IGNORED

Wii has been a smash success and I am happy.

homerwannabee

You guys can voice your opinion about systems you don't own...even post volumes of words about them, (I read until I got to the first insult and then stopped so some of your post was wasted key strokes).... but nope, if you're experience with a system is 10 minutes at a kiosk and what you've read.... it's all hot air and not valid to a discussion any more than someone that watches a couple episodes of E.R. and reads a book about doctors can contribute to a discussion about medical procedures. Sorry.

Have to disagree with you on this, Moycon.

I can go to a car dealership and test drive a car for 10min and decide whether or not I like the car and whether or not I want to buy the car. I can have a valid discussion (based on that 10min test drive) with others on how comfortable that car was, how the accelleration was, what the turning radius is like, was it roomy, was it quiet, etc etc etc.

I do not have to own the car or even rent the car for 30 days to have a VALID discussion with anyone about the car I test drove. And I believe the same principal applies to a gaming system.

Mendon

Well, guess I might just as well chime in too.......... (edited to not repeat entire post)

They're all game systems, and we're all gamers. So why not just play and enjoy them for what they are? :P

EXCELLENT post and I agree with you 100%!

As I said before, for myself, I don't care what company makes the games or what company makes the system. Its all about the games themselves and that's all that really matters.

Mendon

You guys can voice your opinion about systems you don't own...even post volumes of words about them, (I read until I got to the first insult and then stopped so some of your post was wasted key strokes).... but nope, if you're experience with a system is 10 minutes at a kiosk and what you've read.... it's all hot air and not valid to a discussion any more than someone that watches a couple episodes of E.R. and reads a book about doctors can contribute to a discussion about medical procedures. Sorry.

Have to disagree with you on this, Moycon.

I can go to a car dealership and test drive a car for 10min and decide whether or not I like the car and whether or not I want to buy the car. I can have a valid discussion (based on that 10min test drive) with others on how comfortable that car was, how the accelleration was, what the turning radius is like, was it roomy, was it quiet, etc etc etc.

I do not have to own the car or even rent the car for 30 days to have a VALID discussion with anyone about the car I test drove. And I believe the same principal applies to a gaming system.

Mendon

But your discussion is necessarily limited. You won't have, for example, experience with how it handles in the rain, or snow, or a good estimation of gas milage, whether it needs a lot of repairs, etc., etc. People who base their opinions of ANYTHING

on first impressions are necessarily under-informed.

I haven't actually played a PS3 yet, so I have yet to chime in on the system as being 'good' or 'bad.' I CAN say with confidence that there are no titles on the system that I am interested in yet, and that I will not pay for a system with no games I want on it. That's why I don't have one. That, and the price tag.

But someone who plays a single Wii game for five minutes on a kiosk and immediately dismisses it as gimmicky, or, for that matter, proclaims it the savior of video gaming, is being ignorant.

I can tell you right now that my opinion would not be modified by owning these systems. I already know what to expect from each them, and force feeding myself with 20 hours of Resistence isn't going to change that.

Makes sense to me. We're all veteran gamers who've seen it all and played it all. It's only natural that we'd develop the insight to analyze a system for even a brief time and be able to tell if it appeals to us personally.

Whatever kisrael...Paranoid. Just play with your Wii's.

My whole point was you guys are as supposed hardcore gamers, (30+ years old and members of a video game internet forum) missing out by being close minded towards the next gen. I was trying to appeal to your sense of common sense, that you couldn't form an opinion without first hand experience. (Which neither of you is admitting you've had)

First off, I'm not sure if I still qualify as a that much of a "hardcore gamer". I've played through 4 or 5 games this year, that's it, though work to set up sessions for multiplayer w/ friends over. But whatever.

I mean, what the hell are we arguing about here? I guess we're saying "we think the Wii's low cost and innovative controls make up for it not being the graphical powerhouse of the other systems". Your counterargument seems to be "no no no, PS3 is SO MUCH BETTER and if you don't think so, obviously that's ONLY BECAUSE YOU DON'T OWN IT AND HAVEN'T PLAYED IT FOR HOURS!

