IGNORED

give me a reason to keep the 7800

lowscore

I acquired a 7800 with Karateka and PPII in a lot of 5200 stuff. It is very clean and like new with the box, but I really don't want/need it, as I have around 150 2600 games and several nice Stella consoles, as well as a 5200 with a 70% full USB multi-cart.

Someone please give me a good reason to keep it, or I am going to trade it/sell it for more 2600 stuff.

Anybody...Anybody...

Besides...it's a classic Atari system. that alone is reason enough to keep it. ;-)

Well said, Jetset! I think the 7800 is well worth keeping for some of the games and because it seems like the 7800 homebrew scene is starting to ..... brew. :ponder:

Another good reason to keep it is that there is no compelling reason to get rid of it. Although, your clean, boxed system would probably fetch toward the upper end of the market value, you're still not looking at that many bucks.

I can imagine that one day you might say 'Oh man, I wish I had kept that 7800', but I really can't imagine a case when you'd say, 'Oh man, I wish I'd gotten rid of it!'

:cool:

The main question was about giving a reason to keep the 7800, and if your not a collector, then there's really no reason to keep it. MY OPINION is that the games are not enjoyable enough to keep it around especially if you already have a 2600 and 5200.

At least you said "MY OPINION" this time, which is progress. :P

My opinion is that there are games that I totally love for that machine and it's well worth it to keep around, especially if you have a Cuttle Cart 2.

What do you like for this system. Please tell me, out of the 26 games I own, i need something "good" for this. Please don't get me wrong, i had one of these when my 2600 broke back when i was like 10 years old, but i had a slew of 2600 games already and i think i may have had only 2 or 3 7800 games, so my experience truely comes from the games i've acquired, and even games that I like on other systems, Rampage, Xenophobe, truely suck on the 7800 though I have to admire the devs. for at least trying, Rampage from the devs standpoint is great, but just not all that fun. I don't want to hate this system, but i have no reason not to with what I own, and back in the day when i had both the 7800 and NES, guess what i was playing the most...the NES, 7800 has nothing on the NES.

So what do you recommend, what should I look to buy?

What do you like for this system. Please tell me, out of the 26 games I own, i need something "good" for this. Please don't get me wrong, i had one of these when my 2600 broke back when i was like 10 years old, but i had a slew of 2600 games already and i think i may have had only 2 or 3 7800 games, so my experience truely comes from the games i've acquired, and even games that I like on other systems, Rampage, Xenophobe, truely suck on the 7800 though I have to admire the devs. for at least trying, Rampage from the devs standpoint is great, but just not all that fun. I don't want to hate this system, but i have no reason not to with what I own, and back in the day when i had both the 7800 and NES, guess what i was playing the most...the NES, 7800 has nothing on the NES.

From an 8-bit perspective, I own an NES and an SMS as well. I simply play the games I like on all three. Even without it, I liked the mix that the 7800 had. Out of the box 2600 compatibility with all the games I liked on that system. Good translations of arcade classics (not as many as the 5200, but still a fair number). A mix of computer games that I liked. And some NES/SMS style games on top. A brought mix. Then, throw in the Cuttle Cart 2. having the Cuttle Cart 2 has boosted everything. I can play any 2600 game, any 7800 game, any unreleased prototype, any homebrew, any hack, any experiment and I love it. I have no "Cuttle Cart 2" on the NES or SMS.

In terms of games, I liked

Alien Brigade (Great graphics and I like shooters)

Ballblazer (natch)

Basketbrawl (some flaws, but I enjoyed it)

Commando (great port, IMO)

Crossbow

Double Dragon (though the [port should have been WAY better -- I'd have given it to the guys who did Commando)

Food Fight

Klax

Ikari Warriors (ok port, better than DD, IMO. Same software house but better job)

Joust

Mario Bros (depsite the sound)

Midnight Mutants (I *Love* this game and this style of game. I actually bought a 7800 again to play this again)

Ms Pac Man

Robotron 2084

Scapyard Dog (though friggen hard in spots)

Summer Games

Super Skateboarding

Tower Toppler

Winter Games

Xevious (The first game I loved on that system and also a reason I bought it again)

Xenophobe (I hate this as a one player game, but enjoy it as a two player)

I also like some of the newer stuff like Beef Drop and BonQ.

