IGNORED

NTSC Rarity Guide - R10s

Dino

You're probably right.

Well, a nice litttle list:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft-MENU-2-...I-SOFT_LIB.html

If someone has anything to add or correct, please let me know.

8)

I would classify the ROMOX and XANTE carts as a copy cart. The fact that they are found with different games on them does not mean they should be listed as separate titles.

You're probably right.

Well, a nice litttle list:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft-MENU-2-...I-SOFT_LIB.html

If someone has anything to add or correct, please let me know.

8)

I would classify the ROMOX and XANTE carts as a copy cart. The fact that they are found with different games on them does not mean they should be listed as separate titles.

Yes, I'm thinking about doing this for the Romox.

Not for the Xante carts, because they carry different labels.

8)

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add a few things. Gauntlet with an Answer label is a true rarity 10. Also, "Air Raid" is the name given to the game by collectors. No one knows the real name of this game, what the box looks like or even if it had one. I feel like the game was sold in Mexico or Argentina and may have been sold in a hang tag action figure type pacgage with a cardboard backing. This is why if you go up to Gary Kitchen and ask him if he programed it, he wouldn't even know what you are talking about.

As far as the Romox carts or Xante carts go, they are one in the same. I don't know if they are rarity 10's because they are actually all one of kinds considering two of the same game hasn't been found yet. There may need to be a separate classification for these abnormal releases. Romox, Xante, Beagle Brothers, all these have similar histories. Value and rarity may never be settled upon and that never really bothered me at all. I prefer to collect abnormalities when it comes to video games and these companies certainly qualify.

I think this is one of the reasons why i decided to focus on instructions and prototypes so much. There are endless abnormalities when collecting both of them.

Thanks for your input, Matt.

Gauntlet was already on the list.

You're right about Air Raid.

I should call it Unknown Game (Men-A-Vision), but then again: Air Raid is already a well known, almost legendary name by now, so I leave it this way.

I made a note on the game's entry page though:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...ERSION_ID=16186

Aren't Romox and Xänte carts slightly rarer than Beagle Brothers carts?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Well, yes. Beagle Brothers carts are thought to be a hoax. But I do remember as far back as 1996, I heard of them existing. So, it seems like those Beagle Bros. games that turned up on ebay just a few years ago were made by someone faking pirates that were originally made in the 1990's from what I can gather. Or, they were remade by the same person trying to pirate rare titles since the latest ones I saw were quadrun, crazy climber and mystique titles near the year of 2003 on ebay.

I didn't mean to make beagle bros carts look like they are on par with romox and xante. Both Romox and Xante carts were sold in department stores in the 1980's so i think they should count as an actual release unlike the Beagle carts that were pirates.

In case people are wondering, I remember seeing a kiosk when I was a kid in JCPenny's just up the street from my house. I can't remember if it was Romox or Xante but I do remember it not saying Atari and the games played in a 7800 that was set up in the store.

I should call it Unknown Game (Men-A-Vision), but then again: Air Raid is already a well known, almost legendary name by now, so I leave it this way.

So how did it come to be known as Air Raid?

Pitfall Harry said he ran into a guy once who claimed to have this game and also the box. He said the title of the game was Air Raid.

• 2 months later...

Funvision Karate T-Handle? PAL Pengo?

Also, I noticed Magicard is in there. Is this a "true" R10? i thought that quite a few magicards are known to exist? Are you making an exception for this label variation? How many white labels or plain board versions are known to exist?

Edited by Dino

So how did it come to be known as Air Raid?

I think that stated with Digital Press. Someone claimed they saw this unknown game (at that time) called Air Raid and Joe scoffed it off as crazy talk.

Funvision Karate T-Handle? PAL Pengo?
Nope.

8)

So, what are your criteria then?

As far as I can see, there are 3-4 known copies of Funvision Karate T-Handle and about 5-6 of PAL Pengo.

On the other hand, I think there are the same or even more copies of say Air Raid, General Re-Treat / Westward Ho or even Ultravision Karate known to exist.

Do you assume, more PAL versions will will be found in the future?

I'm not sure about keeping Air Raid on that list.

And I'm sure there are more Funvision (stickered) Karate T-handles out there.

Same goes for PAL Pengo.

About General Re-Treat / Westward Ho: exactly how many are known to exist?

8)

According to this there are 4 copies in the hands of people on this site. And yes, more copies of Karate and Pengo will come up with time, but this most probably holds true for all of the games on your list.

I'm not sure about keeping Air Raid on that list.

And I'm sure there are more Funvision (stickered) Karate T-handles out there.

Same goes for PAL Pengo.

About General Re-Treat / Westward Ho: exactly how many are known to exist?

8)

According to this there are 4 copies in the hands of people on this site. And yes, more copies of Karate and Pengo will come up with time, but this most probably holds true for all of the games on your list.

I'm with Stab on this one. ROM, you need to have consistency with a rarity guide. You need to choose what's your limit on R10s. If its up to 10 (for example), then all games of which 10 or less are currently known to exist, then they need to be classified ar R10s. If the number of any particular cart exceeds 10, then it gets removed.

Agreed.

Let's draw the line at max. 3 known to exist for now.

What can be removed and what can be added?

Please help me out here.

Man, I hate rarity.

This thread alone proofs to me that a true VCS cart rarity list is complete BS (as I already stated years ago).

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Agreed.

Let's draw the line at max. 3 known to exist for now.

What can be removed and what can be added?

Please help me out here.

Man, I hate rarity.

This thread alone proofs to me that a true VCS cart rarity list is complete BS (as I already stated years ago).

8)

From your current list remove Air Raid, Gauntlet, General Retreat, Karate T Handle, Magicard. You should add the Mystique double enders, Jungle Fever/Knight on Town (Playaround) PAL and Inca Gold. :cool:

post-7232-1207610258_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dino