IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, ClausB said:

What price? £42?

Better, got it for a little over £30 here in the UK. Although I've still not received it as we have experiencing horrendous postal strikes here at the moment. I've got ebay orders from 3+ weeks ago I've not received. Will probably see it arrive after Christmas. 

6 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Better, got it for a little over £30 here in the UK. Although I've still not received it as we have experiencing horrendous postal strikes here at the moment. I've got ebay orders from 3+ weeks ago I've not received. Will probably see it arrive after Christmas. 

Coincidentally, I finally got the survey for the Douglas Adams kickstarter I backed ages ago!

Now I want a copy of this game... never did finish it on the Atari, back in the day.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 9:23 AM, leech said:

Coincidentally, I finally got the survey for the Douglas Adams kickstarter I backed ages ago!

Now I want a copy of this game... never did finish it on the Atari, back in the day.

I picked this up complete in box a few months ago, including a nice bag of microscopic space fleet. :)  I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but may have some time over the holiday.

• Like 2

Here's the latest Atari related thing I bought three days ago on eBay: Controller, an Air Traffic Control game from Avalon Hill. I have an ATR image of the game but no istructions and can't find them anywhere online. When I saw the sealed box of the game available on eBay I jumped on it. This game looks different than any other ATC game I've seen for 8 bit computers. It actually has a radar scope! I was an air traffic controller in the Air Force for 20 years, so I'm curious how this game runs.

29 minutes ago, magnusfalkirk said:

Here's the latest Atari related thing I bought three days ago on eBay: Controller, an Air Traffic Control game from Avalon Hill. I have an ATR image of the game but no istructions and can't find them anywhere online. When I saw the sealed box of the game available on eBay I jumped on it. This game looks different than any other ATC game I've seen for 8 bit computers. It actually has a radar scope! I was an air traffic controller in the Air Force for 20 years, so I'm curious how this game runs.

https://archive.org/details/controlleravalonhill/mode/2up

It's also on Atarimania but mine (above) is downloadable as a PDF.

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2022 at 6:35 PM, Beeblebrox said:

Not played it in years. Just dropped a screen shot from tinternet as a reminder. 

Interestingly in the last few days in real life I've definitely drunk beer and eaten peanuts. ;)

Cheers to that!

But...just gotta mention my cousin Mike playing this game somewhere around that point...

After you leave the bar, the dog will bark incessantly at you, pretty much non-stop. You can

appease it, if you brought something from the bar. However, just for absolute total kicks 'n

giggles, do what my cousin did (yeah, he's weird) and type in "rape the dog"... The response

is super appropriate and funny as all get out!  :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Cheers to that!

But...just gotta mention my cousin Mike playing this game somewhere around that point...

After you leave the bar, the dog will bark incessantly at you, pretty much non-stop. You can

appease it, if you brought something from the bar. However, just for absolute total kicks 'n

giggles, do what my cousin did (yeah, he's weird) and type in "rape the dog"... The response

is super appropriate and funny as all get out!  :)

Funny thing... when my friends and I first started playing that game, we hadn't read the books yet....

I probably should try some of those again now that I'm older and more well read.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Hhgttg and all Adam's books should be a compulsory read in schools IMHO. Love em!!! ;)😁

Fully second that. While still completely outside the literary canon known and pretty much unknown in Austria I managed to put the first three HHGTTG books on the reading list we had to prepare for our final high school exam in 1986. My reckoning was that it would be pretty unlikely for the grizzled English teacher presiding over the exams to ask questions about a SF title unfamiliar to him and even if he did I‘d know enough about the contents to talk myself out. (I think I only knew about the books by reading a review of a non-Infocom Apple II HHGTTG game.)

21 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Hhgttg and all Adam's books should be a compulsory read in schools IMHO. Love em!!! ;)😁

those were big favorites of mine too, bitd.  I also loved reading Terry Pratchett and Stanislaw Lem, which to me were similar in style.  I was remarking the other day that I hadn't really read everything Pratchett wrote, however - just couldn't keep up.

Now, turning the subject to game titles, googling around I see Pratchett had a game release in 1986, the Colour of Magic, for Spectrum and Commodore 64, but afaik never got an Atari port.  

Googling for a Stanislaw Lem "world" based game, I cannot find any 8-bit title, although top on the google search was an upcoming 2023 Steam game- the Invincible, although they say hard core sci-fi, not satire.

• Like 1