IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

13 hours ago, RedShirt36 said:

I just received a copy of "M.U.L.E." complete with packaging, manual, floppy, and quick reference card, from an eBay seller for a very reasonable price compared to the others I've seen. I did a search and found a listing that said "for PC," with no mention of Atari, but when I took a close look at the picture I could see "Atari 400 800" on the floppy. Sometimes you just get lucky...

I find this with Avalon Hill games quite a lot - they'll be listed under Apple or TRS80, but with an Atari version sharing the media

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Beginning of March I finally bagged myself a 800, but, was a bit of a bittersweet experience.  There was a NTSC and PAL on eBay at the same time.  In a moment of madness/desperation/idiocy, I put a higher bid than I normally would.  Couple of days before then I realised I'd bid on the NTSC not the PAL.  Then watched the bidding climb, with my fingers crossed, hoping I'd be out bid.  One more bid and I would've been beaten, it took it right up to my maximum.

Thankfully, the seller did an amazing job in packing it ready for delivery.

I've not checked under the hood fully, only to check it had the full 48K and that it worked.

It did come with additional manuals for upgrades like Happy and couple of ram upgrades.  I've added some photos and partially covered a phone number incase it is still live.

IMG_20240311_085925739.jpg

quart meg.jpg

Edited by deffroe
  • Like 1

I just received an Atari 800XL in beautiful condition and almost looks brand new.  While missing a small piece of aluminum above the reset key, it does have the PBI cover plate.  🙂 

I offered $100, on a buy-it-new, and it was accepted. 

Testing shows it mostly works.  Only the "/" key is sticking.  So, I'll replace the aluminum, fix the "/" key, add color to the monitor port, add +5vdc to the PBI, maybe add /halt to the PBI, swap out the 74LS08 with a 74F08, and put it up for sale.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, deffroe said:

Bought a bundle of 12 Atari User magazines which are in really good condition.

IMG_20240620_2028140152.thumb.jpg.bc7aa49b722d424ff4a14a6956bd387c.jpg

A nice blast to my teenage years.

Ah that takes me back. Owing to lack of space at my place all my Atari user, new Atari user, page6, Antic and Analog mags are all stored at a relative's place.

I am pretty sure I have all copies of Atari user. Trouble is, where would I put them. Can't bring myself to part with them as a huge part of my childhood. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox

58 minutes ago, deffroe said:

Bought a bundle of 12 Atari User magazines which are in really good condition.

IMG_20240620_2028140152.thumb.jpg.bc7aa49b722d424ff4a14a6956bd387c.jpg

A nice blast to my teenage years.

These look great. I have an almost full set but they are in well read condition. 

Its not from Ebay but I just got an Atari 800 with the 5 pin din mod, unfortunately the thing has not screen output but the red light turns on.

Did the original Atari 800 have  a5 Pin Din on it I also got a working 1050 disk drive ? 

Russ

1 hour ago, rcamp48 said:

Its not from Ebay but I just got an Atari 800 with the 5 pin din mod, unfortunately the thing has not screen output but the red light turns on.

Did the original Atari 800 have  a5 Pin Din on it I also got a working 1050 disk drive ? 

The original 800 had a 9v AC plug using a barrel connector that is identical to the power for the 1050 disk drive.  It also has a 5-pin DIN plug that is the monitor port, not a power plug.  That's why the 800XL uses a 7-pin DIN for power, so the power can never fit into the monitor jack.  Internally, the 800 rectified the 9v AC into three different power outputs: +12v (sent to one of the SIO pins, but I think otherwise unused, so nobody cares now), +5v (used for almost everything), and -5v (used for the standard RAM boards, but unneeded if you get a modern SRAM replacement board).  So if you don't mind it becoming incompatible with the original RAM boards, then I think it would be possible to modify it get rid of the internal power circuitry and take an XL power plug or a USB power plug.  But I think that's all in theory; I haven't heard of power mods being a normal thing.  (Now I'm sure someone will post an interesting link to just such a mod to prove me wrong, which would be cool, as I would learn something.)

7 minutes ago, pcrow said:

The original 800 had a 9v AC plug using a barrel connector that is identical to the power for the 1050 disk drive.  It also has a 5-pin DIN plug that is the monitor port, not a power plug.  That's why the 800XL uses a 7-pin DIN for power, so the power can never fit into the monitor jack.  Internally, the 800 rectified the 9v AC into three different power outputs: +12v (sent to one of the SIO pins, but I think otherwise unused, so nobody cares now), +5v (used for almost everything), and -5v (used for the standard RAM boards, but unneeded if you get a modern SRAM replacement board).  So if you don't mind it becoming incompatible with the original RAM boards, then I think it would be possible to modify it get rid of the internal power circuitry and take an XL power plug or a USB power plug.  But I think that's all in theory; I haven't heard of power mods being a normal thing.  (Now I'm sure someone will post an interesting link to just such a mod to prove me wrong, which would be cool, as I would learn something.)

Yes I should have made it clear, the 5 Pin din is monitor , it does have a barrel plug and an Incognito card Ir lights up and has another switch on it but the AV is not working I have reseated the ram.

I should try the ram one at a time to see if one of them is bad.

The Sinclair 2068 works and it has 2 cartridges. 

Russ

2 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

Yes I should have made it clear, the 5 Pin din is monitor , it does have a barrel plug and an Incognito card Ir lights up and has another switch on it but the AV is not working I have reseated the ram.

