IGNORED

give me a reason to keep the 7800

lowscore

I acquired a 7800 with Karateka and PPII in a lot of 5200 stuff. It is very clean and like new with the box, but I really don't want/need it, as I have around 150 2600 games and several nice Stella consoles, as well as a 5200 with a 70% full USB multi-cart.

Someone please give me a good reason to keep it, or I am going to trade it/sell it for more 2600 stuff.

Anybody...Anybody...

The 7800 is an acquired taste. There are some really good titles for it, but if you already have a 5200, some of the 7800's best titles can be had for the 5200, and with many of those it can be easily argued that the 5200 version is actually better, or at least as good. Of course, I'm a big 5200 fan(boy) :D myself.

Why not download an emulator such as MESS, and test out some of the 7800 games first before you ditch the system?

Besides...it's a classic Atari system. that alone is reason enough to keep it. ;-)

Um...

It's the best home Atari console. It plays all the 2600 games. There are about 30 good/ great titles for it. The guy that said the best 7800 games are availible for the 5200 is on crack. There is now an awesome homebrew scene for the system. The controllers are better for the 7800 than the 5200. The graphics are better on the 7800 than the 5200

37 Great/ Good games for the 7800 (This is subjective, but I think all of these are OK and this is just off the top of my head)

Asteroids

Alien Brigade

Pac Man Collection

Desert Falcon

Ninja Golf

Beef Drop

Bonq (Qbert)

Food Fight

Xevious

Galaga

Donkey Kong Jr

Fatal Run

Rampage

Robotron

Basketbrawl

Scrap Yard Dog

Possible Mission

Klax

Combat 1990

Pac Nestor

Dual Pac Man

Joust

Super Skateboardin

Double Dragon

Winter Games

Ballblazer

Meltdown

Ikari Warriors

Commando

One on One

Crossbow

Tower Toppler

Mean 18

Ace of Aces

Midnight Mutants

Planet Smashers

Sentinel

Centipede

Eat It. Live It. Stroke. Haven't you heard, Fruit-Snack? It's the system the PROs use

Cousin Vinnie

Edited by Cousin Vinnie

Um...

It's the best home Atari console. It plays all the 2600 games. There are about 30 good/ great titles for it. The guy that said the best 7800 games are availible for the 5200 is on crack. There is now an awesome homebrew scene for the system. The controllers are better for the 7800 than the 5200. The graphics are better on the 7800 than the 5200

37 Great/ Good games for the 7800 (This is subjective, but I think all of these are OK and this is just off the top of my head)

Asteroids

Alien Brigade

Pac Man Collection

Desert Falcon

Ninja Golf

Beef Drop

Bonq (Qbert)

Food Fight

Xevious

Galaga

Donkey Kong Jr

Fatal Run

Rampage

Robotron

Basketbrawl

Scrap Yard Dog

Possible Mission

Klax

Combat 1990

Pac Nestor

Dual Pac Man

Joust

Super Skateboardin

Double Dragon

Winter Games

Ballblazer

Meltdown

Ikari Warriors

Commando

One on One

Crossbow

Tower Toppler

Mean 18

Ace of Aces

Midnight Mutants

Planet Smashers

Sentinel

Centipede

Eat It. Live It. Stroke. Haven't you heard, Fruit-Snack? It's the system the PROs use

Cousin Vinnie

No Im not on crack.

Centipede is available on the 5200 with graphics more faithful to the arcade, and with the trak-ball, MUCH better control.

Robotron, also available on both is better on the 5200 because of the light-years better control (with the dual joystick holder of course which is not available on the 7800 btw).

Ballblazer? Nearly identical on the 5200.

Speaking of being on crack, I wouldn't be insane enough to give the edge to either controller. If you aren't very good at playing videogames, the 5200 stick is extremely difficult with the non-centering, but the 7800's sticks are as stiff as and ever made, and with the #1 & #2 fire buttons on opposide sides, 2-button games are near impossible to play.

Plus, though you named some great 7800 titles you also mentioned some real stinkers, as well as some that are near impossible to score.

