IGNORED

Atari CX40 usb joystick by Curt

Philsan

wow.. just wow..

this thread has taken a huge ugly turn... I really don't know what to say, but want to say something. I really can't believe all the backlash that Curt's getting for trying to get a much needed product into the hands of those who really want it. I'm sad to see people putting this product ahead of concerns over Curt's health. No one plans to have heart problems, Curt's been hit 3 times and has come back swinging each time, still looking at ways to give back to the Atari community. LEG is a small company, catering to a small group of people. They don't have the same pull major manufacturers have when it comes to getting products made so in turn have faced complications. No matter how many hurdles they jump they are faced with criticism by the same people they are trying to produce these products for. It's a wonder he hasn't thrown his hand in the air and given up. I really can't believe the backlash he's received. Sure, I can understand the concerns of the consumer doe to these delays, but people have posted showing they have received the product and it's perceived as a conspiracy.

This is unbelievable....

Well for anyone who isn't satisfied with their order, I didn't get in on the first 10,000 sticks. I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Ditto.

For anyone that is surprised about the hostility in this thread just remember what Gabe and Tycho taught us:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/

Tempest

Way to define irony, "Tempest".

What is it with people who want to throw the word irony around where it doesn't apply lately? Was it the word of the day on a calendar or something?

Bottom line is that if everyone has been given an 'out' if they're not happy with their joystick or if they want to cancel their order. Continually rehashing this is just beating a dead horse and is not helpful.

Tempest

For anyone that is surprised about the hostility in this thread just remember what Gabe and Tycho taught us:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/

Way to define irony, "Tempest".

Golan "gklinger" Klinger (for the exceptionally ungifted cryptographers)

There's no irony, his name is Matt Reichert and is well known on here. Oh, and its clearly stated on his AtariProtos site included on his link. Way to prove what you're really here for. Good going!

It's pretty obvious that these two aren't going to be happy, no matter what. They're just a couple of flamers who have nothing to do but cause hate and discontent. I love the conspiracy theories, though. Yeah, I'm just a fanboy, hired by Curt to create the illusion that the sticks are being shipped out. LOL!

One of 2 things will probably happen:

1. They'll cancel their orders/return their sticks and then bitch about how they don't have one when everyone else is showing off theirs. Or...

2. They'll get their sticks/keep their sticks and post about how much they suck and weren't worth the wait or the money or whatever.

That's just my opinion, but I know it doesn't matter much, since I'm just a fanboy, right? :roll:

(Pssssst...hey Curt, I did my part...you can send me my check now.) :D

Everyone has been great with the support, those who've questioned, or complained or are disappointed... plain and simple - cancel your order, I don't need the BS, aggrevation or "the money for my medical bills" so cancel and take your money back and move on.

Again, I apologize for any offense. I didn't mean to come off sounding like a jerk. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better and hope that your health continues to improve. I was simply trying to figure out how much longer I need to wait. My e-mail asking about an ETA went unanswered, so I thought this would be a good place to see what I could find out. I have no intention of canceling my order, and will try to be more patient. Thanks for the hard work. I'm really looking forward to playing MULE on the PC with my kids the way it was meant to be! :)

InfoMan has put it just right. I don't want to be a jerk either. It's just that I am so excited about these sticks (MULE for me too!) and the fact that my October order was lost (having an order lost is always a little nerve-racking) that it's just human nature to try and get an ETA on their arrival. I truly understand the situation and as I said before am willing to wait--I guess I just wanted to get a confirmation of the order, especially considering that the first batch is sold out. I ordered right away in October so that I wouldn't be left out of that original 10,000 and emailed the address on the web page with a copy of my invoice as soon as I read here that that was the process to follow.

What truly sucks is that a very vocal minority who have been extremely rude to Curt and LE as a whole have made it really difficult for those of us who DO understand and who DO respect the extenuating circumstances to ask about ETAs and the like without stepping on toes and being viewed as just more whiners.

Everyone has been great with the support, those who've questioned, or complained or are disappointed... plain and simple - cancel your order, I don't need the BS, aggrevation or "the money for my medical bills" so cancel and take your money back and move on.

