IGNORED

Just bought a Flashback 2! They're at Walmart!

Just noticed a MAJOR screen roll on Millipede.  Made me want to read for the vertical hold on the back of the TV.  (Oh wait... my TV doesn't have a V-Hold!  really was a flashback, eh?)

Anybody else notice this?  By the way,  I dont know when one is supposed to hear "Quadrun,Quadrun,Quadrun...," but Ive played it now and have not heard it. 

see ya

Buck

909654[/snapback]

The first shipment of units are errored, a sound address was not connected. Thus, the missing talking of Quadrun.

I have to say the most disappointing thing is that most of the homebrew/hack games jump. Arcade Asteroids, Yars' Return, Asteroids Deluxe (I was really looking forward to this...), and others I found but I forgot as I am at work.

Has anyone found any easter eggs yet?

Picked one up at an Orlando Wal-Mart...last one on the shelf. Had a couple of people checking out the Flashback 2 box while walking up to the counter. The cashier was an older woman who I never would have guessed would know one video game from another. She grinned and told me to "Enjoy my Atari" as I picked up the FB2.

I am quite impressed with this little machine! Sure the joysticks don't feel exactly like the originals...but I like their feel better than the originals. And okay, I question why some of the games were included. ( Yar's Return and Space Duel come to mind.....epileptic fits MUCH?) But dang, the video quality is great! I can't wait to cartridge mod this bad boy and play my favs, Berzerk, Seaquest, and others on it. Of course, not being the Solder Demigod that some on here are, I'll wait to see a more detailed 'cartridgization' guide....hopefully more aimed at solder noobs like me.

If they actually advertise the FB2 AT ALL on television, they are probably going to sell a bazillion of these things. Nice job Curt!

I /still/ cant seem to find one, well at least not anywhere I'm looking...

survey:

Toy dept or electronics?

910412[/snapback]

Toy dept. It looks like Walmart is shuffling things around (seen this at a few walmarts), so look for the area they are re-organizing with the all-in-one games. I found it right next to the FB1.

Re: Screen Rolling / VSYNC

I haven't seen any screen rolling in Arcade Asteriods or Millipede, as others have mentioned.. there is a little jumpiness in Asteriods Deluxe, and alot in Yar's Return. Nothing else really noticable... Castles of Mars flickers alot, but it doesn't detract much from the game play (for me, anyway).

I also find the controllers quite nice. I figured they would feel cheap, but they actually feel at least as solid as my orignal CX40s, maybe a bit better.

I just bought one yesterday at the Super Walmart in Greensburg, PA. I've checked there several times since this thread was started with no luck, but yesterday was the day. They only had two sitting on the shelf, so I picked one up. I had a $10 gift card I'd been saving, so I only paid $21 and change (sales tax included). My son (who's 9) and I played that thing for hours last night. He actually beat Adventure on the 3rd level! Any way, I was really impressed with the quality of the sticks and the machine itself. I think mine doesn't have the voice on Quadrun, but that's fine. I noticed some god awful flicker on Caverns of Mars. I didn't play Millipede so I don't know about the v-hold issue. I just have to say that for $20 it was worth it even with the sound issue and the flicker. And yes, I got into a conversation with the check out lady about her Atari memories.

Here's a question: is there a way to get out of a game and go back to the main menu without turning the console off and on again?

Edited by heavy-sixer

I got it but can anyone tell me where in the game the voice of quadrun is so I can figure out if I have a bad one? I'm pretty sure I do, but I've never played quadrun.

Apparently walmart moves everything around about 3 times a year. The FB2 was sitting way, way, way up on the top shelf. Usually I'm tall enough to reach up there on my own but this time I could not quite reach it. So I had someone help me.

Funny thing, there was a young couple in front of me that actually recognized the game. The guy said something about a character jumping over pits (so I showed the picture of pitfall) then the girl went on about something called a C64 that came out before the atari. :lol:

I was just actually surprised they knew what it was. Even the cashier did a double take then said "oh, that must be a remake" cause the originals are worth something. Said she was keeping her old nintendo system cause she knew that though people dont care about it now, they will several years from now.

FWIW the original flashback is selling for $15.

Edited by Shannon

I got it but can anyone tell me where in the game the voice of quadrun is so I can figure out if I have a bad one?  I'm pretty sure I do, but I've never played quadrun.

Apparently walmart moves everything around about 3 times a year.  The FB2 was sitting way, way, way up on the top shelf.  Usually I'm tall enough to reach up there on my own but this time I could not quite reach it.  So I had someone help me.

Funny thing, there was a young couple in front of me that actually recognized the game.  The guy said something about a character jumping over pits (so I showed the picture of pitfall) then the girl went on about something called a C64 that came out before the atari.  :lol:

I was just actually surprised they knew what it was.  Even the cashier did a double take then said "oh, that must be a remake" cause the originals are worth something.  Said she was keeping her old nintendo system cause she knew that though people dont care about it now, they will several years from now.

FWIW the original flashback is selling for $15.

910859[/snapback]

You wouldn't happen to be in Ontario would you?

I just got a Flashback 2 tonight. I had no idea they were even available yet. I don't really check out the Dedicated forum very much.

The controllers are great. The console itself similarly looks fantastic. The commercial games are generally fine. Although there are graphical glitches here and there.

Adventure II is great. Asteroids Arcade is the most playable hack. Asteroids Deluxe jumps a little. Space Duel and Yars Return are just flat out unplayable. Lunar Lander is so flickery that it hurts my eyes to look at it. This is not meant to be offensive to those people who have made these hacks. But their implementation of this console leaves something to be desired.

Quadrun doesn't talk on mine. :(

Anyway, I think it's OK. I think an opportunity was missed by not including an "expansion port." I think the time is fast approaching where a very inexpensive console ($30 or less) could be successful with cheap $10 multi-game packs. Maybe the 2600 hardware isn't the hardware for that kind of project. A NES, 7800, or 5200 on a chip would probably be better choices, but this is a step in that direction.

I don't know how to play Save Mary. I can figure out dropping blocks for Mary to climb up, but what do I do with the bonus items that appear on the shore? I try to drop them to Mary, but they just disappear. There's no instructions on AtariAge's page for it. Anyone have some suggestions?

I don't know how to play Save Mary. I can figure out dropping blocks for Mary to climb up, but what do I do with the bonus items that appear on the shore? I try to drop them to Mary, but they just disappear. There's no instructions on AtariAge's page for it. Anyone have some suggestions?

911240[/snapback]

Haha, I have the same question... Manual was of little help..

You wouldn't happen to be in Ontario would you?

910887[/snapback]

Nope? Whydya ask?

I saw a few systems that said on the label that you can "unlock" certain games with some type of card. So it does look like some manufacturers are leaning in this direction.

911240[/snapback]

911290[/snapback]

From Tempest's prototype web site, he describes the gameplay of Save Mary:

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/s...ry/savemary.htm

911240[/snapback]

911290[/snapback]

From Tempest's prototype web site, he describes the gameplay of Save Mary:

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/s...ry/savemary.htm

911369[/snapback]

AAaahhh.... Thank you!

Its actually a very fun game I must say.. Now I am hopeful that the power-ups will get me to the second level :)

I'm itching to get one, but I'm going to wait until I get one with the audio fix. There's a Wal*Mart not a mile from my house, but I have an old 2600 (A/V modded) so that keeps me from dropping $26 on something I know I'm going to be upset about, so I can wait a week.

Mike