In fact, I'd say the opinion of someone who has had played the hell out of a game might be suspect, having sunk so much money into the system and time into the game, they've probably made an emotional investment.

I remember back in the day when it didn't matter...Atari 2600, Colecovison, Intellivision, You wanted all that goodness.

It's all part of getting old I suppose.

Now you get more enjoyment out of slamming folks you've never met.

Enjoy.

Oh dude, you need to get over your f'in martyr complex. It's a god damn WEB FORUM. It's a time when we PUT DOWN OUR CONTROLLERS and *TALK* (and bicker and argue a bit, but that's all part of the charm)

You're trying to put yourself up as the "beacon of common sense" when more people here disagree with you then don't. Which means one of a few possibilities:

* You're not the voice of common sense that you think you are

* Everyone else is an idiot

* You're not very good at communicating your ideas

or some combination of the above.

Makes sense to me. We're all veteran gamers who've seen it all and played it all. It's only natural that we'd develop the insight to analyze a system for even a brief time and be able to tell if it appeals to us personally.

To a point , I guess you could tell if the controllers were to your liking, there's so much fun stuff you can do with the current systems that you just have to sit down and play around with one in my opinion.

You can waste long periods of time just playing around on the dashboard. Paranoid insists that Xbox live sucks, but I could swear in a previous post he said that he had been turned off by Live on his original Xbox. He stated that everyone on there was idiots. I've never taken my original Xbox online...So I dunno. I do know on the 360 you keep friends lists, so you almost always have folks that you know are cool available to play. Not that it matters, I've gone in and just hooked up with people on a weekend and played games, I can't think of any that were overly obnoxious or turned me off to playing. (Unlike some of the jerks I'd see on Diablo 2) My understanding was that Paranoid doesn't own a 360 or taken one online. My point was how can you say Live on the 360 sucks because Live on the Xbox sucked? Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe he has been online with his 360 and was unlucky. Some folks are stating that the 360 doesn't do anything the PS2 or Xbox can't do...I don't understand this either...again, I'd have to assume they haven't sat down with one because it's not true. Some of the games, sure....but more and more no way. In any case, You can't see how easy or fun it is to hook up with folks to play or hell just to BS with your pals at a kiosk. Folks are poppin boners left and right over taking the Wii online right now, believe me, it's charming, but doesn't hold a candle to taking a 360 online again something you'd have to experience at home. Whatever tho. If a person wants to judge and dismiss without taking the time to explore, doesn't bother me.

Edit:

I mean, what the hell are we arguing about here?

I'm not arguing with you, kisrael....To be honest I got no clue what your issue is LOL Go drink some hot tea and take a bubble bath or something.

Edited by moycon

Whatever kisrael...Paranoid. Just play with your Wii's.

My whole point was you guys are as supposed hardcore gamers, (30+ years old and members of a video game internet forum) missing out by being close minded towards the next gen. I was trying to appeal to your sense of common sense, that you couldn't form an opinion without first hand experience. (Which neither of you is admitting you've had)

I remember back in the day when it didn't matter...Atari 2600, Colecovison, Intellivision, You wanted all that goodness.

It's all part of getting old I suppose.

Now you get more enjoyment out of slamming folks you've never met.

Enjoy.

I don't know if I'm a hardcore gamer, either. For my age group, I suppose I am. I'm not being close minded to the next generation, I'm simply stating why I agree with the arguments I've seen for why the Wii is the most exciting thing to come out in this generation of console. I've pointed out why it hits a sweet spot with MY demographic, (a demographic that Nintendo seems to be aiming squarely for), and why the other two miss that target almost completely. This has been presented in a format of rational logic and consistent opinion. You responded by posing rhetorical questions and then answering yourself in the negative, and then "LOL"ing at your answers to these "questions" you had presented, which was a pretty abrasive post. Now you're acting as if you've been attacked unfairly, simply because I pointed out the lunacy of suggesting that you must OWN a thing to have an opinion on it.

