IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

Recent pickup!

An Atari 800 with dust cover and manual.

835787386_Atari800.thumb.png.1627daf5b255382465c1b68770ff3471.png

An Atari 2600 with manual, power supply and 11 games (a couple label upgrades for me).

1983876701_Atari2600.thumb.jpg.d6f7b06f47d8e72b29d12a0c97884caa.jpg

An Atari 7800 with an RF cable and two games.

276738166_Atari7800.thumb.jpg.2882b7177593b0ceca580e1cd7d9af6e.jpg

A Magnavox Odyssey 2 boxed with power supply and 7 boxed games with manuals.

1027891113_Odyssey2.thumb.jpg.27cb6037adfd6bbab379886dbb3bcd86.jpg

The lot also came with a cool Jakks Atari Paddle PNP, a Quickshot and two Wico Command Control sticks (my favorite).

1835904611_AtariPP-Wicosa.thumb.jpg.b3fda8c5fa38d4719ba2d184369ab9a6.jpg

Oh, and an XL power supply and manual (no use for these).

1789985878_AtariXLStuff.thumb.jpg.358d71da41ec3f2815239115ec8e3f47.jpg

So far I have been able to test everything except the 800 and they all work mostly.  I need to fix the membrane on the Odyssey keyboard.  :(

Ron

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, rfancella said:

LOL.  Would be funny if it was.  ;)

This one came from The Great White North.  :D

Do you know, is that the original RF cable?  It might not be.

Lived in western PA, NewCastle, at the time. Just south of the McKenzie's. :P

While possible, that cord came with XL and XE computers. Ours just had an RCA jack on each end, like the 2600 Jr, or Gemini had.

Just now, zylon said:

Lived in western PA, NewCastle, at the time. Just south of the McKenzie's. :P

While possible, that cord came with XL and XE computers. Ours just had an RCA jack on each end, like the 2600 Jr, or Gemini had.

Thanks for the reply!

Yea, it is kinda what I figured.  The score came with some XL stuff also and it says "To Computer" on it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rfancella said:

Thanks for the reply!

Yea, it is kinda what I figured.  The score came with some XL stuff also and it says "To Computer" on it.

My XEGS came with that exact cord, while my 600xl did not. We didn't keep the 7800, even a year, so you never know, lol. Only thing I kept from it, was the sticks. I like the side buttons.

Edited by zylon

44 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Nice haul. :lust:The 800 looks to be in good condition in terms of the colour of the plastic at least. Any more pics of it you might like to post? ;)

It is very dirty. Ewwe... I'll clean it up when I get a PSU for it and know that it actually works or not. It does have the 3 16k modules in it.

I kinda feel bad setting it on my C128. 😂 But that TI is sitting on my C64. 😮

0124231735a_HDR.thumb.jpg.071bb90a1a7bfb4b896a002144fa5202.jpg

The casing is in great condition. From the looks of it no yellowing. :) You may or may not know this but the plastic gets very brittle on the 800 so any knocks or stress can crack it.

With the help of the AA forum I sourced a modern quality psu with exactly the same spec. Use them for the 800, 1050/810 drives. Perfect replacement for the older original psu. (I know you aren't in the UK). 

image.png.c18f91b5d1fd5b78d11c5200e1ec0f49.png

https://www.poweradaptorsuk.co.uk/3000ma-3a-9v-27va-acac-mains-power-adaptor-277-p.asp

It just needs an adapter to convert the 2.1mm barrel plug to. A 2.5mm.

image.thumb.png.c6bb3ac2079afffd50350ea036276a6e.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225077999696

I am in the UK and found original psu's for these machines very hard to come by or modern equivalents on ebay cost near £40. 

The above combo cost me around a third of that. 

Incidentally should you be interested... :)

... My 800 has the incognito upgrade installed. Best thing I ever did for it. :)

https://youtu.be/vduEeKiMcWA

Check out Flashjazzcat's various YouTube vids on Atari 800 upgrades, the incognito install, etc. 

