IGNORED

give me a reason to keep the 7800

lowscore

It's the best damn atari console there is.

Gwaah aha haah aha hahahahahaahahahahahahahaahaaaa

Sell it unless your a collector, you won't be sorry.

Then why did you just buy one?

Play some Ninja Golf, Midnight Mutants or Food Fight and you'll see why the 7800 is praised...

Edited by ApolloBoy

Play some Ninja Golf, Midnight Mutants or Food Fight and you'll see why the 7800 is praised...

Because i am a collector, i have 3 of them and I have Food fight and I have Midnight mutants and both games suck, and out of the games I just got only Commando is any good. The 7800 is the biggest pile of atari crap for me because it has the worst good game to bad game ratio of any system out of the 26 games I own, only 2 are any good, Commando and Dark Chambers, and damn I wanted so much to like moto psycho but the frame rate kills this game, and Fatal Run is ok, but repetative, a few games are so-so, but all in all, the 7800 will sit on it's shelf and rarely ever be used.

Edited by JagFan422

Because i am a collector, i have 3 of them and I have Food fight and I have Midnight mutants and both games suck, and out of the games I just got only Commando is any good. The 7800 is the biggest pile of atari crap for me because it has the worst good game to bad game ratio of any system out of the 26 games I own, only 2 are any good, Commando and Dark Chambers, and damn I wanted so much to like moto psycho but the frame rate kills this game, and Fatal Run is ok, but repetative, a few games are so-so, but all in all, the 7800 will sit on it's shelf and rarely ever be used.

Nettiquette 101, Jagfan -- express opinions as opinions.

You may not like "Midnight Mutants", but it's your personal, subjective opinion that it "sucks", not "fact".

Edited by DracIsBack

If they are really that bad why collect 3? surely you could sell 2 of them and buy a jag game or a working 5800 stick

you will pi$$ O££ a lot of 5800 fanboys :D

:ponder:

133+ 7800 D00DZ! teh 5800 is teh sUx0rZ!

Really, I think that says all that needs to be said about the 7800 demographic. :D

sorry didnt understand you sir :D

I'll give you a couple reasons to hang on to the 7800:

1. The controllers self center, and are semi useable right out of the box.

2. 70% of all 2600 games work flawlessly right out of the box, another 20% or so can be crammed into the slot to work, and the rest may or may not work at all. By contrast, the 5200 can play 0% of the 2600 library out of the box.

3. The 7800 can use the exact same switchbox your 2600 did. Yeah, you need a new power adapter, but the 5200 doesn't work with an unmodded 2600 power adapter, either.

4. The games have end labels, so you don't have to dig through the stack.

5. You don't have to hunt up overlays for 7800 games. I have only one 5200 cart that has two overlays, and a handful that have one each.

6. The 7800 has its own light gun, plus three others that work with it.

Either the backwards compatibility or the controllers would, by themselves, put me squarely into the 7800 camp. The rest is just nitpicky stuff, well, unless you've got a 4 port 5200 with no switchbox.

Still, though, I feel like it's better for a gamer to be able to play his Atari system as it is without having to fight the controllers and power circuit or buy a bunch of third party hardware to deal with the system's shortcomings.

My bad, I've argued the opinion that the 7800 is the better system (which is not necessarily the case), not why you should keep one. I think I said this before, but you should keep the 7800 for the same reason I should keep my 5200--to enjoy the games and the characteristics of the system and its games as a whole. I've found I liked Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back. If those were the only two games I liked on the 5200, I'd still want to keep the system to play them. So if Commando and Dark Chambers are the only two games you like on the 7800, those are your reasons right there.

All that aside, yes I do plan to build a 5200 collection. I've got 17 games and enough hardware to play them.

I don't normally post into these topics, though...

My bad, I've argued the opinion that the 7800 is the better system (which is not necessarily the case), not why you should keep one. I think I said this before, but you should keep the 7800 for the same reason I should keep my 5200--to enjoy the games and the characteristics of the system and its games as a whole. I've found I liked Miner 2049er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back. If those were the only two games I liked on the 5200, I'd still want to keep the system to play them. So if Commando and Dark Chambers are the only two games you like on the 7800, those are your reasons right there.

You were *almost* about to get an earfull from me until you pulled off this remarkable landing, Shadow. :) Good job...

I *would* argue that while the 5200 suffers from quirky hardware and design, the 7800 suffers from quirky *games*. Once you overcome the limitations of the 5200 hardware, the GAMES are almost all extraordinary. I also think the prolines suck balls. I'd rather have to clean the flex pads on a 5200 daily than have to play for any extended length on the Proline torture devices. :)

But, the 7800 has some interesting native titles, one of the best Ms. Pac Man versions available, and with a CC2, becomes two consoles in one with a nearly limitless supply of classic titles that are truly classics in every sense of the world. It is compact, and one of my favorite retro consoles. Like almost all Atari consoles, it is a give and take thing.

The thing is, I hate playing emulation with d-pads or thumbsticks, so I can't imagine that the "classic retro arcade" titles that make up the core of the 7800 library would be any more fun with the Euro 7800 controllers than on a Logitech rumblepad on a PC doing 7800 emulation... if you get my drift.

