IGNORED

Is Hard Drivin' worth getting?

Damon Plus

I agree with just buy it too. Just because it's rated low doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. Look how low Tournament Cyberball is rated and it's one of my favorite Lynx games.

wow, I am surprised. Cyberball on the Lynx is pretty bad compared to other systems.

if you play it like real football your fine, oh and don't run the ball. if you let the receivers run their routes passing is a breeze, and running the ball with the QB is fine too, especially to the left, if the blockers do their job and don't let the defense through, you can easily run for 5-10 yards but only certain plays will your blockers allow you to do this. Playing defense is easy too, just go into long defense every play, choose a corner as your defender and hope you picked the side the offense is throwing too, then pass interfere like it's nobodies business, their's no penalties so any pass you interfere on will either go incomplete or for short gain.

Great game in my opinion, all in how you play it.

From a technological standpoint it's pretty neat to see Hard Drivin' run on the Lynx. Playwise, if you tap the D-pad left and right you'll have a much better chance at controlling your vehicle. Also, keep an eye on that little ball on the steering wheel that tells you how far you're turning the wheel. I have he game on one of the Midway comps for PS2 and it doesn't control much better on that. Well, maybe a little...but nothing compares to the arcade steering wheel. Yeah, for $15, just get it. Of, course, I'm a sucker for any late-80's Atari arcade games ported to the Lynx.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know the topic is Hard Drivin but...this is just too freaky on the Cyberball thing.

if you play it like real football your fine, oh and don't run the ball. if you let the receivers run their routes passing is a breeze, and running the ball with the QB is fine too, especially to the left, if the blockers do their job and don't let the defense through, you can easily run for 5-10 yards but only certain plays will your blockers allow you to do this. Playing defense is easy too, just go into long defense every play, choose a corner as your defender and hope you picked the side the offense is throwing too, then pass interfere like it's nobodies business, their's no penalties so any pass you interfere on will either go incomplete or for short gain.

Holy COW. Atari5200, have you been opening my brain and studying it when I'm not looking? ;) That is my EXACT strategy from top to bottom!

Great game in my opinion, all in how you play it.

I'm with you here too. T.C. for the Lynx is NOT a great conversion from the arcade original. But I do think it's fun.

Hard Drivin...now, that is neither a great conversion nor fun.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I'm one of the few people who likes Hard Drivin', it is indeed hard, but rewarding once you get the hang of it. I completed the stunt track a couple of times and it helped me to be pretty good at the arcade version right away.

It runs much better on a 24Mhz lynx BTW.

EDIT: Oh man, another necro bumped thread :^(

Edited by Lamer Deluxe tm

Speed track is very easy. I can do multiple laps without taking my thumb off the gas. Just don't mash the steering wheel, tap it and generally one can stay on the road multiple laps without crash or stopping.

Did you know? When you do a one lap race in the final, you can ignore sign and do the speed track and beat the CPU easy.

Speed track is very easy. I can do multiple laps without taking my thumb off the gas. Just don't mash the steering wheel, tap it and generally one can stay on the road multiple laps without crash or stopping.

Did you know? When you do a one lap race in the final, you can ignore sign and do the speed track and beat the CPU easy.

Yeah! I like Hard Drivin on the lynx for what it is (a choppy but impressive 3d game on the lynx). I discovered the one lap race trick to go around the signs, which works fantastic in the lynx version. On some of the other ports, it does not work, b/c the cpu will finish the stunt track before a well run lap through by you through the speed track - I suppose either due to slight alterations in how the track is laid out in other ports or the speed Phantom Photon drives.

• 7 years later...

If this game was only a little smoother. I wonder how much more they could have squeezed out of the Lynx. 

This was a contract job and I don't think NuFX was looking to do much more than fulfill a contract. 

I've often wondered what could have been done to motivate these developers. Perhaps do like Core did with the Tomb Raider team and give them a percentage of the profits. 

I doubt cheap Atari would have been willing to do that.

The programmer who did hard drivin on lynx was a very skilled guy and I get no impression that he slacked off on this game. I looked him up years ago and he actually still mentioned lynx hard drivin on his LinkedIn resume! Indicating that he single handedly developed a custom 3d engine for the lynx, a system that was not designed with 3d graphics in mind.  I am extremely impressed with hard drivin on lynx. I do not think it could have been done better on this hardware, and at the time, the rare games that did have 3d graphics on other consoles also ran at like 10 fps, so I don't think the lynx port is that awful in the framerate department by the standards of the day.

I believe the programmer also did the ninja gaiden 3 port, which involved him programming his own NES emulator in order to extract game graphics from the NES rom.  I remember this also being mentioned on his LinkedIn profile. 

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Was Hard Drivin' ever released on a system "designed with 3d graphics in mind", though? 😅

Good point ;) Apparently Race Drivin' got a PS1 and Sega Saturn port in Japan, but the game was long in the tooth by that time and imo it really deviates from the arcade game source material quite a bit in terms of graphics and gameplay. 

With respect to all the other ports, just goes to show you the jump in tech the arcade cabinet was compared to the consoles of the time.