IGNORED

Whos planning on going to the Midwest gaming classic this year?

jboypacman

I didn't realize that the convention was that close to me. Only a seven hour drive from Cincinnati according to mapquest. Hard to figure the real time it would take. You can shave two hours by not driving the speed limit. But then, the route takes me right through Chicago, so how much time do I add for that?

From my experience, Chicago is in a constant state of rush-hour from Friday afternoon until late Friday night, so if you're going through during that period, expect to add another hour or two to the trip.

It's looking pretty good for me to be able to attend again this year. I hope Al will be there again, so we have a place to hang out and chat :)

I didn't realize that the convention was that close to me. Only a seven hour drive from Cincinnati according to mapquest. Hard to figure the real time it would take. You can shave two hours by not driving the speed limit. But then, the route takes me right through Chicago, so how much time do I add for that?

From my experience, Chicago is in a constant state of rush-hour from Friday afternoon until late Friday night, so if you're going through during that period, expect to add another hour or two to the trip.

Two years ago I drove through Chicago Friday evening to get to Milwaukee for the show and don't remember it being that bad. And it was raining heavily at the time. There was a lot of traffic, but I think it was moving at a reasonable pace all things considering. I think the route I took last year bypassed Chicago entirely (plus if I had gone through Chicago, it would have been much earlier in the day so traffic wouldn't have been as bad). This year if I go I would be driving through Chicago again. :)

..Al

Two years ago I drove through Chicago Friday evening to get to Milwaukee for the show and don't remember it being that bad. And it was raining heavily at the time. There was a lot of traffic, but I think it was moving at a reasonable pace all things considering. I think the route I took last year bypassed Chicago entirely (plus if I had gone through Chicago, it would have been much earlier in the day so traffic wouldn't have been as bad). This year if I go I would be driving through Chicago again. :)

..Al

I remember that day, that was when the big rain storm hit the midwest and flooded the hightway.

..Al

I remember that day, that was when the big rain storm hit the midwest and flooded the hightway.

Yes, we were at Cedar Point earlier in the day and we witnessed the most amazing weather any of us have ever seen in our lives. The storm came rushing in, and literally sea-level clouds engulfed the entire park from one end to the other, in the span of a few minutes. It also went from bright daylight to near night in that same timeframe. People were running out of the park screaming. It was absolutely incredible and I doubt I'll ever see anything like it again.

..Al

..Al

If you decide to go and you need a place to crash your more than welcome to stay at my place. I live north of Chicago about 7 miles from the Wisconsin state line. I might go but I'm not sure. I'm getting married on the 15th so it's cutting it really close.

If you decide to go and you need a place to crash your more than welcome to stay at my place. I live north of Chicago about 7 miles from the Wisconsin state line. I might go but I'm not sure. I'm getting married on the 15th so it's cutting it really close.

Ummm, *cough* bachelor party anyone? Kamino will have the tavern set up in his room again, just need strippers. ;) And that works out perfectly, you can just tell your fiance you're going to a video game show for your bachelor party. She'd never suspect anything. 8)

Edited by wgungfu

If you take the Chicago loop around Chicago instead of through it, traffic generally is continually moving. And going 80 MPH in the 55 MPH zone is barely keeping up with the flow of traffic, so if you're okay with that, you can easily shave some time off that. When it gets busier, that area drops to like 55 MPH, so it doesn't really delay you as much as it just isn't as fast as the other times.

Hope you'll come! This year should be incredible!

Ummm, *cough* bachelor party anyone? Kamino will have the tavern set up in his room again, just need strippers. ;)

Ah, good old Kamino. :) I don't think I can recall ever seeing him sober. Ever.

Ever since missing last year's MGC, I swore to myself that I'd go next (this) year. I might be helping out and working at the event, too, but the jury's still out on that. Either way, I'm definately going!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

as part of volunteer staff, I can say the Olympia is all booked up.

we are currently looking at getting shuttles to and from Olympia to other hotels.

there seems to be lot going on durring the same time of the show(baseball tourney, and a parade) and most hotels will be booked.

so start looking for other hotels. they(the MGC staff) are planning to list the alternates as soonas we get something locked down.

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

best I was able to get when you factor location, cost, and check-in age was a Super 8 motel in Fort Atkinson, WI, about a 25 mile drive away. I only got it last night, so I'd imagine rooms are still available.

Now that I think about it, I take it free parking is available at the event? Also, there shouldn't be any problem with buying tickets at the door, right?

best I was able to get when you factor location, cost, and check-in age was a Super 8 motel in Fort Atkinson, WI, about a 25 mile drive away. I only got it last night, so I'd imagine rooms are still available.

Now that I think about it, I take it free parking is available at the event? Also, there shouldn't be any problem with buying tickets at the door, right?

the further you go the more will be open,there are couple that have openings that are aprox 12 miles away.

(as mentioned before we(they) are working toward getting some shuttle service from selected hotels,so it's best to wait to see how the shuttle thing is going)

Yes, there's free parking though its all around the convention center. The immediate area by the show doors fills up pretty quick.

And no, there's never any problem with buying tickets at the door.

Well I locked in a hotel, just that this hotel doesn't have as much as the Olympia.

whre you staying at?

as mentioned before,the staff is working out a deal to get transportation from one hotel to the Oylmpia.

I forgot to book my room at the Oymlpia, so I'm waiting to hear what plan they are doing.