IGNORED

Medieval Mayhem - 2600

SpiceWare

I'll see if I can two tone the knight and post the frames for you later tonight.

I also have 2 more flash anime I'm finishing, a cleaned up version of the "in-game dragon" with the updated frames, and the "easter egg" ;)

Just showed my folks, they love it. My mom recommends the flapping tassel on top of the knight also be the player color.

I'll see if I can two tone the knight and post the frames for you later tonight.

I also have 2 more flash anime I'm finishing, a cleaned up version of the "in-game dragon" with the updated frames, and the "easter egg" ;)

Just showed my folks, they love it. My mom recommends the flapping tassel on top of the knight also be the player color.

Great suggestion, --this is really starting to take shape!

That intermission is kick-ass. You have to cram it in. It's amazing what you can do with the VCS with enough cart space and creativity applied.

I'm pretty sure the knight will fit - but I don't think there's enough space left for the chase off as the remaining ROM is scattered amongst the banks which makes it harder to use.

Updated all the dragon graphic frames with the latest images. There's 2 frames with very minor problems.

Grey player changed to Red so there will be a better contrast on the knight sequence.

mm20061124NTSC.bin

mm20061124PAL.bin

Edited by SpiceWare

Very nice! I like the red much better.

Gotta question though... I noticed if a fireball is coming in from one side (say, from the right) and you hit it with the right edge of your shield, the ball continues moving left after bouncing, instead of you being able to deflect it back the way it came from. It'd be nice if you could affect the direction the fireball was being deflected based on where on your paddle hit it.

Here is an updated two-tone version of the intermission screen. I took advantage of the second color to extend the flag furture ahead of the knight and this time quickened his pace a bit cause I thought he was movigng too slow. I'll have the frame timing mapped out to make it easier for Darrell to match as close as what's presented here.

I hope there's enough space to perserve the the way the dragon makes it's entrance . Look at the action closely to see it do that 360 spinout, it's really quick and hard to catch at first.

:arrow: Hint: You can 'right click' on the flash display to show a drop-list of playback control features including pause and frame step. :D Enjoy!

Edited by espire8

Gotta question though... I noticed if a fireball is coming in from one side (say, from the right) and you hit it with the right edge of your shield, the ball continues moving left after bouncing, instead of you being able to deflect it back the way it came from. It'd be nice if you could affect the direction the fireball was being deflected based on where on your paddle hit it.

The deflection is supposed to be based on the direction the ball is traveling in relation to the direction your shield is facing. If the fireball is coming from the extreme right, the ball is supposed to be deflected forwards. ie:

.	 _
.	/ \	<--
.   |___|

.	 ^
.	 |
.	 _
.	/ \	
.   |___|

Which corner were you playing?

The deflection is supposed to be based on the direction the ball is traveling in relation to the direction your shield is facing. If the fireball is coming from the extreme right, the ball is supposed to be deflected forwards. ie:

Which corner were you playing?

Upper left. I guess the reason I'm bringing it up is because I'm used to playing Arkanoid, which allows you pretty fine control over the direction of the ball, depending on where it hits the paddle.

The arcade Warlords also lets you send the fireball back the direction it came from, too.

Probably just a minor point, really. Medieval Mayhem already plays great. :)

Astounding animation! :-o:thumbsup:

Been working on it :D

post-3056-1164577120_thumb.png

I had to find a free bit to flag the dragon routines to draw "normal size" sprites instead if the usual double-wide sprites.

Spiceware, any chance you can make the sprites come in from the edge of the screen instead of just appearing whole? Maybe you could place black playfield blocks on other other side, to cover wrap-around.
I originally planned partial-scroll off of the dragon by utilizing the HMOVE bars and taking this image:

f1-sq1.gif

and storing it a few additional times with sections blanked out. I'm not sure I have room for that now that there's a knight with multiple frames of animation. Another issue is I'd modified the HMOVEs to only trigger when needed(so the DEMO message wouldn't have to flicker) which means there may or may not be HMOVE bars to hide behind. I think I can manually tweek the image to force HMOVEs on every line, but it won't matter if there's no room for additional frames of animation.

I had thought about using the playfield, but then fireballs would also be hidden.

Edited by SpiceWare

What is the best emulator to play this game? I've tried PCAE and the latest download of z26. Using the stelladapter and a known working set of paddles, I am having difficulty using the menu and actually playing the game.

Any command line switches I should be using for z26? I'm also now using x26 front end.

???

What is the best emulator to play this game? I've tried PCAE and the latest download of z26. Using the stelladapter and a known working set of paddles, I am having difficulty using the menu and actually playing the game.

Any command line switches I should be using for z26? I'm also now using x26 front end.

???

I'm running OS X, so I'm not familiar with z26. I use Stella which is cross platform and supports the stelladapter. I posted the instructions for it before - let's see if I can find them... here they are:

1. Instructions to play using
Stellastart Stella
load Medieval Mayhem
hit TAB, a menu will pop up
select Game Properties
on the CARTRIDGE tab set SOUND to STEREO
select the CONTROLLER tab
change both controllers to PADDLES
hit OK
hit EXIT MENU
restart the emulator for the change to take effect. Under OS X use APPLE R, under Windows and Linux use CONTROL R. You'll get a message "New Console Created" when it restarts.

Once you've done this, Stella will remember the settings if you play the game again later. However, you'll have to do it again if you download a new build.

I had thought about using the playfield, but then fireballs would also be hidden.

Remove the playfield when the sprite is fully on screen?

If somebody caught a fireball they could launch it towards their up/down opponent while the dragon is exiting. The fireball would be invisible, hidden behind the playfield.

I've done some rearranging and think I have enough room to do a partial scroll-off. I'm now tweeking that frame to force HMOVEs on all scanlines.

I noticed that the dragon only serves the fireball to the right castles. Is that how the coinop does it too? I was wondering whether it might be more "balanced" for it to serve randomly to all four corners.

I redid the dragon routines yesterday to support animation playback - the original routines were very simple and just cycled thru 4 frames. The left-to-right sequences went pretty smoothly; however, when I started work on the right-to-left seqeuences, I discovered I converted the graphics incorrectly and when the images are "flipped" to face the other direction they didn't line up correctly.

Today I reconverted all the graphics so they line up correctly when flipped. I also redid the trophy sequences as the new knight sequences and figured out how to (partially) smooth scroll on-off screen. Tomorrow I plan to resume work on the animation sequences so that launches once again occur both to the right and to the left.

Edited by SpiceWare