IGNORED

give me a reason to keep the 7800

lowscore

I almost forgot about the keyboard attachement Curt Vendel is/was working on. (Dunno the status of it.)

And 5200 vs. 7800... I like the 5200, but something about the graphics puts me off. I think it's the flickering, which doesn't happen on the 7800. The sprites just don't feel "real" (if you can call video game sprites real.)

The 5200 rocks don't get me wrong on that, but the 7800 is the better machine with better games, no debate to be made IMO.

Jetset, if there are two things I know about, it's kicking a man in the anus and making him cry for his biological, and the Atari 7800.

"No Im not on crack." - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

"Centipede is available on the 5200 with graphics more faithful to the arcade, and with the trak-ball, MUCH better control." - Are you aware that the 7800 version of this game features the two player team, and competitve modes? This makes this version of Centipede one of the most desired around... if not THE most desired.

"Robotron, also available on both is better on the 5200 because of the light-years better control (with the dual joystick holder of course which is not available on the 7800 btw" - Really? This game can be played with two controllers as well. Good luck finding two controllers that work. Me? I use two 2600 joysticks with suction cups, or just play it with one controller. By the way, the graphics on the 7800 version doesn't make your eyes bleed

"Ballblazer? Nearly identical on the 5200." - This is what you just said: "Lies? Lies lies lies 5200"

"Speaking of being on crack, I wouldn't be insane enough to give the edge to either controller. If you aren't very good at playing videogames, the 5200 stick is extremely difficult with the non-centering, but the 7800's sticks are as stiff as and ever made, and with the #1 & #2 fire buttons on opposide sides, 2-button games are near impossible to play.

Plus, though you named some great 7800 titles you also mentioned some real stinkers, as well as some that are near impossible to score." Are you not skilled enough at video games to use two buttons on the sides of the joysticks? I will admit most people hate these controllers. I like them. The 7800 also features NES style joypads you can get on ebay for a cheap price. I will admit that Atari didn't make a good controller since the original 2600 version, but the good news is that you can use those on many one button games or use a Sega Genesis controller!!!

"Klax? Stinker" - That's about the funniest thing I've ever read. Name one good 5200 puzzle game

"PLanet Smashers? Stinker" - Not the best game around, I will admit, but it features alot of neat gameplay features some will enjoy including 7 boss fights

"Ace of Aces? Stinker" - Again, not gonna get an arguement from me... but it's got great graphics and it is playable. Very challenging

"DOUBLE DRAGON? MEGA Stinker!" - I don't get you there. I dig the dam thing. Two people at once can kick tons of butt

"And whats with Bonq and Combat 1990? Can you even buy those?" - These are both Homebrews, and yes you can. Bonq is the incredible Q*bert homebrew that will make you throw your 5200 out of a window. It will be for sale soon, or you can play it now on the CC2. Combat 1990 is a fine game avaible at Video 61

"Jeez...the 7800 is a great system...but at least be a little realistic." - If you think the 7800 is a great system, why did you just argue with my points? Everything is subjective, like my opinion that the 5200's shells should be used for fertilizer storage.

I own you

Cousin Vinnie

Why NOT keep the 7800? At the least, it will allow you to play your entire 2600 library, plus the 70 or so titles that are specific to the 7800 itself.

Pac-Man Collection, Joust, Asteroids, Centipede, and several others are awesome additions to anyone's library.

Also, I'd like to anyone use a light gun with the 5200.

I also own both, and I play 2600 titles more often than either 5200 or 7800. Next on the list are the 7800 titles, leaving my 5200 to get some use, but not a lot. The graphics on my 5200 games are just a little too simplistic for my taste (Big 5 games excepted). I expected more out of most of those titles except Qix (which is great, BTW).

No dis to the 5200, though, but do yourself a service and keep that Pro System.

i say sell it

and sell just the 7800 system box to me as im in michigan also :D

If you really want the empty box, i will trade for some decent games for the 7800, if you are serious. I have an extra owners manual too.

