IGNORED

Are there any games in your collection for systems you don't own?

Rhindle The Red

Are there any games in your collection for systems you don't own?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Are there any games in your collection for systems you don't own?

• Yes, lots.
    • Yes, a few.
    • No, but there have been.
    • No, never.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I know that I've been guilty of buying games for systems I don't have if I think I'll get one eventually. I must have two dozen games for the PS2, but no intention of getting a system any time soon. I've got about a dozen for the N-Gage, a bunch for the Arcadia 2001 and even a Neo Geo MVS cart.

For me, it's usually because I get a deal on a title that's part of a series I collect, like "Star Wars" or "King of Fighters" and can't bring myself to pass it up.

Off the top of my head, I have Super Breakout for the 5200 and I have Trevor McFur for the Jaguar, but I have neither system. I like to keep around at least 1 game for systems that I don't own so that I can test said systems if I ever run across them in the wild and decide to buy. I probably have more than those two, but they are all I can think of at the moment.

Chris

I've bought games on a few occasions thinking that I will pick up the console eventually. Usually it's worked out.

I had a couple of Commodore 64 cartridges for a while until I finally got a computer to play them on. I also had a few 3DO games lying around until I bought Kepone's console from him. I had a heap of Atari 5200 carts sitting around but the only 5200 I had was dead as a doornail.

Nowadays, the only games I have for systems that I don't own are Polarium and Feel The Magic for the DS, and Thexder for the Tandy CoCo 3.

Edit: It just popped into my head that I have two or three titles laying around here for the Game.com portable, but I have no unit to play them on, nor do I have the desire to seek one out. I only bought them because they were the only videogame related items in a thrift store that was going out of business and selling every single thing in the store for 88¢ each. I couldn't resist that kind of price.

Edited by SteveW

I have lots of consoles, so pretty much all games are accounted for. However, I do not have an Arcadia to go with my "American Football Video Game Cartridge". That's the only one--I keep it on top of my TV as a conversation piece (I watch a lot of football).

Edit: Whoops. Darn, I misvoted. I have a 3DO disc and a CDi disc here without players to play them on. Oh well, I was only thinking of the TI 99/4a and Apple IIGS games that I only recently acquired hardware to run them on.

Further edited for spelling.

Edited by skunkworx

Intellivision "Carnival" because the person on ebay misadvertised it....thought I was getting a Colecovision cart. I didn't bother sending it back.

That happened to me to..got two colecovision carts via ebay and have since traded them off.So sometimes the mistakes help your collection along.

I have War Room for Colecovision just because it is related to the Odyssey 2 stuff I have, but no Colecovision to test it on.

Intellivision "Carnival" because the person on ebay misadvertised it....thought I was getting a Colecovision cart. I didn't bother sending it back.

That happened to me to..got two colecovision carts via ebay and have since traded them off.So sometimes the mistakes help your collection along.

I have War Room for Colecovision just because it is related to the Odyssey 2 stuff I have, but no Colecovision to test it on.

Well, my Colecovision is broke....I haven't gotten it fixed....so I have Colecovision carts that can't be used as well!!

I have Bubsy for the Genesis as part of my Bubsy collection. I actually bought a SNES and Playstation to play his other games (first game I played one of his games was on the Jaguar). Since the SNES and Sega versions are practically the same, I was content with the SNES. (Though I think the Sega looks cooler, but is just harder to find.)

I do have a Sega 32-X but have yet to get it working.

Then there was Battlestar Galactica for the PS2. I am ticked they have not made a GameCube version, but it was Battlestar that helped me realize just how lame the GameCube's selection is.

"Game's available for all platforms. [Disclaimer: GameCube version not available.]"

One day I will pick up a PS2 when I can get it for the $10 price at a flea market that I got the PS1 for. ;)

I'm not sure of the defiinition of "lots" but I know I have the following orphened games:

at least 15 Odyssey II games - still not sure if I actually want an Odyssey II though

6 or so Apple II games

3 TRS80 Model 1 games

2 Intellivision games

1 or 2 Colecovision games

6 Coleco Adam game tapes

and I'm sure there are a handfull of random games that I'm not thinking about at the moment.

Systems that I had games for before getting the system:

TurboGrafx

C64

Jaguar (I have a system but no hook ups or controlers and I'm not sure it works, so this might be able to be put in the above catagory)

Atari XE (although I've always had an 800 but I picked up a few games it could not play)

All of these games I've found in the wild. Mostly I pick them up when I see a really good deal. In some cases I hope to eventually get a matching system but in a lot of cases they are primarily trade bait. Sometimes I just get caught up in the "hunting" that I don't really think about whether or not I actually want the games or system. When I realized this is when I figure I crossed the line between playing & collecting. Although I have managed to pass up a few large 5200 game lots and quite a few Colecovision games.

Edit: forgot the Coleco Adam :)

Edited by glitch

I've always been a 5200 fan and most of my collection is based on that system. But there were a few 2600 games I started collecting for various reasons. Phoenix I grabbed because I remember it being an awesome game; Krull, Millipede and Stargate because they were planned for the 5200 and never released (in Krull's case, never really started); and Alien and Turmoil because a friend had recommended them. I finally got a 2600 a few months ago (pretty cheap in a lot of 3 or 4 boxed games I was looking for) so I can play some of my 2600 collection!

If I find games for a system that I eventually intend to get, I never let the fact that I don't have it yet stop me. Currently I've got Star Trek: Phaser Strike for Microvision (but no Microvision system) and a couple of RCA Studio II games (but no RCA Studio II system). I fully intend to acquire these eventually, along with the rest of the games for those systems--I know I'll reach a point in my game-buying cycle where I'll become focused and proactive on those systems and do everything to track them down.

Past examples of games I had for systems I didn't have yet at the time included the Bally Astrocade (a grail of mine for years), Virtual Boy (a great unappreciated system), and the Sega Genesis (I always swore I'd never get this system unless I found Flicky, which I did, as well as other games which converted me). The neat thing about getting the games first is, when you finally get the system, you already have an instant collection (however small).