IGNORED

Question - FB2 Portable?

SSSSSSSSSSHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

You're giving away all our best secrets...

I knew I couldn't trust you when you signed your NDA with a smiley face!

;-)

Curt

My bandwidth is stretched beyond capacity right now and I can't take any time out for anything that scale that is not commercially viable (for the moment) plus I've already exhausted a huge amount of $$$ into the several iterations of designs, plastics, etc... and I won't have any additional capital to put into the portable for a while.

But Curt, I thought that's what that secret money press project we were working on was. You know, so we can just do any project at will with no major corporate funding. I mean, I know all the dollar bills had fuji signs and pictures of Nolan and Jack on them instead and all, but they should be 100% as acceptable as the vapor money Atari Inc. works with. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I have a LOT on my plate right now with several commercial projects and without the Atari commitment I had to put the "Portable System" (note it is not a Flashback Portable any further... it grew way outside of a portable 2600.) on hold for a while, in fact that bench has been dormant now for a few weeks...

My bandwidth is stretched beyond capacity right now and I can't take any time out for anything that scale that is not commercially viable (for the moment) plus I've already exhausted a huge amount of $$$ into the several iterations of designs, plastics, etc... and I won't have any additional capital to put into the portable for a while.

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but in about 2 weeks a stream of press releases will be coming out regarding several products coming out that I've been involved with, I think everyone will clearly understand why the portable, the computer keyboard and a few other projects have been tabled for so long. Please hang tight and thanks.

Curt

Does anybody else see that its an odd coincidence that the Gameport is being released two weeks from when Curt made this post? There site is releasing all info on it on March 1st. The alleged FBP is also much more than a portable 2600 also. Also thats why "everyone will clearly understand" why the FBP wasn't ever produced. Hmmm...

I have a LOT on my plate right now with several commercial projects and without the Atari commitment I had to put the "Portable System" (note it is not a Flashback Portable any further... it grew way outside of a portable 2600.) on hold for a while, in fact that bench has been dormant now for a few weeks...

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but in about 2 weeks a stream of press releases will be coming out regarding several products coming out that I've been involved with, I think everyone will clearly understand why the portable, the computer keyboard and a few other projects have been tabled for so long. Please hang tight and thanks.

Curt

Does anybody else see that its an odd coincidence that the Gameport is being released two weeks from when Curt made this post? There site is releasing all info on it on March 1st. The alleged FBP is also much more than a portable 2600 also. Also thats why "everyone will clearly understand" why the FBP wasn't ever produced. Hmmm...

im pretty sure that the curt has nothing to do with the gameport...

quite a coincidence there. Of course if it weren't a coincidence, there's at least a history of actually releasing hardware, as well as the whole 'being a huge part of the atari community' thing. We'll know once the world figures out what the heck a wanga is. I'm leaning toward the wanga announcement being something along the line of 'a collection of retro ports one can play on a cell phone' or something else totally unrelated to anything expected from gameport.

Until the first, we just have two products using similar technology, aimed at a small, very specific audience and with announcements coming out suspiciously close together. Of course there's also a whole lot of wanting to figure out what's happening so badly we'll thread everything together for no other reasons than the above listed. :D

Either way, thinking in circles makes my head hurt, and I'm still suffering from slight gameport burnout. I'm going back to my 'XL, everybody just fax me or something when there's a new product I can spend money on. If either happens, I'm sure I'm still good for 4 or so.

Edited by Reaperman

:thumbsup: :D

:thumbsup: :D

Out of curiosity, have we found out what products came out that Curt had a hand in?

Curt

Excitement is building!

It will be really interesting to see what products Curt is referring to. Hopefully, we will find out within a week (or two).

Curt

Excitement is building!

It will be really interesting to see what products Curt is referring to. Hopefully, we will find out within a week (or two).

Looks like Curt has been very busy

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?...tail&id=402

Of special note of all Microprose products, is that they are all Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) compliant and contain no lead.

When did lead-free solder come out? :?

This article is much less exciting than I was hoping...Darklands 2 is probably out of the question, but I was at least expecting a new X-COM :roll:

I can't find a date, is this an April fool's joke?

Edited by Asaki

Just like nearly 99% of all MAME arcade control panels for Player 1...

We almost got a paddle controller into the design, but the positioning was going to be a problem.

Speaking of Trackballs, we've teamed up with one of the most legendary controller designers in home gaming history and have taken a design that he did, added some improvements to it and it too will be joining the Microprose lineup along side a consumer version of an certain arcade game system as well.... lots of very exciting stuff coming onto the site shortly and this is all making its way into retailers this summer.

Curt

A left-handed joystick/trackball. :(

Just like nearly 99% of all MAME arcade control panels for Player 1...

Many classics had ambidextrous controls though. Admittedly, difficult to do on a consumer product like this. I always played arcade games right-handed, unless the machine forced me to play lefty - such as Joust or Defender (in each case, the joystick wasn't the sole means of moving the player, but rather integrated with other controls).

Tin whiskers sound creepy.

We almost got a paddle controller into the design, but the positioning was going to be a problem.

So not an April fool's joke o_O

Not that I'm knocking it, just an unexpected direction for Microprose to take. Give them a little Darklands sequel nudge for me if you can ;)

So not an April fool's joke o_O

Why would you have considered my article an April Fools joke? Likewise, as I stated in the article they're doing hardware first to get stability to do software. Unless you have a large parent company pumping money in to it to support development teams, you have to get the stability for that on your own.

it too will be joining the Microprose lineup along side a consumer version of an certain arcade game system as well....

I am I reading this right? Is there a new arcade game system coming out? OR Is he referring to something that is already on the market? (like Xbox 360)

On a side note, I think the new controller looks pretty good!

Why would you have considered my article an April Fools joke?

Just because it's such...

...an unexpected direction for Microprose to take.

That and I couldn't find a date on the article. This is the Internet, after all. One can never be too sure.

Edited by Asaki