IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

Ahh... much better. Got rids of the rat's nest, reworked the parallel and hardwired SIO cable

After & Before

Clearly I know how to handle a soldering iron :)

Taking a PR Connection out of the case in order to solder a printer cable directly to the solder pads, when all they needed was a DB15 connector and hood. That`s stupid.

This also shows how much ICD was cutting costs when it was made, the circuit board is designed for 2 SIO port connectors but they soldered the cable to the board to save the cost of one SIO port and cable plug.

Ahh... much better. Got rids of the rat's nest, reworked the parallel and hardwired SIO cable

After & Before

Clearly I know how to handle a soldering iron :)

Taking a PR Connection out of the case in order to solder a printer cable directly to the solder pads, when all they needed was a DB15 connector and hood. That`s stupid.

This also shows how much ICD was cutting costs when it was made, the circuit board is designed for 2 SIO port connectors but they soldered the cable to the board to save the cost of one SIO port and cable plug.

Yeah I have one of these ICD PR Connection hubs, Of course It needs power from the SIO bus and I have a 1200XL which has neither +12v or +5v, It's too bad It didn't have a plug onboard for the right type of Atari psu brick, sigh.

A 4-port 5200 and a 600XL. Filthy but cheap!

Vacuumed dust and dead bugs out of the XL case. Pretty clean inside shield, bone stock, 16K. Plugged it in and ... it works!

5200 not as dirty, just one dead spider. No power supply, so not yet tested.

Yay, it works, mostly. Power circuit not working but with 5 V injected after regulators, rainbow display comes up. Now need carts.

Today I got Pac-Man and Star Raiders for the 5200. Clean and cheap! I chose Pac-Man because it's the game I converted for the 800 while researching my article. And Star Raiders because it's, well, Star Raiders.

Two packages in the mail today! One was another 5200 Star Raiders but this one has the box, manual, and overlays. Yay! Only $39.95 at J.C. Penney's. Ha.

post-18605-0-76178800-1301352036_thumb.png

Also got two 5200 controllers and a power supply. Sticks work but some keys do not. Paid more for those than for the 5200!

post-18605-0-95056600-1301352086_thumb.png

My latest eBay item? Atari 600XL, 1050, Atari 800 & 850, some joysticks'n'paddles. Complete disappointment...

Looks and smells like engine parts & tires were stored on top of this stuff. No power supplies, no redeeming parts (maybe the 850 if it works). Should I ask for a refund?

post-27823-0-24063600-1301355909_thumb.jpg

post-27823-0-48441200-1301355925_thumb.jpg

post-27823-0-52436100-1301355935_thumb.jpg

My latest eBay item? Atari 600XL, 1050, Atari 800 & 850, some joysticks'n'paddles. Complete disappointment...

Looks and smells like engine parts & tires were stored on top of this stuff. No power supplies, no redeeming parts (maybe the 850 if it works). Should I ask for a refund?

Depends on how much you paid. I've bought units that look just like these and after cleaning them up they turn out fine.

stevem

Depends on if the condition in your photos matches the photos provided in the listing.

Most stuff is listed "as is" these days so unless your latest purchase was damaged in transit or differs greatly from the listing description then not a lot you can do apart from think what that $75 could have bought you - like a nice dinner for two, or a nice reconditioned Atari 400 or an as new Atari 65XE.

Depends on if the condition in your photos matches the photos provided in the listing.

Most stuff is listed "as is" these days so unless your latest purchase was damaged in transit or differs greatly from the listing description then not a lot you can do apart from think what that $75 could have bought you - like a nice dinner for two, or a nice reconditioned Atari 400 or an as new Atari 65XE.

A while back I bought an Indus GT on ebay, Seller said "As Is" and He didn't even know how to test the drive, I already had a 5200 psu brick which is perfect and plugged It in to the back then plugged the psu into the wall and then flipped the switch to On, It lights up and works like My 1st one that I had and best of all the drive needed no cleaning, nice. So I can't complain, Since It's not a PC most don't know squat about the A8 computers, But then some people were in diapers when they were New.

A while back I bought an Indus GT on ebay, Seller said "As Is" and He didn't even know how to test the drive, I already had a 5200 psu brick which is perfect and plugged It in to the back then plugged the psu into the wall and then flipped the switch to On, It lights up and works like My 1st one that I had and best of all the drive needed no cleaning, nice. So I can't complain, Since It's not a PC most don't know squat about the A8 computers, But then some people were in diapers when they were New.

That sounds like a sweet deal you got there. What I hate is when sellers have no idea about what they are selling (in itself not a bad thing as it can mean bargains) and thus decide to take no care in packing stuff up properly so it gets bashed around in transit. I also can't stand sellers who list Atari stuff and say "it is a bit filthy, could do with a clean"......... makes me roll my eyes .... lazy b************ - just polish the stuff up so it looks better - only takes a few minutes. :ponder:

I could give you the AppleAge forum URL but you need an iPad 7 to access it :D

Nothing wrong with cleaning and restoring vintage stuff, I just hate it when the seller can't even be bothered to give the thing a quick dusting before they take photos.

I've found lots of weird and wonderful stuff underneath keyboards but, sadly, no money so far. :roll:

Depends on what the ad said. If it was stated "as is" then you probably don't have reason. You still have some good parts there, man. Chances are the computers DO work, and the drives may still work, or perhaps can be combined with others.

Hell, even if the computers don't work, if you hang on to them, you can part them out - particularly the 800.

If you send back big lots, typically you pay shipping both ways, and by the time you get your $75 (but not the original shipping) and pay return shipping, you're out the money and have nothing at all. Happened to me before.

I've found lots of weird and wonderful stuff underneath keyboards but, sadly, no money so far. :roll:

You should collect arcade machines then - almost every one I have picked up has some money in it. One I got was $50, and I found $14 in the cashbox when I cracked it open. And trust me - you still get the weird (and nasty) stuff too!

That sounds like a sweet deal you got there. What I hate is when sellers have no idea about what they are selling (in itself not a bad thing as it can mean bargains) and thus decide to take no care in packing stuff up properly so it gets bashed around in transit. I also can't stand sellers who list Atari stuff and say "it is a bit filthy, could do with a clean"......... makes me roll my eyes .... lazy b************ - just polish the stuff up so it looks better - only takes a few minutes. :ponder:

Yeah I hear Ya, Some 409 and some paper towels, Some are just too lazy, must be awfully busy then. Mine was packed ok and had no damage at least and thanks.