For the record, I can't stand Rampage in general. I don't know why but I've tried to like this game. I even have it on the NES and SMS as well. I've also owned the 2600 and XE versions and the Co Co 3 version. No matter which version I play, even as the graphics vary, they all have the same problem, IMO .... BORING!!!!! After a few dozens cities, it's like "Snnoooze". No offense to Rampage gans.

but 7800 centepede is pretty damn good, especially with 2 players.

You should get a CX-80 Trak-Ball and find a way to get Kenfused's Centipede-TB running (either with a CC2 or make your own cart.) It's damn near arcade perfect.

Also - the Big reason to keep the 7800 is the homebrew/hack scene. Pac-Man Collection, Beef Drop, Q-Bert, Frogger, and a few others in the works.

I recieved boxed Midnight Mutants and Ninja Golf from Atari2600.com today. I am having a wonderful time with Mutants. I wish all horror themed games for Atari were this fun. I also picked up a loose Food Fight from the local Game Hits. Thanks for the huge response of advice, encouragement, discouragement, rants, tirades, etc. I know the console is worth keeping if so many people have passionate opinions about it. Thanks to all!

Edited by lowscore

I recieved boxed Midnight Mutants and Ninja Golf from Atari2600.com today. I am having a wonderful time with Mutants. I wish all horror themed games for Atari were this fun. I also picked up a loose Food Fight from the local Game Hits. Thanks for the huge response of advice, encouragement, discouragement, rants, tirades, etc. I know the console is worth keeping if so many people have passionate opinions about it. Thanks to all!

Heh, well, if you don't mind one more 'rant'... Many years ago, I bought a 7800 from a 'friend' that turned out to be dead....(sorry, the 7800 was dead. I think the friend lived :P ) I was pretty upset. Fast Forward like 10 years and found a very dusty 7800 lying in a corner of a vintage toy store, it came with like 10 7800 games, went home, hooked it up, and played Food Fight for about 2 hours straight, it was my fist time playing that game :cool: Then Desert Falcon, Winter Games, lots of Xevious, etc. Basically, tho I guess the 2600 will always be my favorite, I adore the 7800! I'm glad you decided to keep it....

• 2 weeks later...

7800 rules....next to my Jaguar that is!!!...shit..might as well make it a three way fight...

:D

LOL - we Jaguar owners have a different kind of inferiority complex than 5200 owners or 7800 owners and different ways of dealing with it.

5200 owners deal with it by going out of their way to cut down the 7800.

7800 owners deal with it by telling the 5200 owners to shut up and grow up

Jaguar owners deal with it by coming up with lengthy arguments as to why the Jaguar is a 64-bit system and why magazines like EGM were biased.

As a "we" though, I'm an owner of 7800, Jaguar, XEGS and looking for a 5200. So all is relative. ;-)

Edited by DracIsBack

7800 rules....next to my Jaguar that is!!!...shit..might as well make it a three way fight...

LOL - we Jaguar owners have a different kind of inferiority complex than 5200 owners or 7800 owners and different ways of dealing with it.

Jaguar owners deal with it by coming up with lengthy arguments as to why the Jaguar is a 64-bit system and why magazines like EGM were biased.

As a "we" though, I'm an owner of 7800, Jaguar, XEGS and looking for a 5200. So all is relative. ;-)

:rolling:

• 2 weeks later...

:rolling:

If your a fan of Arcade games, the 7800 is the way to go. It has the best home ports of Ms. Pacman, best Joust, best Centipede, best Pole Position, best Xevious, best Asteroids. best Donkey Kong, best Donkey Kong Jr, If you like original games, seek another console. Thankyou very much.

• 1 month later...

Hallaluia! I found the reason!

