IGNORED

jetpac port for a8

xxl

Pengwin - surely the reason ant attack is mono is because the game is isometric and the attribute layout on the speccy screen is orthogonal, not becuase Sandy wanted to make a mono game!?!? Just look at Realm of Impossibility (Zombies) or other iso games on the A8 like Bluemax to see how the 160 wide mode would look ideal for iso games!

I liked the CPC screenshots of Tripods BTW...

That's kind of the thing, I prefer the spectrum graphics of The Tripods over the CPC version. I think the higher res suits it. But you have given me something to think about, particularly at this stage of development, where I can change my mind without having to rework much.

emkay - what do you mean - some largely mono stuff with spot color like that image of Dizzy you posted a while ago!!?! I cannot see the beauty in these images truth be told, they leave so much of the A8's power untapped...

Don't forget: Only when using hires, you can use objects with the preciseness of hires. You cannot move lowres objects in 256(320)x192 resolution which is recommended for the gameplay of the spectrum version.

Clever overlay on not moving objects and some mixing of PM with background really will show unleashed powers of the A8...

Perhaps you don't see "beauty" in pictures, as many people see beauty in fixed c64 pictures but the game is crap.

Have you ever seen hires colour games that are working for real? The real impression is then, when you see it working.

Here is the Status Bar of Druid. I do not really like the graphics of the game, but that bar is very impressive because of the hires/lowres mixing. Looking at the "fire" it has real 4 colours same with the "water drop" .

Edited by emkay

emaky - what do you mean - some largely mono stuff with spot color like that image of Dizzy you posted a while ago!!?! I cannto see the beauty in these images truth be told, they leave so much of the A8's power untapped...

This is an often overlooked, subtle, yet very useful capability of the a8's.

When tastefully done, it can add a lot of character to this mono-mode.

post-6369-1185330916_thumb.jpg

post-6369-1185331203_thumb.jpg

post-6369-1185331486_thumb.jpg

post-6369-1185332027_thumb.jpg

Yes I conceed those are better examples of the technique (IK uses it too, as do many other games) - but personally I think it looks like what it is - monochrome washed with a thin color.

At best it is an interesting artifact (speaking of which it looks garbled on my 1200 XL NTSC hardware) - but I still posit that it robs the display of the qualities of the A8's superb palette...

Anyway - it's not my choice, but may be your choice, and that's fine - I am not trying to dictate anything.

sTeVE

P.S. That Druid staus bar is UGLY emkay, despite the technique the image is poor, both compared to the original C64 version and status bars of other A8 games (yes they are all by Richard Munns, I like his style!):

post-579-1185346539_thumb.jpg

post-579-1185346547_thumb.jpg

post-579-1185346553_thumb.jpg

post-579-1185346559_thumb.jpg

Yes I conceed those are better examples of the technique (IK uses it too, as do many other games) - but personally I think it looks like what it is - monochrome washed with a thin color.

At best it is an interesting artifact (speaking of which it looks garbled on my 1200 XL NTSC hardware) - but I still posit that it robs the display of the qualities of the A8's superb palette...

Anyway - it's not my choice, but may be your choice, and that's fine - I am not trying to dictate anything.

sTeVE

P.S. That Druid staus bar is UGLY emkay, despite the technique the image is poor, both compared to the original C64 version and status bars of other A8 games (yes they are all by Richard Munns, I like his style!):

Erm.... We really do have different tastes ;-)

Actually, I have bought an original copy of Plastron in th eearly 90's . I liked the game, but I never understood why people put this almost ugly status bars onto the game graphics. Why not using hires with overlays for better visuals...

Now, I know.... ;)

two mode:

- oryginal zx spectrum (pmg/colormap or interlance $f / $f gtia for 8 color - screeen soon)

- deluxe (level code, normal/hard, new graphisc, fuel for rocket, fuel for laser, oxygene for jetpac, time limit)

I was suggesting the technique for the author's sake, which is something he apparently already had in mind.

My personal prefernce is usually to combine modes or to stick with Antic 4. However, I do like to see some of the other modes used, even if they are not my typical choice for games.

To be honest I'm not overly fond of the capabilities of Antic 15. I find artifacting nearly useless, and not being able to pick individual colors for the background & foreground is very limiting (imagine the things that would be possible by simply changing that). Hence, the reason for using p/m graphics.

Anyway, I think Sodoku Sweep is great and I like the looks of this one as well.

Edited by MrFish

I think you mean antic F, antic E is four color mode :P

But I understand your sentiments...

sTeVE

I don't.

I would have payed good money for good hires games on the A8.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...st&id=31401

The Screen is a mockup, done with G2F. No complex overlay and only one player has to be used to give the protagonist his separate colour.

As you may see, you could do the whole background in blue and one overlayed player gives 2 colours (black& white) to the "hero".

Hmm well,

when I am asked if I would prefer a) high resolution with black and white or b) medium resolution with colors, then I would always answer: medium res. with colors. but thats just my personal taste, I prefer colors more than resolution...

Anyway, played the (PD ?!? or commercial?!?) version of Jetman (by David Eaton) for a while and found out that it is quite lame, since there is not really a need to move up or shoot the enemies. You can just wait until the fuel falls on the floor, pick it up and drop it on the spaceship or rocket, until it starts. Next level comes, with nothing new then, so it is really very lame...

Seeing the AVI of Jetpac however (I miss the colors but anyway), this seems to be different, since you have to collect the fuel (or whatever it might be) on different platforms, thus you must move up and of course also kill the enemies hindering you to pick up the fuel. So Jetpac is the better version... hope to download it soon... -Andreas Koch.

Just had a play with the test. I like it, very faithful to the original.

The only issues are that you cannot tell how much fuel is in the rocket (although that's not really a problem, just keep fueling until the fuel stops coming) and it's not as fast as the Spectrum version.