IGNORED

Just bought a Flashback 2! They're at Walmart!

Anyhow, I went to the local Super Wal-Mart (central Virginia today) and saw 4 Flashback 2.0 systems in the electronic toys section, but up on the top shelf, with no sticker on any  of the shelving units.

Yep. FB2 is not set into Walmarts "modular" yet, so look on the very top shelf (called a riser), or ask someone for help. They may even have them available in the backroom.

Locally, Flashback 1 is being moved to the clearance isle, so FB2 can be placed in it's spot (FB1 is now $15)

So what's the deal with some games having an "unstable" screen that seems on the verge of rolling? A few people have reported this so far, so I'm wondering if it's a pervasive problem on particular games, if there is another hardare defect with these early units, etc.

Flicker on a 2600 game I can understand, but the screen should never roll or even be jumpy. What's the scoop?

Anyhow, I went to the local Super Wal-Mart (central Virginia today) and saw 4 Flashback 2.0 systems in the electronic toys section, but up on the top shelf, with no sticker on any  of the shelving units.

Yep. FB2 is not set into Walmarts "modular" yet, so look on the very top shelf (called a riser), or ask someone for help. They may even have them available in the backroom.

Locally, Flashback 1 is being moved to the clearance isle, so FB2 can be placed in it's spot (FB1 is now $15)

906814[/snapback]

Speaking of that I saw an FB1 at a WalMart today on clearance for only $39.98. Not always low prices on that one, especially since down the street at Target they had several on clearance for about $16. I'll keep checking back at WalMart though in anticipation...

So what's the deal with some games having an "unstable" screen that seems on the verge of rolling? A few people have reported this so far, so I'm wondering if it's a pervasive problem on particular games, if there is another hardare defect with these early units, etc.

Flicker on a 2600 game I can understand, but the screen should never roll or even be jumpy. What's the scoop?

907009[/snapback]

The screen can roll if the program isn't timed correctly. Since the hacks are the ones with the problem, I would imagine it has something to do with the hacked display kernel...I'm no 2600 programmer though, maybe Nukey or some of the other hackers can provide some insight on the screen roll issue.

Speaking of that I saw an FB1 at a WalMart today on clearance for only $39.98. Not always low prices on that one, especially since down the street at Target they had several on clearance for about $16. I'll keep checking back at WalMart though in anticipation...

Did you try scanning it to see the actual price? That happened at one of the local Walmart's by me. When I scanned it, it came up $15. Went to the store manager who verified it, thanked me, and promptly went to change the tags.

The screen can roll if the program isn't timed correctly. Since the hacks are the ones with the problem, I would imagine it has something to do with the hacked display kernel...I'm no 2600 programmer though, maybe Nukey or some of the other hackers can provide some insight on the screen roll issue.

907017[/snapback]

Sure, I can understand that some cart hacks available on the net might have that problem. But I'd hope that a mass-produced unit with built-in games would not... guess I'll find out for myself in a couple weeks. ;)

Why exactly do so many people want to mod them? It looks like the cart port mod requires more effort than a simple AV mod to an original 2600. Original 2600s can be had for less than $30 and the end result I would assume is about the same more or less an AV Atari right?  I don't understand all the excitement.

I see all the new games & realize some want for that, and 2600 on a chip. I'm sure it will make for a good portable unit size. But just to add a cart port, I think it would be easier modding an existing Atari.

906089[/snapback]

I was beginning to think the same thing...

Why exactly do so many people want to mod them? It looks like the cart port mod requires more effort than a simple AV mod to an original 2600. Original 2600s can be had for less than $30 and the end result I would assume is about the same more or less an AV Atari right?  I don't understand all the excitement.

I see all the new games & realize some want for that, and 2600 on a chip. I'm sure it will make for a good portable unit size. But just to add a cart port, I think it would be easier modding an existing Atari.

906089[/snapback]

I was beginning to think the same thing...

907585[/snapback]

Because I can :D

Regarding the screen roll problem:

I bought a second FB2 to ship to keilbaca. He wanted me to test it to see whether or not it had the sound bug problem (which it did, just like mine). I also fired up Asteroids Deluxe and noticed the same screen roll issue as my unit, so either it's my tv (I tested mine on 2 of my tvs, with the same result), or the timing of the hack is off a little, causing the screen to try and roll.

906089[/snapback]

I did a cheap and easy AV hack on my old four-switch 2600. It's pretty convenient having the 2600 display PIP on my monitor while I test code via Supercharger. So composite out is not the reason I'm looking forward to modding the FB2.

I'm tinkering with Alumilite casting right now on a tangentially retrogaming-related project, but ultimately, yes, I'm hoping to make a portable 2600 with it and the business end of the FB2 motherboard. :)

The other question is what to do with the other end of the FB2...it would be spiffy if there were control lines you could use to select which ROM to access from the menu/ROM chip. Then it might even be possible to make an FB2 cartridge with DIP switches (lo-fi) or a new, 2600-based menu with some kind of logic to request the right ROM (way out of my league)...of course the easier thing would be to "fold" the board by sawing it in half to make it fit the portable and then to re-solder all the connections.

Edited by Jacob Rose

Regarding the screen roll problem:

I also fired up Asteroids Deluxe and noticed the same screen roll issue as my unit, so either it's my tv (I tested mine on 2 of my tvs, with the same result), or the timing of the hack is off a little, causing the screen to try and roll.

