IGNORED

Just bought a Flashback 2! They're at Walmart!

Can someone post a complete game listing? Or point me to where one is? Thanks!

905317[/snapback]

8bitsclassics Flashback 2 Review

Games are:

Adventure Territory

* Adventure

* Adventure II

* Haunted House

* Return to Haunted House

* Secret Quest

* Wizard

Arcade Favorites

* Arcade Asteroids

* Arcade Pong

* Asteroids Deluxe

* Centipede

* Lunar lander

* Millipede

* Missile Command

* Space Duel

* Battlezone

Skill and Action Zone

* 3D Tic Tac Toe

* Aquaventure

* Atari Climber

* Combat

* Combat 2

* Dodge'm

* Fatal Run

* Frog Pond

* Hang Man

* Human Cannonball

* Maze Craze

* Off the Wall

* Outlaw

* Pitfall!

* Radar Lock

* River Raid

* Save Mary

* Video Checkers

* Video Chess

Space Station

* Caverns of Mars

* Quadron

* Saboteur

* Space War

* Yar's Return

* Yar's Revenge

Has anyone had video problems (other than flicker which is very bad on yars return)? I double checked my tv connection, but have the entire screen scramble

on occasion while I'm playing. :? Seems it did it several times on the opening screen of quadron as well.

905140[/snapback]

Have you completed ADV2 yet?

Anyone trying to find the hidden games yet :-)

Curt

905210[/snapback]

Well....

I've brought the Chalice to the Golden Castle, along with the flashing screen and sounds, but haven't seen any hidden games yet.....

....off to explore some more....

:cool:

A big Thanks to Curt, and everyone else responsible for the Flashback 2!

Who the heck complains about flicker in a 2600 game. Flicker is part of the territory! :D

905286[/snapback]

Sure when it's needed. All the sprites in CoM should be vertically separated so there should be no need for flicker. I am making a blind assmuption here because I haven't seen or played the game on a FB2.

Look at River Raid.  It is essential "Caverns of Mars", bt scrolling in the opposite direction.  Very little (if any) flicker to be found.  Now if activision could accomplish that, why did Caverns of Mars have to flicker?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's because the 2600 CoM programmer sucks.

Has anyone had video problems (other than flicker which is very bad on yars return)?  I double checked my tv connection, but have the entire screen scramble

on occasion while I'm playing.  :?  Seems it did it several times on the opening screen of quadron as well.

905343[/snapback]

I find that happens on Space Duel and I believe Asteroids Deluxe, as well. Just like Yar's Return, the screen gets jumpy and is hard to play the game. I was excited about Yar's Return, but then when I played it, with the jumpy screen double images, I was disappointed. I would've rather they left that game off and put another game from the library or license another Activision game (Megamania?). I like the way Space Duel looks, but it's hard to tell what's going on at times. I did try Caverns of Mars again, and found that I am beginning to like it alot, but I'm just confused about the items with the "F" on it. I assumed it was fuel, but when I try to pick them up (ala River Raid), I get killed, so now I just shoot them.

I did try Caverns of Mars again, and found that I am beginning to like it alot, but I'm just confused about the items with the "F" on it.  I assumed it was fuel, but when I try to pick them up (ala River Raid), I get killed, so now I just shoot them.

905669[/snapback]

That's exactly what you're supposed to do -- shoot them.

Edited by Inky

Not in pocatello idaho yet. But there is only one walmart in pocatello. Pocatello is 20 miles from me. The next walmart is in blackfoot. That is 40 miles. Idaho falls is the next at 60 miles. If I can in the oppisite direction. I'll find a store in burly 40 miles, then 100 miles to twin falls from where I'm at. So I'll just have to wait. They might show up soon. Since the interstate that runs through pocatello is a main link through this area. I beleive the stuff is comming out of NV walmart distribution center via truck. But, I'm also not keeping my hopes up. Now if I was up in nampa idaho. There was 2 stores 3 miles apart. ANother in meridian aka 8 miles and then 3 or 4 in boise at 12 miles depending on store location. That is just crazy if you ask me. But then again people complain about driving to the caldwell walmart. I lived between then at 1.5 miles to each. So OMG 3 miles to drive from walmart to another and people complain about it.

later,

Josh

Why exactly do so many people want to mod them? It looks like the cart port mod requires more effort than a simple AV mod to an original 2600. Original 2600s can be had for less than $30 and the end result I would assume is about the same more or less an AV Atari right? I don't understand all the excitement.

I see all the new games & realize some want for that, and 2600 on a chip. I'm sure it will make for a good portable unit size. But just to add a cart port, I think it would be easier modding an existing Atari.

Why exactly do so many people want to mod them? It looks like the cart port mod requires more effort than a simple AV mod to an original 2600. Original 2600s can be had for less than $30 and the end result I would assume is about the same more or less an AV Atari right?  I don't understand all the excitement.

I see all the new games & realize some want for that, and 2600 on a chip. I'm sure it will make for a good portable unit size. But just to add a cart port, I think it would be easier modding an existing Atari.

906089[/snapback]

One word.

Portable.

:cool:

Also checked with the factory, the chip manf. ran a small initial batch of an earlier ver. of the chip that was missing a sound channel element, the error was picked up and the correct gds was supplied to the chip manf and everything else has the corrected audio.    So what you may see is some of the very first units to hit the shelves first may have a chance of containing the earlier rev.  In one sense you can say, well I'll wait, but if its something that isn't going to bother you overall, think of it from a collectors standpoint that a small handful of units are unique.

