IGNORED

Previous 7800 HSC Rounds

shadow460

Atari Pro System High Score Competition

This week's competition has bugs! Save your garden from the nasty critters and avoid contact with them at all costs! Centipedes invade your precious garden, while scorpions poison your crop. Fleas add more mushrooms to the infestation, and the fearful spiders are there as guradians over the rest of the insects. Fend off the spiders, dodge the fleas, kill the scorpions and go after that Centipede!

This week's game:

Atari's Centipede

Difficulty: Both switches in the B position, one player standard

Recommended Controls: CX-22 Trak-Ball, CX-80 Trak-Ball. Use of the Trak-Ball hacked version is welcome as long as it's use it noted with your score. Make sure to set the Trak-Ball to Joystick mode if you're playing the original version.

Challenge:

Post a two player cooperative game with both scores in excess of 50,000.

Congratulations to Dauber for meeting the challenge in Pac-Man Collection!

Next week will probably be the original Ms Pac Man to keep us in the theme of Pac-Man. I'm hesitant to run PMC until the incompatibility is resolved. The Cuttle Cart 2 is a viable option if our members have it.

New records:

godzillajoe: Joust 149,850

Last week's hungriest creatures:

1. Dauber: 135,390

2. godzillajoe: 27,100

3. LarcenTyler: 5,310

Centipede strategy:

The scorpion can be used to your advantage. When the centipede hits a poisoned mushroom, it will travle downward in a straight line, making it easy to pick off. Creating a mushroom tunnel will have the same effect.

If you're not going after the spider, stay behind it. If you are going after it, wait until it gets close and blast away for 900 points.

Try to clear out as many mushrooms in the player's area as possible. This will cause a rain of fleas worth 200 points each. When you're done shooting fleas, let them leave a few mushrooms behind.

Most impotrant tip, create a mushroom tunnel that will funnel the centipede down to you in a single file.

Also, spiders eat mushrooms so if your playfield is getting crowded, let them go. But get behind it. Spiders don't backtrack as shadow460 already mentioned.

I'll post my score a bit later....

Monday we'll start Ms Pac Man. One of our members asked about starting games Monday so that we'd have the weekend to play 'em after we'd had a little practice.

I'm all for that myself, since my weekends are still almost too hectic as it is.

Did we start Ms. Pac Man?

Is this the Atari released Ms. Pac-Man or the Ms. Pac-Man on the Collection?

Atari Pro System High Score Competition

Flash back to the early '80's and enter into the dimly lit, smoke filled atmosphere of your local arcade. Children roam about bugging their parents for quarters to play the likes of Pac-Man and Asteroids. A lovely woman enters, captivating the hearts of everyone in the room. Colors change. Monsters run. New snacks appear, and new events happen.

In an age where putting up quarters has long since passed, your mind drifts back to the lobby of the local department store. The person before you fights until one last fighter explodes and declines to continue.

Your quarter drops, and you change the game mode to Ms. Pac-Man.

This week's game:

Namco's Ms. Pac-Man (the Atari release)

Difficulty: Both switches in the B position, one player standard

Recommended Controls: CX-40 Atari joystick

Challenge:

Clear the second set of blue boards..

Congratulations to Dauber for meeting the challenge in Pac-Man Collection!

Next week we're looking at Scrapyard Dog if there is enough interest. If not, we'll stick to the '80's and run Asteroids instead. The following week we're back to Pac-Man Collection!

The HSC is now running Tuesday to Tuesday. The deadline is midnight CST Tuesday leading to Wednesday. The next week's game will be posted Tuesday evening, giving players an overlap of a few hours.

New records:

godzillajoe: Joust 149,850

Last week's fastest blasters:

1. Shawn Sr. 296,330

2. acousticguitar 92,562

3. godzillajoe 47,968

4. Shannon 26,931

5. mightymage 25,000

6. LarcenTyler 11,942

Stage directions:

Several tactics will help keep you ahead of the monsters:

The Square: I find it's easiest to clear out a roughly square area of each maze as soon as possible. You might have to deviate from it, but keep coming back to it until it's clear.

Misdirection: Try going the long way around some of the barriers to keep the monsters guessing.

The Lure: Wiggle the stick to attract the monsters toward you, then either make your break for a tunnel or grab an energizer.

Edited by shadow460

296,330 with my trakball using the retail version. No where near my best but hey I saw centepede so I thought I would input a score this week :) I tried to get my wife to play also but she said she doesn't have time to kick my ass, cause she can and her score would blow mine away.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

53,910 so far.

I love the new schedule too.

You can sneak in a few practice games during the week, see how everyone is doing and then have all day Saturday and Sunday to get better.

I get most of my gaming in on Saturday and Sunday mornings

Hints that seem to work for me:

On the first two boards, chase the ghosts after you eat the power pill since you have lots of time and all four gets you lots of points

Stop doing that starting on the third board and just focus on clearing the screen, split the screen into quarters and clear each quarter with each power pill

The ghosts slow down again on the pear level, so go after them again

Then stop going after them again and resume the clear screen method.

When you get to the banana level, try and hang out near the tunnels so you can eat it as soon as it appears. But always get the banana, it's worth 5,000 points and worth the risk

Edited by godzillajoe

A few more tips:

- Remember that the prizes come out according to the number of dots eaten, NOT according to time. I think it's around 57 or 58 dots, so plan your moves accordingly! This is really easy on the pear/banana mazes -- just eat the dots out of the little upside-down T enclosure under you, then work your way to a tunnel -- instant bonus!

- The dots DO NOT slow you down, which I never realized until someone pointed it out in one of the Pac-Man Collection! threads.

- On the pear/banana maze, clear out the lower corners as soon as you can, ideally right after eating the power pill -- I seem to get trapped there all the time!

Edited by Dauber