908245[/snapback]

I just bought mine Monday from Walmart in MN. (Apple Valley south of the the Twin Cities to be precise) This little guy is pretty cool. I also noticed that the screen is a little jumpy in Asteroids Deluxe. I havent checked Quadrun yet. Its probably got the sound issue, but thats OK. I'll buy another one later. Gotta keep sales of these things up to encourage Atari-grammes to keep up projects of this type! Thanks to all involved around here on getting this project right. Obviously especially Curt, but I am sure there are more from these forums that had their hands in it.

later

Buck

Well.. at least the Walmart I went to here in Lynwood, Wa.  :P

Yeah so I was strolling around, picking up some cleaning supplies and some rubbers and decided to stroll over to the toy section and lo and behold, the Flashback 2! :D They were 30 bucks, so I picked up one. I figure I'll pick up another or two when they start getting clearanced in a couple of months or next year or whenever. I haven't plugged it in yet and probably won't until maybe a free moment next weekend. But thought I'd mention they are indeed out :)

902210[/snapback]

I ordered one of the first 30,000 units on QVC, but when I heard on the AA forums that the FB2 was already in stores, I cancelled my QVC order, bought a $19.95 Linspire CNR Basic subscription with the savings, then I went to Wal-Mart today and low and behold they had two FB2 units. I passed on the first one as its cardboard box had a minor ding on the front lower right corner, and I checked the 2nd box and it looked perfect. I got the 2nd one. I spent almost two hours trying out the games. Only new game I didn't care for was Lunar Lander. The new-style CX-40 controllers felt a little awkward at first but eventually felt just like the real thing (even though the controller stalk is a solid piece of plastic instead of the original's combination of internal plastic stick and rubber exterior). I think I'll leave this one unmodded and get another later on to have modded (I hope AtariAge starts a FB2 cartridge mod service later on, and if somebody decides to have it made cart-only [no switch to switch between carts and built-in games] and they send a cart port with the FB2, they should be able to get a minor discount).

About the joysticks. I do like them. However, the stalk part came unglued from the screw on one of mine. The one thing I do feel like though is that I'm gonna break these things. We are a forcefull joystick family and the old CX40s "gave" when you moved the sticks.. these 40Bs don't.

Having said that.. I'll probably buy a few more units just for the sticks to keep a supply handy. :)

Edited by kheller2

About the joysticks.  I do like them.  However, the stalk part came unglued from the screw on one of mine.  The one thing I do feel like though is that I'm gonna break these things.  We are a forcefull joystick family and the old CX40s "gave" when you moved the sticks.. these 40Bs don't.

Having said that.. I'll probably buy a few more units just for the sticks to keep a supply handy.  :)

908740[/snapback]

Hi Karl...

They aren't glued, they are just tightened into the screw line within the mechanical base, so give it a solid turn and its in there good and snug, you can really beat down on these hard, they wont break unless your planning to run them over with your car ;-)

Curt

For anyone who knows where the chippewa Wal-Mart is in beaver county PA, you can hurry as they only have 2 left. I just bought one. They are saying it's the only shipment of them for a while. The official release date is the 23rd, but select wal-marts across the country are getting early shipments of maybe 3 or 4 systems. Next shipment will be at all wal-marts on the 23rd, not to mention other stores carrying plug n play.

About the joysticks.  I do like them.  However, the stalk part came unglued from the screw on one of mine.  The one thing I do feel like though is that I'm gonna break these things.  We are a forcefull joystick family and the old CX40s "gave" when you moved the sticks.. these 40Bs don't.

Having said that.. I'll probably buy a few more units just for the sticks to keep a supply handy.  :)

908740[/snapback]

Hi Karl...

They aren't glued, they are just tightened into the screw line within the mechanical base, so give it a solid turn and its in there good and snug, you can really beat down on these hard, they wont break unless your planning to run them over with your car ;-)

Curt

908751[/snapback]

Er actually... My handle sure looks glued to a screw which screws into the base. But I'll take a look again.

Well, they've arrived at the Winter Haven, FL Wal-Mart. I would have bought it, but I wasn't prepared to hear it from the wife about buying another game system. Besides, I was really there for birdseed. :ponder:

Anyway, I can see myself getting one in the next few weeks (if not days.)

I slummed it and went to my local Wal-Mart (why does everyone there drive the wrong way down the one-way parking lot lanes? :mad: ) and they had one left on the shelf. I picked it up, got it home, and discovered that the seal had been broken on it. I haven't tried it out yet, so I hope it works.

Edit: I just tried it out, and the console seems okay, but some of the graphics are glitchy, especially in Yar's Return.

Edited by SteveW

Found one at a Walmart here in Austin today (620 & 183 Supercenter). There were ony two there, so now there is one left... must have been put up in the last couple of days, as I checked on Monday.

Time to fire it up and see how it works!

Just noticed a MAJOR screen roll on Millipede. Made me want to read for the vertical hold on the back of the TV. (Oh wait... my TV doesn't have a V-Hold! really was a flashback, eh?)

Anybody else notice this? By the way, I dont know when one is supposed to hear "Quadrun,Quadrun,Quadrun...," but Ive played it now and have not heard it.

see ya

Buck