IGNORED

My Official Coleco ADAM rant!

MopedFreak

For what its worth, I always thought the ADAM keyboard was one of the nicest I've ever used.

Yea, the keyboard was definately one of the things they got right. In fact, it was part of larger thing that they designed really well -- and that was AdamNET. AdamNET was WAY ahead of it's time, and wasn't really surpassed until USB came along. The way it worked was that each component of the Adam (Keyboard, Disk Drives, Tape Drives, Printer) has a small microprocessor that communicates to the main microprocessor over the AdamNET bus. So you have a main processor that offloads work to the other processors as need be. Parallel processing in a home computer in 1984! A really advanced design for the time....

The Modem was originally supposed to be an AdamNET device as well. But for reasons unknown, Coleco changed the Modem design so that it hung directly off the main processor instead.

Edited by else

The Keyboard was indeed a great item. Heck, I've thought about possibly trying to connect it to a PC, but then I realize I don't have the knowledge or skill to do it. :)

Tempest, when wwe get together next, I'll have to bring along the Adam.. Did you say you had a disk drive for it?

I'm really glad this thread is here. When I first read about the Adam, I was pretty impressed by it. But, now I am reading from you guys some of its more serious problems and I am not nearly as impressed. I do find it fascinating that it used tapes to access any part of the operating system it neeeded at any given time. Pretty impressive little OS for 1984.

-Ray

When I first read about the Adam, I was pretty impressed by it. But, now I am reading from you guys some of its more serious problems and I am not nearly as impressed.

It was SO close to being a great computer -- that's what I find fascinating about it. If Coleco had spent just a little bit longer tweaking it until it was ready to go, instead of rushing it out for the Christmas shopping season, I'm sure it would have done better.

The later tape drive and printer models were vastly improved over the originals. I just don't get why Coleco didn't put as much effort in to fixing the software problems. But all the Super Games seem to be bug free, which is all the really matters today I guess....

Edited by else

Besides,why screw around with an outdated piece of equipment when there's modern pc's and printers out there that out perform the ADAM to infinity.

Outdated equipment? You do realize so is the Atari and various other computers and consoles discussed on this site? So, if you don't like "outdated piece of equipment" why are you on Atariage again? :roll:

Sorry,but thats how i feel,and each to his/her own also.Thank you!

Whatever. :ponder:

Garak

Thats my opinion,you cant compare the 2600 to computer systems,thats another thing altogether, if you dont like my opinions,tough S$%t,dont read them,everyone has a right their opinions,HAVE A NICE DAY

Edited by Rik

" I think it's funny though how people have this aversion to the ADAM or computers over consoles and are willing to pay $200 for a modded CV with A/v out but won't pay even $5 for an ADAM with A/V out built-in."

Where are these outputs on a Adam? I have only ever seen the regular thing like every console back then like the Colecovision and Atari 2600 had that connects to a TV/Game switchbox or the coaxial F Type adapter (Such as those sold at the AtariAge store), and then a television. I asked before and you mentioned something about a cable that you need to use, does that plug into the same location on a dedicated ADAM, and what the heck is it called? I've never been able to locate one online.

Edit - I had forgotten about ecoleco's site, I assume this is what I would need? How is the quality, regular rf output on my Adam has always been horrible.

http://coleco.freeservers.com/proddes.htm#avcable

Edited by Atariboy

" I think it's funny though how people have this aversion to the ADAM or computers over consoles and are willing to pay $200 for a modded CV with A/v out but won't pay even $5 for an ADAM with A/V out built-in."

Where are these outputs on a Adam? I have only ever seen the regular thing like every console back then like the Colecovision and Atari 2600 had that connects to a TV/Game switchbox or the coaxial F Type adapter (Such as those sold at the AtariAge store), and then a television.

The Adam has a monitor out that uses a Din cable like the Commodore and TI 8-bit computers that terminates to RCA video and audio (mono obviously; the cable looks like this: http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/53/02/92_2.JPG ). So no, it does not have direct composite out like many Atari 8-bit or Apple II's.

