IGNORED

Just bought a Flashback 2! They're at Walmart!

I guess you haven't looked at my signature very carefully....  :ponder:

915438[/snapback]

I tried pushing the controller up once, down nine times, etc. and it didn't seem to do anything special. Is there some required cadence or anything?

915447[/snapback]

I honestly think there must be units with missing hidden games... I do understand how it should be done, however when I do it nothing happens at all...

I have tried over and over, different speeds, resetting the unit etc...

I will just have to wait until the Quadra Run fixed voice versions hit the store..

915557[/snapback]

I had the same problem until moving its TV TYPE switch from color to B/W, then once they're unlocked move it back so that you have color again!

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO

I guess you haven't looked at my signature very carefully....  :ponder:

915438[/snapback]

I tried pushing the controller up once, down nine times, etc. and it didn't seem to do anything special. Is there some required cadence or anything?

915447[/snapback]

Your halfway there, but missing two digits.

I have been busy starting a new job and mostly away from AtariAge for about a month. This is thread is huge to read through, but I remember seeing that the first Flashback 2s at Walmart had problems. Are there ones out now that are not part of this batch? Where would be best to get one (Target, online)? Thanks!

Wal-Mart didn't have any left on the shelfs, said they were out. And as I was wandering around I saw this cart with random stuff in it (Like they always do when they go around the store picking stuff up that's out of place to restock it), saw one in it and grabbed it. :)

Mine has the usual issues, the Atari Centipede instead of the GCC version, and no Quadrun sound. Impressed by the joysticks, video quality sucks though but I think its my tv.

So I was in the toy section of wal-mart the other day and right there on the shelf was the last FB2 they had. I tossed it in the cart and went on about my business. When I turned around to get the cat food some SOB snatched the FB2 right out of my cart, if I ever catch that guy....... :x

So I was in the toy section of wal-mart the other day and right there on the shelf was the last FB2 they had. I tossed it in the cart and went on about my business. When I turned around to get the cat food some SOB snatched the FB2 right out of my cart, if I ever catch that guy....... :x

915984[/snapback]

Wow, that's the first report of Wal-mart sniping of an FB2 I have heard! Must be be generating a bit of a buzz... you don't usually see cart-sniping until the popular toys start dissappearing from the shelves before christmas.

What I'm wondering is, with this August 23rd release date, are they getting some big new shipment? Seems like everyone is reporting just a few FB2s on the shelves, and they are getting sold out early... so on the actual walmart release date, no one will find any! But they'll probably be at target or something...

Wal-Mart didn't have any left on the shelfs, said they were out. And as I was wandering around I saw this cart with random stuff in it (Like they always do when they go around the store picking stuff up that's out of place to restock it), saw one in it and grabbed it. :)

Mine has the usual issues, the Atari Centipede instead of the GCC version, and no Quadrun sound. Impressed by the joysticks, video quality sucks though but I think its my tv.

915953[/snapback]

I got mine yesterday, and it had the Atari Millipede and no Quadrun sound. Video quality is great IMHO (but then again I played it on a 15 year old 20" TV). Joysticks are fantastic, and they fit into my Atari 7800 without a problem.

Edited by 128bytes

That was a (bad) joke in response to Atariboy's post about snatching one in walmart.

916123[/snapback]

Thanks for the translation. I figured he was just high. Didn't see the restocking cart bit, I suppose.

I still wonder if a bunch of these will magically appear on Walmart shelves tomorrow... or if they will be sold out before the release date.

managed to access the hidden games pretty consistently now, where I had trouble before.

My problem was I was moving the joystick too fast, as in TAPTAPTAPTAPTAP., where it works better if you allow a (very) short stop between taps TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP, as it were.

If anyone's still having problems, and have all the other details right, that could be your problem.

or not. :)

I have a large quantity of new Flashback 2's that I will be offering for sale shortly in the forum.  Just need to pick up some boxes so I can ship them easily and weigh them so I can calculate shipping.  Will post more information tonight.

..Al

916385[/snapback]

I just spent the last 2 hours playing with my Flashback 2. I got it directly from Curt in Dallas and it is from the same batch that Al will have for sale here shortly.

I love the thing and while I am NOT a hardcore Atari user I found that none of the complaints raised in this thread held true for me with this unit.

The sticks work fine on my 2600, no issues with using original sticks or paddles on the FB2, and definitely NO stiff or loose connections.

The games play perfectly and I noticed no unusual flickering and absolutely NO screen roll on any games. This is original Atari 2600 hardware that you all asked for so its a litte odd that many of you are complaining about the very things that were dysfunctional with the original hardware and games in the first place ;) If you're having wierd problems, its most likely your TV, or your memory of how those games were supposed to look in the first place.