Klax? Stinker

PLanet Smashers? Stinker

Ace of Aces? Stinker

DOUBLE DRAGON? MEGA Stinker!

And whats with Bonq and Combat 1990? Can you even buy those?

Jeez...the 7800 is a great system...but at least be a little realistic. :roll:

Edited by jetset

Ballblazer? nearly identical on the 5200.

ya your right, the 7800 version has way better GFX.

Plus, though you named some great 7800 titles you also mentioned some real stinkers, as well as some that are near impossible to score.

Man I hear ya Cuz!! These ones you listed below are great!!

Klax? Stinker AWESOME

PLanet Smashers? stinker AWESOME

Ace of Aces? Stinker

DOUBLE DRAGON? MEGA Stinker! ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER!!

And whats with Bonq and Combat 1990? Can you even buy those? Man I wish I would have scouped up a personalized Combat 1990 when I could have :(

Jeez...the 7800 is a great system...but at least be a little realistic. :roll:

Vinnie Vineyard, you sure know your 7800 stuff!!

There I fixed it. ;)

Wow, such passion!

Regardless of weighing the benefits of playing Atari on or off crack, I appreciate the diverse input and the sheer volume of responses, which tells me it probably would be in my favor to keep the 7800, but the jury is still out.

Can I use my 2600 trak-ball to better effect on the 7800 than I could on the 2600? Did they even make TB specific games for the 7800. (I understand it does not have its own trak-ball, but I could be mis-informed.)

I prefer red wine to crack when I play.

Wow, such passion!

Regardless of weighing the benefits of playing Atari on or off crack, I appreciate the diverse input and the sheer volume of responses, which tells me it probably would be in my favor to keep the 7800, but the jury is still out.

Can I use my 2600 trak-ball to better effect on the 7800 than I could on the 2600? Did they even make TB specific games for the 7800. (I understand it does not have its own trak-ball, but I could be mis-informed.)

I prefer red wine to crack when I play.

There is a trackball version of 7800 centepede but it was a hack not an retail release. You would have to talk to the games re-programmer to ask him to make you a copy. I think it was AA user "Bruce Tomlin" that made it.

I just wonder how much of the 7800 bias is genuine and how much has to do with who's selling what.

:ponder:

Oh, and...

There I fixed it. ;)

HUH? :?

5200 Ballblazer

s_Ballblazer_3.png

7800 Ballblazer

s_Ballblazer_3.png

Edited by jetset

I just wonder how much of the 7800 bias is genuine and how much has to do with who's selling what.

:ponder:

Oh, and...

There I fixed it. ;)

HUH? :?

5200 Ballblazer

s_Ballblazer_3.png

7800 Ballblazer

s_Ballblazer_3.png

Where's the picture of the broken 5200 controller that makes the gameplay harder and less inviting?

Edited by Atarifever

You can't see the superior graphics on the 7800 version, Jetset? You must be blind. Clearly the ball is ROUND (sorta) on the 7800 version. What, do you have your head stuck in the sand?

Probably to drown out the fact that without a Pokey, the 7800 is capable of making music and sounds that can cause your head to implode.

Yet again, we agree about something. This is getting scary.

Let's also mention that 5200 games seem to have a better pace, tempo and excitement level than their 7800 counterparts, although this is a matter of personal preference.

The 5200 is a far better console than the 7800. (warning/disclaimer, I am a 5200 fanboy. 7800 fanboys, let's not get into a pointless argument over our completely arbitrary feelings. Besides, it is futile to argue with me when I'm right, Just ask Jetset). :D

The *reason* to own a 7800 is that with a CC2, you can enjoy some of the earliest most faithful ports of a handful of classic games in 7800 native mode as *well* as having access to the entire 2600 library, on one cartridge. It is like a FB2 on steroids. Any modern gamer/collector interested in the 2600 library should just get a 7800, if possible. Even without a CC2, it still is a great way to consolidate your real estate and get two consoles for the price of one, in the footprint of one console.

Edited by Paranoid

By the way, to be fair:

LOL!