But you're right... it IS about getting old. It is called wisdom. When I was a kid, I could go through a JC Penny catalog and I wanted every toy on every page and if I could have had them, I would have. Now I can go through a Fry's flyer and although I may be interested in three or four things, I go weeks on end before I see something I actually *want* enough to go out and buy it. I've *said* as much that if money were no object, I'd have all three of the new generation (it seems a misnomer to keep calling them Next-Gen being that they're all three here) machines. But money *is* an object. That being so, of the three, the Wii is the most interesting to me. I can get "curl my toes" graphics *other* places and I don't see what the 360 or P3 offer me other than that. The Wii has the unique features that sound *interesting*. Not *impressive*... the P3 sounds *impressive*. But I'm not interested in "shock and awe". I'm interested in being entertained. To me, entertainment means more than sitting in front of a TV with a d-pad trying to get into the escapist fantasy that I'm a psychopathic inner-city gangsta in LA, or a underground ricer, or a professional snowboarder, or a special forces sniper... *again* and *again* and *again*, only with ever increasingly sophisticated graphics.

A certain appeal to the Wii comes from having had *similar* experiences, also. I've gone places before, Arcades, amusement parks, where they had something innovative in the arcade. Something that gave you a sense of motion. Super Hang On or Super Out Run would be a great early example of a game where after your first time, you went home and sat there and went, "Wow, that was so different and *cool*, I must play again". Of course, there are a lot of other examples available, too, even earlier ones. Take your pick...

The Wii seems to have the promise to deliver that kind of experience. Something new, that takes some effort to develop the skill at, that becomes so immersive that you get a jones going for it. Again, being "OLD", I base this opinion on a WEALTH of previous personal experience and how I *personally* responded to those.

Which is why, I am *personally* inclined to the Wii, and NOT so excited about the other platforms. Which is perfectly reasonable, logical, and grounded in critical thinking and self-knowledge, and has nothing to do with "insulting" you or being a "Wii-tard" or "Fanboy". Arguments of this type are actually just lazy examples of the opposite of those things.

Moycon:

Re: Xbox Live 360. Nope, my experience is limited to gaming online with the Xbox Live and with general online gaming communities in the PC. I've seen a common thread/attitude through all of them (and we even see the fringes of the same mentallity here in the forums).

How can you accurately have an opinion on XBox Live if you've never played the original online? This is by your OWN logic, remember, so proceed carefully. Yeah... this is a trap question. Here are your choices,

1: Stick with your original guns, and admit you CAN'T have an opinion on Xbox Live for the original, in which case, I can make ANY claim I want about it, and you'll have to admit I'm probably right, as I *do* have experience with it...

2: Modify your original statement, in which case, you've proven I *was* right about a point that you defended almost religiously (That you can't have an opinion without extensive experience).

Neither choice sounds very appetizing, does it. I did *warn* you that your opinion was indefensible, though.

Anyhow, based on my wealth of previous experiences, -online- *gaming* communities attract... well, dorks. Obnoxious kids. People who live and breath for a particular game with an obsessive quality that is unhealthy, disturbing and sad. Poseurs and misfits.

Online, in communities like *this* one, I've met many intellectually stimulating, opinion challenging, interesting and complex individuals online. People with well balanced lives, a certain sense of *maturity*, wit, wisdom and the ability to be entertaining. It is places like this where I go online to seek a *community*. I don't see online gaming ever challenging that fact, because of the *general* caliber of user that online gaming seems to attract. Even then, this is really a secondary pursuit to me. I'd much rather meet people like this in the real world. But for all of these reasons and a couple more that I've previously listed that were more DIRECTLY connected to the actual experience being offered/pusshed, XBox Live 360 just doesn't appeal to me, even though you seem to be presenting it as the "killer feature" that makes the Xbox 360 worth having. Why would I pay an annual subscription fee *plus* download fees for particular content for things that I can get other places for free, with a superior experience?

