG's, really really don't like them. I've tried most of them all from the later Castlevanias, Zelda to even Hamtaro and no thanks, not my "cup of tea".

We wouldn't have a lot of people for multi-player games since it's just the two of us and when working at full tilt, only one of us is usually home at a time. I'm also not overly big on Mario stuff since we have the older systems for that. I might get a game or two but they usually are also more expensive.

So, what else is there, as I am not very familiar with that system's library :?:

We do have a PS2, and got rid of an XBox cause it kept freezing and erroring.

Aswe mentioned earlier we've tossed around picking up a game cube. One of the other stopping points is I don't like RPG's, really really don't like them. I've tried most of them all from the later Castlevanias, Zelda to even Hamtaro and no thanks, not my "cup of tea".

We wouldn't have a lot of people for multi-player games since it's just the two of us and when working at full tilt, only one of us is usually home at a time. I'm also not overly big on Mario stuff since we have the older systems for that. I might get a game or two but they usually are also more expensive.

So, what else is there, as I am not very familiar with that system's library :?: 

We do have a PS2, and got rid of an XBox cause it kept freezing and erroring.

885608[/snapback]

I'm on the verge of getting another Gamecube once all my credit clears from Estarland....and shamelessly, have a list together for what I want for the system. I was STUPID to get rid of the Gamecube in the first place, and upon the holy altar of Luigi, I won't do it again. Tales of Symphonia is a GREAT RPG, but as Chickybaby said, you have to be "into" them or else the game will have too much shelf life. How about Metroid Prime? Windwaker? Those two titles you might enjoy, with hours of playtime and lots of secrets to find..

Just a thought,

Steve

Let's see, there's the Resident Evil (s) that have been redone and RE4 has a better action mechanic I beleive.

The Pac-Man World2 / Pac man v/s two-pack(pac?) may be worth looking at. Pac Man World2 is a 3d platformer with all the non-joys that you typically get with games of that genre.

Metal Gear Solid : The Twin snakes. A prettier remake of MGS2

The rehashed Sonic Adventure 1 & 2

Ikaruga : Insane shooter that is now slowly getting expensive again.

Bomber Man : Generation // Jetters -- I like Bomberman, but these are quirky games just to warn you ahead of time.

The Game Boy player. If you like GBA games, this is a nice add-on for the cube.

Perhaps you should site some examples of games you like to play and we can look at similar titles that way.

I did just realize that there is a distinct lack of good puzzlers for the Cube and Xbox. The onlyone I can think of is Tetris Worlds. Super Bubble Pop on PSx failed to impress and I have low expectations on the xbox ver.

Hex.

[ "Enunciate!" --The Tick ]

Twin Snakes is a remake of the first metal gear solid, not the second.

As far as puzzlers, Puyo Pop fever is good if you havn't played a million other Puyo's. there are also a couple of Bust a Move games, and they are always good stuff. Haven't played them myself, but have heard zoocube and eggmania were "ok".

What ever happened to the nintendo puzzle collection? I thought it was supposed to be released over here, but haven't heard a thing about it since i don't know when.

I haven't run into any compatibility issues with the GB Player. I've run GBA/GBC/GB B&W games on mine with no problems. This is one of the few times I've adopted close to launch. I think I picked up the player the week of release. I've also noticed no problems with the japanese import titles I own as well.

Anyone else know of any compatability issues with the GBPlayer.

And yeah, jesusc is right, I'm not sure why I said Twin snakes is a remake of MGS2 :? ; it is a remake of Part 1 done on the playstation.

The other stuff that stands out to me is stuff that I haven't logged much time on or is an RPG. Skies of Arcadia and Evolution Worlds are both RPGs initally done on the Dreamcast.

Stuff that may warrant reserch:

The various Rouge Squadron titles

Extreme G racers (XGRA and Extreme G 3)

Metroid Prime 1 wasn't bad, but I find it hard to drive with a gamepad.

Batman : Dark tomorrow (I've not touched this, but it looks amusing)

Donkey Konga? I still need to break out my copy. :D

Hex.

[ Yes sir, I'm a slacker sir... ]

thanks for the nice quote ;)

Many people blasted the heck out of the XG racers. I personally love them, but I'm easily swayed to anything with futuristic bikes (going all the way back to Tron's lightcycles).

Batman Dark tomorow is so bad, that it should become a new adjective for describing something too horrible for words.

"hey dan, how was that rectal exam?"

"well george, it was bad..."

"hmm, that bad, huh?"

"Batman Dark Tomorow bad."

"geez, that's BAD!"

The only thing I find annoying with Donkey Konga is that they don't use the original songs. I hate covers, and I hate covers sung by bad karaoke singers even worse.

I don't think the GameCube is crap at all. Granted, there aren't a ton of great games for it, but then again, I think most of the games on the other consoles are crap too!

The price is definitely something in the 'Cube's favor, but for me the choice was simple:

1. Metroid

2. Zelda

Those two franchises are by far my favorites (practically the only things I like these days), and they're only on the 'Cube, so why bother with anything else? In fact, about half of my collection is 'Cube-only, or at least 'Cube-first (i.e. Alien Hominid, Godzilla DAMM), so it really was a no-brainer. Especially when you throw in Pikmin. :thumbsup:

What I really don't get is the wild popularity of the PS2. From my limited experience playing all 3 systems, it definitely seems to be the worst in terms of both controller design (I like the 'Cube controllers best, but maybe I'm weird) and general technical capabilities. Definitely the XBOX blows the 'Cube out of the water, graphics-wise, but I didn't see anything special on the PS2 the one or two times I've played it. Certainly I didn't see anything that impressed me as much as the first time I played Metroid Prime.