Also see my signature for a link to my complimentary incognito guide. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rfancella said:

Oh, and an XL power supply and manual (no use for these).

1789985878_AtariXLStuff.thumb.jpg.358d71da41ec3f2815239115ec8e3f47.jpg

That XL power supply is the dreaded 'ingot' variant. Not to be trusted. Their failure mode is overvoltage and they tend to take most of the chips in the computer with them when they go.

Belongs at the bottom of your nearest body of water, or at least your trash can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, adam242 said:

That XL power supply is the dreaded 'ingot' variant. Not to be trusted. Their failure mode is overvoltage and they tend to take most of the chips in the computer with them when they go.

Belongs at the bottom of your nearest body of water, or at least your trash can.

Exactly why my 600xl keyboard doesn't work today. My old ingot torched the pair of 4051's

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

The casing is in great condition. From the looks of it no yellowing. :) You may or may not know this but the plastic gets very brittle on the 800 so any knocks or stress can crack it.

[SNIP]

Incidentally should you be interested... :)

... My 800 has the incognito upgrade installed. Best thing I ever did for it. :)

https://youtu.be/vduEeKiMcWA

Check out Flashjazzcat's various YouTube vids on Atari 800 upgrades, the incognito install, etc. 

Also see my signature for a link to my complimentary incognito guide. 

The top of the case is slightly darker than the bottom, but it's hardly noticeable.  No cracks, chips or scratches anywhere to be seen.  So that's all a plus.  :D

I do have a couple questions (half way through the first install video).  With all the mod/bodge wires, can you take it back to stock just by removing the Incognito and putting the original cards back in it, or do the mods have to be removed?

Thanks,

Ron

21 hours ago, zylon said:

Exactly why my 600xl keyboard doesn't work today. My old ingot torched the pair of 4051's

Understood.  Wire are now clipped.  I might be able to use the cords somewhere else. ;)

I tested it and it's putting out less than a volt anyway.  I'm guessing it's dead.

Now, anyone need a manual, in very good shape, for an 800XL?

Thanks,

Ron

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mutil8 said:

i like that dust cover. did not know there was a white one. 

It's a little dirty as well, but no rips, tears or stains.  So it's a winner.  Funny thing is, I have over a dozen old PC's and the only two I have with dust covers are Atari's?  My 1040STf also has one and one for the monitor (SC1224).  Commodores, Amigas, TI, ZX, Apples and Macs don't have one.  🙊

Thanks,

Ron

14 hours ago, rfancella said:

It's a little dirty as well, but no rips, tears or stains.  So it's a winner.  Funny thing is, I have over a dozen old PC's and the only two I have with dust covers are Atari's?  My 1040STf also has one and one for the monitor (SC1224).  Commodores, Amigas, TI, ZX, Apples and Macs don't have one.  🙊

Thanks,

Ron

That's because the 800 was designed to look like an IBM Selectric typewriter and those always had a cover ;-)

(I assume typewriters originally had covers because that would prevent dust sticking to a lot of slightly oily machinery beneath the keyboard but it is nevertheless interesting to see the case of covers continuing on electric typewriters (which in my dad's office always got covered after hours) and even some early computers but fell completely out of fashion with the PC (although keyboards still collect dust and other dirt).)

Back in action. Good thing I killed the power when diagonal waves on screen began, as it only took out the pair of 4051's. Full keyboard returned to function, with only the LED still dead. I'll get over it. Already put the 1064m module on. Now to continue the fight with post office, over my Unocart I'd ordered....

Yes, there's better available, but this one was my 1st Atari computer, and intro to the A8. I'll fix it till end of time. :) I do need to get more responsible in using safer power supplies, and now using a v5, I bought from B&C on ebay. Will be eliminating my old C= bricks too, or at least using as backup only.

600xl fixed.jpeg

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1