7800 centipede, team play with the Old Lady. Being a gentleman, I let her use the awesome Wico trak-ball while I used the iffy Atari ball in joystick mode. We did this instead of going out on Saturday. She must have hit reset 200 times. It was the most fun I have had since the roller rink at 11 years old. This is just the best version I have played of this game since then. Yay for the Pro-System! We feel like Pros!

Yea! We win!!! 5200 and Jag fanboys LOSE!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Cousin Vinnie

7800 centipede, team play with the Old Lady. Being a gentleman, I let her use the awesome Wico trak-ball while I used the iffy Atari ball in joystick mode. We did this instead of going out on Saturday. She must have hit reset 200 times. It was the most fun I have had since the roller rink at 11 years old. This is just the best version I have played of this game since then. Yay for the Pro-System! We feel like Pros!

If you like the normal version, you'll love the trackball version by kenfused.

You will need someone to make a cart for you or a CC2 to play it. It works with the Atari Trackball in trackball mode. Makes the controls like the arcade.

I own all those, a 400(great gorf version) a Lynx an ST and a number of games for them.

I love my Atari's and I make no sorries.

BTW, I'd totally hate to part with my 7800.

Edited by Gorf

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Cousin Vinnie

Who gives a shit about fanboyism, especially when it involves old video game systems?

There, I said it. Sorry if I offended anyone, but that's honestly how I feel about fanboyism towards classic game systems. It's pointless.

7800 Woooooooooo!!!! I have it tattooed on my FACE! 7800! 7800! 7800! GOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD YEAAAAAAAH!!! Feel it! Feel it!

Cousin Vinnie

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Cousin Vinnie

Who gives a shit about fanboyism, especially when it involves old video game systems?

There, I said it. Sorry if I offended anyone, but that's honestly how I feel about fanboyism towards classic game systems. It's pointless.

7800 Woooooooooo!!!! I have it tattooed on my FACE! 7800! 7800! 7800! GOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD YEAAAAAAAH!!! Feel it! Feel it!

Cousin Vinnie

BTW. I know sarcasym is hard to pick up in the written word, but I don't care one way or the other about people's perceptions about the 7800. I am a grown-ass man and I like to be funny. I know there are people on here that get bent out of shape about MARIA chips, but all of my posts this thread have been humor based.

I feel like an idiot for having to point that out, but apparently my humor is not seeping through to the dense.

Cousin Vinnie

Edited by Cousin Vinnie

Maybe I'm wrong, but since this is a 7800-specific forum, and Atariage prefers positive and constructive conversation in it's forums, and somebody here asked for positive reasons to keep a 7800; wouldn't that mean that all the fucking clowns who show up in here shouting people down complaining about things on the 7800 they don't like are really the A-Holes?

I think Vinny is hilarious, if for no other reason than to laugh at the people who think calling him a "fanboy" is going to make him feel bad or change his opinion to fit in with the crowd.

Actually dude, you are making an a-hole of yourself, not Apollo Boy. your posts show you are clearly a fanboy, and you are only trying to antagnoize. Nobody believes for a second you are trying to be funny.

Says the 5200 fanboy.

Look... I can't make this any clearer... my posts are an attempt to be humorous. I'm a frickin comedic entertainer in real life, for God's sake. The posts may not be funny to you, but that doesn't mean I am serious. I own a 7800 website and I'm a fairly big part of that community, but when I start getting red-faced and slam my keyboard down because folks like the 5200 more than the 7800, you are more than welcome to shoot me in the head in front of my children.

Thanks Danno! At least somebody here knows where I'm coming from after 8 years of being on this site. Book 'em

Vin

Ah, the old "I've been here longer than you, therefore I are right" argument. :roll: Almost as pathetic as the "I'm a grownup and you is a child" line you gave me via PM.

I certainly hope your livlihood is not dependant on your comedic abilities. You've yet to say anything remotely funny. All you've done is trolled for an argument.

Unfortunately I was dumb enough to feed you. :|