IGNORED

5 Million Copies of ET

atarigamer

It's pretty wacky, but mostly I'm leaving this message to be included in the longest thread in history. Regard the most annoying game ever made. Good lord the game is very similar to it;s final destination. ET falls into a hole searching for broken junk just like everyone here seems to be doing. Looking for broken junk in a hole to use later. Too bad we couldn't find a trail of reeces peices to lead us there. That would be entertaining.

I just got this email today from DP look at this link for further rules

they dont want you to break the rules of Ebay but they want you to actually sell what you are auctioning

i posted the entire e-mail sent to me in the web site comments forum, under the post suggestion for new board

http://pub10.ezboard.com/fretrogamingfrm26

Like most everyone else said, you don't just come across a landfill. Not many people walk in the desert and trip over an ET cartridge half out of the ground lol. If anyone has an extra sealed ET they'd like to part with, I'll pay shipping. I always wanted a sealed one of those. Ebay people can be crooks at times. Well not really, the bidders can just be uninformed.

A picture would have definitely helped the gag. Also, the ET cartridges were buried in a landfill, and then covered with concrete! And, has anyone ever been to an actual landfill? I have, and trust me, they don't just fill a hole in the ground, and then leave no trace that there was ever anything there. They continue dumping stuff there! You're never going to just "stumble" upon a landfill.

It's pretty comical though.

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian:

And, has anyone ever been to an actual landfill? I have, and trust me, they don't just fill a hole in the ground, and then leave no trace that there was ever anything there. They continue dumping stuff there! You're never going to just "stumble" upon a landfill.

The office complex I used to work in over at TiVo was built on landfill. You wouldn't really know except for the methane vents between our two buildings (and the fact that someone told me). And the fact that they were flattening and preparing other landfills in the immediate vicinity for more office parks the entire time I was there.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Mark Riley:

Like most everyone else said, you don't just come across a landfill. Not many people walk in the desert and trip over an ET cartridge half out of the ground lol. If anyone has an extra sealed ET they'd like to part with, I'll pay shipping. I always wanted a sealed one of those. Ebay people can be crooks at times. Well not really, the bidders can just be uninformed.

Well you do have to remember that that auction is a joke. And not all eBay folk are crooks. I sell my games for what I think they are worth. If people don't want to buy my stuff, they don't have to. And I try my best to be as informative as possible about what I'm selling. I've even e-mailed people before an auction has ended to tell them about what they are getting and about shipping and other stuff like that.

We're not all bad!

What I hate is buyers who don't understand how to use eBay or Paypal and screw it up so that I have to help them fix it. I'm there to buy and sell and I pay attention to how the system works. It's not very difficult to figure out but some people mess it up anyway and just make it frustrating sometimes. I've told my wife several times that I was going to quit eBay, but who am I kidding?

I'm an eBay junkie and I'll probably never give it up!

quote:

MoonlightKnight wrote:

Well you do have to remember that that auction is a joke.

Heres the problem I have with this auction. At no point in the description does the person let on it's a joke. In fact they offer a certificate of authenticity. Now if some dumb-ass reads it and gets in a bidding war with jahfish because he wants a cart from the land-fill. Where does that leave him!??? I mean some of the other auctions were funny. Quadrun shrinkwrap. HAHAHA thats funny. Anyone that wants to bid and win that is getting what they paid for. This persons auction clearly states ET cart from the landfill. I'd like to see them pull that one off. I mean the description is humorous but doesnt let on the to the fact that its a gag. Remember that ebay post a few weeks back where the guy was selling computer memory? (I have it at home and keep meaning to post it) It was funny as hell but in the end the bidder got what he paid for...Computer memory. See my point?

Just to show I wasn't a total prick I submitted one of my bologna prototypes:

moycons auction

I mean am I off base on this one? If I am tell me...I'll shut up...For a little while.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: moycon ]

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:

Heres the problem I have with this auction. At no point in the description does the person let on it's a joke. In fact they offer a certificate of authenticity. Now if some dumb-ass reads it and gets in a bidding war with jahfish because he wants a cart from the land-fill. Where does that leave him!??? I mean some of the other auctions were funny. Quadrun shrinkwrap. HAHAHA thats funny. Anyone that wants to bid and win that is getting what they paid for. This persons auction clearly states ET cart from the landfill. I'd like to see them pull that one off. I mean the description is humorous but doesnt let on the to the fact that its a gag. Remember that ebay post a few weeks back where the guy was selling computer memory? (I have it at home and keep meaning to post it) It was funny as hell but in the end the bidder got what he paid for...Computer memory. See my point?

I mean am I off base on this one? If I am tell me...I'll shut up...For a little while.

Oh, believe me, I never said I thought it was a funny joke. When I read it and so of the other entries into this contest I did laugh, because the wording is funny. But as an eBay seller myself, my second reaction was to alert eBay to these auctions and the group posting them. They are perverting the system with this "contest" and it makes us all look bad. I know I've said before that some sellers aren't always honest about what they are selling, but that doesn't mean you should purposely post items like this.

Of course if jahfish and malix really want to bid on that E.T. cart, I'll keep my mouth shut and let them....

I think that's WAY funnier than the contest itself.

quote:

Originally posted by Malix:

*malix shakes jahfish and wakes him up*

Your dreaming dude...that game is all mine.

hey, why do you raise the price of my ET cart?

quote:

Now if some dumb-ass reads it and gets in a bidding war with jahfish because he wants a cart from the land-fill. Where does that leave him!???

you say it, brother, you say it ....

quote:

It's up to 1.25 baby!

quote:

Originally posted by Inky:

It's up to 1.25 baby!

Oh my god someone bid on it??! I hope they read thru the auction carefully!! Haha. I wonder if anyone will bid on this one??

Moycons final entry

As far as doing one here. That would be cool. There hasn't been a contest since the Synth Cart. I would win tho!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Inky:

Maybe we should have an AtariAge gallery of fake Ebay auctions. But instead of putting them on Ebay and annoying people there, they would be fake ones housed here?

What say ye?

This would be OK, I just don't think that actually putting them up on eBay is a good idea. If there were a place here to put them I might even submit one!

She cancelled it cuz she didnt realize the two of you were in on the joke. I think she was afraid someone would win it expecting to get the cart.... She really should have not made it sound so convincing...I mean the description was funny and all...But in the end she did promise a cart from the landfill.