IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

Cool story.

I think most sellers avoid Italy due to processing times it seems to take for things to clear customs.

I tell what are the latest USPS travel times....

USPS First Class Mail Int'l is really slow.. 4/5 weeks shipping time...

USPS Priority Mail Int'l is 10 days to 2 weeks including customs...

This is a typical tracking from a Priority Mail shipping:

Delivered Abroad, March 23, 2011, 2:56 pm, ITALY

Out of Foreign Customs, March 22, 2011, 11:36 am, ITALY

Into Foreign Customs, March 18, 2011, 1:12 pm, ITALY

Arrived Abroad, March 18, 2011, 1:11 pm, ITALY

International Dispatch, March 12, 2011, 9:20 pm, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

Arrival

Electronic Shipping Info Received, March 11, 2011

Acceptance, March 11, 2011, 3:45 pm, HALLSVILLE, MO 65255

Not that bad... ;)

I only shipped to Italy once... Item never made it and it's still out there somewhere in the ether!!!

But I usually try my best to ship overseas if I can, lately it's been taking longer and longer for stuff to get to it's destination but as long as it eventually shows up and the recipient is not unreasonable about delays out of my control then I'll continue to ship overseas.

I am sorry to say I have lost 2 of 4 packages sent to Italy. the third got returned. I so 1 of 4 delivered does not give me much confidence in Italian postal system. I have shipped to Albania, Poland, and a few other eastern European countries and had no problems. My problem is I have no way of separating the orders from all European orders. So I ship it and hope it makes it.

The only worse country I have for delivery in Brazil. I only ship Express and the customer now has to pay extra for that.

I see your points but honestly if the seller is a woman. Does she really feel like meeting a perfect stranger at her doorstep? I know I would not...it is just not worth the risk for a few dollars. so I see both sides.

I considered this, but really: once you start dealing with buyers and sellers on eBay, your postal address becomes exposed anyway. By the same argument, she should not even agree to post the thing to a local buyer in case I note her address then walk round to her house, break in while she's out, and steal the rest of her stock. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

I only shipped to Italy once... Item never made it and it's still out there somewhere in the ether!!!

I am sorry to say I have lost 2 of 4 packages sent to Italy. the third got returned. I so 1 of 4 delivered does not give me much confidence in Italian postal system.

I think the rule for valuable objects should be USPS Priority Shipment Insured as mandatory type of shipment.

It is easily trackable and gives you all the insurance coverage you need.

You can even enter the tracking info into the paypal system. So you are safe at least on the shipping side.

But most important you need to make sure all the info you got are correct and that you have both the home and mobile phone numbers written on both the box and the customs proforma invoice.

If delivery fail after this... then it's not your fault. Paypal will never take your money back! ;)

I contacted him this morning asking - routinely, I assumed - if it was OK to collect if I won the item. "Sorry, no collection" was his terse response. I'm afraid I was unable to restrain myself in my reply.

Simple... Bid on the item, then use ebay to request the seller's personal information. Call the guy on the telephone and tell him that you'll meet him at a corner shop to pick up the goods

Failing that, create a fake facebook of a smoking hot local girl that visits the local pubs, post plenty of pictures, and then friend the guy on facebook. Once friended, post about his treatment of you on ebay.

Simple... Bid on the item, then use ebay to request the seller's personal information. Call the guy on the telephone and tell him that you'll meet him at a corner shop to pick up the goods

Failing that, create a fake facebook of a smoking hot local girl that visits the local pubs, post plenty of pictures, and then friend the guy on facebook. Once friended, post about his treatment of you on ebay.

LOL... what if the seller is female. Option 2 won't work then... or it might... who knows. :)

This arrived today from Hong Kong to lighten my mood:

post-21964-0-60977500-1302287270_thumb.jpg

For use with the GUI...

Craigslist (Kijiji actually), but still a good deal!

320K 130XE with way cool SIO indicator lights. Box is rather faded, but otherwise in excellent condition.

post-11281-0-93215600-1302394007_thumb.jpg

XF551 with after market power indicator light. Slight yellowing on the front of the drive, but the box is in great shape.

post-11281-0-46435500-1302394013_thumb.jpg

Mods detailed here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/180155-another-round-of-name-that-mod/page__gopid__2254676#entry2254676

I see your points but honestly if the seller is a woman. Does she really feel like meeting a perfect stranger at her doorstep? I know I would not...it is just not worth the risk for a few dollars. so I see both sides.