:) Or are you just yanking my chain :?:

nope im not yanking your chain, but i dont have any extra 7800 games :(

i just want the box because i bought my system new and stupid me threw the system box away

i have 2600 games to trade tho, if you send me a list of what you have, i could make a list of what i have to give as some of them would be from my personal collection

but i say for real keep the system you will enjoy it, i do and i have all the US released games :D

Edited by Lemmi

i just want the box because i bought my system new and stupid me threw the system box away

i have 2600 games to trade tho, if you send me a list of what you have, i could make a list of what i have to give as some of them would be from my personal collection

but i say for real keep the system you will enjoy it, i do and i have all the US released games :D

That sounds like an interesting proposition. I will make a list and PM you sometime this weekend. BTW, I am pretty sure that it probobly had some foam packing originally. What I got came inside the box wrapped in bubble wrap. I don't want to waste your time if that makes a difference.

Jetset, if there are two things I know about, it's kicking a man in the anus and making him cry for his biological,

Uh...whatever thats supposed to mean :?

and the Atari 7800.

But obviously not the 5200. I happen to have and know both.

"No Im not on crack." - I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

"Centipede is available on the 5200 with graphics more faithful to the arcade, and with the trak-ball, MUCH better control." - Are you aware that the 7800 version of this game features the two player team, and competitve modes? This makes this version of Centipede one of the most desired around... if not THE most desired.

Yes I'm aware of the two player capabilities. Makes for great gaming until you pick up the 7800 sticks of pain and try playing Centipede for more than 30 seconds.

"Robotron, also available on both is better on the 5200 because of the light-years better control (with the dual joystick holder of course which is not available on the 7800 btw" - Really? This game can be played with two controllers as well. Good luck finding two controllers that work. Me? I use two 2600 joysticks with suction cups, or just play it with one controller. By the way, the graphics on the 7800 version doesn't make your eyes bleed

I happen to have 4 working 5200 controllers. Granted sometimes it is hard finding them....oh wait, they're right where I left them...and yes, as I mentioned before having to use 2600 or 3rd party sticks on the 7800 is a must. Thank you for proving my point about the controllers. Oh, and playing Robotron with ONE joystick is about as much fun as playing Kaboom! with a keyboard controller.

Best of all, the graphics on the 5200 don't make your eyes bleed either. Play it once and you might be able to see for yourself.

"Ballblazer? Nearly identical on the 5200." - This is what you just said: "Lies? Lies lies lies 5200"

Um...yes, that is just what I said. And guess what? I posted screenshots to prove it. Go back and read through this thread. Maybe a pair of glasses will help?

"Speaking of being on crack, I wouldn't be insane enough to give the edge to either controller.

Wow. Do I detect a bit of reality coming from you??? NAHHHH!!!

"Klax? Stinker" - That's about the funniest thing I've ever read. Name one good 5200 puzzle game

Uh yeah, stinker. But no...you got me...no puzzle games on the 5200. Wow, what a loss there huh? Only the BEST systems boast PUZZLE games. :roll: (BTW, Klax was also available for the 5200 and possibly still is at atari2600.com but again, Who the hell cares? A PUZZLE GAME????)

Oh wait....you're selling 7800 Klax on ebay. That explains it.

"PLanet Smashers? Stinker" - Not the best game around, I will admit, but it features alot of neat gameplay features some will enjoy including 7 boss fights

Your own website has Planet Smashers under one of your "Worst" categories. 'nuff said there.

"Ace of Aces? Stinker" - Again, not gonna get an arguement from me... but it's got great graphics and it is playable. Very challenging

Translation: Stinker, but I, Cousin Vinnie like it.

"DOUBLE DRAGON? MEGA Stinker!" - I don't get you there. I dig the dam thing. Two people at once can kick tons of butt

Yep. Mega Stinker. Here's the review from Videogamecritic.net;

"Compared to the Nintendo version of this classic fighter, this edition is pathetic. It's not surprising that this was made by Activision, who also inflicted so much pain with the Atari 2600 version. The background graphics are dull. The simple, looping music will drive you mad. The fighters look blocky, but at least they don't flicker. There are about six moves, but the controls are not responsive at all, and only the flying kicks are particularly effective. The backgrounds, which were somewhat interactive in the NES version, are plain and static. There aren't even any barrels to pick up and throw. Sure you'll find a few weapons, but the knife looks more like a big cucumber. In the late 80's, when side-scrolling fighters were the rage, the Atari 7800 faithful missed out in a big way."

I usually dont hold much weight in thier reviews, but they had this one pretty spot on.

"And whats with Bonq and Combat 1990? Can you even buy those?" - These are both Homebrews, and yes you can. Bonq is the incredible Q*bert homebrew that will make you throw your 5200 out of a window. It will be for sale soon, or you can play it now on the CC2. Combat 1990 is a fine game avaible at Video 61

Um..."will be for sale soon" and "yes you can" are two different timeframes. I wouldnt mind a link where you can purchase Combat 1990 though. Please provide in your sure to be here soon reply.