I plan to buy several for holiday presents very soon and I suggest all of you do likewise.

again, the batch Al has is from the same 100 units Curt had sent to Dallas for the vgXpo [unless I missed something] and my 2 hour fun fest with my unit passed with flying colors!!

screw walmart, buy 'em from Al and show your support.

cheers

-Mark Wolfe

phillyclassic / vgxpo

It's an easy trick to get the hidden games. Just like people stated above. I read these posts and then the very first thing I tried worked. Atari was born in 1972. Good thing I still got some paddles! I hope there are still some other hidden games. I might try some other years too. but the 70's are taken, if you figure out how it works, you'll understand why.

The games play perfectly and I noticed no unusual flickering and absolutely NO screen roll on any games. This is original Atari 2600 hardware that you all asked for so its a litte odd that many of you are complaining about the very things that were dysfunctional with the original hardware and games in the first place ;)  If you're having wierd problems, its most likely your TV, or your memory of how those games were supposed to look in the first place.

920603[/snapback]

I doubt that it is just that I don't remember these games (since I have copies of the originals). I also doubt that the screen roll is the TV, since nearly all of us are having this problem. Everyone has mentioned the jumpy screen on Asteroids Deluxe. Maybe the ones Albert has have been revised...

The games play perfectly and I noticed no unusual flickering and absolutely NO screen roll on any games. This is original Atari 2600 hardware that you all asked for so its a litte odd that many of you are complaining about the very things that were dysfunctional with the original hardware and games in the first place ;)  If you're having wierd problems, its most likely your TV, or your memory of how those games were supposed to look in the first place.

920603[/snapback]

I doubt that it is just that I don't remember these games (since I have copies of the originals). I also doubt that the screen roll is the TV, since nearly all of us are having this problem. Everyone has mentioned the jumpy screen on Asteroids Deluxe. Maybe the ones Albert has have been revised...

920751[/snapback]

That makes me wonder too. I wonder if that those Flashbacks would be more compatible with carts? :ponder:

Let me be sure I have this straight:

I think I understand how to unlock the hidden bonus games, based on posts in this thread plus somebody's sig. (I don't have an FB2 yet.)

You need to use a joystick controller to unlock the paddle games??? How inconvenient is that? Especially if you're burned out on one paddle game and want to play the other one.

Also, with Pong, at what point do you press the paddle button to enable playing with paddles? Paddle buttons are the same as joystick left/right, so is it easy to accidentally select the paddle option with joysticks plugged in and get into an unplayable state, or was the programmer smart enough to check for joy up/down when in paddle mode and revert to joy mode if detected?

You need to use a joystick controller to unlock the paddle games??? How inconvenient is that? Especially if you're burned out on one paddle game and want to play the other one.

You got it right. It is inconvenient, but they are hidden games so I guess that inherently means they're inconvenient to play. :)

Also, with Pong, at what point do you press the paddle button to enable playing with paddles? Paddle buttons are the same as joystick left/right, so is it easy to accidentally select the paddle option with joysticks plugged in and get into an unplayable state, or was the programmer smart enough to check for joy up/down when in paddle mode and revert to joy mode if detected?

925928[/snapback]

Yes - you press the paddle button to start. Haven't tried to start a game moving left or right with the joystick yet - will do when I get home. This is also inconvenient as the SELECT button doesn't work during a game, so I had used the joystick to select PONG, switched to paddle to start the game, but then realized I hadn't selected 2 player, so I had to restart the system, plug the joystick back in , etc. One solution would of been to allow joystick 2 to navigate the menu as well (or use the SELECT and RESET buttons to navigate the menu, as ZylonBane had suggested). Maybe in the next version... :)

Edited by johnnywc

FB2s recently arrived at one of the 3 or four local Slave Labor Marts.

I don't ever buy anything from WM, but I couldn't resist picking an FB2 up.

Everything about it from the packaging to the CX40 clones shows the care that went into making them. The sticks are a bit different, but feel "right" Even my girlfriend who only ever liked the arcade Millipede as far as video games go, was impressed by it and sat down to play with it for a bit. That alone is all the evidence I needed to see to prove just how much retro nostalgia the unit can evoke.

It's a class act all around. Hats off to Curt and anyone else involved in the FB2 design/manufacture.

BTW mine is missing the Quadrun voice and has Atari millipede. I really could care less about the missing voice, it's just a gimmick in Quadrun (granted a neat gimmick). And this unit will never be hacked to pieces for a project.

Now if it had Berzerk VE and was missing voice, well then there'd be hell to pay! :P

Now where's that FB3? :)