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

Thats my opinion,

That's nice!

you cant compare the 2600 to computer systems,thats another thing altogether,

Where did I even specifically mention the 2600? For all you know I could have meant the Atari 800. :ponder: :D

if you dont like my opinions,tough S$%t,dont read them,everyone has a right their opinions,HAVE A NICE DAY

Nor did I ever say you shouldn't have a right to your opinions, unless of course you're implying I shouldn't have one to mine. :D

By the way, let me give you an opinion on your opinion. I don't think anyone minded too much about you popping in here and shouting at all of us, "The ADAM is A PIECE OF JUNK,ALWAYS WAS..." However, what really was annoying was your questioning of how we use our "outdated piece of equipment". How about this for an answer: why not? :P

Since your stuck on the 2600, I can ask you a similar thing by using your sentence and changing a few words: "Besides,why screw around with an [Atari 2600] when there's modern [Gamecubes, Playstations, and X-Boxes] that out perform the [2600] to infinity.Sorry,but thats how i feel,and each to his/her own also.Thank you!" :ponder:

Ah, well, have a nice day! :grin:

Garak (my apologies on the hijacking of this thread.)

The Adam has a monitor out that uses a Din cable like the Commodore and TI 8-bit computers that terminates to RCA video and audio (mono obviously; the cable looks like this: http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/53/02/92_2.JPG ). So no, it does not have direct composite out like many Atari 8-bit or Apple II's.

Buzzzt! That is not true.

The Adam has two RCA connectors on the back. One for RF audio / video, and one for Composite video.

Edited by else

Buzzzt! That is not true.

The Adam's AUDIO signal comes out on the cable that you have pictured (not the audio and video).

The Adam's Composite VIDEO signal comes out on a standard RCA jack on the back of the computer. There are two RCA jacks on the back -- one for RF audio / video, and one for composite video.

There is only composite video out. There is no composite audio out. To actually get sound you have to use a cable like the one above to get audio and video output. An Adam does little good with just video out.

There is only composite video out. There is no composite audio out.

There is no such thing as composite audio. Composite is a term that only refers to video. Audio is just "audio".

An Adam does little good with just video out.

I completely agree, but just want to set the record straight -- it does have direct RCA-style composite video out. Maybe I just misread what your original post said. :):)

Edited by else

There is only composite video out. There is no composite audio out.

There is no such thing as composite audio. Composite is a term that only refers to video. Audio is just "audio".

An Adam does little good with just video out.

I completely agree, but just want to set the record straight -- it does have RCA composite video out. :):)

I've always heard them referred to and referred to them myself as composite cables, able to carry audio or video signals, hence "composite audio". No problem if I'm wrong though...

The Keyboard was indeed a great item. Heck, I've thought about possibly trying to connect it to a PC, but then I realize I don't have the knowledge or skill to do it. :)

Tempest, when wwe get together next, I'll have to bring along the Adam.. Did you say you had a disk drive for it?

Yeah I have a disk drive, but I don't think it came with any cables (although I do have the PS). I've never hooked it up to see if it worked though.

Tempest

Yeah I have a disk drive, but I don't think it came with any cables (although I do have the PS). I've never hooked it up to see if it worked though.

Tempest

I had a problem with the cable, and I was able to replace it with a (I think it was, I don't remember) 4-line phone cable. Works fine.

May want to double check then umber of pins, though.

I remember back in the day, wanting a Adam (mainly cause I wanted a Coleco) The games were the shizzle, and one of my friends had one, but the tape was always broken. I asked why he didn't just use the dual tape deck (for audio tapes) to make a copy of the tape befor putting it in the Adams deck and risk ruining it. He said the tapes would ruin a standard tape player.

Any truth to this? Is there something special about the tapes? Or could I copy the tapes and jus a copy till the drive eats it?

Just curious.

Also, for copying tapes on the ocmputer, couldn't you just hook a tape player to the sound in, and make a wav file or something?

I remember back in the day, wanting a Adam (mainly cause I wanted a Coleco) The games were the shizzle, and one of my friends had one, but the tape was always broken. I asked why he didn't just use the dual tape deck (for audio tapes) to make a copy of the tape befor putting it in the Adams deck and risk ruining it. He said the tapes would ruin a standard tape player.

