IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

I'm going for the hat trick this week with 3 straight wins.

No scores to post yet though. I've been playing the Normal version or whatever it's called.

Didn't actually notice until now that the ADVANCED setting is what we're supposed to be playing on.

Even better. Damn, levels 1-9 are BORING

2) Play the game with the A7800 ProSystem pack-in controller. :)

I would if my 7800 worked. Nothing but vertical lines when turned on. It's rather rusty inside.

That and I don't have the pack-in controller any more. I do have a Genesis 3-button controller that I was going to mod for the second button, but I haven't bothered to do that since the system doesn't work at the moment.

Well, I stink at this game. Averaging about 80,000 - 100,000 so far.

And I didn't realize that ADVANCED is the default starting level of the game. Every game is different it seems.

For instance Xevious is Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert with "Intermediate" being the default

But Galaga is Novice, Advanced, Expert with "Advanced" being the default.

Why no Intermediate?

It's like when you go to the movies and try to get a small soda. There is no small, there's only medium and large? But if there's only two sizes doesn't that make the medium a small?

Anyway......yes I think too much

BTW I think the challenge should be shooting %

But only if you get to level 15 or something.

You can't just shoot 1 guy and claim 100%

Well, I stink at this game. Averaging about 80,000 - 100,000 so far.

And I didn't realize that ADVANCED is the default starting level of the game. Every game is different it seems.

For instance Xevious is Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert with "Intermediate" being the default

But Galaga is Novice, Advanced, Expert with "Advanced" being the default.

Why no Intermediate?

Weird - I never noticed that. I was curious so I just checked the 7800 Software Standards. I guess it's compliant, they don't actually require you to have 4 difficulty levels.

They also don't seem to require that the high score be maintained - they just say it has to zero the scores if you change settings. That was an oversight in these specs.

BTW I think the challenge should be shooting %

But only if you get to level 15 or something.

You can't just shoot 1 guy and claim 100%

Maybe score * shooting% could be used.

Edited by gdement

Too bad I always play this one for boards cleared instead of waiting until they dive to up my points (I've never been able to play this one properly). I do pretty good in bonus stages though.The bonus stage at 15 is crazy cool.

I don't care what NES fans say, this is now my favorite version of Galaga. Arcade graphics arcade schmaphics. You can actually be agile in this version.

Edited by Atarifever

Here's a question for you guys

1 ship or 2?

Lately I haven't been allowing myself to get caught

makes you a bigger target IMO

Two. Always two. It's worth the extra trouble when the bonus stages hit. I mean, the bonus stage is a maximum of, what, like 20,000 points? Hard to pass that up.

Edited by Atarifever

1 ship or 2?

Two. Always two. It's worth the extra trouble when the bonus stages hit. I mean, the bonus stage is a maximum of, what, like 20,000 points? Hard to pass that up.

10,000. But it's 3900 or less if you miss even a single ship. I try to get 2 ships before the bonus stage, but mostly I think the double ship was a trick to get kids to lose their games faster. I get hit constantly that way.

1 ship or 2?

10,000. But it's 3900 or less if you miss even a single ship. I try to get 2 ships before the bonus stage, but mostly I think the double ship was a trick to get kids to lose their games faster. I get hit constantly that way.

Isn't it 10,000 + 400 per ship during the stage, plus 1000 for each complete wave during.

I managed to get a picture that shows the score (very blurily) and will try to post it tommorow from my work computer. The funny thing is, my old, flashless, miniture digital camera, that I gave away to the Salvation Army when I got this fancy, preview screen, sound rcording (though still old) one managed to take a couple scores for the 2600 one a couple years ago, yet it was everything I could do to get something half readable with this one.

By the way, do all 7800 games do the black screen thing when you leave them on pause long enough? I left he room for a minute in the middle of this game and when I came back the screen was blacked out. Just like with a computer, I jiggled the controller and it brought the pause screen back on.

Edited by Atarifever

Isn't it 10,000 + 400 per ship during the stage, plus 1000 for each complete wave during.

You're probably right. I forgot about the points you earn during the stage, I only thought about the bonus you get at the end.

i dont think im going to get a game in b4 this is over and i dont want to submit my around 40-50k score because i dont know EXACT score. ill see yall for robotron lata

:cool:

Atari Pro System High Score Comeptition

You are a green iguana basking under the warm sun. Just now, your friend Mr Frog called you and said he was lost in town. He's asked you to guide him step by step to his home. Across dangerous freeways, through roaring rivers, and arouns dangerous obstacles you must guide your lifelong pal home in time for his dinner. Grab the girlie along the way and munch a fly or two, 'cause you're gonna be the good Frogger.

This week's game:

Schmutzpuppe's homebrew version of Frogger

Difficulty: Standard. Difficulty switches should be set so that you cannot travel off the side of the screen in the river.

Recommended Controls: Pro Line Joystick

Challenge:

Clear ten screens

Congratulations to jwierer and Dauber for meeting the challenge in Pac-Man.

This is a beta version of Frogger, and we've been asked to be a testbed for game balancing and tweaking purposes. In addition to your high scores, bug reports, suggestions, and other input are welcome. I will be contacting the programmer so that he can follow this week in the HSC and make any changes he needs to.

I'm guilty of assuming too much--this post is based on one of the 2600 Frogger games' instruction manuals.

Robotron was mentioned, so that's the default title for next week unless you'd like to play a different game.

I know we've got a small library, but some titles are clearly better than others. I need game suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last week's sharpest shooters:

godzillajoe: 167,610

bfutrel: 131,900

Atarifever: 130,630

Dauber: 128,070

LarcenTyler: 97,370

Click one of the three links for the latest version of Frogger.

Those with emulators and users whose CC2 or RAM carts have the Pokey chip need this version:

Pokey

Those with a non Pokey RAM cart need this version:

TIA

Those with the XBoarD can try this version:

XBoarD

I stink at Frogger, but I'll give the best advice I can:

Remember to stay away from the crocodile mouths. You may be able to hop into a lily pad even if the crocodile is partway into the pad. Don't try this if he is fully present.

Try to fill the leftmost lily pad first, as it's the hardest to reach.

You don't always have to go after the lady frog. If you are too far away, getting her will cost you more bonus time than the points you will gain.

Edited by shadow460