IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

27 minutes ago, deffroe said:

Very nice!!

https://www.ataricompendium.com/game_library/controllers/controllers.html  Think you might have every variety.

I do have all the ones they list, but there is so many more, I never knew they did so many different variations.

I could possibly have the biggest collection of comp pros in the UK, but not the world, there is a collector in Germany who when I last spoke to him had 51 different Competition Pro joysticks and 24 unique boxes and there is still more to find....

Oh and also, I do not pay the over inflated eBay prices either ;) 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Overange said:

um, nothing to be afraid of...

Mine is competition pros, I currently have over 35 different versions.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a317eabc7a55bfb326c1410edce5457.jpeg

Darling, it’s not useless dust catchers, if we throw a party everyone has a hook for their coat…

Nice and space-efficient presentation!

11 hours ago, deffroe said:

Think I'm getting a joystick fetish..

Never seen most of these but often can‘t resist a joystick if it’s a type I haven’t seen before (except for Quickshots or their clones which looked soooo cool when they came out but turned out to be a big disappointment when played).

Just now, slx said:

Darling, it’s not useless dust catchers, if we throw a party everyone has a hook for their coat…

Nice and space-efficient presentation!

ahh, but what kind of party?!  heh heh ;):evil:

Amazing collection of joysticks there. I've probably got 2 x zipsticks, a collection of CX40s, CX24s, Quickshot I/II's, Cheetah's and a cool boxed Super Champ joystick with a retractable cable in the base. The box has pics of the 400/800 on the side too. Very cool.

Of course aside the joysticks my fav control pad is my SNES plugged into the SNACK controller. Great for shooters.

7 minutes ago, slx said:

Never seen most of these but often can‘t resist a joystick if it’s a type I haven’t seen before (except for Quickshots or their clones which looked soooo cool when they came out but turned out to be a big disappointment when played).

I found my original Quickshot II Plus model which I've had since the 90s is actually one of the best joysticks I own. I agree that the Quickshot I and clones are pretty ropey.

The Cheetah's aren't great.

My go to is the original Zipstik I've also had since the 90s. Very responsive microswtiches and great for Prince of Persia and other platformers. Although in hand it's pretty uncomfortable playing shooters like The Last Squadron or Atariblast!, and the location of the little rapid fire slider switch on the back right is pretty awful. I am right handed and it digs right into your palm.:-o

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I found my original Quickshot II Plus model which I've had since the 90s is actually one of the best joysticks I own. I agree that the Quickshot I and clones are pretty ropey.

The Cheetah's aren't great.

My go to is the original Zipstik I've also had since the 90s. Very responsive microswtiches and great for Prince of Persia and other platformers. Although in hand it's pretty uncomfortable playing shooters like The Last Squadron or Atariblast!, and the location of the little rapid fire slider switch on the back right is pretty awful. I am right handed and it digs right into your palm.:-o

As the Topic says. latest eBay purchases and in theme with this little side chat, I did just buy this little gem of a Joystick on eBay, However I did have one back in the day when I was 12ish, I saved my pocket money for it, all to try and beat one game, after breaking several Quickshots.

It was the Logic3 Sting-ray 

image.png.6e046d482eb8efb19894862c5f55230c.png

The game in question was WWF on the Spectrum 48K, when ever you got into a grapple you had to wiggle left and right as fast as you can, I found that with the Stingray having such a short shaft, you could put it between your fingers and give a super fast wiggle, so I manage to get the final boss, Srg. Slaughter, and just needed to win one more grapple and boy did I wiggle it, so much so, boom, I snapped the end right off :( and I lost..... But as my brothers and myself agreed, lets see that as a win. never went back to the game again lol.

The fast wiggle games such as Summer Games etc, really taught us skills when it came to wiggling the Joystick.

Kids these days with there PS/Xbox pads will never know the pain of a good wiggle game. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought a hell of a lot of stuff of A8 late, but here is my bargain RGB Philips CM8801 Vintage CRT Colour Monitor (scart only), which I can use with my VBXE 800XL (which has and RGB Din13 to Scart Cool Novelties cable), Atari ST and my Atari Jaguar. Can't wait to play Swiety's A8Doom on this monitor!!! :lust:

(Incidentally apart from the Prince of Persia image, (which is a Piccalo created image by Rensoup), all are Rasta converter images, (so not VBXE exclusive). The last three images are my own Rasta conversions from the last couple of years) :) 

image.thumb.png.440f5c3b7e52407027ffcb0499f60673.png    image.thumb.png.d6a70623209234e6103bd9843ae20f38.png image.thumb.png.3be20df61d0042da7c77e50f3e4cb979.png

image.thumb.png.ddbd4f0cc81cae508ae9cce458cd6b5c.png image.thumb.png.575d082b49973d085f1cbb7a8413c753.png image.thumb.png.d4d3e04c5f4d68e7f04e9de4e58d4f77.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I've bought a hell of a lot of stuff of A8 late, but here is my bargain RGB Philips CM8801 Vintage CRT Colour Monitor (scart only), which I can use with my VBXE 800XL (which has and RGB Din13 to Scart Cool Novelties cable), Atari ST and my Atari Jaguar. Can't wait to play Swiety's A8Doom on this monitor!!! :lust:

(Incidentally apart from the Prince of Persia image, (which is a Piccalo created image by Rensoup), all are Rasta converter images, (so not VBXE exclusive). The last three images are my own Rasta conversions from the last couple of years) :) 

image.thumb.png.440f5c3b7e52407027ffcb0499f60673.png    image.thumb.png.d6a70623209234e6103bd9843ae20f38.png image.thumb.png.3be20df61d0042da7c77e50f3e4cb979.png

image.thumb.png.ddbd4f0cc81cae508ae9cce458cd6b5c.png image.thumb.png.575d082b49973d085f1cbb7a8413c753.png image.thumb.png.d4d3e04c5f4d68e7f04e9de4e58d4f77.png

Very nice, it must be monitor month, as I also picked up what I would say is quite a rarity.