Again, I apologize for any offense. I didn't mean to come off sounding like a jerk. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better and hope that your health continues to improve. I was simply trying to figure out how much longer I need to wait. My e-mail asking about an ETA went unanswered, so I thought this would be a good place to see what I could find out. I have no intention of canceling my order, and will try to be more patient. Thanks for the hard work. I'm really looking forward to playing MULE on the PC with my kids the way it was meant to be! :)

I sent Curt a PM on here, and he was quick to ask me for my order info. Hopefully that means I'll be seeing my Joysticks soon. I'm surprised he's done as much as he has in his health condition - if I were in NY, I'd be helping him send out the packages.

I just did a run of 100 production 16K TI-99/4A cartridge boards (bank switched), and yeah, that was some hard work. I can only imagine what 100,000 orders are like on one person.

- jg

Settle down, people.

I can't believe people get so worked up over this.

I haven't ordered these sticks, but they're on my "want" list.

I'd rather have the cords built-in anyway - so they won't unplug during use, so the cord will always be with the controller, and when the cord is wrapped up the connector won't stick out so far. If it came the other way, I can't say I'd really give a shit, as long as the controller worked. Some of you people are acting like you got a box of rocks. ("not what I ordered, etc.) Why not just get some from the competition? Oh there isn't any? Pisser, huh? Must be a niche product.

Personally, I'm delighted that retro-gaming products - and specifically those targeted to the Atari community - are actually on the market at all. I am extremely pleased with the Flashback 2, and I would (will) easily buy from the folks behind that. Additionally, if the people behind these products put up an online "Atari museum" it must be indicative of their passion and dedication to a hobby that I enjoy. These certainly should be mitigating factors in anyone's concern.

These small companies or individuals who cater to Atari in 2009 (almost sounds ridiculous, the year) are actually a treasure to the enthusiast. I consider myself lucky to have suppliers for new Atari stuff like Legacy and Atarimax, it's like a dream come true. I certainly hope the proprietors of these organizations are reading and understand where I am coming from, and that likely many others concur.

I'd say if you're a consumer who's short on appreciation for niche products, and long on the piss and moan factor, you should tailor your tastes to the mass market which is geared to deal with your type. You should be buying a Wii at Walmart, shitting all over it, and then taking it back to customer service and demanding your money back because it's a "piece of shit."

If you don't consider yourself fortunate by virtue of merely being able to purchase NEW retro Atari products (at all) in the 21st century, I'd say you'd be wise to consider your attitude incompatible with a [relatively] small market niche product, and the small firm(s) behind them which naturally are going to encounter small firm difficulties; steer clear because this shit isn't mass market. Head to Wal Mart, and pick from the selection there. The products are choice selected for difficult people in a mass market, and there's a department who specializes in pissers and moaners waiting just for you. They don't have niche Atari products? Pisser, huh? You'd be doing a tremendous favor to three parties: (1) Yourself, since you can't be satisfied, (2) the small retro-catering organization that can't please you, even with a refund, and (3) the rest of the retro/Atari market who is praying right now you don't effectively discourage them from future niche products they can't get anywhere else.

moaners waiting just for you. They don't have niche Atari products? Pisser, huh? You'd be doing a tremendous favor to three parties: (1) Yourself, since you can't be satisfied, (2) the small retro-catering organization that can't please you, even with a refund, and (3) the rest of the retro/Atari market who is praying right now you don't effectively discourage them from future niche products they can't get anywhere else.

That a lot of bitching from someone who hasn't even ordered the sticks, isn't it?

I'm sure none of us have a problem with niche markets, group buys, and hand made products...(this is atariage after all for christs sake!) no need to ramble on about that. Focus your net-rage on the true problem at hand; lack of communication.

If you (the low volume niche market product engineer) accept way too many orders and cant build them fast enough; fine. If you have health problems and have to delay production; no problem - get well soon. If you'd just like to take a year off; great. Just let everyone know!

