IGNORED

Flashcart and Multicart List - All systems

I just played my SNES games on SNES Station on the PS2..ROM's loads fast, even if it loading from a flash drive...Why is the Super Everdrive soooo slow loading games??

I already explained this once before to you.

Why is the load time for ROM's like 20 seconds for big games like Super SF2 on the Genesis

On Fusion on the PC loading ROM's are quick, even on the 2GB Pen Drive is fast

There are two reason loading ROMs takes longer on EverDrives. The main reason is because the flash process is controlled by the host system's CPU. As we know these CPUs are very slow. You can't compare a modern PC CPU to a Genesis/SNES CPU. The second (minor reason) is because it uses Flash, which is not as fast as SDRAM. The advantage it has over SDRAM is that it retains the game in memory even after turning the system is off. Yes EverDrives could be made to load ROMs quicker, but it would also raise costs considerably.

To me this is a non-issue in most cases. Unless you play a new game every 2 minutes I am not sure why waiting an extra few seconds is really a problem. Also once a game is loaded it doesn't have to be reloaded if power is cycled.

That being said, the ED64 uses SDRAM and will load games much quicker than past EverDrives because it will have its own controller for loading from SD. This means its not relying on N64 processor to do the work. SPI mode should load games at 3 to 6MB/sec. If Igor gets SD mode working you are talking about 20MB/sec. Launch ED64 may not have this mode working, but may be added in an OS update.

SD cards being slow is pretty much a myth. Some of the competitors try to point out using SD cards is a handicap. However the SD has really nothing to do with the load speed in this case.

hi there

May I know more about the

Ward Shrake's Arcadia 2001 multicart

or where to find the producer ?

many Thanks

MAX

I believe there were 34 or them sold back in 2002 and I think that is all he made and I don't think he is planning on making anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

As stated quite a few times before. The Firmware and OS are NOT the same thing. Firmware requires special hardware to update. The OS does not require anything special to update. Firmware is the low level stuff, OS is the higher level stuff.

A few notes I have learned regarding v24 OS:

• You must reformat your SD card to FAT32
  • Old game saves are not compatible with new OS, so if you are in middle of a game I suggest waiting to upgrade until you are complete

• 2 weeks later...

Krikzz is now selling the Everdrive64 on his site. $99 plus CIC install $15 plus $15 for the shell. Now I still think the 64drive is slightly better in features, but that guy has been talking about $200 for the finished package and that's really crazy.

What features are better? I am curious since no one has either yet. I am not trying to sound like jerk, I am just curious.

Based on the specs, the 64drive should load a little less than twice as fast which is nice. The 64drive website claims that all but two games can be run on it. Reading over at Assemblergames, Krikzz may implement flashRAM saves in a future update, but the 64Drive will have that capability at release. It also looks like marshallh put a lot of effort into the software.

As with Krikzz's previous carts, there's a lot of unknowns at the moment, but he always creates exceptional products. The 64Drive also looks like an exceptional product though. We're going to have to see which ends up being the better cart. And if these extra features are worth the extra cost of the 64Drive.

Does Krikzz have an update on the compatibility rate?

When will the Deluxe Version be available on your website, StoneAge?

Based on the specs, the 64drive should load a little less than twice as fast which is nice. The 64drive website claims that all but two games can be run on it. Reading over at Assemblergames, Krikzz may implement flashRAM saves in a future update, but the 64Drive will have that capability at release. It also looks like marshallh put a lot of effort into the software.

As with Krikzz's previous carts, there's a lot of unknowns at the moment, but he always creates exceptional products. The 64Drive also looks like an exceptional product though. We're going to have to see which ends up being the better cart. And if these extra features are worth the extra cost of the 64Drive.

Does Krikzz have an update on the compatibility rate?

When will the Deluxe Version be available on your website, StoneAge?

Honestly at the current speed of the ED64 I am not sure if 1 - 2 seconds difference is that big of a deal. I do think Igor's cart boots up quicker than 64drive. However, Igor said it will be possible to make it even faster in the future with updates to the software. He just made EverDrive-MD load faster with latest OS.

I am not even sure marshall has got flashram working, last I heard he had not and was having some issues with it as well, but that may have changed. If it he has got it working then ignore that.