Because what the world was really waiting for were mildly graphically enhanced versions of Kaboom! and Pitfall!

I'm not sure I even get what those images are about? Are those 2600 versions and 7800 versions?

Even if they're 5200 versions... I'd have to say the problem with this comparisson is...

I think of those games as 2600 games, and generally speaking, I want to play them ON a 2600 (7800). River Raid, too.

My wife never had a 2600... she had a 5200. She prefers the 5200 version. These are nostalgia titles. You want them on the console you remember.

The only real exception to this that I can think of is Pitfall 2... which has the enhanced second level on the 5200.

Where's the picture of the broken 5200 controller that makes the gameplay harder and less inviting?

I dont know...maybe next to the picture of the 7800 sticks covered with dust because they're so stiff and unplayable most people use thier 2600 sticks or an alternative?

I can't remember the last time I actually played a 2600 (and I have 3 of them.) I keep my 7800 out at all times though. Yes, the CC2 is one of the best reasons to own one. It's just so nice having 600+ games at your fingertips. And let's not forget the High Score cartridge and Supercharger capability that's built into the CC2.

It's got quite a few unique games not available on the 5200. Like Tower Toppler, Food Fight, Ikari Warriors, Commando, Xevious, Midnight Mutants, Scrapyard Dog, Desert Falcon, Xenophobe, Super Skateboardin', One on One, Pete Rose Baseball, Dark Chambers, Kung Fu Master, as well as others.

And Joust is probably the best home version ever made. Same goes for Ms. Pac-Man and the great hacks of it Bob has made (aka Pac-Man Collection.)

And there are some killer homebrew out/coming out like Beef Drop, BonQ, & Froggie. Hopefully Tubes will get finished one day. That's a pretty good puzzle game. And there was the Christmas game that came out this year called Santa Simon and the new Trotter cart that's going to get bounced around. So there's some good homebrew stuff starting up for the 7800. You wouldn't want to miss it now would you? :D

I dont know...maybe next to the picture of the 7800 sticks covered with dust because they're so stiff and unplayable most people use thier 2600 sticks or an alternative?

(raising his hand to be counted among these) I've got DIY RSI SI sticks for both my 5200 and my 7800... so as far as I can tell, the controllers are the same on both consoles. :)

Gregory DC is right... the 5200 proto of 5200 (or the 8 bit PC version) shouldn't even be counted as Xevious. The 7800 version is a good one. Tower Toppler is a gem in the 7800 crown (which is, altogether, based on it's native library alone, a rather rusty crown without a lot of jewels).

Joust... the graphics are far better than the 5200 version, but the gameplay itself has that lackluster feeling, IMO.

There is an active homebrew community for it. Which is good. There are a lot of "Age of Cheesy 80s Crap" era games. Skate games... stuff that reeks of the "Fat Boys, Cindy Lauper on WWF", etc... marketing of that time. Which is, to me... bad.

But yeah... the CC2... Supercharger, High Score Cart, every 2600 and 7800 game ever, downloaded off the net, on one cartridge, on one console, goodness. It is the 24k gold electroplating for the 7800. :)

I'm sorry 5200 fanboys, let's get back to the original point. It seems like we have strayed from the original topic.

Yes, the 7800 is the best home Atari console. There, we are back to the point. I know some people like primitive graphics and broken controllers, but I prefer enhanced graphics and gameplay, backwards compatibility, high score carts, the Cuttle Cart 2, superior Homebrews, etc.

Seriously, why has this turned into a flame thread? Keep the 7800. You won't need a 2600. Keep all three! I wish I had a 5200...

For me to poop on!

Funkmaster V

I almost forgot about the keyboard attachement Curt Vendel is/was working on. (Dunno the status of it.)

And 5200 vs. 7800... I like the 5200, but something about the graphics puts me off. I think it's the flickering, which doesn't happen on the 7800. The sprites just don't feel "real" (if you can call video game sprites real.)

Edit: Oh, and I forgot about Asteroids. Probably the most fun home version available. :D

Edited by Gregory DG