I should try the ram one at a time to see if one of them is bad.

The Sinclair 2068 works and it has 2 cartridges. 

Russ

If it has an Incognito card then the original ram boards should not be in there at all! Incognito replaces them. Can you upload an image so we are clear? 

The switch you speak of is likely an ATR swap button. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Ah that takes me back. Owing to lack of space at my place all my Atari user, new Atari user, page6, Antic and Analog mags are all stored at a relative's place.

I am pretty sure I have all copies of Atari user. Trouble is, where would I put them. Can't bring myself to part with them as a huge part of my childhood. :)

I had every issue from mid 86 to just after it changed over to New Atari User(page6) along with a few issues of PC World and some early issues of c&VG which I gave away when I sold my Atari collection in the early 90s.  

18 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

These look great. I have an almost full set but they are in well read condition. 

I'm really surprised at how good a condition they are in, a credit to original owner. A couple look like they're fresh off the press.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 1:34 AM, Beeblebrox said:

If it has an Incognito card then the original ram boards should not be in there at all! Incognito replaces them. Can you upload an image so we are clear? 

The switch you speak of is likely an ATR swap button. 

Here are the pictures , it looks like an incognito card but it could be something else I will try it without the ram installed thre is two CX853 cards and another cad which does not have a case around it do I need that card as well ?

WIN_20240622_13_25_10_Pro.thumb.jpg.98aae4bb113c0f1848e2c71fb6ca3dce.jpg

WIN_20240622_13_15_49_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240622_13_16_21_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240622_13_17_03_Pro.jpg

Edited by rcamp48

18 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

Here are the pictures , it looks like an incognito card but it could be something else I will try it without the ram installed thre is two CX853 cards and another cad which does not have a case around it do I need that card as well ?

WIN_20240622_13_25_10_Pro.thumb.jpg.98aae4bb113c0f1848e2c71fb6ca3dce.jpg

WIN_20240622_13_15_49_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240622_13_16_21_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240622_13_17_03_Pro.jpg

It has the word Mosaic written on the board, I have good RAM at the shop , but I dont know if thats the problem. I dont have another 5 pin din cable.

Russ

8 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

It has the word Mosaic written on the board, I have good RAM at the shop , but I dont know if thats the problem. I dont have another 5 pin din cable.

Russ

So that isn't an Incognito board. 

Incognito looks like this:

incognito-atari-800.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

So that isn't an Incognito board. 

Incognito looks like this:

incognito-atari-800.jpg

I reversed one cable on the top so that the letter T was on the top and I get a green screen, here is a pic of the insides .....

There is a letter T on each plug they are both the same size so they may have been reversed from the very beginning , it looks like a Mosaic card

WIN_20240622_14_36_38_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240622_14_36_44_Pro.jpg

Edited by rcamp48

This looks like a Mosaic 64K RAM Select card:  https://hardwarecomputerist.atariverse.com/media/pdf/manual/Mosaic 64K RAM Select - Manual.pdf

Chips on all the cards face the rear.  The first slot should be the OS Board, the remaining the RAM cards, Mosaic in the last slot (For your configuration).

Like this :

MOSIAC

ROM

Keyboard

My original 800 came with 16K and a Mosaic 32K RAM card, which failed twice.  The first time a friend in the users' group fixed it, but the second time was years later, and I bought a replacement 800 on eBay.  My first guess is that the Mosaic RAM card died.  I would try pulling the RAM cards and using just one at a time to see how it goes.  The manual linked above does show adding a cable, which probably explains the cable in the memory card area, which is clearly not factory standard.

On 5/20/2024 at 4:01 PM, reifsnyderb said:

I just received an Atari 800XL in beautiful condition and almost looks brand new.  While missing a small piece of aluminum above the reset key, it does have the PBI cover plate.  🙂 

I offered $100, on a buy-it-new, and it was accepted. 

Testing shows it mostly works.  Only the "/" key is sticking.  So, I'll replace the aluminum, fix the "/" key, add color to the monitor port, add +5vdc to the PBI, maybe add /halt to the PBI, swap out the 74LS08 with a 74F08, and put it up for sale.

Nice score!
Where were you able to get the little aluminum piece for above the reset key? My 800XL is missing it as well and I'd like to replace it.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, slacker said:

Nice score!
Where were you able to get the little aluminum piece for above the reset key? My 800XL is missing it as well and I'd like to replace it.

Thanks!

I had a donor machine, that had a yellowed case and the system board had signs of being in a wet environment.  I used my hot air soldering station to quickly remove the aluminum, cleaned it up, and glued it on.   🙂

• Like 2

We are talk Mega Atari stuff like a truck load of it, 3 of 4 Atari STs, monitors , a 1040 STE, an 800 xl a 400, an 800, a crap load of Sinclair stuff , and two Megafile 30s in working condition, all for sale.  I hit the mother load on this stuff , its up for sale starting immediately, I am in Kitchener, Ontario. I will even leave my phone number in a PM if you are interested in any of this stuff. My friend Don has just picked up a truck load of stuff and has authorized  me to sell it all. 

The STE works fine as does the 800, have not tested the 800XL but will, if some one is coming and has a keyboard for an 800XL my 800xl with U1MB board needs a keyboard.

Russ

WIN_20240630_17_44_31_Pro.jpg

WIN_20240630_17_43_57_Pro - Copy.jpg

WIN_20240630_17_43_43_Pro.jpg

Edited by rcamp48
adding pics
  • Like 1