IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

Couple other notes: I'll be using a 32K Pokey RAM cart with this game. Whoever has it loaded into the CC2, please post the info for that. Ditto for those who are using emulators.

7800ctrl.exe -tSEND froggie.bin

Edited by shadow460

Schmutzpuppe has posted versions of Frogger are posted on this page in post #255. I'll linkt to them when I'm adding in last week's scoreboard.

LarcenTyler's score came in before I knew about the new versions, so his score will stand as it is. I need everyone else to download the newest version for the HSC.

It doesn't matter for the HSC which of the three new versions you use, although I think Pokey is the best. XBoarD users may want to download the TIA or Pokey versions instead, since the XBoarD version is not yet tested.

Edited by shadow460

i grit my teeth and downloaded an emu so i could play with you guys this time...... :sad:

at least robotron is next week and ill get to go back to my ole ProSystem :D

p.s. when i downloaded the new version of frogger....i put it into a folder i thought was empty, so i thought the video below came with frogger :D :D have fun watchin..... :cool:

It's very likely because few people have the resources to play it on the actual hardware. even fewer have the tools to make a cartridge.

I used my RAM cart to play. It's a great port of the game. I've played an earlier version of Frogger on ProSystem EMU.

Let me put it this way: The first time I played this port, it was rough. Now it makes both of the 2600 Frogger games look bad.

Atari Pro System High Score Comeptition

It's happened. Humans have created super robots and supercomputers so powerful that they've begun to think for themselves. They think they don't like us.

Your job is to save all the clones you can of the last human family on Earth. The Robotrons know about you, and that you're the oonly one who is immune to their reprogramming.

It's all up to you. Do you have what it takes to carry out Operation Robotron?

This week's game:

Williams Electronics's Robotron: 2084

Difficulty: Intermediate

Recommended Controls: Two CX-40 Atari Joystick with a coupler. If you've got a PC to joystick cable in port 2, remove it. (That is, unless you'd like to shoot in that one direction for the whole game.)

Challenge:

None posted

Congratulations to jwierer and Dauber for meeting the challenge in Pac-Man.

Pole Position II has been mentioned before, so either that or perhaps Ballblazer will be next week's game. I can tell you that both of those will have challenges posted.

I know we've got a small library, but some titles are clearly better than others. I need game suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last week's HSC is still underway. It will end at the same time Robotron does. I encourage you to give Frogger a shot even if you have to emulate it or dig out your CC2 or RAM cart. It is worth the effort it takes to set up.

Fastest frogs so far:

1. LarcenTyler: 4130

2. PressureCooker2600: 3390

I really stink at Robotron, but the one glaring piece of advice is to clear the middle of the screen first. In the 3 minutes and 45 seconds I've played the game, I learned that this is the best way to start each level.

Here are some personal tips of mine:

-On the Brain waves (every fifth wave) you can earn a lot of points with ease. Kill off all of the enemies but leave one on screen (preferably a GRUNT if possible.) Then go after all of the humans on screen, since these waves have a lot of humans. Don't shoot the last enemy before you've rescued all the humans, or you'll forfeit a chance to earn BIG points!

-Don't go out of your way to rescue every human, as you can't save them all. Hulks are invincible, and even though you can move them out of the way with your rapid fire, it's not worth wasting the time.

-If you're playing with two joysticks, try to find a way to hold them down so it'll be easier on you. If possible, use Atari 2600 joysticks.

post-1653-1165080931_thumb.jpg

That timer bug really kills any enjoyment of the game for me right now. I was rocking it pretty good and lost *TWO* frogs because the timer continues to run after you get them all home. One gets taken away and the other just sits there and won't move until the timer runs out again. At that point, it's useless to keep trying as the later rounds always seem to end with just a few ticks left.

243,975 and wave 15

Not bad for my second game after not playing in a few years

Hints: Kill anything that "hatches" and creates more monsters that shoots at you first. Those red spheres and boxes with the X in them turn

And definitely use two sticks or you don't stand a chance especially against the brains and their heat seeking lasers

And yeah on the brain waves, leave one grunt alive and pick up as many humans as you can for some big points.

This game is so much fun but I gotta figure out a better stick alignment. My hands are killing me after only a couple of games!