I've been doing multi-player gaming since MIDIMaze. Since that time, there has *never* been a window of time where I didn't have the ability ot have multiplayer games in multiple rooms of my house. Actually, my *first* multiplayer game was an Accolade sailing game with modem connectivity for the C=64 (not to mention BBS door games). The point is, I've watched the evolution of online gaming. Frankly, since Quake IV Arena I've been disappointed with the state of online gaming. The whole idea of Punkbuster type methods being necessary is proof that online gaming is *failing* as a legitimate way to play. And trust me, there are plenty of exploits on closed systems like XBox. Originally, it was pretty good in that sense, but I quickly saw it deteriorate *there* as well. Smart kids with bad hand-eye coordination and a pathological desire to be the BEST, online *once* in their lame-ass lives have *ruined* online gaming. They can't play real sports, they can't compete online... but they're nerds enough to figure out how to cheat.

In that sense, I've given up on online gaming. If I want multiplayer gaming, it'll happen at a LanParty at my house (where I've got two Xboxes in different rooms (and room for a few more), and 12-14 of my own PCs all with video cards and processors good enough to run anything up to Quake IV, at least, spread throughout my fully wired home.

Finally...

The car analogy. It is just that. A decent analogy. You *can* take a 30 minute test drive and figure out which vehicle you are initially impressed enough with to make a significant comittment to, for all the reasons listed above.

BUT, anyone who has bought several cars knows... you can, after a week or so, really come to regret the snap decision you made based on that short test drive. After driving my Miata for a few weeks, I realized that while driving my right leg would cramp up because of the strange why it routed my leg to the gas peddle. This is something that required a long term driving experience to notice. Of course, eventually, that leg got stronger in the muscles that were being taxed by the Miata's design, and it wasn't a problem. In retrospect, the Mustang GT I traded it in on seemed like a great idea during the test drive when I was pushed back into the seat during accelleration. It turned out to be a *horrible* decision that *no* amount of acclimation could make better. I traded it for my first BMW, and can't imagine going back to anything else.

Oddly enough, that was the popular consensus about BMW ownership that I had heard, before I ever bought it (and of the Miata, also). Fun to drive, etc. etc.

That LAST point is to illustrate that the opinions you hear like a roar from the general public and professional rules usually have more than a grain of truth to them. And *that* is what we are talking about here. The *roar* of opinion about the Wii and it's controller, compared to hardly a squeek about anything innovative about the 360 or PS3.

Long post......

I love replying to you. I can make quite a few paragraphs and they look really tiny :D

I see what Moycon means though. And Xot. And you are still hung up on Live because you still only consider it online multiplayer, which it is not, based on your previous experience. It has been pointed out about homebrews, game demo's, playable game demo's, strategy guides, hints, developer videos, downloadable stuff for games that are free or pay. Then there's the video chat, across game voice chat meaning Moycon is playing Viva Pinata I am playing GoW and we sit and BS. Then text messages, or video messages, or pic messages. Plus all kinds of non-gaming downloads.

This is why when you say...

I can get "curl my toes" graphics *other* places and I don't see what the 360 or P3 offer me other than that. The Wii has the unique features that sound *interesting*. Not *impressive*... the P3 sounds *impressive*. But I'm not interested in "shock and awe". I'm interested in being entertained. To me, entertainment means more than sitting in front of a TV with a d-pad trying to get into the escapist fantasy that I'm a psychopathic inner-city gangsta in LA, or a underground ricer, or a professional snowboarder, or a special forces sniper... *again* and *again* and *again*, only with ever increasingly sophisticated graphics.

it becomes apparant that your lack of really trying out Live (or the PS3 service, although I don't think it's as robust yet) shows by simple statements about how the games look, instead of what the systems as whole are really all about. And c'mon you can do better than that :D And this is just one thing about the 360 for instance that can't be done elsewhere. I don't wanna sell you one, and don't get the impression that MS loves me and you. They are in it for the money, which is what they should be in it for. And it's not perfect.

If this isn't interesting to you, that's understandable. I have played simple games, used a fishing controller, a light gun, a baseballbat controller, etc. That could be why the wii does nothing for me, even before taking graphics or other limitations into account. Then I played one for a while and a few different games for it. Even though I had reservations about it beforehand, my experience with it changed my mind. I thought the controller would be an issue, now I know it will be :P I like more precision and the feel of a standard controller. Maybe a year or 2 from now, improvements can be made or I can adjust easier. Who knows. Point is, just like you I thought I had a good idea to what was what, but until I could enjoy it at my pace, on my tv, I would never be able to really know.