I'm still waiting for my sticks BTW. Sent an email with my invoice w/no response yet.

Personally, I count it a BLESSING that there is someone like Curt who will bring back a retro product and bust his ass to do it right.

Let's take a look. How many NES consoles clones are out there and haven't gotten them right?

How about other tech, like classic radios? Has there even BEEN a wooden box radio made in the last 40 years that's even close to the home radios of old?? No, they suck.

How about TV sets? I have yet to see anything that has the same features-- they're just not the same.

I have seen geeks.com has a USB VHS VCR, and a USB LP player. Both neat as hell, but not honest to the original. Lots of things are out there (none Atari, though) that do similar things with updated features. It's taken over 20 years to get a good retro product on the shelves.

ungh.

I just want to say thank you to Curt and all he has done for the community, his website has provided me with hours of enjoyment while learning a great deal. His products are awesome and I believe he puts in a lot of genuine care and pride into them. I just fear that because of some people, he might just give up on it all and that would be a loss for all of us. Any way I could go on and on.

Thank you Curt. :)

I took it upon myself to try and figure out what the actual cause of this never ending flame fest is... The fellows that are so unhappy are primarily commodore, win/tel only fans(with one exception that likes *nix). As evidenced by their heavy presence on related sites. It would appear that the whole thing is fueled by more than one agenda. As such perhaps they should send the joysticks to some one who wants and will be happy with them. Then they should go back to their favorite sites pat each other on the back and see who in their community can supply them with the same equipment. Everyone will be happy. It makes one mindful that the core tenants of Atari users helping one another and making viable products available to the community is still here. I always will be an Atari 8, Falcon/TT, Amiga supporter. The C=64/win/tel only crowd has always IMHO been very judgmental and hard on anything not geared towards their preference specifically. Thank God for open source, open minds, the Atari community, and the people who make it all happen!

Curt don't let anyone get you upset, you know your doing more of the right things these days and that is all that matters! May others become so fortunate!

The Doc

I can assume one of two things from your post regarding the alleged "flame-fest".

1. you are a moron on not worthy of anyone considering your ponderous remarks

or

2. your reading comprehension is around 2nd grade level.

First, everything I posted was a valid question to be asking 6 months after the fact.

I get that it is a small operation, I get that Curt has real health issues. I get that this is a niche product.

What I do not get is the rampant campaign to keep the nasty side of this thread alive. Almost all of the posters here have such blinders on when it comes to discussing this, that there is no discussion. Do I have a reputation for stirring the pot, you bet, morons bring out the worst in me.

Curt and I had civilized private messages regarding the status, and that was posted as satisfactory. Still the attacks come.

For the record I am involved in "niche hardware project" much more complicated than a Joystick (no offense Curt) I'll be happy to post the pics of the boards here once we receive them from the fab. I know what it takes to get this kind of a project from start to finish. I know what a hassle it is to have to plan for every contingency. The only difference besides time frame, is that I communicate with our customers on a regular basis. I understand there were extenuating circumstances this time, but, and I have said this a million times, trusting the word of some random peoples assurances on a message board is foolhardy to say the least.

For the record, I could not possibly be one of these people you found out about on message boards, as I am primarily a Mac user, promote BSD based firewalls and make a hell of a living supporting customers "wintel" systems (apparently if you use windows, somehow, in your mind, that makes you opinions less valid)

Perhaps you should start a fortune telling site, you seem to have a knack for processing the truth into fantasy...

Edited by dragos

I am frankly embarrassed of our little community at the moment. I really haven't much else to say.

I agree fully. It kills me to see even a slight argument on AA, no matter how friendly or tongue in cheek it presents.

What kills me more is knowing Curt's crisis a month or two back and how averting conflict probably trumped his own obvious need for healing.

These kind of projects, profitable or not are done for the love of it. If it was that hugely profitable or adequately a good "greed feed" then I believe Atari or someone else would have probably done this long ago and maybe Curt would have done all this last year or sooner. Let's face it, it's a stimulative effect for all involved. When that stimulation is overshadowed by logistical nightmares and pain it's hard to see why those involved would want to do it again.

