IGNORED

5 Million Copies of ET

atarigamer

LOL, well i cant remember if this was said or not yet since this thread is so large and its been awhile, but in the Sept. 2001 Game Informer magazine, In the Classic GI section there is a small paragraph titled "This month in Gaming history" about E.T for the 2600

In short Atari obtained the worldwide rights to make a E.T game, Atari wanted the game out as soon as possible and cut the normal 6 month programming time in half. Although it did sell a Million copies, bogglingly dull game play and rancid word of mouth kept another 5 million carts in atari's waerhouses

And to add insult to injury MCA sued Atari for royalties due on the licensing of E.T. as well as 2 other movies Atari had plans to make games for before this debacle had begun

The last Starfighter and Dune

Well, there were 5 billion copies of the bestselling ET game, that had been impounded by the Pilsbury Dough boy, that were (after a spectacular car chase featuring Optimus Prime and that lass out of Dragons Lair) eventually buried underneath the foundations of what would later become the x-box.

Word has it that whosoever finds this treasure will be king of space and get one of those little stripe patches for Activisions Starmaster....only more so.

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:

Dune!!!??? Man I never heard that. Is there any info about that game!!???

Its the first I've heard of it myself, and i got the magazines from Good Deal Games cause they didnt have a game i really wanted and threw in 4 magazines for free, and the little article was in there

I would like to know if anyone else has any info on Dune myself, like if it was just a thought or if they actually started working on it when the ET thing blew up in there face

It might be that they didn't want to chance it...given the mixed reviews of the film at the time. The film itself had gone through three directors to get made (Alejandro Jodorowsky, Ridley Scott, and David Lynch). It's kinda sad that the Jodorowsky version never got made.

Effects-Dan O'Bannon

Design-Jean "Moebius" Giraud, H.R. Giger

Miniatures-Christopher Foss

Music-Pink Floyd

• 1 month later...

The ET thread!!!! Ohhhh. *sniff* Such fond memories. I thought it was lost for-ever!!! This is the happiest day of my life. Did they release the movie on DVD yet? And wouldnt it be cool if they started releasing movies and games on one dvd? Fer instance. You buy a Playstation 2 game based on ET. And the movie comes included on the other side of the disc.

• 1 month later...

My gut instinct tells me that someone had a bunch of ET carts they melted and buried for a week

"I found a gigantic lump of fused black plastic" that sounds like a big melted mass of carts. Didnt they just dump em and pour concrete on top of em? Whats with this big fused mass of plastic... Perhaps a cover up??? Maybe Atari didnt pour concrete on em and instead shot em with a flame thrower!!!??

Hmmmmmmmm.

quote:

Originally posted by Inky:

Actually this is 200, I think.

Do I win anything?

your 2nd post is 201

but for your prize you win a $30 PS1 ET game from your local funcoland or toys r us (while supplies last)

can you believe they still want $30 for that game good grief

I dont get the contest...You just make up some outrageous claim about video games... Even if its NOT true and put it on ebay??? I mean I saw once where DP put like 16 cat jizz covered carts on ebay and they sold...Also they put some quadrun shrinkwrap on and it sold!!! Now thats funny...and the person got exactly what they bid on...This, to me, is only outrageous in the fact that the seller is duping the person bidding on the auction. They ought to have a disclaimer at the bottom letting people know its a hoax. I dunno... Maybe its just cuz I woke up...But saying you found the ET landfill carts aint funny or outrageous...Its just dis-honest.