Marshall's interface may look much nicer than Igor's, but I am not sure its actually better. We shall see. I actually asked Igor to let me do some graphics for the menu to make it look nicer. He said it wasn't necessarily because he is more interested in function over looks and he feels the ED64 OS will be easy to use and be able to display more information on the screen than 64drive.

I don't doubt 64drive will be a good product though. It does look great.

I should have ED64 boards in a few weeks. I hope to have Deluxe version ready by this time, but it may take another week or at worse two weeks. I want to release this as a complete product. First runs of other ED Deluxes did not have printed manuals like they do now. I don't want to do that with ED64. One thing I can say is the Deluxe will be quite a bit cheaper than 64driver's current $200 price tag and it will come with colored cart (either black or dark blue, colors may be option or I may just only do one color), 8GB SDHC card (16 & 32GB will be upgrade options), plastic case, printed manual, and some other goodies.

Krikzz is now selling the Everdrive64 on his site. $99 plus CIC install $15 plus $15 for the shell. Now I still think the 64drive is slightly better in features, but that guy has been talking about $200 for the finished package and that's really crazy.

Wow, it's already sold out! Argh I wants it

I upgraded Properly to the latest OS release but I still think the file system has issues. Supposedly under v25 each folder should recognize 250 files, I use Goodgen roms and I put even less roms in each folder than the maximum allowed and yet when I go into the folders it still appears not all files are displayed. I know this because it ends with titles that when I look under windows are followed by more than appear in the Everdrive menu. ALSO even more strange? A couple of the rom files appear as FOLDERS and of course when I attempt to "go into them" nothing is there or it just crashes, weird. I have tried several times re-formatting, copying over the roms AGAIN, re-doing the file structure, just cannot seem to get it running perfect. I love it no question but there always seems to be some error here or there. I am getting tired of fiddling with it, if I put roms in folders I just want them to show up properly and run.

I upgraded Properly to the latest OS release but I still think the file system has issues. Supposedly under v25 each folder should recognize 250 files, I use Goodgen roms and I put even less roms in each folder than the maximum allowed and yet when I go into the folders it still appears not all files are displayed. I know this because it ends with titles that when I look under windows are followed by more than appear in the Everdrive menu. ALSO even more strange? A couple of the rom files appear as FOLDERS and of course when I attempt to "go into them" nothing is there or it just crashes, weird. I have tried several times re-formatting, copying over the roms AGAIN, re-doing the file structure, just cannot seem to get it running perfect. I love it no question but there always seems to be some error here or there. I am getting tired of fiddling with it, if I put roms in folders I just want them to show up properly and run.

Most likely not the OS that's at fault in this case. SD card is probably not formatted properly. The EverDrive OS isn't as lenient on the way the card is formatted as Windows or other computer OS's are. I will ask Igor though next time he's on Skype.

What features are better? I am curious since no one has either yet. I am not trying to sound like jerk, I am just curious.

Unless I'm mistaken, Krikzz said that he was not about to get some of the flash ram saving working? I also expect the 64drive to use a nice GUI, while the ED64, from what I've seen, is just B&W text. Otherwise, I think Marshall may have to reconsider his MSRP of $200, because that's 66% higher.

Unless I'm mistaken, Krikzz said that he was not about to get some of the flash ram saving working? I also expect the 64drive to use a nice GUI, while the ED64, from what I've seen, is just B&W text. Otherwise, I think Marshall may have to reconsider his MSRP of $200, because that's 66% higher.

Do you know for a fact the 64drive has flashram save working? It has said it on the site since it was launched however it wasn't but a month ago a beta tester said he still hadn't been implemented. Everything has been kind of silence since and it has been sitting at Closed Beta for a long time. Yes again, the GUI is nice, but that does not make it functionally better by any means. The only thing that it means is that its looks nicer. I know sex sells, but looking better does not always mean it is better. Its not like Igor is incapable of doing a nicer looking interface, but like I already stated he is more interested in function over the look.

Honestly I don't know which will be better since I don't have either, let alone both. Based on price I expect the 64drive to be better, but like you said I am not sure if its going to so much better to justify the price.

Talked to Igor and he said there are some bugs that he has found that he is still working on. It may be better to just downgrade to v23 for now until these are fixed. He said newer v27 is available and more stable, but does have a couple more bugs that need to be fixed. He rewrote like 60% of the OS code I think between v23 and v24.