What a crock! Are we living in an age where unique = defective? "Hey, that car you just bought that rolls over/engine catches fire/brakes fail? It isn't defective, it's unique! So we'll charge you another $10000." I can't believe you had the stones to suggest that defective translates into collectible. :x

Anyhow, I went to the local Super Wal-Mart (central Virginia today) and saw 4 Flashback 2.0 systems in the electronic toys section, but up on the top shelf, with no sticker on any of the shelving units. I got an employee to get all 4 down, then I went over to the electronics section, opened all 4 up, hooked each one to a tv, and saw the defects people had mentioned. A manager asked what I was doing, so I explained to him the defective run and how I won't buy any of this batch, waiting until the correctly functioning versions are available.

Also checked with the factory, the chip manf. ran a small initial batch of an earlier ver. of the chip that was missing a sound channel element, the error was picked up and the correct gds was supplied to the chip manf and everything else has the corrected audio.    So what you may see is some of the very first units to hit the shelves first may have a chance of containing the earlier rev.   In one sense you can say, well I'll wait, but if its something that isn't going to bother you overall, think of it from a collectors standpoint that a small handful of units are unique.

What a crock! Are we living in an age where unique = defective? "Hey, that car you just bought that rolls over/engine catches fire/brakes fail? It isn't defective, it's unique! So we'll charge you another $10000." I can't believe you had the stones to suggest that defective translates into collectible. :x

Anyhow, I went to the local Super Wal-Mart (central Virginia today) and saw 4 Flashback 2.0 systems in the electronic toys section, but up on the top shelf, with no sticker on any of the shelving units. I got an employee to get all 4 down, then I went over to the electronics section, opened all 4 up, hooked each one to a tv, and saw the defects people had mentioned. A manager asked what I was doing, so I explained to him the defective run and how I won't buy any of this batch, waiting until the correctly functioning versions are available.

906240[/snapback]

Hi Zwackery,

Its your prerogative to buy or not buy from the inital batch of course, but this small batch is hardly "defective" as to spoil the overall enjoyment of the Flashback, and you can't compare the price of a car with a $30 piece of electronics... especially as this "defect" isn't going to kill you :)

I'm surprised your allowed open 4 new units in the store, rant to a manager and walk out! What a crock! ;)

Karl

What a crock!  Are we living in an age where unique = defective?

Welcome to planet Earth.

jenn1297.jpg

Now take a chill pill, Francis.

906340[/snapback]

Dear Dipwad,

Thanks so much for bringing up an example from the 20th century. And also proving that comprehending sarcasm is indeed dead in the average Ahmurrican idiot.

I suppose you could have brought up the recent flap about the 2004 Wisconsin State Quarter with the "extra" leaf frond, but that still remains dubious as to its status as an error.

As for being able to do what I did in Wal-Mart, ever since they abandoned their "we buy American" policy in favor of major $$$$$, what the hell do they care? Some schmuck is going to buy them and not care about errors, they'll make their bucks, and so caveat emptor.

Oh well, Ahmurrican pride went out the door long ago, and so I'd like to be the first to hail our new Chinese masters - long may we enjoy their defective product runs.

BTW, I'm actually going to buy several Flashback 2.0 systems, including a few to send to some friends living overseas, so I'll just wait until I can get ones that aren't defective.

What a crock!  Are we living in an age where unique = defective?

Welcome to planet Earth.

jenn1297.jpg

Now take a chill pill, Francis.

906340[/snapback]

Thanks, this reminds me of when they used that stamp in Brewster's Millions, I just saw it again for the first time on DVD Saturday night!

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

Edited by TrekkiELO

I picked one of these up over the weekend. It does have the sound defect, so I will be returning it in a month or so for one of the corrected models. That said, it is a really cool piece of hardware. MUCH better than the original FB.

I like the new design for the joysticks, the button has better click than the older legacy ones, and the stick itself is less stiff (it has more play in it).

Originally I was really excited about the versions of Asteroids Deluxe and Space Duel. I was dissapointed in Asteroids Deluxe in that the screen is jumpy, acting like it is about to roll every few seconds. Still, it is fun, and quite a bit harder than the original Asteroids.

Space Duel is really cool. It has less of the screen rolling issues. I dis notice that the flicker is INSANE when there are alot of objects on the screen. That said, the graphics are pretty cool, especially the multicolored cubes.

Adventure II is cool. More like and update of the origninal. Still alot of fun.

I already own Return to Haunted House (Haunted Adventure) on cart. The FB2 is a great way to own this excellent hack. I still love playing it.

I read above somewhere that Lunar Lander was dissapointing...with alot of flicker...I actually think it is a pretty good version. Pretty difficult, although I was never very good at the arcade version so I probably shouldn't be to surprised.

Arcade pong is pretty fun. The AI is actually pretty good.

I was a little dissapointed with Yars Return. the screen is REALLY crowded. If you could wrap around the screen I think it would be much better, but I didn't write the game...so meh.

All in all a great product. I will be happier with a unit without the sound defect here in a month or 2. Definatly a step in the right direction for the modern Atari. It is refreshing to see that they actually care about what thier classic fans want. It's gonna be cool to see what Atari comes up with next! :)