Any truth to this? Is there something special about the tapes? Or could I copy the tapes and jus a copy till the drive eats it?

Just curious.

Also, for copying tapes on the ocmputer, couldn't you just hook a tape player to the sound in, and make a wav file or something?

The ADAM tapes will not ruin a standard tape drive. In fact, an ADAM tape will not fit in a tape player, unless you drill a couple holes in the ADAM tape case near where the tape connects to the read head..

Now, you COULD try duplicating an ADAM tape in a standard tape player (using the DUB feature), but the only time I tried it, it didn't work, but I have heard stories of people who have gotten this to work successfully. The major concern is that due to the speed of the ADAM drives, you have to use the highest quality tape you can find.

• Like 1

So that was it. Good to know.

Of course, good tape is easier (and more importantly, cheaper) to come by today then it was in the mid 80's. Hell, the cheap tape is probably of equal or better quality then the good stuff back then.

I no longer have a dual deck, but I remember doing the copy tape thing for my Starpath so I wouldn't wear the originals out.

The Adam has a monitor out that uses a Din cable like the Commodore and TI 8-bit computers

I'm amazed that nobody else threw in to mention that the TI is a 16-bit computer yet. :)

Yeah, more like an NEC Turbo-Grafx/16, Atari Jaguar debate... ;-) While the TI-99/4 and 4a, as well as the Tomy Tutor were early mainstream 16-bit computers, I still think of them in the 8-bit class. In fact, I even put the TI-99/8 prototype in the "Super 8-bit" class, along with systems like the Commodore 128, Commodore 64DX (or C-65, also unreleased), Sinclair QL and Radio Shack Color Computer 3, correctly so or not...

So....... where are those ADAM files? This is why the ADAM never goes anywhere online.

Wow, pushy. Everyone but Mr. Brasky can e-mail me for the files. ;-) But seriously, I'm still looking. I've recently moved and if I don't have them archived on my main PC, I probably offloaded them to a CD. I won't forget, it just may take me a while to track them down. I know I have them.

So that was it. Good to know.

Of course, good tape is easier (and more importantly, cheaper) to come by today then it was in the mid 80's. Hell, the cheap tape is probably of equal or better quality then the good stuff back then.

I no longer have a dual deck, but I remember doing the copy tape thing for my Starpath so I wouldn't wear the originals out.

I bought a high quality dual tape deck about 6 months or so back for that very purpose - to back up old computer tapes - especially the ones for really obscure systems, like the Heathkit line and the Interact computer. I imagine in the Adam's case, with the relative unreliability of the drives themselves and the hit-or-miss nature of converting standard tapes (I don't think I was ever able to convert one properly), it's probably quite a bit of trouble to create a working copy (I'd love to hear if anyone achieved it). I have datapack copying software that's intended to work with a dual deck Adam and a decent stock of blank real datapacks, but since I've finally acquired a disk drive, I try to avoid using those even more now. I tell ya, my heart still skips a beat when the Adam data drive spins the datapacks at high speed, since I've lost many programs that I've paid for. I'd have to rank it as one of the most unreliable custom tape systems this side of stringy floppies and wafertapes...

I tell ya, my heart still skips a beat when the Adam data drive spins the datapacks at high speed, since I've lost many programs that I've paid for. I'd have to rank it as one of the most unreliable custom tape systems this side of stringy floppies and wafertapes...

That's funny... I never had any problems with data packs when I was a kid. Although my heart also skipped a beat each time the drive would suddently jump-start in fast-forward or fast-rewind. I remember wondering how those tapes could cope with the strain. I did buy some Adam hardware earlier this year, but I never got around to trying software on data packs. I'll get around to that eventually, I'm busy with other stuff right now...

I'm actually more worried about floppies than data packs. I mean, after all these years, don't these old floppies lose data, even those that didn't get used all that much? Today, I'm weary of using 3.5 inch diskettes in my PC, so imagine how I feel about Adam software on even older 5.25-inch floppies!