I can verify on my own how messed up relations are with Chinese factories, agencies and the like right now. I'm trying to get some guitars made and I'll shit myself or have a heart attack yet from frustration alone. That, on top of Curt's unforeseen health crisis and you have the worst case scenario.

Let's just look at the Pandora project for example. There are numerous people involved in that but the bottle necks have been many. Let's imagine the project managers, engineers and logistical

people all became diverted with emergency open heart surgery at the same time. Would there be a few months delay? Yep. Even without such events, the project is well overdue now a good 4-6 months.

The battery design is still not finished (last I checked), the case molds are not finalized as the battery design might demand a mold modification etc etc etc.

I know I'll get my sticks and I know Curt will march forward with other projects for the love of it as we will look forward to his releases. Company, community or personal. And I know we will all put this behind us as a little over the top emotionally as well as logistically. It's a lesson for all that even the small stuff can be big stuff. Patience is probably the single most important prerequisite in these sort of things.

Let's just thank God Curt is healing up and doing the garage to curb relay getting these things out now that he had just a little time to heal up. And Curt, if you read this, do a little less than you feel you can right now. Don't frigging overdo it. :)

lol, I was looking for where these things are addressed to or at dragos specifically, and could not find it... seems he must feel as though things are directed squarely at him, I wonder why that is?

I think it is quite clear that the nay Sayers were wrong, end of story. I do find the continued name calling after having lost the whole conspiracy/crook/scam arguments quite entertaining though as my children do that sort of thing after they end a board game and the one who lost goes on while adding what they feel are qualifying conditions to continue their arguments. Since we can't send them to their rooms I think simply ignoring them will suffice. Eventually they'll go away.

I can assume one of two things from your post regarding the alleged "flame-fest".

1. you are a moron on not worthy of anyone considering your ponderous remarks

or

2. your reading comprehension is around 2nd grade level.

First, everything I posted was a valid question to be asking 6 months after the fact.

I get that it is a small operation, I get that Curt has real health issues. I get that this is a niche product.

What I do not get is the rampant campaign to keep the nasty side of this thread alive. Almost all of the posters here have such blinders on when it comes to discussing this, that there is no discussion. Do I have a reputation for stirring the pot, you bet, morons bring out the worst in me.

Curt and I had civilized private messages regarding the status, and that was posted as satisfactory. Still the attacks come.

For the record I am involved in "niche hardware project" much more complicated than a Joystick (no offense Curt) I'll be happy to post the pics of the boards here once we receive them from the fab. I know what it takes to get this kind of a project from start to finish. I know what a hassle it is to have to plan for every contingency. The only difference besides time frame, is that I communicate with our customers on a regular basis. I understand there were extenuating circumstances this time, but, and I have said this a million times, trusting the word of some random peoples assurances on a message board is foolhardy to say the least.

For the record, I could not possibly be one of these people you found out about on message boards, as I am primarily a Mac user, promote BSD based firewalls and make a hell of a living supporting customers "wintel" systems (apparently if you use windows, somehow, in your mind, that makes you opinions less valid)

Perhaps you should start a fortune telling site, you seem to have a knack for processing the truth into fantasy...

Also a "Retrofit Classic Kit" will also be coming out which will allow original Atari 2600 joysticks to be upgraded to USB

Hey Curt please let us know when these become available as I would certainly order 2 and I would have the Money order in the mail the day they become available.

I do not care how long it takes them to arrive just as long as they arrive.

I ordered mine in December, don't even think about it... I'll get it when I get it!

I ordered mine in October, and I haven't heard anything yet either. But I'm not too worried about it; I can certainly wait a little while longer.

As to some of the people who are basically causing trouble; I know all about those types. I've been working on open source projects for years, and on Stella in particular since 2001, and it never ceases to amaze me how some (very few minority of) people bitch and moan against someone for doing something that is essentially a labour or love. Particularly when they were near death! only a few months ago. I suggest those that can't wait do both side a favour and just get a refund.