I considered this, but really: once you start dealing with buyers and sellers on eBay, your postal address becomes exposed anyway. By the same argument, she should not even agree to post the thing to a local buyer in case I note her address then walk round to her house, break in while she's out, and steal the rest of her stock. :)

LOL, I carry mace and a gun from second world war. don't knock on my door or i kick you in marbles

Latest things I bought on Ebay, the Retarded Edition. I'm tempted not to post, but your laughter will partially mitigate the buyer's remorse! :)

post-16281-0-18660900-1302402402_thumb.jpg

Why? Because I bought STe. What's wrong? I didn't think to check if my old TOS is soldered in. Now I'm afraid to look.

post-16281-0-46871300-1302402415_thumb.jpg

Why? Because it was my first modem. What's wrong? Pretty much useless, but pretty fun to have this stuff around.

post-16281-0-41178300-1302402426_thumb.jpg

Why? There are very few ST books in PDF, so have to buy. What's wrong? Too expensive, considering shipping. But ST books are so rarely-listed, no choice.

post-16281-0-13870300-1302402438_thumb.jpg

Why? I have more machines than monitors, this is BY FAR the best-quality Atari monitor (JVC) and I want spare for when caps start blowing out. What's wrong? Definiteley wasn't free, and already have.

post-16281-0-91567200-1302402445_thumb.jpg

Why? The keycaps on 2 of them look very good, and I have some that won't retrobrite. The cases look pretty good. Also, I'm going to experiment on these with my soldering/desoldering junk. I don't want to botch good machines. Maybe build one, use the others for parts, and dissect the rest for soldering practice. Would like to try a memory upgrade on these original ST models without worrying about wrecking the really nice ones I have. What's wrong? Obviously, anybody who'll buy broken STs and pay to ship them will buy the proverbial swampland and bridge you'd like to sell me.

post-16281-0-99091000-1302402454_thumb.jpg

Why? Never tried GFA and it looks interesting. What's wrong? Not free, don't know which version GFA this is for. Don't know if I can download GFA, but think at least one version is on the STart disks.

Heh... you're having the opposite problem to me. No seller will take the pennies I'm throwing at them. :)

This week: I chased two monitors (a 1084S and a Philips CM8833-II), one of which had an over-inflated starting bid and pricey shipping and which I offered the seller £15 for after it failed to get a single bid. No-go. The second one (the Philips) was sniped from under my nose with microseconds to go. That one had become too expensive, too. What else? The Amiga 600 from the "local" selller, which ended up going for £28 - out of my price range anyway (and I no longer want a 600). This evening, a 1050 disk drive with no bids at all - at least not until someone bid £15 for it in the dying seconds. Then the Philips shortly afterwards...

Oh - I did get something. A bloody Amiga mouse for a fiver. Whoop-de-doo. :)

I bought a factory-fresh, sealed copy of Star Raiders 2 for the XE series. It looks like it was just taken off the store shelf. Oh, I also purchased a boxed 130XE computer a few week ago, it has everything but the original warranty card. Does anyone have an extra warranty card?

Just picked up three A800s that look like they've been stored in a garage for ten years. (The photo doesn't do justice to the grime, but I knew that would be the case.) The seller wanted $83 apiece for them (no power supplies, nothing). I offered $20 apiece and drove 30 miles to pick them up. Turns out two of them are in good working order and one won't boot. A little bit of elbow grease and a new set of stainless steel screws should put the first two right. The non-functional unit has case damage (a crushed corner). Does anyone have a use for damaged case halves?

BTW: In the past I've picked up two units that were sold as "keyboard non-functional." They both turned out to be disconnected. Hard to believe that anyone would leave the keyboard disconnected after going to the trouble to open it up...

stevem

post-29221-0-26893700-1302557218_thumb.jpg

BTW: In the past I've picked up two units that were sold as "keyboard non-functional." They both turned out to be disconnected. Hard to believe that anyone would leave the keyboard disconnected after going to the trouble to open it up...

stevem

Happens to the best of us... I had 3 800XLs that I took apart to check for various things. I was intending to do some mods to them and left the keyboards disconnected but screwed the cases shut to make sure they stayed together... Anyway long story short I ended up putting them in storage for a few years and when I got them out freaked out as I thought all three had dead keyboards...

Steve, I think I remember seeing that guy's listings (if that pic is off ebay). Anyway, glad you managed to get a deal. Congrats.

Yup, it was eBay and the outfit is svc.com. Anyway, I enjoy cleaning up the 800s up and returning them to service.

stevem

Steve, I think I remember seeing that guy's listings (if that pic is off ebay). Anyway, glad you managed to get a deal. Congrats.

Yup, it was eBay and the outfit is svc.com. Anyway, I enjoy cleaning up the 800s up and returning them to service.

There's a certain bit of fun in doing that. I can think off less-constructive hobbies, for sure!

Finally got MIO stuff in the mail. Pics to come soon of all ICD products. Only one problem - nothing to run the stuff on! Until now...

Atari 130XE TESTED WORKING

Item condition: --

Ended: Apr 11, 201119:18:34 PDT

Sold For: US $55.00

Shipping: FREE Economy Shipping

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3206840605451?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320684060545&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

EDIT: Glad to see the old interface up for AtariAge forums!

post-27823-0-70436000-1302575477_thumb.jpg

Finally got MIO stuff in the mail. Pics to come soon of all ICD products. Only one problem - nothing to run the stuff on! Until now...

Atari 130XE TESTED WORKING

Item condition: --

Ended: Apr 11, 201119:18:34 PDT

Sold For: US $55.00

Shipping: FREE Economy Shipping

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3206840605451?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320684060545&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

EDIT: Glad to see the old interface up for AtariAge forums!

Hey, that looks like AA user akator's 130XE that he had for sale here....

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/179127-akators-items-for-sale/

.....before Ebay! Good deal, though.