"Jeez...the 7800 is a great system...but at least be a little realistic." - If you think the 7800 is a great system, why did you just argue with my points? Everything is subjective, like my opinion that the 5200's shells should be used for fertilizer storage.

I own you

Cousin Vinnie

Wow.

Some really great closing points there. What are you like 12 years old? :roll:

I argue your points because you're the worst kind of fanboy, one that apparently hasn't ever played the very system he's bashing. I love my BOTH my 5200 AND 7800 but find the 5200 far better is all.

You on the other hand either have never played a 5200 or haven't given it a chance.

Your loss.

EDIT....

Seriously, why has this turned into a flame thread?

Read your own first post in this thread and you'll see why.

Edited by jetset

I'm sorry 5200 fanboys, let's get back to the original point. It seems like we have strayed from the original topic.

Yes, the 7800 is the best home Atari console. There, we are back to the point. I know some people like primitive graphics and broken controllers, but I prefer enhanced graphics and gameplay, backwards compatibility, high score carts, the Cuttle Cart 2, superior Homebrews, etc.

Seriously, why has this turned into a flame thread? Keep the 7800. You won't need a 2600. Keep all three! I wish I had a 5200...

For me to poop on!

Funkmaster V

Who said I'm flaming. I agree with you completely... the 7800 is a far better 70s era game console than the 2600.

I agree with Gregory yet again. The 7800 version of Asteroids is one of the rare titles that actually IS superior on the 7800 than the 5200.

I disagree with him about the graphics. The 7800 has washed out colors and feels flat and dull. The 5200 has sparkly, vibrant, vivid colors and seems slick, polished, and sharp.

The Team play options on the 7800 titles DO make up for the generally lackluster gameplay on Centipede, and add a neat dimension to Asteroids.

I can brush my teeth, take a NAP, and cook a 4 course dinner while playing 7800 Robotron, though. The 5200 version may not be as pretty, but it is far more fun.

Jetset, if there are two things I know about, it's LICKING a man's anus and making him cry for his biological,

Is what he meant to say...

0wN3d!

:D

Uh yeah, stinker. But no...you got me...no puzzle games on the 5200. Wow, what a loss there huh? Only the BEST systems boast PUZZLE games. icon_rolleyes.gif (BTW, Klax was also available for the 5200 and possibly still is at atari2600.com but again, Who the hell cares? A PUZZLE GAME????)

Oh wait....you're selling 7800 Klax on ebay. That explains it.

Qix. Best home version ever. Puzzle game. I've got the arcade version via a Mame cabinet. I prefer the 5200 version. Same thing with Space Dungeon.

Edited by Paranoid

That sounds like an interesting proposition. I will make a list and PM you sometime this weekend. BTW, I am pretty sure that it probobly had some foam packing originally. What I got came inside the box wrapped in bubble wrap. I don't want to waste your time if that makes a difference.

sounds good, how does the box look? is it all beat up and torn? could you take a picture of it? if it is to beat up i might have to pass :)

the foam would be awesome but i would be happy at this point for just a nice looking box as they are very flimsy and tear easy, i have 3 systems and i could probably fit my loose 2 extras inside it, i did the same with 2 of my TG-16 systems, i kept the box but threw away the insides

Jetset, if there are two things I know about, it's kicking a man in the anus and making him cry for his biological,

Uh...whatever thats supposed to mean :?

Bend over and I'll show you.

I think Klax and Double Dragon are good games. I think Aces of Aces is OK... but I really haven't liked playing it as an adult. Ballblazer looks tons better on the 7800. To be honest I have never played Robotron on the 5200, so I will give you that one... but with COMPATIBLE 2600 sticks the game is fine on the 7800. At least with the 7800 you have lots of controller options. Planet Smashers' graphics and sound sucks butt, but the game isn't that bad. That game also is featured on one of my Best lists too.

I have a copy of Q*bert (Bonq). It is 99% done and amazing. I will buy the released version as well.

Combat 1990 is available at http://members.tcq.net/video61/index.html

Woot

Your mom

Jetset, if there are two things I know about, it's LICKING a man's anus and making him cry for his biological,

Is what he meant to say...

0wN3d!

You get a timeout for that one.