It replaces my 12 inch 3:4 LCD TV

A 20 Inch 3:4 LCD TV, normally you only see wide screen, or small ( <15 Inch ) 3:4 LCD TVs

SHARP LC-20S5E-WH

20 Inch Screen
VGA Panel 640 X 480
S-VIDEO and Composite input on the Side
PC INPUT
1x RGB SCART
1x Composite/Svid Scart

Supports  NTSC / PAL / SECAM

Analogue RF Tuner

This pic shows it with an 800XL for size comparison.

For its age its in really good condition and it was a bargain at £20

image.thumb.png.c05a2217cb742990b3b8e0ccb64835fe.png

I prefer the Flat Screens for space reasons ;) 

Edited by Overange
  • Like 5

I just received a DOA Atari 600XL for $49.95 + $14.95 shipping.  🙂

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394847452886

I knew it was DOA when I bought it.  The case looks good and it turns out it's a PAL machine.  Now that I look again, I see the sticker on the bottom.

I get a click when I turn it on but nothing else and the screen stays black.  Swapping the chips into another 600XL shows that all of the chips are all good.  I put the GTIA and ANTIC in an NTSC machine and got a black and white Ready prompt.  So, I am pretty sure those chips are good.  (I could try them in my PAL 800XL, but I am getting a good, solid, Ready prompt.)  I don't know if the marker on them indicates they were replaced or somebody thought they should be replaced.  It also appears somebody took a soldering iron to this computer before.  I am not sure why.  A quick glance doesn't indicate any pads are raised, so that's good anyhow.

There is no Atari "farting" boot-up sound.

Next up is to get out the Scope and check for a clock pulse.  But I've got a few other things to do before I get really serious with this.  This patient is on it's way to recovery.   🙂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

I just received a DOA Atari 600XL for $49.95 + $14.95 shipping.  🙂

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394847452886

I knew it was DOA when I bought it.  The case looks good and it turns out it's a PAL machine.  Now that I look again, I see the sticker on the bottom.

I get a click when I turn it on but nothing else and the screen stays black.  Swapping the chips into another 600XL shows that all of the chips are all good.  I put the GTIA and ANTIC in an NTSC machine and got a black and white Ready prompt.  So, I am pretty sure those chips are good.  (I could try them in my PAL 800XL, but I am getting a good, solid, Ready prompt.)  I don't know if the marker on them indicates they were replaced or somebody thought they should be replaced.  It also appears somebody took a soldering iron to this computer before.  I am not sure why.  A quick glance doesn't indicate any pads are raised, so that's good anyhow.

There is no Atari "farting" boot-up sound.

Next up is to get out the Scope and check for a clock pulse.  But I've got a few other things to do before I get really serious with this.  This patient is on it's way to recovery.   🙂

After Action Report.    🙂

After I got the scope out I found there was no Phi2 then no clock pulse at all.  Nothing.  Looking into the oscillator circuit, one of the two transistors had a bad solder connection.  Something else didn't look right so I pulled the crystal and both transistors.  I found out the +5 supply to the transistors had a torn land.  So, I replaced the transistors, added a jumper for the +5v, and installed the crystal.  (I do have a kit to repair lands but these were rather closely spaced so I opted for a jumper.)  Now there's a clock pulse and phi2!  It still isn't booting.  After looking some more, I found some other bad solder connections on capacitors.  It quickly became apparent that somebody got a wild hair up their a** and replaced most, if not all, of the electrolytic capacitors.  Some of the solder joints were ok and others sucked.  So, I re-flowed and repaired the bad solder connections.  Still no life.  This part took a while.  I dug out my 800XL PAL board and confirmed the PAL ANTIC and GTIA are both 100% functioning.  With the scope, I noticed A0-A4 looked horrible.  So, I spent too much time on a tangent trying to figure that one out.  Long story short of it all was that the reset capacitor was twisted and the legs were shorted.  The poor computer was in a forever state of reset.  After that was fixed, still no life.  So, I started checking other signals and found that CAS wasn't working right.  After tracing it out I found the 74LS51 socket had a bent contact.  (Looking at the socket, the plastic appeared distorted as though something was poked in that connection that shouldn't have been.)  Since I couldn't get in to bend the contact back I replaced the socket.  The Atari now farts when it boots!  But there was still no video.  Here it turned out this was my stupidity as I didn't have composite video connected and forget the 600XL only supplies composite video to the jack.  After some time troubleshooting that non-existent problem I realized the problem was me and connected composite video.  The Ready prompt appeared.

One more Atari 600XL back from the dead.   😀

I'll see if I can get good S-Video out of this machine and upgrade it to 320k internally.  It still has OS R2 and BASIC B, so that needs upgraded as well.

• Like 9