IGNORED

Question - FB2 Portable?

So the portable is now being pitched to Microprose instead of Atari I take it? Well you gotta go where the money is I guess. So much for it being called anything to do with Atari now though.

I can actually see Microprose getting into this. They've been around for a really long time (I think I have some C= and Tandy disks from them) and probably have an appreciation for the oldies much like we do. I wonder, who over there at µP has the same nostalgia to want to do this. :)

Nathan

So the portable is now being pitched to Microprose instead of Atari I take it? Well you gotta go where the money is I guess. So much for it being called anything to do with Atari now though.

I can actually see Microprose getting into this. They've been around for a really long time (I think I have some C= and Tandy disks from them) and probably have an appreciation for the oldies much like we do. I wonder, who over there at µP has the same nostalgia to want to do this. :)

Nathan

Microprose was never associated with console gaming, and they got their start at the tail end of the 8-bit era in general. It would be a little odd seeing them release game hardware like a Flashback.

BTW, Engadget has been less than kind:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/29/micropr...-tarnish-a-bra/

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything, myself. But I have noticed a lot of different handhelds coming out-- Coleco, PlayPal, VG has another one out, a 50-in-one that I saw at Baysoft Gaming's site, and I know I saw a few more here and there. Seems it's the season for handhelds. Time's ripe for Curt's game device to make its debut.

Nathan

I haven't heard anything, myself. But I have noticed a lot of different handhelds coming out-- Coleco, PlayPal, VG has another one out, a 50-in-one that I saw at Baysoft Gaming's site, and I know I saw a few more here and there. Seems it's the season for handhelds. Time's ripe for Curt's game device to make its debut.

Nathan

Where are you finding all of your information on the release of handhelds? I'm looking all over for releases of plug-n-plays and other handheld items and am coming up short. Also, I think the VG on the Baysoft site is an older version, one made before the Caplet and Tablet. I find this sector of gaming most captivating and would love to find out more on future releases and other upcoming products.

You've seen the black Coleco/PlayPal, haven't you? here is the PlayPal/Coleco. and the mega drive, the AtGames handheld (can't find a picture of that one). It's smaller than the Coleco, has a different set of games and has a two-color scheme. I'll upload a pic in a few.

I just google a lot to find this stuff out, I'm fascinated with them a lot, too, since I have a lot of waiting in lines to deal with, these games are a lifesaver. It'd be great when Curt's comes out. Maybe that 50-in-one is older, just that it was news to me.

Baysoft's site 50-in-one

Nathan

You've seen the black Coleco/PlayPal, haven't you? here is the PlayPal/Coleco. and the mega drive, the AtGames handheld (can't find a picture of that one). It's smaller than the Coleco, has a different set of games and has a two-color scheme. I'll upload a pic in a few.

I just google a lot to find this stuff out, I'm fascinated with them a lot, too, since I have a lot of waiting in lines to deal with, these games are a lifesaver. It'd be great when Curt's comes out. Maybe that 50-in-one is older, just that it was news to me.

Baysoft's site 50-in-one

Nathan

Yeah, I've seen all of these already, but thanks for the shown interest. And yes, unfortunately the VG Pocket is an older version. As for Curts project, one can only hope that someday we will have some type of 2600 in our hands in a handy portable form. Ben Hecks 2600 portable looks nice, but I'd like something that could store games on an SD card for convinience purposes. I think that this would have the potential to be something real big and special for the millions of Atari fans out there. Hopefully someday it will get the green light.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I think that this would have the potential to be something real big and special for the millions of Atari fans out there.

Millions? I would say more like thousands :)

Okay, maybe not millions, but the FB2 sold nearly a million as of last summer according to this interview with Curt.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...apist-Interview

I think that this would have the potential to be something real big and special for the millions of Atari fans out there.

Okay, maybe not millions, but the FB2 sold nearly a million as of last summer according to this interview with Curt.

Yeah, I think it is safe to say millions, if you mean by that "people that really enjoyed playing Atari when they were young and still have fond memories of it, even if they have never visited AA and maybe never even bought a FB/FB2".

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

Yeah, I think it is safe to say millions, if you mean by that "people that really enjoyed playing Atari when they were young and still have fond memories of it, even if they have never visited AA and maybe never even bought a FB/FB2".

I did not buy any fb2's when they came out, mainly because I did not know that they were actual atari 2600's, and because I was not a member of this site. I plan on buying at least like 10 fb2 portables if they come out, so I also think that it is safe to say millions.

george, if you read through the thread, it isn't coming out. At least, not as we would expect from the info that came out about it. Curt is planning on his own device, and that is what I'm waiting for. Atari apparently doesn't know a good idea if it bites them in the arse. So watch out for Curt's Device, it's bound to be a great item.

Nathan

I did not buy any fb2's when they came out, mainly because I did not know that they were actual atari 2600's.
I didn't buy one because they never made a PAL version :(

I hope that future versions are multi standard. I know it means more work for the designers, but it's worth it in the long term as multistandard console can be sold anywhere in the world.