Yeah, you and me both. Metroid Prime was the "WOW" factor, and the first game I got for the system. The one point in the game was really wow....coming up from under the water, and seeing "something" fall in and float on the surface...that scared the crap outta me. Trying to figure out what was going on in the very first area was totally awesome...

Oh yeah...did I mention Tales of Symphonia is the BEST RPG for the 'cube? Yeah, I think I've said this before...great game....can't rant about this game enough.

Steve

I personally hate the Gamecube. I liked Nintendo's stuff right up until the 64, and that's when I stopped. Gamecube had some ok games on its launch but any of them are incredibly annoying or downright childish. Last time I checked, Super Smash Bros Melee is STILL on the Top 10, a sign that the system hasn't had too many great games out recently.

People get on my nerves when they harp about RPGs and that crap, and I don't mind them until they start shoving their bullcrap on ME. Then I get pissed off, and the Gamecube seems to be an RPG and kid game repository (and so does the PS2). Half the stuff out is either Zelda, Mario, or Pokemon. The other half is stuff out for other systems. Gamecube doesnt have enough original console-only games to spark my interest.

I think GameStop's eye-gouging trade in rate of $30.00 speaks too.

Edited by Radio F Software

I'd love to know where you live, as apparently there are tons of games released there that I haven't seen in upstate NY.

The cube library is anything but RPG heavy.

At my count, there might be fifteen or so. Maybe half of them are actually worth playing.

With a library of over 400 titles, that really isn't that much.

Okay jesusc, I'd like to live that down now. :| I was in err. and I am big enough to admit it -- sheesh.

It's a shame that the Wipeout series didn't get ported over to the cube. Wipeout Fusion is a most enjoyable futuristic racer (for us non-racer players) the only real problem I had with it was load time and my HD loader fixed that one toot-toot sweet. :D

I'll bear in mind your comments on that Batman title. I like to give those crummy games at least a fair shake once in a while. I tired to love Drake, until the computer got confused along with the camera. :P I tried to love Soul Fighter AKA the worst non-sports game released for the DC.

One that I did buy in advance and paid the extra $5 to have it shipped was Medabots Infinity. I really got into the cartoon series and actually have several Japanese exclusive kits when they were readily available. I've also picked up several of the Gameboy advance titles as well when shipping wasn't out of control. Infinity was a disappointment overall. I played through about a third of the game and got annoyed with the crappy camera control and that it was a bear to get a kill in many cases, or even line a shot up to do some real damage. If they had another month of development and redid the voice talent this may have been a tolerable title for me. I've actually finished both colors of the Medabot RPGs and only have to do a side mission on one of them -- which involves beating the crap out of a game pad. (mash A repeatedly to run a relay race. <grump!>

Also let's try to keep the heavy bashing to a minimum eh? I admit there's not much that's cube-exclusive that is of note by third-party publishers. If you don't like the Nintendo Franchises and don't care about the Gameboy -> TV then I guess the 'cube isn't for you. I think your'e missing out one some good stuff, but I'm not in charge of other people. <shrug>

Hex.

[ Modify. Break. Repair. Upgrade. Improve. Repeat. ]

it's not a jab at you. In fact it shows that you are one of the few enlightened ones around here. The sooner everyone admits I'm right, the sooner the world becomes a saner place.

As for Radio F, first you make a stupid comment about the cubes library, then you defend it with an even stupider comment.

your posts read like they could be someone's joke account.

...there's not much that's cube-exclusive that is of note by third-party publishers. If you don't like the Nintendo Franchises and don't care about the Gameboy -> TV then I guess the 'cube isn't for you.

I think you mentioned a key point there (and always a point of debate): if you have a nintendo console it will be to play Nintendo brand games. If you don't mind being starved of game choices (and limited to mostly kid-themed games) then you will have a blast.

Well, lets ignore the cartoon violence that a certain fat plumber inflicts upon his foes for a moment. I think the 'kid-themed' stigma is just a little silly. The critical questions should always be:

Am I having fun playing this?

Is it worth my time to pick up playing this again later?

Can I afford it?

Past that, it's aestetic. For example, I like the Mr. Driller series. I keep putting off importing the Drill Land title they did for the GC. I do have imports of the GBA titles and (hopefully) my dreamcast copy will resurface one day. I do hope I didn't accidentally sell it off as a duplicate. :( Now, let's look at some oddities about Mr. Driller here.

Mr. Driller is a guy in a pink and baby blue outfit who weilds a jackhammer. His rival wears white with a big star on it. o_0 If this doesn't say 'not masculine' I'm not sure what does. And to bring it down to the least common denominator, "Mr. Driller looks ghei."

However, In my happy hetero-world. I don't care terribly about this aspect. I break blocks, the cutesy music plays and I have a blast. I discovered this game early on for the Dreamcast and is one of the 'must have' titles for the system frankly.

Like I said though, I'm not in charge of other people -- I can barely steer my world. If they want to angst about how 'kiddy' a game is, fine. I have some brightly colored blocks to bust.

Hex.

[ "They fought a war over whether the hats were red or blue? I was actually planning on green." -- David Lister; Red Dwarf ]