The library mostly has games designed for a JOYSTICK. And then the 2600 library is ALL oriented toward a STICK controller. So the 7800 europad isn't the answer... generally, you can get away with a regular CX46 stick as the "BEST" alternative, but because of the occasional two button controller game, you're really left with the dismal choice of having the EuroPad or the proline...

Which is why I prefer the DIY RSI 7800 conversion as a stick alternative for 7800 gameplay. It is really the BEST stick for the 7800, and fortunately, not too damn hard to make yourself.

If you *are* a dpad person, I guess the europad might be a good solution for you. Most of the hardcore retrogamers who grew up in the classic era of gaming seem to share my general opinion here, though, and don't like the euro pads either.

you will pi$$ O££ a lot of 5800 fanboys :D

:ponder:

133+ 7800 D00DZ! teh 5800 is teh sUx0rZ!

Really, I think that says all that needs to be said about the 7800 demographic. :D

LOL. I really like both because they both have good arcade ports and interesting original games. The 7800 does edge out a bit though, for obvious reasons.

If they are really that bad why collect 3? surely you could sell 2 of them and buy a jag game or a working 5800 stick

I have working Joysticks for the 5200 thank you :), because i'm a collector, there's times you just can't pass up on something, like the 7800 i bought for $2, couldn't pass up. I already had 1 to begin with, and then the 3rd one with all the stuff, i could not pass it up. The main question was about giving a reason to keep the 7800, and if your not a collector, then there's really no reason to keep it. MY OPINION is that the games are not enjoyable enough to keep it around especially if you already have a 2600 and 5200.

The main question was about giving a reason to keep the 7800, and if your not a collector, then there's really no reason to keep it. MY OPINION is that the games are not enjoyable enough to keep it around especially if you already have a 2600 and 5200.

At least you said "MY OPINION" this time, which is progress. :P

My opinion is that there are games that I totally love for that machine and it's well worth it to keep around, especially if you have a Cuttle Cart 2.

The thing is, that the 7800 supports the CC2. If you're a *gamer*, it isn't worth having a 2600, and searching for all of the titles as individual carts, when you can have EVERY cart *ever*, plus just about any new homebrew, on original hardware, with a CC2, without the hassle, clutter and expense.

That is the REAL reason to have a 7800, and the real reason NOT to have a 2600. My 2600 has been in storage and is likely to remain there, ever since I got my 7800 and CC2.

So the 7800 has a use... it just isn't primarily as a 7800. As a "retro next-gen" console, it wasn't very exciting when it was released, and by today's standards, there aren't a lot of exclusive titles for the console that make it a "must have", in my opinion. Tastes are subjective, of course. But I'd rather play most of the 7800 library on MAME using the arcade original ROM images than the 7800 versions. If it had been released when originally intended, it would have been a revolutionary platform, for sure. But it wasn't.

Finally, I still maintain that the 5200 almost always has more engaging versions of the same game, bit for bit, pixle for pixle. The graphics on the 5200 approach the 7800 as far as retro-classics are concerned, and it just seems like the hardware does what it is supposed to "better". The 7800 titles all seem rushed, unfinished, not very well playtested. With the short run of the 7800, compared to how long people had to learn tricks on the 5200 hardware (if you extend it to the 400 and 800)... it is no wonder. It really isn't fair to expect the 7800 to show the refinement that the 5200 had. Maybe that is a star *for* the 7800, that it is able to compete with the 5200 at all, and occasionally (rarely) even better it.

I just ordered a couple of games for the 7800 since the chances of ever getting my hands on a CC2 are next to nil. Maybe this has already been covered, but is their a 7800 specific multi-cart, like the many mult-carts I have seen for the 2600?

I ordered Midnight Mutants and Ninja Golf because they seemed quite unusual, and also non-existent on other platforms. If I like these games, I will probably keep the console.

Is there any need to get the Pac-Man Collection if I have a half dozen official, hack and conversion roms already for the 5200? I have no quarrel with the controllers, as I have freshly rebuilt ones; so other than that, do I really need to bother with the collection for 7800?

The 5200 Ms. Pac Man is not to be missed. A very good version.

If you're a Pac Man fan, it is worth it.

Do this, grab the Pac Man Collection rom image here, on the forum...

Download a 7800 emulator...

And see if you like it enough to buy it.

What 7800 emulator do you recommend?

The real thing. Actually, I used ProSystem EMU while I was waiting for my very own specimen of the ultimate Atari console to arrive.

Hey, JagFan, are Commando and Dark Chambers wearing out already?

I had to enter my rant on the 5200, though. I really did--that, uh thing got me so irate the other day that I couldn't see straight. After a day to concentrate on other stuff, though, I was able to come back and enjoy some games as usual.

Perhaps I should have said earlier that I was planted firmly in the VCS camp instead. I grew up with one of those around, and it was always fun to play.

Edited by shadow460

What 7800 emulator do you recommend?

Prosystem 1.1