Is Qix a puzzle game? Hmmmmmmm.... I wouldn't think it would be but maybe it is. I would think its more of an action game... but hell. Whatever you 5200 guys say. You guys are convinced that a round ball on the 7800 is the same thing as a hexagon on the 5200, so sure. Qix is a puzzle RPG race game. Whatever you need.

The day I use 0wN3d! in a post, please shoot me in the back of the head

Boston's Assistant DA

Bend over and I'll show you.

DON'T pick up the soap, Jetset...

Um... Double Dragon is kind of an example of what I'm talking about. The dawn of the 16 bit era, only, on an 8 bit console. Muscle-heads with mullets fighting endless Ninjas. Maybe it is just a generational thing. Oh wait... I'm thinking of Bad Dudes. Double Dragon is basically the same thing, though. For me, games like Double Dragon and Bad Dudes kind of mark the beginning of the end. And the 7800 seems about as capable at these kind of titles as the SMS... or, less so than the NES.

Klax is pretty cool. I believe there is a proto of Klax available for the 5200. But it isn't worth it, if I recall. The 7800 is the console to play this one on. Qix is a more enjoyable puzzle game, to me... or even um... hell... 2600 Quadrun has more replay value than Klax, to me... but, you know... some people like Tetris, some people like Soduku.

In my defense... you'll note...

hell... 2600 Quadrun has more replay value than Klax, to me... but, you know... some people like Tetris, some people like Soduku.

I played Klax once, went, "That is pretty cool" and I may have gone back to it a couple of times since.

Quadrun engaged me for awhile, though... although it ramps up in difficulty too quickly, IMO.

QIX, I love.

To me, Klax was cool. I played it on another platform where I could compare it to Columns. It's hard to pick a favorite between the two, but they kick the snot out of Tetris.

I don't consider Qix a puzzle game, and here's why: A puzzle game typically moves just fast enough to be challenging, but usually don't require two handed play.

Klax on the Lynx... Perfect translation and a fun game.

Klax on the 7800... Pretty good. Lacks some of the character of the arcade (no voice.)

Klax on the 5200... It's a homebrew, not a proto. The author tried to "cheat" with the perspective so it's not as good as it could have been.

As for Double Dragon... I don't think there's ever been a good/accurate translation of the arcade game (not that the original is anything to write home about.) The 7800 is definitely lacking something, even though the graphics are some of the most detailed on the system.

I prefer the 5200 versions of most of the games, but I would never get rid of my 7800. With all of the new development, it's finally really worth owning IMHO. For a while there, I was hardly plaing it at all....then there was Pac-Man Collection :lust:

I don't really use my 7800 for VCS games because the Kroko cart doesn't work properly on a 7800 :|

I dont know...maybe next to the picture of the 7800 sticks covered with dust because they're so stiff and unplayable most people use thier 2600 sticks or an alternative?

(raising his hand to be counted among these) I've got DIY RSI SI sticks for both my 5200 and my 7800... so as far as I can tell, the controllers are the same on both consoles. :)

Gregory DC is right... the 5200 proto of 5200 (or the 8 bit PC version) shouldn't even be counted as Xevious. The 7800 version is a good one. Tower Toppler is a gem in the 7800 crown (which is, altogether, based on it's native library alone, a rather rusty crown without a lot of jewels).

Joust... the graphics are far better than the 5200 version, but the gameplay itself has that lackluster feeling, IMO.

There is an active homebrew community for it. Which is good. There are a lot of "Age of Cheesy 80s Crap" era games. Skate games... stuff that reeks of the "Fat Boys, Cindy Lauper on WWF", etc... marketing of that time. Which is, to me... bad.

But yeah... the CC2... Supercharger, High Score Cart, every 2600 and 7800 game ever, downloaded off the net, on one cartridge, on one console, goodness. It is the 24k gold electroplating for the 7800. :)

Amen. I agree 100% and own a CC2 :) I typically ignore any of the 7800 games except for the original (and amazing) round of initial Atari arcade ports and the new homebrews (Beef Drop and the Pac-Man variants)

Without a CC2, it's still a keeper for Food Fight, 2 player simultaneous Centipede, and 2 player simultaneous Asteroids alone.

2 player "team mode" 7800 centipede is the best way to introduce a newbie to classic games, by the way. Even if the new player runs out of lives, if the other player gets enough points extra life, it brings the new player back to life! Brilliant!