And wiitard, for what I can tell, needs no hyphen :P

According to this.

And when I use it, it is meant in the most insulting manner like definition 1. And whoever gets insulted when I use it, good. It was meant for people of your calibur. For those that don't get insulted, then good you are above that type of crap.

Edited by Starscream

I'm not arguing with you, kisrael....To be honest I got no clue what your issue is LOL Go drink some hot tea and take a bubble bath or something.

Don't be such a condescending twit. (and also, consider not LOLing at what you just wrote. It makes you sound like a tool.)

If your point was specifically a counterargument about Xbox Live, I would have no beef with that. But you framed it in terms of ANYONE's ability to comment on a system that they don't own. And a bunch of people called you on that, because trying to control a conversation by claiming someone's opinion is valueless is a god damn rude thing to do.

If this isn't interesting to you, that's understandable. I have played simple games, used a fishing controller, a light gun, a baseballbat controller, etc. That could be why the wii does nothing for me, even before taking graphics or other limitations into account. Then I played one for a while and a few different games for it. Even though I had reservations about it beforehand, my experience with it changed my mind. I thought the controller would be an issue, now I know it will be :P I like more precision and the feel of a standard controller. Maybe a year or 2 from now, improvements can be made or I can adjust easier. Who knows. Point is, just like you I thought I had a good idea to what was what, but until I could enjoy it at my pace, on my tv, I would never be able to really know.

*shrug*. that's fine. I hear what you're saying about the controller, though the nunchuck gives it a good thumbstick, and it has a fair number of buttons for traditional gaming.

And wiitard, for what I can tell, needs no hyphen :P

According to this.

And when I use it, it is meant in the most insulting manner like definition 1. And whoever gets insulted when I use it, good. It was meant for people of your calibur. For those that don't get insulted, then good you are above that type of crap.

In other words, you use it to be a troll, hoping to goad a response out of people. That's an ass-hat tactic.

In other words, you use it to be a troll, hoping to goad a response out of people. That's an ass-hat tactic.

No I call em like I see them. If it gets a response, then obviously that person is who I was talking to, otherwise, they'd blow it off as a big nothing. And get real. If you are a big pussy about a word, you've got other issues to look into. And you seem to understand condescending far better than I.

Edited by Starscream

Some day I'm going to compile a book full of forum arguements about why people believe other people aren't allowed to argue. At least 3/4ths of the entire book will come directly from Atariage next gen. topics. The majority of it will be indistinguishable from an arguement against independant thought. It will be the worst thing ever put to print and will be as useless as most of this thread has become.

Edited by Atarifever

I hear what you're saying about the controller, though the nunchuck gives it a good thumbstick, and it has a fair number of buttons for traditional gaming.

Actually, concerning the controller, I look at it this way: Nintendo still has to get its bearings. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are utilizing traditional controllers (d-pad, thumbsticks, shoulder buttons and/or triggers, face buttons, etc.), which is already known how to utilize well enough to make games enjoyable. For Nintendo, however, the Wiimote is something new, at least for them. It's not a new concept, per say (neither was the DS's touch screen, as PDAs have used touch screens for years). Remember that, at first, most DS games using the touch screen for anything other than basic menu controls felt somewhat gimmicky, and only a handful of games utilized the touch screen well. It wasn't until about a year or so later that we started to sit up and really begin to take notice of some truly amazing DS touch-screen-controlled games, and just look at the DS and its great library today.

I think the same case can be argued here for the Wii. First, Nintendo must learn which games work best for the Wiimote (with or without the Nunchuck), and which games might actually benefit more from the Classic Controller (or some combination of the two thereof). For example, I've heard complaints about the controls in FPSes for the Wii. It's not that the Wii can't do FPS games, exactly. They just have to get the formula right and the controls right. Perhaps for that genre, it might be best to offer both Wiimote controls that are unique, as well as support for the Classic Controller for a more traditional control scheme. That way, everyone's happy on both sides. It's up to Nintendo (hopefully by listening to its fan base and critics alike, as well as through basic experimenting) to figure out which controllers and control schemes work best with which games. Once Nintendo gets its bearings proper, then we'll start to see some games that control well and don't feel quite as gimmicky.

Right now, though, it's way too early in the console race to be declaring the winner. It just began, after all, and all three systems appear to be doing quite well. Give it a year to let all three get their ducks in their respective rows, then come back to the table and discuss the subject of who beats who, and how.

Edited by rockman_x_2002

I'll add a couple of bits. The wii controller seems to be a hot topic, but I have to say (I own a Wii), that it's *quite* a good little setup, and not just for the games that are designed for it. Take metal slug anthology for example. You would think that a traditional arcade compilation like that would suffer for using the Wii controller, right? Wrong. It works great, so well in fact that my scores on the Wii are higher than the arcade. I'm particularly fond of the sensitivity on the nunchuck, as it's perfect. I love that you can set it to throw grenades with a slight tap of the Wiimote. It really does work quite well. Combine that with the fact that there are like five completely different ways to use the controller to play the game, and it's a good thing.

Besides, the dang thing just came out. Every system has kinks to work out at first. As to who will win the console wars, who knows? Who cares? Just be open minded and enjoy the games you like.

What? I missed a memo or something, I thought people buy consoles, so they can bitch about them on the internet? :?

Yeah, but the best bitching is usually from the people who haven't bought them - and usually from before they've been released, too.

You're right and I still think the XBOX720 sucks major donkey balls. Only xtards will buy that.

What? I missed a memo or something, I thought people buy consoles, so they can bitch about them on the internet? :?

Yeah, but the best bitching is usually from the people who haven't bought them - and usually from before they've been released, too.

You're right and I still think the XBOX720 sucks major donkey balls. Only xtards will buy that.

Damn right. I'm getting a Wuu.

I think the same case can be argued here for the Wii. First, Nintendo must learn which games work best for the Wiimote (with or without the Nunchuck), and which games might actually benefit more from the Classic Controller (or some combination of the two thereof). For example, I've heard complaints about the controls in FPSes for the Wii. It's not that the Wii can't do FPS games, exactly. They just have to get the formula right and the controls right. Perhaps for that genre, it might be best to offer both Wiimote controls that are unique, as well as support for the Classic Controller for a more traditional control scheme. That way, everyone's happy on both sides. It's up to Nintendo (hopefully by listening to its fan base and critics alike, as well as through basic experimenting) to figure out which controllers and control schemes work best with which games. Once Nintendo gets its bearings proper, then we'll start to see some games that control well and don't feel quite as gimmicky.

A good point about developers still having to learn about the Wii-mote.

The one thing is though, I think most people don't have a strong idea of what the Wiimote can't do: it's easy to feel that it's tracking the controllers position in space, but that is so not the case; it seems best at detecting motion, ok at rotation, and its 3D spatial tracking is limited to when its pointing at the screen.

I think you see some of the most "exercising" of the potential of the thing in minigames, esp Monkey Ball and Rayman. For example, "Red Steel" would make me a lot more nervous about the FPS potential of the system, if Monkey Ball didn't have an ok-controlling little FPS death match in it. Some programmers are apparently smarter than others at working with the potentials and limitations of the control (esp what to do when the sensor bar loses track of the Wiimote). And in general, the "shove" recognition (like for Red Steel zoom in) is kind of poor.

I'm still trying to figure out when the Classic Controller will most be used. Can Wii games read the GC ports? Is something like Smash Bros going to support both the GC and Classic Controller?

Another random Wii gripe is, stands for what to use to pause besides start and how to go through menus aren't set. (And then Monkey Ball pulls crap like making you press and hold the (+) button to register the pause! DUMB)

Now you're just trolling. Xtards is very insulting and condescending and you shouldn't act like that, twit.

And your memo was biased. The only real memo said bitch about a system until you by it, then it's cool.

:P